Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2005, 13:41   #1936
BHPian

The first option is correct !!! One preamp out means a pair of RCA (L & R) connectors...
Old 6th October 2005, 13:50   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The first option is correct !!! One preamp out means a pair of RCA (L & R) connectors...
So, on Head Unit, its just one Socket and one jack, no two jacks HU?
Old 6th October 2005, 13:52   #1938
BHPian

No there are head units with One preout, two, three and four also.
Old 6th October 2005, 14:02   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
No there are head units with One preout, two, three and four also.
Nah, nah that is not what i asked.

Quote:
So, on Head Unit, its just one Socket and one jack, no two jacks HU?
The bold text in the quote above should have been written as one jack on head unit for one preamp output on sony 5100 Cassette deck
Old 6th October 2005, 14:56   #1940
BHPian

This is what is now done on my HU.

1) The left channel of the Preamp output is split into two and input on the front channel of the Amp

2) The Right Channel of the preamp output is split into two and input on the right channel of the Amp.

So, I can balance between Left channel and right channel on my cassette deck, but as it is connected as given above, it actually fades between front and rear speakers of my car.
In effect the Left-right channel balancer now acts as front and rear fader.

When balanced towards the left volume fades towards the front, and when balanced towards right, the volume fades towards the rear......And I got my fader working.
Am, i clear or have i confused more.............!!!
Kuch gadbad tho nahin hai na bawa!!!
Old 6th October 2005, 15:37   #1941
Team-BHP Support

you should se 2 RCA sockets one coloured red the other white. red for right channel, white for left. R for red. R for right. in fact that is why red was chosen for one channel. in the old days they used red and black.
Old 6th October 2005, 16:29   #1942
BHPian

I see it that way, Red for right, split into two - Rear channels on int.
White - again split into two - front channels on it.

So, Shift balance from left to right, actually fades audio from front to rear...

So, I have my fader.
Old 7th October 2005, 08:54   #1943
Team-BHP Support

ha ha ha but you will get right channel in the front and left channel in the rear (or vice versa). you will have a fader but this will only really work correctly for mono signals for stereo signals on well recorded music you may get some strange imaging.
Old 7th October 2005, 13:24   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
ha ha ha but you will get right channel in the front and left channel in the rear (or vice versa). you will have a fader but this will only really work correctly for mono signals for stereo signals on well recorded music you may get some strange imaging.
Right Said Sir.

I felt a lil uneasy with the sound and imaging and was somehow unhappy with the overall system & sound and the compromises I had to make with one preamp output..........

And you know what i did yesterday evening ..........

Went straight to my installer, chuked the sony cassette deck, and CD changer both. Got a new Pioneer 7750 MP3 player and NO Cassette Deck!!! (ha! yes, no cassette deck after writing posts and posts about how desperately i wanted both a cassette deck and MP3 player!!!)

The problem is that I couldn't find a single cassette deck with 3 preamp outputs!!! And I didn't want to compormise on preamps.......as fewer preamps mean a lot of compros for which i wasn't ready............

So, finally my setup reads.

1) HU - Pioneer 7750
2) Front - JBL 606 compos (Door panels)
3) Rear - JBL GTO 936 6x9 (Parcel tray)
4) Amp - Sony 504 4 channel.

And, wow! the sound!! Great!

Review.
1) Pioneer 7750 - Excellent HU. superb sound and features. If budet is around 9,000/- this is best HU in my view! The coolest feature in this HU besides the 3 preamps is the MP3 list feature where all songs of the CD are listed and you can scroll and select anyone even while another song is playing. Only negative i'd give is the Bright blue display/illumination with animations and all........Many love it, My wife and child also do, but somehow I prefer more subtle illumination.

2) JBL 606 - they are the best part about the sound in my car. have the High Pass Filter turned on, on the amp for them and they sound really really sweet. And yes, as many have pointed out they are Bright! But at 6,000/- I couldn't find better compos, infinity and Alpines are costing around 9,000/-. Have no access to Hertz compos so cannot comment. But yes, of all that i could hear, in the budget of 6,000/- JBL 606 is superb. As i said they are the life of the sound in my Car!!!

3) GTO 936 - I'm a lil dissapointed. Could be due to three reasons, a) have them in a tray in my swift and so the bass is not that tight.(didn't demo them in boxes as I want boot space)
b) maybe my expectations were a bit too high...........
c) its a grey market JBL. (Must be news for SAM, Sure was news for me that JBL is also available in grey) I asked for the JBL straight expecting them to be with guarantee and bill but to my surprise while paying the bill I found them for Rs. 3,700/- On enquiring i was told they its without guarantee!!! I said no I want guarantee and the dealer told me he'll give a dealer's guarantee not Company's!!!)Anyway, for anyone buying the 936, I would say try it out in a box and tray both and then take you pick. Also, you could try out the pioneer 6x9's. I have them in my Versa in a sealed box and they rock. (Planning to swap JBL's to the Box and Pios to the tray to have a real comparsion)

4) Sony amp - Didn't hear my setup without the amp, so can really not comment. but yes, the setup currently is really sweet sounding and obviously this could not have been without the amp being good!!

5) Waiting to ad a sub......to complete my setup. Will be trying out a few in the days to come....

ha! a lenghty mail that one...................
Just thought my experiences/reviews might be helpful to someone just as others were helpful to me.

The best part with my setup now is I don't have to compromise on the fader or the left right balancer......and I can add a sub and control it separtely too....Sound is now faded towards the front and Balanced a lil towards left and it all sounds great! (perviously in my sony setup i couldn't fade or balance and it felt like all sound coming only from right channel with rear dominating - but now no longer!!)

Mine is a one hour's tiring drive to office daily but today with all the sweet music in it I just wished the drive were an hour longer............

P.S. Thank you Buffetfan. My setup is quite similar to that of Buffet's (except for the amps and sub) It was so sweet of him to offer and give a demo of his setup!!! Thanks dude!!

Last edited by SoundManiac : 7th October 2005 at 13:30.
Old 7th October 2005, 13:38   #1945
Team-BHP Support

SM, a cassette HU with 3 preamp outputs was PROBABLY never made. Your options would have been to add an external fader control if you wanted to do that. as usual thanks to my age I can say "been there, done that". :-) LOL....I used this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alpine-3330-G...ayphotohosting

The 936 are in IB config. given the nature of this you can expect a bit of boom. JB (Autophile) might be able to offer a solution to this problem.
Old 7th October 2005, 17:18   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
SM, a cassette HU with 3 preamp outputs was PROBABLY never made. Your options would have been to add an
Navin, just confirming your "probability" that a cassette HU with 3 sets of preamp outputs was made!

Pioneer KEH-P8950 Cassette HU with 3 sets of 4 VOLTS PRE AMP outputs.

I am a proud owner!

Last edited by 5u3zEr0 : 7th October 2005 at 17:20.
Old 7th October 2005, 17:51   #1947
Team-BHP Support

wow! I thought I had seen them all! Must be a really high end model from the mid 90s.
Old 7th October 2005, 18:02   #1948
BHPian

Its nice to know we actually have a Cassette deck with 3 preouts!! I searched for Cassette players and found just one or two models of each brand listed and all without preouts or with just 1. Also remember the local Alpine dealer here showing a real high end Cassette player of Alpine make with Current retail price of Rs. 21,000/- I baulked at the price....

The pioneer double din model 5000MP with Cassette and MP3 combo listed 3 pre-amps and I had decided to change to it, but before installation when i checked the specification in the catlogue found it to be only two Pre-Outs. Front + Rear/ Front+Sub.

Finally and must admit, a lil painfully decided to chuk the cassette player totally!!!

Last edited by SoundManiac : 7th October 2005 at 18:04.
Old 7th October 2005, 18:05   #1949
Team-BHP Support

i have a cassette deck woith 2 pre outs and no amp that cost $600 in 1987. that should be about $1200-1500 in todays USD. remember at that time $600 was my week's pay before taxes.
Old 7th October 2005, 18:12   #1950
BHPian

600$ and now 1200$ !!!!

Holy Cow, What does that HU have ??? Surely not diamonds studded.....

Most Viewed