Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2006, 10:12   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
How about having two pairs of 6X9 speakers and a sub at the rear in a box or a MDF tray..... I know the sound will all be at the back...but what about sound quality..?
As there is less space for 6X9 in front to be mounted is this a better option...

ps: my car is a zen
2 pairs of what? that too at the back and then you add a sub?

as Navin said, get a sub ,maybe two and a powerful amp. Why waste space with two 6x9.
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:56   #2837
BHPian

MORE EXPLANATION for KPZEN

{2 pair of coax6*9 = 4 speakers }
{ + 1 woofer }
all at the rear on MDF tray

how will it sound ???

you ppl told him that its not easy to mount 6*9 coax at front doors so he is putting them at rear tray along with another pair of 6*9coax and woofer in tray.

please advice again
Old 23rd January 2006, 14:01   #2838
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
How about having two pairs of 6X9 speakers and a sub at the rear in a box or a MDF tray..... I know the sound will all be at the back...but what about sound quality..?
As there is less space for 6X9 in front to be mounted is this a better option...

ps: my car is a zen
Two pairs of 6x9's at the back and ALONG with a sub too ?? And ur looking at sound quality ?? The only quality ul get is a QUALITY HEADACHE !!!!! This config sounds insane on a DICOR only , pity what will happen to a zen ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1101
i saw alpine amps, they are available for
4channel = 3000Rs
2channel = 1500Rs
THEY ARE NOT ORIGNAL, but are easily available in delhi

does any one have an aprox idea of their power rating.
amit , STAY AWAY from these !!!! Not worth wasting ur money on ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd January 2006 at 14:03.
Old 23rd January 2006, 16:47   #2839
BHPian

Thanks, Navin. Any particular reason you did not recommend the Sony HU and amp I was considering? I guess the sub is something I can add later. The Hyundai guys tell me that I can place the components in the front.

What say you, Navin.

Which is the model of Blaupunkt HU you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Rover : 23rd January 2006 at 16:49.
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:18   #2840
BHPian

Hiya..

After going through all the valuable posts by the Gurus and after some research and a bit of compromising, our car ( SWIFT) audio Setup looks like this.

1) Head unit: Alpine cda-9853
2) Front and rear components : Inifinity reference 6010cs
3) JBL 4 channel amp ( TO POWER the components)
4) 2 channel Clarion Amp 200w ( for the sub)
5) One boston 12 inch Sub 1200cs or something( 250 W) Decided against the high wattage speakers.

I cant remember the model nos at this point and am not old!

The Setup cost me:
14K(Head Unit) +42k ( Speakers+Amps+ Decent Wiring Kit+ INSTALLATION) =56k

How it Sounds:

I cant say that am totally bowled over by the clarity as i am fiddling with the parametric equaliser settings, sub woofer settings and crossover settings. But I must say that the audio CDs do sound great compared to the Mp3 format. All in all it does sound good.

The tonal quality sounds different in a better way from the normal setup that i have been used to. The equaliser controls are pretty detailed to control the frequency range.

Somehow, i feel that the high frequencies dont seem to be crisp enuff. I donno whether the speakers are made to behave like that to avoid noise or the amp is playing its part or my ears are used to the regular crispy highs .

Any suggestions?

The FM radio seems to be gud enuff with a very gud reception range and quality.

Note: I could have done a lot of bargaining and maybe looked at different choice of sub and amps, i dint have the time for all that. Am a bit busy these days. Hope the setup is decent enuff.

Cheers
-Muni
Old 23rd January 2006, 20:46   #2841
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Hiya..
5) One boston 12 inch Sub 1200cs or something( 250 W) Decided against the high wattage speakers.

Somehow, i feel that the high frequencies dont seem to be crisp enuff. I donno whether the speakers are made to behave like that to avoid noise or the amp is playing its part or my ears are used to the regular crispy highs .

Any suggestions?

Hope the setup is decent enuff.
Muni, most guys here would give their right arm for such a set up.

I like it.

Q: where did you mount the tweeters?

If you like crisper sound you could have used JBL. Infinity is a bit more laid back.

However some months back I too apart a Infinity crossover and posted some chnages to make it even more laid back. You could work that in reverse and make the speaker more forward.

However before you do that try tinkering with the EQ on the HU. The Alpine has a parametric EQ which allows you to set the boost, freq, and Q of the EQ. Try boosting 10kHz by 6db and using a Q of 2 or 3 and see if that helps.
Old 23rd January 2006, 20:51   #2842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
Thanks, Navin. Any particular reason you did not recommend the Sony HU and amp I was considering? I guess the sub is something I can add later. The Hyundai guys tell me that I can place the components in the front.

What say you, Navin.

Which is the model of Blaupunkt HU you recommend?

Thanks for the help.
Models are not my cuppa tea. Between Alzheimers and Senility I dont have much memory left so I cant remember model numbers or prices hopefully the gurus can help.

Sony is good but at your budget you could afford Blaupunkt too.

Ask Hyundai where the tweeter pods are. if they cant find them ask them where do they expect you to install the tweeters. if you are satisfied with their answer then by all means use compnents.

I like my cars to look stock. I have see some nice mods does to the A pillar of the Swift and Getz and the tweeter installed in this A pillar but it involves cutting.
Old 25th January 2006, 15:05   #2843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Muni, most guys here would give their right arm for such a set up.

I like it.

Q: where did you mount the tweeters?

If you like crisper sound you could have used JBL. Infinity is a bit more laid back.

However some months back I too apart a Infinity crossover and posted some chnages to make it even more laid back. You could work that in reverse and make the speaker more forward.

However before you do that try tinkering with the EQ on the HU. The Alpine has a parametric EQ which allows you to set the boost, freq, and Q of the EQ. Try boosting 10kHz by 6db and using a Q of 2 or 3 and see if that helps.
thanks navin..i will tinker with the parametric equaliser settings before attempting to alter the crossover.

And regerding the tweeter placements, they have been mounted about 15 cms above the door speakers and i think they are still far off from the ears.

They seem to be facing straight and not at an angle upwards towards the seats. I know tweeters are direction sensitive and i need to get them point upwards towards my ears. That may improve to an extent i feel.

If possible, will post the pics of the entire setup shortly.

A couple of questions more..

a) One more thing is that the sub response though increases to a great extent when i enable the 'Mx' setting, spoils the music feel with a certain harshness. When i set that to off, the music sounds good but the subwoofer response is subdued to a large extent though the sub level is set to the maximum. Is there anything i can do to improve the bass response when the Mx option is set to off. DO i increase the gain of the sub in the amp. I think its set to abt 80 to 90% of max

b) Since am always seated at the front side, have got the sound stage set a bit to the front side say 60:40 b/w front and rear. Will it affect the way the bass is gonna sound as it feels as though the bass its comin from behind or shud i make the sound stage as 50:50 to get the bass feel more integrated. Hope you get what am trying to say.

Thanks

Last edited by muni : 25th January 2006 at 15:12.
Old 26th January 2006, 01:53   #2844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a) One more thing is that the sub response though increases to a great extent ...DO i increase the gain of the sub in the amp. I think its set to abt 80 to 90% of max

b) Since am always seated at the front side.... Hope you get what am trying to say.

Thanks
1. you can decrease the gain of the speaker amps. if you dont have speaker amps and only the sub has an amp you can boost the sub also by boosting the 50Hz signal on your HU's equalliser.

2. Use the fader to set the front rear level to your liking.
Old 27th January 2006, 01:09   #2845
jat
BHPian

Teri galliyon me hum aayen (par kuch samjh nahi payen)

Many times I have tried to get into this section but I got scared due to my limited jat's knowledge but finally I have dared. (Many a times I have wished that electronics were never invented - it would have made my life very much easier). If you guys can have one thread without any comments but something for novices like us, it would be nice. At least we will be able to understand what is bridge and won't try drive our car over it :-) (This one term I am able to understand a little)

RK

Mods If you find this post is in wrong thread, please delete it.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:38   #2846
Team-BHP Support

Jat,

We did try to start different threads but somehow this thread has caught fire. I agree it is out of control but I cant find the time or energy to srt of this thread. I would love to but have more urgent uses for my time.

All I can say is "Sam started it!!!". :-) Where is that devil anyway?
Old 27th January 2006, 16:13   #2847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
JAll I can say is "Sam started it!!!". :-) Where is that devil anyway?
Sorry for my absence Old man, been hectic at work. I'm here now. Hello all, did you miss me?
Old 27th January 2006, 16:15   #2848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
-Muni
I am impressed Muni. My compliments on a good setup. I am curious about the clarion Sub Amp. An uncommon choice. How does it sound?
Old 29th January 2006, 00:43   #2849
BHPian

Hiya guys,
Wow sameer, hawa haa jhokha . Well, as usual i have a query to all you wonderful people. Well, let me start with my audio system so far in my esteem all over again coz i am sure no one remembers.
Head Unit - Pioneer P1Y
Rears - JBL GTO 936.
i just bought myself kicker 4 inch components (EX-4.2) for 5k. the specs of this set is 35 watts rms and 70 watts peak. Can i power the front channels of my (not yet bought) amplifier ie 6100f? will the fronts get damaged since the continous power of the amp is 60 x 4? will the components handle the power without distorting? or should i just power the rears with the amp and bridge the other two channels to run a sub in the future thus running the fronts on the Head unit?

Now my car accessories guy (car touch - milan subway) suggested that i replace my rear JBLs with some Canton 3 way components for the rears costing 12k. the set looks awesome with two 8 inch woofers, two 5 inch midrange spks and a pair of tweeters and ofcourse 2 crossovers. Now i havent heard of this brand but he told me that if i go in for these at the back i wouldnt need a sub and my four channel amplifier i.e pioneer 6100f can comfortably run the kicker fronts and canton rears without any need for a sub.

what i would want to know is that how good a brand is canton? and secondly should i go ahead and buy it? I couldnt try these spks out coz the dealer said that it will sound really good only when it runs on an amp.

if this canton set solves my problem of clean bass then i can totally forget about a sub in the future which sounds good news for me but i am only worried about the brand since i have never heard of it before.
BTW, this dealer is also a member of team-bhp(cartouch_56) and he also told me that navinji was very interested in this set and wanted it for 10k. Navinji, is it true?

sam, navin, mclaren and others, please suggest, i need your opinions.

Cheers.

Last edited by prince85 : 29th January 2006 at 00:54.
Old 30th January 2006, 10:18   #2850
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Hiya guys,
Head Unit - Pioneer P1Y
Rears - JBL GTO 936.
i just bought myself kicker 4 inch components (EX-4.2) for 5k. the specs of this set is 35 watts rms and 70 watts peak. Can i power the front channels of my (not yet bought) amplifier ie 6100f? will the fronts get damaged since the continous power of the amp is 60 x 4? will the components handle the power without distorting? or should i just power the rears with the amp and bridge the other two channels to run a sub in the future thus running the fronts on the Head unit?

Now my car accessories guy (car touch - milan subway) suggested that i replace my rear JBLs with some Canton 3 way components for the rears costing 12k. the set looks awesome with two 8 inch woofers, two 5 inch midrange spks and a pair of tweeters and ofcourse 2 crossovers. Now i havent heard of this brand but he told me that if i go in for these at the back i wouldnt need a sub and my four channel amplifier i.e pioneer 6100f can comfortably run the kicker fronts and canton rears without any need for a sub.

what i would want to know is that how good a brand is canton? and secondly should i go ahead and buy it? I couldnt try these spks out coz the dealer said that it will sound really good only when it runs on an amp.

if this canton set solves my problem of clean bass then i can totally forget about a sub in the future which sounds good news for me but i am only worried about the brand since i have never heard of it before.
BTW, this dealer is also a member of team-bhp(cartouch_56) and he also told me that navinji was very interested in this set and wanted it for 10k. Navinji, is it true?

sam, navin, mclaren and others, please suggest, i need your opinions.

Cheers.
I would connect the 6100 to the front and subs.

a) most speakers complain (read as distort and compress) the music before dying besides the amp wont clp as easily as your HU. That means less change of higher order harmincs frying your tweeter. I would go so far to say that the 6100 is LESS likely to blow your speakers than you HU! I am not even gonna discuss power ratings. Most published specs are wildly optimistic some are just plain BULL.

b) A 6x9 has about the sruface area of a 8" woofer. That sais I can assume that provided the 8" Canton is used i a properly designed box it will not signifincatly outperform the 6x9 in the bass department at least not in the quantity of bass. However the bass quality could be improved.

Beyond that the 8" 3 way (I've seen it sold for less - how much less would be betrayal of trust - all I intend to do is warn you to bargain hard) should offer you better midrange and high frequency response. How much of that is essential for a rear speaker is left to debate.

Also since it has an external crossover box that has room for better capacitors and inductors one can modify the crossovers to probably improve the sound further.

Lastly I would compare this system to say a good 5" component speaker mated to a 8" woofer like the ES200 from Hertz. One could for example get the 5510 from Infinity for say 5K and mate that to an ES200 and for about 12K have a good alternate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks