Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 16:52   #2116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
but as u said, for me to add a sub, i need 3 pre outs right?
is there any other way of doing it instead of changing the HU
ak
no your HU will allow you to connect a sub. it has one pair of RCA out which can feed 1 2 channel amp which can be connected to either a sub or rear speakers.

if you intend to connect a sub then you can use the HU's internal amplifier for the front and rear speakers.

Sam's option allows you to connect a 4 channel amp to the single pair of RCA out and then the 4 channel amp will power the rear speakers and sub leaving your HU to drive the front speakers.

Now some years back they made HUs that allowed you could actually brige the 4 channel HU amp to a 2 channe amp and get a bit more power but i am not sure if your Sony will allow you to do this.l
Old 26th October 2005, 16:58   #2117
BHPian

few days since i posted - was very busy.

My exp with 1 pre out (for Avinash's sake)
If you plan to add an amp to power your front or rear speakers, don't go for a HU with just one preout. I did and it meant so many compromises (no fader control, no right left balancer and others) that I immediately changed my HU for a 3 preamp output one.

A cheaper option, and a good one at that
Power your front and rear speakers directly from the HU. and use an amp just for the sub. (Your preamp is a rear/sub switchable so the preamp can be set to sub, and all speakers directly on HU) This will bring down the cost and mean no compromises. And I would really suggest you try this option out with your current HU before opting for one with 3 preamps.

Best Option with medium budget
Change to a 3 Preamp out put HU. Around 9000/-
4 channel amp for powering front & Rear.
2 channel amp for powering Sub.
Speakers of your choice.

Speakers
I've had a chance to demo speakers of three brands.
Sony,Pioneer,JBL.
Sony- sounded decent enough clarity wise but i found them really really lacking in bass!
Pioneer - Love their 6x9 ovals (I tested 350wPMPO ones)
JBL - Front Compos JBL 606C - Excellent sound. Very happy with this choice i made.
GTO 936 - Clarity is really good - You can listen to both JBL and Pioneer and decide between them.

Hope that will help.

PS I'm no Audio expert, just an average enthusiast - and the opinions of experts could vary.
Old 26th October 2005, 16:59   #2118
Senior - BHPian

since most here would favour 5510 which costs just 1k than ur currrent HU, cnay u ask teh dealer 2 get u 5510 . say u will pay 1k. what say?
Old 26th October 2005, 17:05   #2119
Team-BHP Support

if th dealer wont budge, get nice front/rear speakers, 2 ch. amp and a sub. use the present Hu till it dies. upgrade HU and add 4 channel amp for front rear speakers.
Old 26th October 2005, 17:11   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
dont u think thats a tough choice to make specially if u want to have a fader to set it to front soundstage..best would be to get a HU with 3 preouts..AK try and find out from ur dealer if they can get u a HU with 3 preouts..
Mc Laren its better to use a Y-cable and split the RCAs into 2 than powering only the ovals and sub in the rear. That would shift the soundstage completely towards the rear.

So as opposed to that it would be better to loose the fader but power all 4 speakers. That way the sound stage will be a lil better than the first option. Of course this is not the ideal setup, but the suggestion is keeping in mind to the limitations of his HU!

Last edited by aseem : 26th October 2005 at 17:14.
Old 26th October 2005, 17:15   #2121
Team-BHP Support

I'd rather let the HU power the front and use an amp for the suub this way i can fade to the front and use the amp's sens control to bring the sub level up. you'll get bass fromt the sub, imaging from the front but the power delivery will be limited.
Old 26th October 2005, 17:21   #2122
Senior - BHPian

ahem....wont the Y cable cost some dough?
just pay the dealer 1k ( price of good Y cable)and get 5510.
Old 26th October 2005, 17:27   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
use the present Hu till it dies.
Navin's options are too long term sometimes...lol I guess that happens with age
Old 26th October 2005, 18:16   #2124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
ahem....wont the Y cable cost some dough?
just pay the dealer 1k ( price of good Y cable)and get 5510.
hey jk even 5510 has only 2 preouts..so that doesnt solve the problem that AK's having..one good HU that has 3 preouts is pioneer 7750 at 9k...
Old 26th October 2005, 18:54   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
hey jk even 5510 has only 2 preouts..so that doesnt solve the problem that AK's having..one good HU that has 3 preouts is pioneer 7750 at 9k...
I would say 2 pre-outs are better than 1 although 3 would be ideal. Having 2 pre-outs you could use 1 set for the fronts, and use the other for the rear speakers and subwoofer. That way you could fade between the front and the rear. You would however loose out on sub volume control!
Old 26th October 2005, 18:59   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I'd rather let the HU power the front and use an amp for the suub this way i can fade to the front and use the amp's sens control to bring the sub level up. you'll get bass fromt the sub, imaging from the front but the power delivery will be limited.
Navinji even though I am a big advocate of FRONT soud staging, however I have the setup you are recommending in my Esteem, where my front speakers (4") are running from the head unit, and the rear speakers and sub from the amp. IT SUCKS!!!
The sound stage is completely towards the back, and using the fader to the front doesnt make much difference, as the 4" are too underpowered. I would say powering all 4 speakers would be better option.
Old 26th October 2005, 19:36   #2127
BHPian

i had been out of my office guys,
thanks for all that response..
i'll ask the guys at ford for a 3 preout,, and agree for the extra dough from my side.
hope to update on you guys on the positive tomorow...
and jk, it's gonna be me who'll drive the car so i prefer a better front sound than just amping the rears and the subs...
catchya guys tomm...
ak
Old 26th October 2005, 19:53   #2128
Senior - BHPian

guys what do u think abt the DSO(Dynamic Soundstage Organizer) function taht some sony HU have.

and mclaren, thanks 4 teh info. anyway 5510 would be a better buy right?

Last edited by jkdas : 26th October 2005 at 19:59.
Old 26th October 2005, 20:00   #2129
Senior - BHPian

The DSO function is made for raising the soundstage. However whatever the technical jagron behind it, for me its like a treble control..... want more treble, increase the DSO! I personally have it turned off!
Old 26th October 2005, 20:03   #2130
Senior - BHPian

emm me 2 felt so. but it does work in positioning the sound higher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks