Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 18:01   #4141
Distinguished - BHPian

HI Udhayam,

Most dealers will give you any tripe to make a sale. Listen to a speaker before you decide.

Boston speakers are pretty good though, but no brand is better than another
Old 21st August 2006, 18:44   #4142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Listen to a speaker before you decide.

Boston speakers are pretty good though, but no brand is better than another
Thats the best advice we can give you friend. Use your ears, and the stuff between them... Bostons will sound different from JBL will sound different from Infinity will sound different from Polk will sound different from Hertz will sound different from.... and so on... none of these sound bad (except stuff like Sookoko, Sony, Dhoom that just sounds BAD). Its like buying a shirt, It's up to you which fits you best.

If you installer is really good, he will entertain a request for auditioning a similarly configured Indica that he has done.

Enjoy...
Old 21st August 2006, 19:50   #4143
Distinguished - BHPian

Sookoko

Sookoko ahahahahahaha
Old 21st August 2006, 23:36   #4144
BHPian

hi It depends upon the hearing curve of each individual, like they say one mans food is an other mans poison :-)
Old 22nd August 2006, 00:22   #4145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kURETI
hi It depends upon the hearing curve of each individual...
Hi Kureti,

Do individuals have hearing curves? I wonder what you mean by an individual hearing curve...

Sounds quite interesting though... would you care to elaborate?
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:22   #4146
Team-BHP Support

Udhayam, listen to YOUR ears. but....

if you want to scare the dealer ask him why some of the most respected brands in audio use doped paper or pulp based woofers instead of Kevlar.

Kevlar is stiff and works like a piston but I believe it is used ususlaly for marketing hype. I dont say there are no good kevlar woofers (I have used a few) but I can definitely say that percentage wise there are a greater percentage of good acceptable paper speakers than kevlar. kevlar requires taming which few companies have been able to do really well. paper does not require that level of expertise.

it analogous to saying: give a person a maruti and he'll be comfotable driving it. most people will have trouble handling a ferrari. The clutch is heavy the car is squiggly and the acceleration rush can unnerve most drivers. so one requires greater skill and expereince in driving a ferrari similar with kevlar. a designer needs more skill making good speakers out of kevlar.
Old 23rd August 2006, 15:32   #4147
Senior - BHPian

One Simple Query

Hi Guys,

I have one simple query. I have HU + 4 Speakers + Sub + Amp(4 channel driving the sub & rear speakers) setup in my Alto.

I will be driving down with family for a vacation & for that will be removing my rear speakers(which are mounted in tray) & the Sub (which is in a ported box). These are easily removable in a plug & play manner.

The query is can and\or should I switch off my Amp when I do this?

Is there a easy way to use the amps for front speakers i.e. without removing the HU ?

My amp is a Sony Xplode XM-554ZR

Do let me know
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:47   #4148
Team-BHP Support

I'd remove the remote turn on wire. the amp wont turn on. Others may have a simpler method.
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:49   #4149
Senior - BHPian

Thanks but err what do you mean by "I'd remove the remote turn on wire"

Besides is there a on & off switch in amp ? Also will it be advisable to turn it off if possible since it wont be getting used ?
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:57   #4150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Thanks but err what do you mean by "I'd remove the remote turn on wire"

Besides is there a on & off switch in amp ? Also will it be advisable to turn it off if possible since it wont be getting used ?
The remote turn on lead is normally the blue color wire which comes from the head unit and is wired to the amp. Basically this wire switches the amp on and off, when the head unit is turned on or turned off. i haven't seen any amps with on & off switches. Like Navin said if you remove the remote turn on wire the amp will not come on even when you switch on your head unit.
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:22   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Oh that makes sense now. Ok will see how easy or tough it is to do as my amp is below the passenger seat.

Thanks a lot Navin & Sideways

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd August 2006 at 17:26.
Old 24th August 2006, 14:38   #4152
BHPian

If you dont want the amp to turn on then what Naveen said is the best option. If you dont mind the amp turning on and off, Just remove the speakers and use a electric tape to cover the exposed wires so that the negative and positive dont get shorted and you should be fine.
Old 24th August 2006, 15:51   #4153
BHPian

Is there any particular advantage of keeping the amp in the boot, wouldnt it be better to have the amp in the main cabin probably under the front seat, as it will allow for better cooling of the amp ?
Old 24th August 2006, 23:06   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph
Is there any particular advantage of keeping the amp in the boot, wouldnt it be better to have the amp in the main cabin probably under the front seat, as it will allow for better cooling of the amp ?
Advantages of amps in the boot:

1. In the case of a sedan, the heat dissipated by the amp won't make it to the passenger compartment, so that's a lower thermal load on the air conditioning. In some cases, especially in high-power setups or when using Class A amps, things can get a bit hot. The amount of air in the boot usually suffices to be recirculated and used for natural convection-based cooling purposes. If the manufacturer knows that the amp is prone to getting hot because of an inadequate heat sink or something, he'll give you a cooling fan or two.

2. When you throw open the trunk lid, the boys go "Whoa, Niiiiice Rack!!"

3. It's easier to perform minor tweaks, replace fuses etc. Things can get tough under some seats.

Disadvantages of having amps in the boot:

1. A few kilometers of cabling.

2. Your mother-in-law just smashed the gleaming window pane on the amp with her suitcase.

3. Corpses in the trunk are gonna start complaining about the heat before you get to the waterfront.

4. If there are multiple amps, and some are mounted on the opposite side walls of the trunk, you either need a really long ground wire for one or some of the amps, or you stand the chance of inviting ground loops. This is cos you ideally gotta ground the amps together.

Advantages of having amps under the seat:

1. You save a packet if you're using expensive power and interconnect cabling.

2. No one can tell if your amps happen to look like your backside.

3. Winters cease to bother you much.

Disadvantages of having amps under the seat:

1. Man, you gotta stay outta Surat and stuff. Or anything remotely close to that place. The first piece of valuable electrical equipment in the line of fire.

2. You should lay out a welcome mat for dust, grime, bhel puri, a few cockroaches and their in-laws/ offsprings.

3. The boys merrily kick the plugs of your RCA cables.

4. It gives 'warming the seat' a whole new meaning.

5. Tweaking and fuse replacements could be a problem.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 24th August 2006 at 23:09.
Old 24th August 2006, 23:23   #4155
Senior - BHPian

B&T thats a nice way to list out the pro's and cons of boot VS seat installs... I would be getting into that debate soon...argh!

Currently I have the 502z installed under the passengers seat and the metal string across the undercarriage of the seat does interfere with it at times....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks