Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2006, 13:51   #3061
BHPian

A possible pblm in my Clarion amp or

Hi Sam, Navin,gunbir, JB and co:

Recently a friend of mine while fiddling with our system suddenly increased the volume on the head unit to the Max and the subwoofer suddenly got cut off.
Did a quick inspection of the 2 channel 200 watt RMS Clarion Amp which powers the 300 wattRMS Boston Sub in the sealed Box and found that the Protection circuit light was ON. The gain is set to 85 %, 12Db boost( max).

I just let it as it is as I thought that i may have to replace a fuse in the amp and today after about 3 days,when i switched on the system the Red light( protection light in the clarion amp) was gone and the Subwoofer is working.

What happened..did the sudden volume cutoff the amp and did it come back to normal after i switched off the car and switched it on.

Is the sealed sub enclosure drawing too much power from the amp and do i have to look at getting a port for the enclosure so that the woofer doesnt load the Amp..I guess the amp settings are on the higher side..

The enclosure is pretty small and will it affect the b*** characteristics if i want one..i need a properly tuned port ( Dia,length and location in the box)

Suggestions please.
Old 16th March 2006, 14:07   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
The gain is set to 85 %, 12Db boost( max).
Reduce B*** Boost... and set gain not more than 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
What happened..did the sudden volume cutoff the amp and did it come back to normal after i switched off the car and switched it on.
Yes, it went into protection mode and once you cycled power, it came back on.

Your woofer isnt overloading your amp... YOU ARE. Set your gains properly and try and not use b*** boost (or as little as possible).

To give you an example, if your amp is like a car, you normally drive at 50kmph in second gear all the time, but your friend tried to run it at 90kmph and the engine died. Fortunately, when you set your gains and boost that high, you are effectively redlining your amp.
Old 16th March 2006, 15:17   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Reduce B*** Boost... and set gain not more than 70%

Yes, it went into protection mode and once you cycled power, it came back on.

Your woofer isnt overloading your amp... YOU ARE. Set your gains properly and try and not use b*** boost (or as little as possible).

To give you an example, if your amp is like a car, you normally drive at 50kmph in second gear all the time, but your friend tried to run it at 90kmph and the engine died. Fortunately, when you set your gains and boost that high, you are effectively redlining your amp.
Thanks gunbir,i get your point. I had least expected my friend to increase the volume to the max in the split of a second. Have already reduced the b*** boost and the gain also so that the amp is not stretched to its threshold in the future :-)).

What about the port idea ( i do not have the dimensions right now but a typical looking enclosure without much of a volume to boast about)

Last edited by muni : 16th March 2006 at 15:20.
Old 16th March 2006, 15:31   #3064
Team-BHP Support

a ported box has to be designed as such. in most cases putting a port in an exsisting sealed box will produce good b***. either get a good ported box or stick with the sealed box.
Old 16th March 2006, 16:26   #3065
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear. So now we cant say B***, Cl*** A, Gl*** Top and what not.

These words simply wont p*** through. Somebody has to inform the top br*** at TBHP. After all we arent trying to be cr***.
Old 16th March 2006, 16:29   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi

These words simply wont p*** through. Somebody has to inform the top br*** at TBHP. After all we arent trying to be cr***.
This is a classic.........!
Old 16th March 2006, 17:03   #3067
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:

u exactly put into words what i had in my mind .. Navin can something be done about this ..
Old 16th March 2006, 19:16   #3068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
....anything bigger than 4" will need to be mounted on the door panel, and also have fibreglass casing. If i get a 5-6" compo, Im scared to ask what your opinion is on directly installing them on the panels!
Can I get and MDF ring for the front and put in something bigger than 4" ?Its definately not going to be very aesthetically pleasing BUT... ?

Reason for going for a compo bigger than 4" is because my dad has these "tentative plans" to sell the car... I see that happening in 6 months, but too impatient to wait for a new car to ICE. So was wondering if I could get a 5-6" compo that I can use in my next car.

Thanks.
Quote:

Heheh, Sam your hilarious. love the way you play the beloved english language

Till the problem gets fixed, go alpha numeric

Ba$S
BaS$
BOOM!!

Last edited by s0uljah : 16th March 2006 at 19:22.
Old 18th March 2006, 12:59   #3069
Distinguished - BHPian

Well Souljah, most new cars take 5.25" in the front. But then what if you bought that and then ended up with a Octy or something? That would then be 6".
I suggest not changing your speakers if your in the market for a new car.

On another note, why are saturdays so quiet around here?
Old 18th March 2006, 14:47   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Dude, i love big butts too, i thought I needed counselling Or some people seem to think so. hehe

About being in the market for a new car - very undecided. My dad keeps discussing it with me but then its a blank. Lets see I will postpone it a few weeks. Problem is I log into the ICE section every day !!!! LOL

Thanks.
p.s : Octy not happening mate(fo sure). It would be a baleno(if I have my way and lady luck shines on me). Otherwise will be our existing lancer.

Last edited by s0uljah : 18th March 2006 at 14:51.
Old 18th March 2006, 14:49   #3071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Dude, i love big butts too, i thought I needed counselling Or some people seem to think so. hehe

About being in the market for a new car - very undecided. My dad keeps discussing it with me but then its a blank. Lets see I will postpone it a few weeks. Problem is I log into the ICE section every day !!!! LOL

Thanks.
p.s : Octy not happening mate, it would be a baleno (and thats if lady luck shines on me). Otherwise will be a lancer probably.
Well then for your info, both the Baleno and theLancer accomodate 5.25" components in the stock positions.
Old 18th March 2006, 16:01   #3072
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sam. Will look into the JBL 5.25 coaxials // compos. There's loads of discussion regarding these in our ICE forums so I will do some searching. Might end up JBLfying the front of my santro
Old 19th March 2006, 16:01   #3073
BHPian

You can accomodate 6.5" in the front door of lancer...use 1/4" baffle to mount the midrange. And the panel will also fit without any problems.
Old 19th March 2006, 18:46   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Jasdeep, Thanks for that.

Im tearing my hair out because I cant make a 100% decision because of the uncertainity against what car will replace my zipdrive. Guess Im going to be stuck with my current setup which im not very satisfied with :(

I think I might need to stop visiting the ICE forum for a few weeks!
Old 20th March 2006, 17:42   #3075
BHPian

MDF vs. Plywood?

What is recommended, an MDF sheet or a 12mm sheet of plywood, for the rear shelf?

Please explain why as well!

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks