Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2005, 18:08   #2701
Distinguished - BHPian

Amit:
EP - earphone, RCA - RCA audio terminal.

A stereo EP to 2RCA is basically a wire with a stereo headphone jack on one end and 2 sterep jacks (like on your amps etc) on the other.
A lot of modern decks have an auxilliary (aux) input, in the shape of 2 additional RCA audio jacks at the rear. In which case you simply buy this wire, plug it into the line/headphone out of any mp3 player, discman etc and you're in business!
Old 26th December 2005, 19:09   #2702
BHPian

SAM u work for JBL pls. comment on this one
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=AMP&ser=GTI

GTi Series A6000GTI 6000-Watt Balanced-Current Subwoofer Amplifier
have you even seen this amp, how big is it
now why would any one want a 7000watt RMS amp is his car
i mean its like killing yourself, with sound ??? all u would hear is nothing coz u'll deaf as soon as u increase the volume :-)
7000 rms means you are running 5 home AC of 1.5 tonn each
u can also heat your water in morning just in 1 minute, attach a bucket with amps heatsink n use ear deafner and lisen to rock. lol
no offence to JBL, but it looks like a6000gti is designed for people with extreme hearing problems
Old 26th December 2005, 22:14   #2703
BHPian

check out this site

this is a great site for newbies
learn wat is amp n how it works
how to attach HU and amp lots more
http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm
Old 27th December 2005, 00:08   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1101
now why would any one want a 7000watt RMS amp is his car.i mean its like killing yourself, with sound ??? all u would hear is nothing coz u'll deaf as soon as u increase the volume :-)
7000 rms means you are running 5 home AC of 1.5 tonn each
u can also heat your water in morning just in 1 minute, attach a bucket with amps heatsink n use ear deafner and lisen to rock. lol
no offence to JBL, but it looks like a6000gti is designed for people with extreme hearing problems
Well Amit1101, such products are meant to be a statement. In this case they are a result of Crown (a respected pro audio amplifier mfr) being bought out by Harman Intl (which owns JBL) and subsequently Crown and JBL combining energies to make such a product.

While SQ snobs might turn up their noses, many SPL freaks would have wet dreams over this amp...

Personally, for $6000 I have my eye on a Class A 25w x 2 amp...
Old 27th December 2005, 06:02   #2705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Personally, for $6000 I have my eye on a Class A 25w x 2 amp...
SE or PP?
Triode or UL?

Actually Sam designing a class A SS amp is not diffcult. Run any Class AB amp at high Iq and you got Class A. so a 200W Class AB amp could give you 20W class A.
Old 27th December 2005, 09:32   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Dude what model? Maybe it has an aux input. If it does then no special cable necessary, just an ordinary stereo EP to 2 rca. Fm xmitters not so expensive last i looked either.
Thats a good news :-)

Mine is a Pioneer 5750 (You didnt read my post completly :( )

& I believe It does have an Aux input
Old 27th December 2005, 10:24   #2707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
SE or PP?
Triode or UL?

Actually Sam designing a class A SS amp is not diffcult. Run any Class AB amp at high Iq and you got Class A. so a 200W Class AB amp could give you 20W class A.
Do we still use class A for audio amps in this world
i thought for audio we use only class AB which is slowly being replaced by class D and other efficient digital power amps.
Iq its quicent current right.
Old 27th December 2005, 11:33   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i thought for audio we use only class AB which is slowly being replaced by class D and other efficient digital power amps.
Yes Amit1101... WE still use class A amps... we also still use tube amps for that matter. And I think audiophiles will consider class D seriously the day it will sound even half as good as a nice Class A... So while Class D, Class T and other 'digital' amplifiers may soon be the norm for PC speakers, background music, active subwoofers etc., Its gonna be a long long time before you will see them in audiophile systems.

BTW, I use 65.7% efficient class AB amplifiers in my car... Why would I even consider Class D?

Last edited by gunbir : 27th December 2005 at 11:40.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:22   #2709
BHPian

where do we use class A amps. for subs or mid range ...
class A has bad efficieny allright but i heard they dont sound well too????
i think class ab is the only amp with the greatest fedality,or is it class A?????

ya even i wont go for class D until there is some serious power shortage in my car
I am CLASS AB blood group too
Old 27th December 2005, 15:32   #2710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Well Amit1101, such products are meant to be a statement. In this case they are a result of Crown (a respected pro audio amplifier mfr) being bought out by Harman Intl (which owns JBL) and subsequently Crown and JBL combining energies to make such a product.

While SQ snobs might turn up their noses, many SPL freaks would have wet dreams over this amp...
Thanks bro - took the words right outta my mouth.
Old 27th December 2005, 19:59   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
SE or PP?
Triode or UL?

Right Navin, provided the amp has sufficient power supplies and heat sink area.
Old 27th December 2005, 20:06   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Amit I have read on the forum that you are building amplifier. And person asking this question, who himself is designing and building an amplifier is funny.

One of the most craved amplifers in Hi-Fi world are Class A amplifiers (both Solid State and Tube).

Under no circumstances the class AB amplifiers are being replaced by class D as class AB is much better sounding design than class D. Class D amplifier has only advantage of being efficient thats why it is to run heavy loads (subwoofers). And where the sound quality is not important. Though I can tell you that even in sub bass the class AB amplifier kills class D in definition.

Last edited by Autophile : 27th December 2005 at 20:08.
Old 27th December 2005, 20:20   #2713
BHPian

Quote:
where do we use class A amps. for subs or mid range ...
Quote:
class A has bad efficieny allright but i heard they dont sound well too????
i think class ab is the only amp with the greatest fedality,or is it class A?????

ya even i wont go for class D until there is some serious power shortage in my car
I am CLASS AB blood group too
Class A's are one of the best sounding amplifiers above all the Class AB's, D's, T's etc. Class A amplifiers are used for tweeters and mids, no point using on the subwoofer..Costs too much and reproducing bass on Class A is not funny for car's electricals.

You have heard right about their bad efficiency. And I don't know from where have you heard that they don't sound good. I don't know whether you have personally listened to class A amplifer or not.

Class A run hot (inefficient) because the output stages have current flowing in their rails all the time unlike designs like class AB / D where they keep on switching on/off according as required.

And FYI the class A is the amplifier design which offers you the maximum fidelity as it can eliminate the crossover distortion (because of components resistors, inductors, capacitors etc). Though some well designed class AB amplifier can come close. But still class A amplifier is the king of the amplifer hill.

Using class AB or class D in your car has nothing to do with your power shortage as it is purely theoretical. Use them and you will see for yourself.

Last edited by Autophile : 27th December 2005 at 20:22.
Old 28th December 2005, 01:03   #2714
BHPian

[quote=Autophile][left]
Class A's are one of the best sounding amplifiers above all the Class AB's, D's, T's etc. Class A amplifiers are used for tweeters and mids, no point using on the subwoofer..Costs too much and reproducing bass on Class A is not funny for car's electricals.
[quote=Autophile][left]

My book said class AB is best so i decided to make one and gift it to my zen but now you say class A is best..

well i read this in my engg. book , it stated that class A has very poor fedality , i read this in many books,
Then i worked up my brain and came up with this reason- the transfer curve of an tranisitor(amp) is not linear, it becomes steeper as it goes up
this will result is diffrent output current change for +/- ve cycles, more o/p for +ve cycle and less for -ve cycle

but i personaly heard only class AB on speakers
crossover distortion is completey removed in class AB(acc. to my book), its only there is class B, is it ???

Last edited by amit1101 : 28th December 2005 at 01:18.
Old 28th December 2005, 01:31   #2715
BHPian

most of the new class ab amps have less than 0.1%THD+noise, any Total Harmonic distortion(THD) less than 1% is hardly audible
So how does class A sound better than AB
Is there any factor other than THD+noise rating which governs the sound quality.
Frequency Response,Signal-to-Noise Ratio not an issue b/w class a and ab

Last edited by amit1101 : 28th December 2005 at 01:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks