Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2006, 17:23   #2851
Distinguished - BHPian

Incidentally Canton is a fairly respectable brand from Germany.
Old 30th January 2006, 18:40   #2852
Team-BHP Support

Guys I need some help. I want to build a subwoofer enclosure for my Pioneer TS-W304F. Can someone guide me to the size of the box that I should keep? I lost the manual and want to DIY the box. The car is a 2006 Hyundai Getz. Please give some tips on the materials to use and the type of enclosure I should go for to get some punchy bass. If someone has a copy of the manual please PM me. Thanks in advance.
Old 31st January 2006, 06:29   #2853
Team-BHP Support

The sub specs are:
Specifications
Watts MAX. Music Power 600W
Watts Nominal Power Handling 300W
Frequency Response 18Hz -2,000Hz
Sensitivity 89dB (1W/1m)
Ohm Rating 4
Recommended Enclosure 1.2 Cubic Feet
Old 31st January 2006, 10:01   #2854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Incidentally Canton is a fairly respectable brand from Germany.
Sam, I seen this set. Not as well made as I expect from Canton (atleast the Canton I used to know in the 80s).

As usual like almost all audio equipment it is made in china and while the manufacturing is clean it looks more flimsy than a German Brand should.

One expect better from anything "German". I maybe biased towards German products but even considering the bias I was a bit disappointed given the 11K price. at 8K it starts making sense.
Old 31st January 2006, 10:47   #2855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam, I seen this set. Not as well made as I expect from Canton (atleast the Canton I used to know in the 80s).
Oh! Disappointing then. I must look out for it though.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:04   #2856
Team-BHP Support

I think Viper can help you.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:53   #2857
BHPian

Could u guys suggest a HU & speakers for my new swift ?
Don't wanna spend too much as I drive the car over very short distances most of the times.
Did some initial survey and am looking at the following option as of now.
HU - Sony (not sure of the model name) but it does have '250' in it and has a power of 52 rms. The illumination of the buttons & display is red & white respectively. It costs about 7.5k if I buy it from a Sony shop and 5k otherwise (ie grey market). It is supposed to be a 2006 model and comes with a remote. An MP3 player if I may add.
Speakers - 4 X 6" sony speakers to fit into the space provided for them in the 4 doors. The 2 pairs of speakers would cost about 3k.
One of the dealers suggested 'Ma' speakers which, according to him, are better and of course more expensive.

My questions . . .
= Does someone have this system / heard of it, and is it good ?
= Are the prices ok ?
= Is it too risky to buy from the grey market ?
= Will the 4 6" speakers in the doors have a decent enough effect ?
= Any better options ?
= I've never heard of 'Ma', have u ?
Old 31st January 2006, 17:01   #2858
BHPian

Moralfibre, if the company recommends a 1.2 cu ft enclosure try it out. I suppose they mean a sealed one.
Old 31st January 2006, 17:44   #2859
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak
Don't wanna spend too much as I drive the car over very short distances most of the times.
HU - Sony (not sure of the model name) but it does have '250' in it and has a power of 52 rms. The illumination of the buttons & display is red & white respectively. It costs about 7.5k if I buy it from a Sony shop and 5k otherwise (ie grey market). It is supposed to be a 2006 model and comes with a remote. An MP3 player if I may add.
Speakers - 4 X 6" sony speakers to fit into the space provided for them in the 4 doors. The 2 pairs of speakers would cost about 3k.
One of the dealers suggested 'Ma' speakers which, according to him, are better and of course more expensive.

My questions . . .
= Are the prices ok ?
= Any better options ?
I just cant recollect the HU model number that ur mentioning .. However its better to go in for the pioneer 5750 .. They dont seem to be having any lense problems that i know of .. Yes of lately my sony HU in the alto seems to have lense problems too ..

Coming to speakers i think swifts doorpads can accomodate 6.5'' on all doors .. Look to buy speakers from a reputed brand like alpine , hertz , JBL, blaupunkt .. Preferably components for the front and coax for the rear .. Also ur budget would help us better to give u specific model numbers ..

Coming to MA Audio , i had an oppurtunity to listen to the 6.5'' components in a friends car .. The speakers sounded crappy without any clear distinction btwn the mids and the highs .. And to top it all there was no clear front soundstage whatsoever , even after using the fader settings and tinkering with the amp gains and all .. Would never recommend them to any of my friends .. And this install was done by EB Bass guys who year after year seem to be winning the DB Drags .. SPL is all i can hear , SQ doenst fit to the nearest mile in that car ..

Also if ur going in for a sub u can make use of the rear door pods , if u not u need to get good 6x9's on a mdf tray to give u good lows .. To top this u will need a 4ch amp.. Hope that helps ..
Old 31st January 2006, 18:23   #2860
BHPian

Quote:

My questions . . .
= Are the prices ok ?
= Any better options ?
As Mclaren suggested the Pioneer 5750 is a good buy in the grey market. You should get it for about Rs 7000. It has 3 pairs of pre-outs (you can power six pairs of speakers by adding amps or ideally 2 pairs of speakers and one subwoofer).

The door speaker pods in the Swift accomodate 6.5 inch round speakers. If you are on a tight budget you can get 2 way or 3 way speakers for these locations. JBLs are pretty good. I think the model number is GTO 636e. The Pioneer and Sony speakers are cheaper but not as good as JBL. Some other popular brands are Kicker, Boston, Polk...

If you are looking to build your system in parts, you could go in for one pair of good 2 way or 3 way speakers up front. Later you can get components for the front and move the full range speakers behind. The amps and the sub-woofer can be added later.

I'm not an expert on these matters but have been following this thread for 6 months. I own a swift Vxi with a Pioneer 5750, Kicker coaxials in front and Honda CRV OE speakers at the back (cheap).

Future upgrades
1. JBL 606 CE for the front (will move the Kickers behind)
2. A good 4 channel amp. Sony 504 is what fits my budget but would like to get a better amp. Experts Any suggestions?
3. A 10 inch subwoofer in a sealed enclosure.
4. Another 2 channel amp to power the sub. (If I can afford it. If not I'll power the amp by bridging the rear 2 channels of the 4 channel amp)

This is my first post in the forum. If it seems like rambling
Old 31st January 2006, 18:55   #2861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Coming to MA Audio , i had an oppurtunity to listen to the 6.5'' components in a friends car .. The speakers sounded crappy...
But think about it... when someone else says "Mere paas Alpine, Sony, JBL, Pioneer hai... tumhare paas kya hai" your friend can reply... "Mere paas MA hai"
Old 31st January 2006, 21:31   #2862
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
But think about it... when someone else says "Mere paas Alpine, Sony, JBL, Pioneer hai... tumhare paas kya hai" your friend can reply... "Mere paas MA hai"
And that goes onto show that someones been watching too many adds of late ... Actually been wondering where u both have disappeared to ??

PS : sameerji still hasnt bothered to reply to my PM .. Its been a week .. SAM (shaking sam !!! ) ???
Old 1st February 2006, 08:59   #2863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Guys I need some help. I want to build a subwoofer enclosure for my Pioneer TS-W304F. .
the 304F is a free air sub. wonder why the recommended a box?
never mind....I would build a 1 cu. ft. trapezoid and if you find the bass too boomy/lumpy/one note then add a aperiodc vent to the box.
Old 1st February 2006, 09:09   #2864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sony (not sure of the model name) but it does have '250' in it and has a power of 52 rms. The illumination of the buttons & display is red & white respectively. It costs about 7.5k if I buy it from a Sony shop and 5k otherwise (ie grey market).

= Any better options ?
1. dont use MA or BOSS products. While I have never heard them too many on this forum have complaints with these 2 brands.

2. HU: Sony, Pio and Blau all make good HU in this price band. The only issue I have with Pio is that they dont seem to have a consistent marketing policy (no warranty) for India. If it were me I'd look at Blau or Sony in that order.

3. Speakers: A good set of 6" will run you 3.5K per pair. 7K for 4. My Father in law has 4 JBL 636 in his Swift (powered by an Alpine 9847 HU) and he is happy. I heard it once and it was great. I did miss a sub and the imaging offered by components though but then I am spoilt. Dad however listens to Geaorge Michael, J-Lo, 50 Cent and 2 Pac and stuff like that so I wonder if imaging is important.

Oh yes and budget from some nicer wires and install labour.
Old 1st February 2006, 10:00   #2865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
the 304F is a free air sub. wonder why the recommended a box?
never mind....I would build a 1 cu. ft. trapezoid and if you find the bass too boomy/lumpy/one note then add a aperiodc vent to the box.
Should I mount it on an MDF tray then?

Most Viewed