Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2006, 12:14   #2941
Team-BHP Support

Rudra, think in terms of bottles of Cardhu and Monkey Shoulder.
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:39   #2942
Senior - BHPian

One pair full-range preamp outputs: whats this used for? Is it to connect to another amp?
Old 23rd February 2006, 09:31   #2943
Team-BHP Support

Some preamp outputs can be used for a sub as well (the HU allows the outputs to be fullrange or low pass only).
Old 27th February 2006, 12:29   #2944
BHPian

@Navin, last saturday we got a pretty basic system for a friend of mine for his new Indigo.

1) head unit: Alpine cda 9851 ( resisted the tempting models i.e, snazzy display+ bells and whistles of pioneer)
2) front components: Boston 6.5 inch
3) Rear coaxials 6x9: Boston

Price arnd 24 K with b/w and the shop guy has offered some guarantee/responsibility on the alpine HU incase of pblms for an year though he gave it for 13.5 K ( Grey!)

The Head unit sounds sweet and does drive the components and coaxials pretty well. Am surprised to c the boston components taking the low frequencies so well. Maybe the door volume inside and the cabin space has something to do with it. Our Swift's infiniti components dont seem to be taking so much of low frequency load at all ( The amp setting and door vol+ cabin space maybe the governing factors)

Am impressed with the way the system sounds without the woofer+ addnl amps and my friend is pretty satisfied with the system.

cheers

Last edited by muni : 27th February 2006 at 12:32.
Old 27th February 2006, 12:36   #2945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
The Head unit sounds sweet and does drive the components and coaxials pretty well. Am surprised to c the boston components taking the low frequencies so well. Maybe the door volume inside and the cabin space has something to do with it. Our Swift's infiniti components dont seem to be taking so much of low frequency load at all ( The amp setting and door vol+ cabin space maybe the governing factors)

cheers
Absolutely. A nice, solidly built car (read: heavy gauge metal), good door volume, positioning etc these are are crucial factors in all door mounted speakers.
Old 27th February 2006, 12:41   #2946
Senior - BHPian

Muni, where did you get the install?
Old 27th February 2006, 12:52   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Muni, where did you get the install?
In koramangala, near the Koramangala club Touqeer and Anwar .. the shop's name sound vision or something..they do some body work ( sheet metal/ fibre work on cars also.

Anwar showed me some work they were doin on a Skoda Octavia. They are using the octavia boot and have fabricated an air plane( airbus ) with its turbines housing 2 10 inch subs. a runway below and 2 coaxials with some lights would make it look special
Old 27th February 2006, 12:58   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
In koramangala, near the Koramangala club Touqeer and Anwar .. the shop's name sound vision or something..they do some body work ( sheet metal/ fibre work on cars also.

Anwar showed me some work they were doin on a Skoda Octavia. They are using the octavia boot and have fabricated an air plane( airbus ) with its turbines housing 2 10 inch subs. a runway below and 2 coaxials with some lights would make it look special

This should be quite a sight.
Old 27th February 2006, 13:00   #2949
BHPian

Sam, are you still in Bangalore because I am watching that space.
Old 27th February 2006, 13:22   #2950
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Vivek,

Sorry i guess i just forgot to change back.
Guys, Rudra and I were pretty impressed by the way Vivek's car sounded. In my opinion, (due to constraints of space and money) he doesn't need a woofer, but is dying to. The topic i want to debate is - can you achieve quality sound in your car with a pair of nice speakers (say 6X9s in this example) which can go down to 35Hz, driven by a decent amplifier and can you be satisfied with it.
Old 27th February 2006, 14:39   #2951
BHPian

I too feel the setup turned out to be pretty decent that too for 23K. But there is always the longing for some low end punch. Not the SPL stuff mind you. I sometimes find that some songs need a little more kick.
Old 28th February 2006, 09:43   #2952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
The topic i want to debate is - can you achieve quality sound in your car with a pair of nice speakers (say 6X9s in this example) which can go down to 35Hz, driven by a decent amplifier and can you be satisfied with it.
I say yes you can. a 6x9 has about hte Sd of a 8" woofer. 2 x 8" woofers in a car can make adequate bass. However there is a slight variation here. Most 6x9 are built for deck install. their Cms is pretty high to cope with the large box volume of a trunk. The high Cms usually means that Fs is also quite high and hence I would not expect much below 42Hz (low E on a bass guitar) out of such speakers.

On the plus side most 6x9s are quite easily driven by the 6-10W rms outputs one gets from a HU. If one desires more power a 3875 ot 3886 based chip amp can provide a great option.
Old 28th February 2006, 13:16   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I say yes you can. a 6x9 has about hte Sd of a 8" woofer. 2 x 8" woofers in a car can make adequate bass. However there is a slight variation here. Most 6x9 are built for deck install. their Cms is pretty high to cope with the large box volume of a trunk. The high Cms usually means that Fs is also quite high and hence I would not expect much below 42Hz (low E on a bass guitar) out of such speakers.

On the plus side most 6x9s are quite easily driven by the 6-10W rms outputs one gets from a HU. If one desires more power a 3875 ot 3886 based chip amp can provide a great option.
....which explains why I feel the need for a sub when playing certain tracks. Surely, the bass you can get from a sub certainly cannot be compared with bass from a 6x9.

Besides, in my car (and in many others), the 6x9 is mounted on a parcel tray in which the front and back are not completely isolated. Perhaps, I need to work on that.
Old 28th February 2006, 14:42   #2954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Besides, in my car (and in many others), the 6x9 is mounted on a parcel tray in which the front and back are not completely isolated. Perhaps, I need to work on that.
6x9 work well in small aperiodic boxes. Had done this in a Honda CVCC in 1984.
Old 4th March 2006, 13:58   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

Planning on going in for an ICE upgrade for my Santro Zipdrive.

Currently I have installed in my car :

HU : Pioneer 7650 (1 year old)
Front : Pioneer TS20 Tweeter (6 - 7 years old !!)
Rear : Pioneer TS-6891r (6" x 9") http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rhh86DJ...9&I=130TSA6981

Sony Xplod 502 amp (1 year old).
_______

My cousins car has the following installed its hardly been used 10 days (the ICE) and he wants to replace it all! He has boston tweeters in the front, boston fx93 rear co-axials and an alpine mrp-f240 amp. He has dumped these with me and im hoping to use this or maybe exchange them for something more suited. The amplifier I will retain.

My IMMEDIATE requirements :

I want to exchange MY HU and get something better (those alpine look tempting).
Add compo's for the front

And in a couple of weeks I might think of adding a sub.

I mostly listen to electronic/ambient/downbeat genre's and rock. My requirement is not so much loud, but crisp and clear sound.

Some recommendations on front compo's which will fit the Santro company slots?

Should I take out the pioneers and put in the bostons ? (Till now the pioneers have been delivering some good bass due to the plank/sony amp)

Regards,
s0uljah.
p.s : limited budget.. eheh i know this doesnt mean anythign to you guys ;]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks