Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 11:31   #5896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
IMHO the rear boot cover would be a bit far away from the driver's ear to give good results. Esp. if you're not using an amp. Otherwise fitting the speakers there should be ok.

Is it possible to make a small parcel-tray like thing with MDF and support it where the 4" slots are? Its been some time since I've been in a Adventure so I don't remember how that area looks like. And if I remember right, there is a 2-stage folding parcel tray there already, right? Maybe this parcel tray can be reinforced (on its underside) with some MDF/Fibreglass so that you can mount the 6x9s on them.
I would say, go with 4" as rear fills. Get a good one or anything depedning on where you sit most of the time. And focus on front stage. With some spacers you can fix 6" components there.

@Hydra: You can make good pods at the rear of an Adventure, the space below the speaker slots are very er, accomodative. Dont have a camera with me, else could have posted one pic. You can infact make two subwoofer pods there, and make it very flushed up - like Navin did in his Octi, or like the recent CRV install.

But I would recommend NOT to mess with the parcel tray. It works on 2 hinges (double fold), so one can imagine teh kind of rattle it will create even if you reinforce it.
Old 11th May 2007, 22:30   #5897
Senior - BHPian

Done!!! More than 2x of the original budget (15k) !!

* HU Pioneer 4950 - 5050 (this is the only grey mkt thing without b/w in the whole setup)
* Polk Audio dB6500 front components 8400
* Polk Audio dB690 rears 6100
* JBL 60.4 7650
* Wiring (mix of scosche and something else Auto Fusion recommended) - 2500
* Install 2500, including the rear plank and some basic damping (not dynamat etc - Thouqeer thot that was unnecessary and I have not discerned any vibrations at my listening levels)

I did manage some discounts given I also picked up alloys and tyres there, and other stuff.

SPL wise -
It plays stuff way louder than I'm likely to listen at. Does not sound lossy at lower volumes, even the bass isnt bad.
SQ wise -
The bass is not really as undirectional as I'd have liked, and obviously some of the longer bass sustains may be missing - but nothing I'm going to miss in regular listening. Floyd sounds good, and so does Dire Straits and Collective Sould. Some of the Def Leppard bass drum noted sounded a little thuddy at higher volumes, but nothing the HU could not tame. Am very impressed with the basic Pio 4950 itself (and it looks very sober and smart too)

FM didnt sound tooo much better than earlier, tho I might just need to fiddle with settings a little more.

If the lower frequencies are turned up beyond +2, the highs do sound noisy, but at 0/1 they're dull-nice for most songs. The Polk grilles look very disco (as someone had commented) in pictures, but are much more tolerable in life - still not as classy as plain black grilles imo.

I think I might not miss a sub, after all !

(I have been promised a replacement in case I still hear and like Hertz more, but given my extreme inertia and lack of listening opportunity, I don't really see that happening - still no ida how much less forward the Hertz might have been - but the Polks + Pio sound manageable)

Of course all the above is from about half an hours worth of listening - will add more if I form more of an opinion.

Thanks a ton hydrashok, gunbir, sam, navin, s0uljah and others....one more ice twice-the-budget feather in your caps Seriously I have learnt a lot about car audio during this whole exercise....and the Hertx ESK165 + DCX690 combination still remains an awesome recommendation o anyone who's considering a mid-budget install.

Last edited by zenx : 11th May 2007 at 22:33.
Old 11th May 2007, 22:36   #5898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Front speakers will help but I thought you said you were happy with the sound. Does your car (800?) have pods in the dash or doors (the older 800s had speakers in the doors).

Dash pods accomodte 4" speakers and these will give your midrange and HF but little or no bass. For bass you need to move air so would have to consider larger speakers like 6" in the doors.
OK, in that case I am not installing front speakers because my Rockford Fosgate tweeters are doing an amazing job for the highs

My 800 is a 2001 5 speed model. Dont know if I can install 6" in the front doors.

I went to Thouqeer today, installed the speakers on two MDF boxes...he did a great job but I was not satisfied with the bass punch. I went back to him after an hour and got the speakers fit on the rear hatch itself. I feel there is a much better thump now! I recommend the rear hatch install for all Maruti 800/ Alto/ WagonR (or similar) installs. It just sounds great with the MDF plank and damping done.
Old 11th May 2007, 22:42   #5899
Team-BHP Support

techno & navin, without b&w the sony 2 channel amp is 2300 odd, and the 4 channel is 3400.

manson.
Old 11th May 2007, 22:43   #5900
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you got it done, Sameer That was a very honest review. I'm sure the setup will grow on you once you listen to it more. Enjoyyyy!
Old 11th May 2007, 23:07   #5901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Good to know you got it done, Sameer That was a very honest review.
And groggily written too - the number of typos is appalling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok;
I'm sure the setup will grow on you once you listen to it more. Enjoyyyy!
Yeah I'm sure - thanks to all the audio gurus and Thouqeer's reinforcement of the idea - amping the components and even the rear 6x9s makes them really come alive - I never imagined speakers could sound that great between plastic and metal (unlike those is great big wooden towers at home). Overall, I'll give an 8/10 to the system and install (at least for my listening needs) and about 5/10 to the budget )

One quick follow up qn - is it better to adjust the Low Frequency settings in the equilizer or the bass ones for small changes desired in the bass from the setup ?
Old 12th May 2007, 01:38   #5902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Also. how's the polks compared to hertz ? A quick google on db6500 shows up awesome reviews along with hideous looking grilles. Those Hertz sure are plainer/saner !
zenx, congrats on the install! hope to see some pics soon!
quick question... what made you choose polk over hertz for the front comps (apart from the fact that they were slightly cheaper)? is the price you quoted with B&W?
i read the reviews too... sound very promising. not too worried about the grille coz i would be installing the speakers in the stock door locations

does anyone else have any reviews/experiences of the polk db6500?

and another slightly different question - the polks have 4 ohm impedance, as compared to say the JBL 607c which has 2 ohm. assuming that the comps are being run from an amp like the GTO75.4, what implications do these different impedance values have?
Old 12th May 2007, 11:30   #5903
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
does anyone else have any reviews/experiences of the polk db6500?

the polks have 4 ohm impedance, as compared to say the JBL 607c which has 2 ohm. assuming that the comps are being run from an amp like the GTO75.4, what implications do these different impedance values have?
The 6500 is a nice speaker. Just a bit off in the region of 1-3K or even 1-4K. female vocals hence can get a bit irritating esp with the "wrong" electronics but that is just me. My advice would be to listen.

THe JBL 607c is really a 3.2ohm speaker. Dont ask me why they claim it to be 2 ohms. I have my own theories on speaker impedance which differs others but it just might be becuase I am a senile old idiot.

Other than the fact that your amp will put out a few more watts intot he JBL 607c and that their sensitivity figures look bit more attractive given the lower impedance it should not matter. Another thing. I would NOT put 2 607c in parallel with one channel of an amp but this is rarely (if ever) done in car audio anyway.

The logic behind this might stem from history.

Harman Intl. has always been a big proponent of very high current delivery (after everyone and their mother were producing wide bandwidth) for amplifiers. For eons they have touted the current delivery of their amps. I am talking serious currents like 45A for an amp that was rated 100W/ch at 8 ohms and 65A for it's 150W brother. Given their commitment to high current delivery devices it made sense to allow for lower impedance in the speakers esp in car audio since unlike home audio no one conects 2 speakers in parallel to one channel of an amplifier.
Old 12th May 2007, 22:48   #5904
BHPian

Hi, after following all these threads for several weeks, and after getting Hydrashok's suggestion (thanks again man). I am thinking of this setup for a new honda city:

HU: 7950UB (8.5k)
Front: JBL GTO 607c (6.5k)
Rear: JBL CS 3196 (6x9)(3.8k)
Amp: Sony 504 (5k)
Wiring: Audison 2-ch (2k)
Damping: ?? (2k)

Future: slim chance of adding a sub

Current cost: 28k

I'm looking for SQ, don't need SP. I like a rounded bass, not tight nor boomy, and a little extra high treble.
  1. Can anyone tell me the difference between the sound of the CS and GTO (unfortunately theres no place in Hyd to preview them). Will a combination of GTO in the front and CS in the rear mess the SQ?
  2. Considering cost I'm now thinking CS front comps instead of GTO. Is that a bad plan?
  3. Any suggestions for HPF / LPF settings?
  4. Should I use the amp for the front comps & run the rears off the HU (will that kill the rear bass), or should I just run all four off the amp? (I always sit in the front)
  5. Should I lose the Sony amp in favour of a 2ch Pio or Blau amp? Is that the weak link?
  6. Any VFM damping for 2k? Is it really required?
  7. Does anyone know a person who knows how to do a proper install in Hyderabad?
I went to a place called Moto Axis to enquire about the JBLs and the guys were totally BS-ing me - they had no clue. Imagine if someone more clueless than me did an install.

Thanks for your help.
Old 13th May 2007, 15:48   #5905
Senior - BHPian

@ketchup : Isnt there a Sprocket outlet in your city? Im sure you could atleast audition the speakers over there. Baaki you will have our experienced guys come along and help you
Old 13th May 2007, 17:11   #5906
BHPian

Pls suggest best audio system + speakers under 15,000 for aveo

Hi champs,

Just booked an aveo 1.4 base model.. It comes with 2 rear speakers.
Pls suggest a best audio system + speakers in the range of Rs 10,000-15,000.

I'm planning to install another 2 fronty speakers n 2 tweeters.. Are 2 rear speakers of aveo good enough? or should I change these also.

Car: Aveo
Range - Rs 10,000-15,000
Stereo + 2 front + 2 tweeters. (rear speakers provided already)
I need an Auxiliarry or USB input for my ipod also.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th May 2007, 21:09   #5907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcetech View Post
It comes with 2 rear speakers.
just to correct, front 2 speakers are provided... and not the rear ones.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:46   #5908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
HU: 7950UB (8.5k)
Front: JBL GTO 607c (6.5k)
Rear: JBL CS 3196 (6x9)(3.8k)
Amp: Sony 504 (5k)
Wiring: Audison 2-ch (2k)
Damping: ?? (2k)
Current cost: 28k
  1. Can anyone tell me the difference between the sound of the CS and GTO (unfortunately theres no place in Hyd to preview them). Will a combination of GTO in the front and CS in the rear mess the SQ?
  2. Considering cost I'm now thinking CS front comps instead of GTO. Is that a bad plan?
  3. Any suggestions for HPF / LPF settings?
  4. Should I use the amp for the front comps & run the rears off the HU (will that kill the rear bass), or should I just run all four off the amp? (I always sit in the front)
  5. Should I lose the Sony amp in favour of a 2ch Pio or Blau amp? Is that the weak link?
  6. Any VFM damping for 2k? Is it really required?
  7. Does anyone know a person who knows how to do a proper install in Hyderabad?
I went to a place called Moto Axis to enquire about the JBLs and the guys were totally BS-ing me - they had no clue. Imagine if someone more clueless than me did an install..
1. the 504 i think has been replaced by the 554. someday you might want to upgrde that amp or you can get the pio for 7-8K or JBL for 10K.

2. before you start doing stuff to your car please discuss, in detail, with your installer how he/she is going to install the front tweeters. I have seen some real bad jobns on NHCs. The A pillar wont accomodate many tweeters properly and a surfance mount on the dash is really ugly.

3. HPF for front speakers: 63Hz, LPF for sub 80Hz. Your HU might not let you set a HPF for the rear. If it does experiment with a few settings.

4. You'll need more than 2K to damp a NHC. The panels are not as good as that of a Skoda, Opel, etc..

Last edited by navin : 13th May 2007 at 23:55.
Old 14th May 2007, 08:55   #5909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Done!!! )

Thanks a ton hydrashok, gunbir, sam, navin, s0uljah and others....one more ice twice-the-budget feather in your caps
You happy, we happy. Enjoy!
Old 14th May 2007, 12:28   #5910
BHPian

There is SPROCKET in hyd DHARAM KARAM ROAD , Opp CHALLA HOSPITAL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks