Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2005, 02:50   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
where are u from, mars (2 cute little UFOz???,got to be a native of mars to say that in one go..cute and UFOz) ..hehe BTW those UFO's are sony xplod 6x9's..specs are:

SONY XS-GT6937X:6''X9'' 3-WAY COAXIAL..

FEATURES • Peak Power: 350W
• Rated Input Power: 100W
• Frequency Response: 27Hz-30kHz
• Sensitivity: 93dB/W/m

WOOFER • HOP Cone
• Strontium Ferrite Magnet
• Cloth Edge

MID-RANGE • 66mm Paper Cone
• 55mm Strontium Ferrite Magnet

TWEETER • 25mm PEI Balanced Dome
• Piezo Magnet ..
My suggestion would be to avoid the sony.. have heard them and I think they sound wayward and lack definition...do not reproduce faithfully...would suggest JBL rear compo (GTO 936) instead of these...

I have heard the Sony Explod 5 Ways..with amp in my friends car..., had pioneer 4 way and 3 way (6921 and 6957) in my 2 cars...and now upgraded to this JBL GTO 936 ...believe me..this is the best of the lot aboce and you will get reasonable bass even without a subwoofer and even without and amp...you can get very decent sound out of these...
so if you can...avoid the sony....sony is not the same anymore after Akio Morita

Last edited by Buffetfan : 3rd October 2005 at 02:54.
Old 3rd October 2005, 02:57   #1907
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
My suggestion would be to avoid the sony.. have heard them and thing the sound the wayward and lacks definition...do not reproduce faithfully...would suggest JBL rear compo (GTO 936) instead of these...

I have heard the Sony 5 Ways..with amp in my frineds car..., had pioneer 4 way and 3 way in my 2 cars...and now upgraded to this JBL 936...believe me..this is the best of the lot and you will get reasonable bas even without a subwoofer and even without an amp...you can get very decent sound out of these...
hey buddy i wasnt suggesting ajay to buy them..but if u look carefully at the previous posts he wanted to know which speakers i was running on my car as of now..so posted the specs for him..thats it and btw those speakers arent as bad as u made them to be..how do i know??? simple im using them for the past 4 months ..again reiterates the fact that each person has got differnt tastes..so suit urselves with what sounds best to u..
Old 3rd October 2005, 16:10   #1908
BHPian

In a lighter vein..........

Point no:5 in 10 risks thread!!

Quote:
5. Thou might never be satisfied.
In spite of your carefully considered decision after reading and reading on setup, you shall still be left wondering if the choice you made was the best you could or could you have selected something better in the given budget. Was a particular JBL/Alpine amp/speaker worth the bucks or could the Sony have done the trick. Was it worth going with Bill & Warranty or would grey have been better or vice versa. And if you find a better system in another car you will not change yours but shout from the roof tops that your system rocks! It’s the best and so on and so forth….Now look at those guys who’ve said this. They’re gonna murder me. (Naah! The people here are too nice to do it – Par yeh kya? oye! Yeh tamaatar kaun maar raha hai? Abbey yeh anda kisne pheka? - Just kidding guys!! Don’t take “my system is best” thing seriously!)
No offence meant. Just Chill!!!
Old 3rd October 2005, 16:14   #1909
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
In a lighter vein..........

Point no:5 in 10 risks thread!!

No offence meant. Just Chill!!!
haha good one ..
Old 3rd October 2005, 16:20   #1910
BHPian

I wasn't very active in the past few days as I was busy visting more frorums related to digicams. Bought a sony DSC H1 for 19,000/-. Might have to compro on my Car Audio budget - but lets see.

And in these past days that i was away, I discovered strange things happening in this forum........

Gosh! People here have started doing Cars!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Now I'm really curious.... deep as an ocean... Who's doing your car McL?
And what's more they even claim that "Mine is bigger than yours!!"
Sheesh! who'se have you seen to say that!!!? Who'se is small?

Old 4th October 2005, 00:12   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey buddy i wasnt suggesting ajay to buy them..but if u look carefully at the previous posts he wanted to know which speakers i was running on my car as of now..so posted the specs for him..thats it and btw those speakers arent as bad as u made them to be..how do i know??? simple im using them for the past 4 months ..again reiterates the fact that each person has got differnt tastes..so suit urselves with what sounds best to u..
Yup Yup Yup buff.... if you see one of McL's earlier posts, he had shared a link to the photos of his 6"x9" ovals, which on night vision look liked 2 alien UFOs in silver... and that's why my curiosity as to which speakers they were....

I'm content, very satisfied and happy with my GTO 936e, enjoying them while to work and back...!!!

LOL SM dude... gud one...
Old 4th October 2005, 02:30   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry mclaren...did not mean to discount what you have in your car...I thought this was a suggestion..

Maybe the 3 ways produce more clear sound than the 5 ways...
Old 4th October 2005, 11:42   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

arrey this 5 way is all nonsense in the car. Most of the extra ways arent even a tweeter, just a piezo buzzer. (more from navin... lol)

Honestly it's a marketing gimmick, all this 4 way 5 way 6 way. All nonsense..

MClaren, I'm coming TOMORROW. lalalala paaneesaa neesaa neesaa neesaapaa
Paaneerayyy, ramaramarama.
Old 4th October 2005, 11:55   #1914
BHPian

Sam, I am waiting to see your JBLfyed cars.
Old 4th October 2005, 12:22   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Sam, I am waiting to see your JBLfyed cars.
aha , aint that a nice idea? Sam, ur cars pix pls

and was sam's jblfyed?
Old 4th October 2005, 12:29   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian

Vivek, I can hardly wait.

JK, look in the first few pages of this thread, you will find 3 or 4 JBL cars.
Old 4th October 2005, 12:35   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vivek, I can hardly wait.

JK, look in the first few pages of this thread, you will find 3 or 4 JBL cars.
hehe, the eyeballer and the oct? what abt ur lancer and swift

4got 2 tell u,my seller now has a jbl demo rack.

Last edited by jkdas : 4th October 2005 at 12:37.
Old 4th October 2005, 12:52   #1918
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, I know...
we allotted some racks to kerala this month and I made sure he got one. I remember you putting in a good word for him.

I have a few pics of my lancer... i just have a well, normal install...lol
I have an alpine HU (dont ask me the number and all), 2 JBL amps, a CS1200T tube, Infinity Kappa 693 6X9's in the rear and Infinity Kappa 5.25" components in the front.

I'm not being modest, I know it's a nice sounding setup, but the speakers are in stock position and a tube is well, a tube, so nothing much to see there...
Besides, ghar ki murghi and all that.

The swift? I havent got the car yet baba... what pictures I'll show you? My girlfriends esteem also has some decent sound, but she doesnt know how to use it... girls and speakers... lol
Old 4th October 2005, 13:31   #1919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
arrey this 5 way is all nonsense in the car. Most of the extra ways arent even a tweeter, just a piezo buzzer. (more from navin... lol)
Ok Sam you asked for this :-) ....

I think anything more than a 2 way on a 6x9 is a waste. Most 6x9 have their first break up nodes in the 1k range. Some (usually doped paper) can extend up to 2k. In a car, that too in the rear, reflecting of the rear glass, 90 deg off axis with the listeners ears, this is not signifiant. Lets not even get into road noise, traffic and all that.

In fact I would be happier if the manufactuers made a 2 way and used the extra money used in all those extra drivers to spruce up the crossover of teh 6x9. I would add 2 inductors. one for the woofer rolling it at 6db/oct and one for the tweeter rolling it at 12db/oct. this would allow you to (a) reduce the audibility of the brak up nodes before they get really nasty and (b) cross the tweeter a bit lower and take the demand off the woofer.

Most piezo tweeters are shrill and lispy. Philips used to make a decent one in the 70s that we used to put on the rear of our speaker cabinets (home speaker) to add "air" to the HF. If I remember correctly even Jim Thiel attempted to use piezos in like fashion. Today's tweeters are so good this is absolutely unnesscary.

If one looks at the mechanics of a piezo tweeter one will realise that it is effectively a resonator. This resonace has overtones and since odd and even undertones are produced the sound is harsh. Electrically piezos are like capacitors. From my memory the only "audiophile" speaker that employed piezos was the Dahlquist DQ10 then again most owners replaced them with 10mm domes from audax (along with replacing the 5" cone with a Audax cone).

DJs love piezos. They are rugged, can peirce crowd noise, and are cheap to replace.

If you guys need to know more lets hear it. If not I think this is enough for now. Anyway this link might help.

http://www.wagner.net.au/pae/Data/CT...ation_Note.pdf

Last edited by navin : 4th October 2005 at 13:34.
Old 4th October 2005, 13:46   #1920
BANNED

Quote:
MClaren, I'm coming TOMORROW. lalalala paaneesaa neesaa neesaa neesaapaa
will be waiting with wide open arms thats to take the eyeballer for a spin and not to ... ya lets go paaneesaa neesaa neesaa neesaapaa...Paaneerayyy, ramaramarama...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks