Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 04:53   #6406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
so that means i will definitely have to go to delhi. my wifey is forcing me for a delhi trip. good for me he he he.

navinji, how do you stock your electronic components? what i mean to say is for e.g. if you are at a place where good electronic stuff is available would you buy what you need or buy some other stuff as well so that you dont have to come again and again? when i go to delhi, i would like to buy stuff that i need and the stuff i might use in future but i dont know what to keep stock of. i hope you understand what im saying.

cheers
clip

no need for keeping stock get the guys number. send them a DD they will courier it to you at your place simple..
Old 30th June 2007, 14:10   #6407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
no need for keeping stock get the guys number. send them a DD they will courier it to you at your place simple..
thanks for the help guys(lbm navinji sam) TRIDEV...lol
Old 30th June 2007, 19:04   #6408
BHPian

Upgrade Question

Sam, Navin
I tried going thru the pages but I gave up after going thru some 25 pages. I spent all my afternoon reading thru this thread. Most of the things went up my head, but this is an amazing thread. If I knew it is on here, I could have taken many informed decisions.

I am really crazy about music. Good sound is my weekness. Sam is lucky that he is doing what he loves. I would have also loved to do so but I cannot even understand whats negative and whats positive. Coming to the point - I have Fiat Adventure. I have upgraded the music in my car twice so far and am planning to upgrade it the third time on Monday (not so sure now, would definitely like to take advantage of this huge community and wealth of knowledge thats there before taking any decision).

Initial Fitting - I got Blaupunkt Bermuda with JBL gto526e in the front and JBL gto936e in the rear. The rear speaker were powered by a Sony 2 CH Amp (200W, I dont remember the RMS). The sound was really good. Anyone who heard the system, went impressed.

After a year I got bored and went to J.C road and asked for an upgrade. The shop keeper told everything is good, only thing you need to do is to add a bass module. I said okay.
First Upgrade - I replaced my Sony amp with a 4 CH JBL CE 60.4 Amp. Two channels powered my rear gto936e and two channels powerd the new bass module - JBL 1000W (I dont know the series, but I think its GTO). Again the sound improved a lot and anyone hearing the sytem went even more impressed. The only problem that the sound from the front speaker was barely audible. The system went on for 6 months and than I realized that I cannot live with this set up because there was no sound in the front and I was not able to fade.

I decided on my second upgrade. Believe me till this time I didnt even knew whats RMS or whats the model of amp or speakers are being put in the set up. For Amp was JBL amp and speakers were JBL speakers. I had came across Polk Audio advertisements on some of the automobile mag. So thought of putting Polk Audio. I took some advice from a different shop keeper this time. He said Bermuda has only two pre-outs and so you cannot power front, rear and woofer at the same time. I have now changed the HU to Alpine 9881 (awesome sound) and have 6 inch Polk DB 6501 component in the front powered by a JBL two chaneel amp (i dont know the model but I paid 4300 bucks for this two channel amp). I liked the sound for a week.

Just after two weeks of this second upgrade, I have decided to go for a third upgrade. The sound from the rear is not able to keep pace with the front components. The bass is not very effective. I am able to play loud but not loud enough. The sound starts jarring. After some research on the net, I could figure out that I have 100 RMS components in the front and my Amp is just 60 RMS. gto936e says 100 RMS on it but the shop keeper was saying it is 50 RMS per speaker. My plans are to buy a 100RMS per line 4 CH Amp and a 400 RMS Mono bloc. If do so, the shop keeper is saying that gto936e is a useless speaker and JBL is a useless amp. I said okay. Please suggest. Rockford Fosgate amp and Polk Momo Woofer 12 inch woofer. I dont understand if this required or by just changing the amp the gto936e and my JBL woofer will come alive. I just mentioned the amp that I am planning on. If you any suggestions for speaker or subwoofers, please share. If someone can tell my why the sound from my front component jars even when the speaker is 100 RMS and the amp is less then 100 RMS.

One more request. I am trying to read about all the audio concepts so that I understand what I am getting into. But everything looks so complicated that I have to give up. If you can suggest some good resource on the net or if I can buy from a book store which can explain me about all this hitrionics, I would be very grateful.

Sorry for the long posting.
Old 30th June 2007, 19:38   #6409
JPL
BHPian

Guruji's I need help with the amp settings on my audio setup in the car.
I have the following configuration: Alpine 9857+CS 60.4+ GTO 4" 427 in the front and Blau 369.1 50w rms 6x9+ JBL 300.1 +JBL 1204 BR.( all connected through pyle cable)

As I am a noob I also require directions to properly change the HPF, LPF etc.. whatever settings that need to be changed. I dont know hoot about these.( other reason being the amps installed below the seat which is difficult to reach, the amp is also taped with velcro to the car).

How I want the system to sound: I mostly listen to metal. Highs should sound a lil bit towards the higher side(cymbals), lows should sound tight and fast. Please gimme a suggestions and I shall hear the changes and set it accordingly. I dont want the front 4" speakers and the rear to distort. The bass should arrive fast and tight. overall clean sound with the right timing of the cymbals and the drums.

Please once again, I am noob to this so require all help.

Thank you people.
Old 30th June 2007, 20:03   #6410
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi JPL,

I hope you are well.

For the front (If I remember correctly, you have a santro) 427. No enclosure for the 4" speaker, can be used for mids and highs only.

On the CS60.4 front channel:
Bass Boost off.
HPF on.
HPF frequency - 120Hz-150Hz.
Level, about a little over half (Change as per taste later)

Blaupunkt Ovals in the rear
CS60.4 rear channel
Bass Boost off
HPF on
HPF frequency at 70-90Hz
Gain at a little under half. (Change as per taste later)

GTO1204 Bass-Reflex Box
connected to CS300.1
Bass Boost off
LPF is always on in monoblock, so no need for LPF HPF setting
LPF set at 80Hz
Gain: Keep at half and change later after you playback.

Nothing I say is writ, as this will depend on your taste. But this will serve as a basic guide.
Old 30th June 2007, 20:22   #6411
JPL
BHPian

Thank you Sam. yeah i do have santro. Am doing good, thanks.

Awesome steps for me to implement. Really appreciate it.

I will change the settings right now and log back in soon and let you know how it sounds. I will be playing "hallowed be thy name"-cof version.

Any other track recommended, please lemme know. Tomorrow I will be completely in to fine tuning with the pointers that you have provided.

Thanks again..and now its time.. hehe
Old 30th June 2007, 20:30   #6412
Distinguished - BHPian

I find Maiden's mixing to be a little flat. Of the entire NWOBHM, Def Leppard had perhaps the most studio based recording. Of course they sounded like a synthetic fruit punch, compared to maiden's beer.
Still, Number of the beast was an early recording, and CLive Burr played on Hallowed. I'd rather test with Nicko's drumming - Try Powerslave as an album. Overall I find Maiden's recordings to be a little flat on the kick drums.

I'm very inclined to modern alternative and progressive rock to test my speakers. Try Filter - Hey man, nice shot. Or Tool's-Ticks and Leeches or the entire Aenima or lateralus album, to test the quick bass.
Also if it's metal you seek, An excellent slbum to check guitars and kick drums is Metallica's ...& Justice for all.
For speed and thrash, Slayer's new album Christ Illusion is definitely a tester for me.

For a little guitar PLUS electronic drums, do try Radioheads Amesiac Album. If you need help procuring any of these, PM me.
Enjoy.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th June 2007 at 20:33.
Old 30th June 2007, 22:14   #6413
JPL
BHPian

Sam, music sound sweeter. bass arrives faster and tighter=reduced fatigue. settings on the 300.1 and almost perfect, need the bass to hit a little harder.

HU:
Bass=1
Treble=2
SW=6 0r 7.
BBE=Off.
SW mode =2

427, do not distort even when i increase the bass on the hu, unless i increase the vol to 20+

Rear blau speakers again distort less at the required vol and after changing the fader settings now both speakers compliment each other and bass arrives aptly. bass boost was on for the rear speakers also, now 0.

Songs played: hallowed be thy name, brave new world, 2 mins to midnight ;-), aces high, number of the beast. lotsa metallica tracks; for whom the bell, master of puppets etc..

will try def tracks tomorrow and fine tuning till it sounds like a rock machine with the present setup. yeahhhhh

Sam, you may agree that setting the HPF and LPF at the given frequency is bit of a work for a noob, however will tray again tomorrow and fine tune to reach these settings trying to match the way i want the music to play..

Thanks again Sam, I shall have a good night's sleep today.

Will try all the Artist and albums that you have mentioned, I have Aenima, powerslave, "Justice for all" and radiohead Amnesiac. I will try sourcing the others, if me not get it, sirji will PM you.

Iam happy . Thank you Sam.

Last edited by JPL : 30th June 2007 at 22:15.
Old 1st July 2007, 00:11   #6414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Sam, you may agree that setting the HPF and LPF at the given frequency is bit of a work for a noob, however will tray again tomorrow and fine tune to reach these settings trying to match the way i want the music to play..
You are doing far better than some so-called installers do. The apparent feeling of less fatigue is because the front HPF was either off or set too low. It is a 4" speaker after all and has it's limitations. Plus the dashboard mounting in the santro is not very good for the sound. You can even keep it at 150Hz or higher, if you like turning it up.
I purposely mentioned the Bass Boost because i know installers have a dirty habit of using it.
Keep tweaking a little, you'll find what you need somewhere there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Iam happy . Thank you Sam.
And that's all that matters. You are welcome.
Old 1st July 2007, 01:33   #6415
BHPian

Budget ICE setup - Getz 1.3

Hi Guys,

One of my friends had recently bought a Getz Prime 1.3 after a waiting period of about a month. The task was to set up a budget ICE system with the following additional requirements:

01.Used exclusively for playing heavy metal numbers.
02.Should have a sub-woofer
03.Should provide an AUX i/p
04.Extreme loudness not required.
05.No further upgrades.
06.Budget: 25K max

After careful thinking I came out with the below mentioned configuration:
01.HU: Pioneer 5950 (3 RCA out, AUX)
02.FS: Infinity Kappa - 652.7i (6.75" coaxial with XO, 75w @ 2ohms)
03.RS: Blaupunkt - THx 172 (6”, 55w @ 4ohms, coaxial)
04.SW: Blaupunkt GTW 1200 (12“, 200w @ 4ohms)
05.Amp: Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special Mk II (4x60w @ 4ohms)
06.SW Box: Ported MDF box
07.Cables: Pyle

The dealer: Sachin’s Auto Shop, Koramangala, Bangalore.

The prices:
01.HU: 5900 - grey
02.FS: 5000 – (1 month used, purchased from me)
03.RS: 2400 with B/W
04.SW: 3700 with B/W
05.Amp: 6300 with B/W
06.SW Box: 900
07.Cables: 700
08.MDF Rings: 400
09.Total: 25300

The installation:
01.The co-axial speakers were fitted in the company provided door slots.
02.2 channels bridged for the SW.
03.Front and Rear speakers connected in parallel to the other 2 channels
04.The combined resistance = 1.33ohms
05.SW Box volume matches the speaker’s requirements.
06.FS and RS have HPF frequency @ 150hz
07.SW has LPF frequency @ 50hz

The sound:
HU: Average
The Pioneer clearly lacks the clarity of Alpine, Blaupunkt, Clarion…head units. The mids and highs could have been far clearer.

FS: Good
These have been tried and tested on an Alpine with a JBL amp setup. They are good.

RS: Satisfactory.
Bang for the buck (2400 INR).

SW: Good
Produces decent tight thump. Requires a more powerful amp though.

Amp: Satisfactory
VFM. Just about enough for this budget.

Overall: Satisfactory
Bang for the buck. The setup produces decent loudness and thump. I am personally not satisfied with the Pioneer HU’s SQ. The sound stage is in the front and the base blends well with the speakers. My friend is definitely happy with the setup.
Old 1st July 2007, 02:30   #6416
BANNED

Wow! That's a nice setup there. Ofcourse! it could be made a bit more good sounding if the budget was a bit stretchable.

I had just mentioned elsewhere that I was not happy with the new Pio 5950. It is a bad sounding HU. It has a lot of features but sounds bad (to me atleast). If your friend wasn't planning any upgrades, then he could've opted for a better sounding HU with less features/RCA outputs etc...

But the main thing is the owner of the setup is happy and that is what matters more.
So that's the sum up then; A basic good setup with a happy customer. A result we all like to hear more often!
Old 1st July 2007, 09:40   #6417

Hi Sam,

I own Indica and want to fit good audio system with good and clear bass effect. Thinking of Blau punkt.. how abt tht??

Hawk
Old 1st July 2007, 21:34   #6418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
...I have 100 RMS components in the front and my Amp is just 60 RMS. gto936e says 100 RMS on it but the shop keeper was saying it is 50 RMS per speaker....

My plans are to buy a 100RMS per line 4 CH Amp and a 400 RMS Mono bloc. If do so, the shop keeper is saying that gto936e is a useless speaker and JBL is a useless amp. I said okay. Please suggest. Rockford Fosgate amp and Polk Momo Woofer 12 inch woofer. I dont understand if this required or by just changing the amp the gto936e and my JBL woofer will come alive. I just mentioned the amp that I am planning on.
So what you have is
HU: 9881
Front: Polk 6501 comps
Rear: JBL 936
Sub: JBL 12"
Amps: 60.4 for rear and sub and maybe a 60.2 for front

Your dealer recommends you upgrade the amp to RF amps (we still dont have model numbers the dealer gave you) and the JBL sub to a Polk Momo.

Since you are intent to buy a Mono amp anyway I would suggest you do this one step at a time. You have spent a lot of time and money on ICE so all I would do for now if get a good Mono amp that can put out atleast 150W rms.

power the sub with the mono amp and let the 60.4 power the front and rear. Set all EQ to flat then HPF the front and rear at 80Hz/12db and LPF the sub at 80Hz/12db as well.

Now fade to front and lower sub level to 0.
Tune the front using the amp and HU to what you like best
Next increase sub levels and tune the sub (using LPFs and EQ on HU and amp)
once you have the front and sub done only then introduce the rears.

BTW you could all this tuning with your exisiting components and still be satisfied so what I am really saying is that try and tune the system better it might help more than just a componnet upgrade.

That said the Polk Momo sub is a very good sub. I dont know how the new RF products sound though. Maybe the Gurus have a better idea about this.
Old 1st July 2007, 21:40   #6419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Hi Guys,

One of my friends had recently bought a Getz Prime 1.3 after a waiting period of about a month. The task was to set up a budget ICE system with the following additional requirements:...The sound stage is in the front and the base blends well with the speakers. My friend is definitely happy with the setup.
Nice.
Take some pics and post it in the "Sound off Show Off" section.
Old 1st July 2007, 21:41   #6420
Distinguished - BHPian

Akbaree, I honestly suggest you stop spending money like this. What you've got so far is very good.

Remember a god installation and tuning will change the sound. Please look at the recent advice I gave JPL - it will almost apply to you.
Go to a new installer. Your equipment is fine.
Just buying new stuff is not the answer. Every dealer likes selling new stuff. I suspect this one is trying to sell you some RF instead.

Stop spending money on new equipment and go to a good installer with an idea of what you want. Read this post #6419 thoroughly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks