Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2007, 17:54   #5671
BHPian

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
* From one of Sam's posts, probably not a JBL. How expensive is Infinity ?
Wait till Sam sees this! Dude, Sam is the brand head (or more) of JBL in India. Not that he would blindly promote his stuff here. And as Hydra said, JBL infact suits yor music taste. But, where did you get that from?

Last edited by determinus : 6th April 2007 at 17:55.
Old 6th April 2007, 18:00   #5672
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I picked that up - about Sam being someone senior at JBL. I started at the beginning of this thread. JBL works great for a whole bunch of tastes - but from what he described of his own music tastes, and from what I guessed mine are (essentialy - the intersection being not-too-deep-bass-heavy) , I thought it best to look at other brands first!

Here you go
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...html#post97507

Sam, need ur help.

Hydra - thanks a ton for detailing things out for a novice (me!) I guess I'll be a little with the HU. Havent looked around at stores yet - was hoping to keep playing tapes too....
Old 7th April 2007, 00:25   #5673
BHPian

Hi again guys,
I got my system set up today (from M.A. Car Studio in Oshiwara/Lokhandwala).
Front - GTO427
Back - GTO937 (replaced the 4yr old wood tray with boxes)
HU - Pioneer 6850

Total setup came to 6k for speakers+box, and 4.5k for the HU from my friend (4 month used!) Plus MA car studio guys took my old Sony tape unit and speakers for 1k off my bill!
THe sound is a major improvement from my previous system, but i can sense some distortion at high volumes...do the speakers need to be burnt-in / run-in for a while before they reach peak performance? Or did i make the wrong decision going for boxes over the wooden tray at the back?
I also noticed that CDRW support is not good :( Ive tried HP, Moser Baer and Sony CDRWs with mp3s on them and no audio data :(
Also, where can i find a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adapter, coz i need to connect my portable zen vision W player to the front aux-in which is 2.5mm.
Many thanks to all those who helped me decide!

(PS - If anyone needs the stock grilles for the GTO427, feel free to PM me and pick em up!)
Old 7th April 2007, 09:00   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Havent looked around at stores yet - was hoping to keep playing tapes too....
If you really need to keep tape support, maybe you can either:

a) Go for a CD changer with your current HU (if it supports it) -- from personal experience I would not recommend this over a regular CD/MP3 HU as it is not a very VFM option, and could be a hassle in the long run.

b) Get a Double Din HU which does both tape & CD (very expensive). If you're really lucky you maybe able to find an OEM Alpine Double Din HU that an NHC VTEC owner has discarded for something else (if you find one, you may get it el Cheapo). But I don't know if the NHC Double Din can be shoehorned into an OHC. Or if the oHC has a Double DIn provision at all (I've never noticed this/paid attention )

c) Again, if your NHC has a Double Din provision, maybe you can keep the current HU there, and add on a CD/MP3 HU, and use both.

Can somebody confirm whether the OHC can do a Double Din or not?

BTW, options "a" & "b" will push the budget off your limits
Old 7th April 2007, 09:05   #5675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
I also noticed that CDRW support is not good :( Ive tried HP, Moser Baer and Sony CDRWs with mp3s on them and no audio data :(
Also, where can i find a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adapter, coz i need to connect my portable zen vision W player to the front aux-in which is 2.5mm.
Congrats on the upgrade

CDRWs are usually not well-supported by most HUs. Even some CDRs cause a problem, especially if the session is not closed while writing the CD. Also, when you burn MP3s to CD, use the "Make a Data CD" option, rather than the "Make an MP3 CD option". I've found this to be more dependable.

You'll find the 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adapter at most electronics shops. Try and get an MX cable -- they make quality stuff.
Old 7th April 2007, 10:09   #5676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
If you really need to keep tape support, maybe you can either:

a) Go for a CD changer with your current HU (if it supports it) -- from personal experience I would not recommend this over a regular CD/MP3 HU as it is not a very VFM option, and could be a hassle in the long run.
Thanks! Tell me more, what options does one have here ? And what are the long term hassles ? The HU is still pretty ok for tapes and radio - needs better speakers and possibly an amp tho.
Old 7th April 2007, 10:42   #5677
Senior - BHPian

You'll need an Alpine CD Changer (your HU is Alpine, right?) and a proprietary Alpine connection cable. I don't know what the exact prices will be, but I think the CD Changer (a 10 or 12 Cd changer I guess) and the cable would run to not less than 9-10K in the grey. 14-15K with B&W perhaps (if they are available).

With MP3 HUs and DVD-MP3 HUs getting available, the CD Changer is a dying breed. So availability could be an issue.

Well, I mentioned I did not recommend a CD Changer not because of any hassle. Whatever hassle is there is only in getting it installed properly (so it won't skip) and in allocating bootspace/under-the-seat space to it.

In my case, I have an MP3 HU and the CD Changer. I bought the CD Changer with the HU. The CD Changer was installed in the boot (it still is). I find it easier (I'm lazy) to play the CDs on the HU rather than get out of the car, open the boot, eject the magazine, load the CD, close the boot, get back in, wait for the HU to read the CDs and then play them

And all my music is archived as MP3 (the Changer doesn't read MP3). Even at the highest bitrate my HU can handle (I don't go that far, I rip at 256kbps) an MP3 CD can hold nearly the same no. of albums as the CD Changer (I have a 10ner). And I'm paranoid of taking my CDs outta my house so I have to burn copies of CDs to load into the Changer.

I paid 15K for the changer that I rarely use. (Very very bad purchase decision taken on impulse). The Changer works only with a Blau HU, so I have to sell it with the HU if I plan to get a non-Blau HU later (I do). I can't use an iPod interface on my HU if I have the CD Changer installed -- It is either-or.

So you can see that (for no fault of Blaupunkt or the CD Changer), my usage pattern leaves me unhappy with (the amount I'd spent on) the Changer. Consider your use before you buy one.

Last edited by hydrashok : 7th April 2007 at 10:48.
Old 7th April 2007, 11:02   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Totally useful description of usage/usability! Will definitely keep this in mind. Am off to Audio Fusion (Koramangala) this afternoon to educate myself more and narrow down options - picked up Thouqeer's recommendation on this thread someplace. Will have more follow up qns. Thanks a ton hydrashok!
Old 7th April 2007, 13:18   #5679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
1. I can turn the sub off/on from the HU and I noticed that there is a lot of reverberation coming when the sub is on
2. I disconnected the rear speakers and turned on the system, and the reverb is still there.
4. I have set cut-off frequency for the sub to 50
5. When I turn HPF ON (so that all low frequencies are NOT handled by the speakers and is handled solely by the sub), the reverb increases.
What steps can I take to fine tune the bass now?
OK now we have determined that teh sub is what is causing the reverbrabnce.

a) I am sure it is not the box size that is the cause. but just to make sure you can always take a couple of bricks or big books and fill the box to reduce the box volume.

b) It could be due to inadequate damping on the box, car panels, etc..

c) Anothe option might be to investigate aperidoic boxes which really means making a hole in the box and covering that hole with damping material so that the air that is coming out has some resistnace.

d) Lastly you might have got teh wrong subwoofer for your tastes. If this is true, then I would consider 2 smaller 8" subs and see if that solution sounds better. Often smaller subs comabined with the boundary reinforcement can offer just the right ammount of bass and better bass snap/attack.
Old 7th April 2007, 14:50   #5680
BHPian

Hi Navin Sir,

Thanks, I have been able to fine tune my bass - and now am pretty satisfied as of now.

I removed the sub driver to check the internal volume of the middle box housing the driver and it is not 1.20 cu.ft as I had previously calculated, but 1.017 cu. ft which I think is very fair. Also, the MDF is 0.70" thick, so a thin flimsy MDF box is not the case here.

I was even contemplating getting a custom-box made (with great tips from Hydrashok), and after looking at my present box carefully, I noticed that this one has been made with pretty much care as well, so I felt I could defer that project for now. I also obtained the manual of the Blau amp from the dealer today (I had forgotten to bring it the other day) and after reading it noticed that the installer had turned the bass boost all the way to 12db. After turning it back to a more acceptable level for me of around 4 db or so, the sound is much more pleasant. Yes, there is panel noise still and maybe I will need to get some damping work done in the future.

Lastly, do you think putting more glasswool will help? I really did not observe this part of the install as I was getting jumpy about getting itchy all over!

All-in-all, I am pretty satisfied - thanks a lot for your help.

I am also toying with the two 8" sub idea - will talk to my vendor.

Last edited by johy : 7th April 2007 at 14:55.
Old 7th April 2007, 15:09   #5681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Can somebody confirm whether the OHC can do a Double Din or not?
Nope you can't do a double din in the stock slot. You can however have a custom mount made for the recess below the stock HU mounting location but need an expert installer to do that. Plus, the HU usually gets located too low to be comfortably operated while driving.
Old 7th April 2007, 17:50   #5682
Team-BHP Support

Quick doubt: Boston ovals and components, how are these?
Old 8th April 2007, 11:38   #5683
BHPian

Have read that the remote (power antenna) output of the HU to the amp should have a relay unit (preferable) or a fuse. This is to prevent damage to the remote output switching transistor in the HU in the event of high current flow due to amp failure or a short circuit. I guess this should be done at the amplifier end of the connection but request confirmation from the gurus.
Thanks.
Old 8th April 2007, 11:41   #5684
Senior - BHPian

hydrashok,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post355187
sounds very much like what I want, except the budget part of it. Yes I did find the JBLs a little unnatural (imo) - mebbe wrt what I wanted to hear out of them maybe just a setup issue. OTOH, I absolutely didnt understand what 'forward' or 'bright' meant
Old 8th April 2007, 12:22   #5685
Senior - BHPian

@zenx, "forward" & "bright" meant that the higher-frequencies are more prominent in the output. That is, there is more treble overall in the sound output.

Which series of JBL did you listen to? CS series or GTO series? If you didn't much like the CS, try listening to the GTOs.

In your budget, if you did not like the sound of the JBLs, I think you should give a listen to the Hertz Dieci series. Listen and decide. I've felt that for their price, they give reasonably balanced sound without emphasizing too much on any particular frequency/range/type of sound in particular. If you like that kind of sound, you may like the Diecis. Now these speakers are a wee bit brighter than other speakers in more higher price points. But they are not at all as bright as the JBLs tend to be. They run to about 6K for the 6.5" comps (DSK165). I really don't know how much the 6x9s in the Dieci series come to.

Now I do have a soft corner for Hertz speakers (I run Hertz Energys in my car), so don't take what I say blindly, but go listen to them and other brands also (other than JBL, Blau & Alpine also have speakers in your budget-range).

Maybe you can also try listening to the setups in Bangalore BHPians cars? I'm sure you will have no trouble locating some good setups done in the same budget as yours there.

If you up your budget then you can try Infinitys or Hertz Energy Series or Alpine's 2nd rung series.

Last edited by hydrashok : 8th April 2007 at 12:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks