Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2005, 18:33   #166
BHPian

navin advani and sam kapasi in 1 thread - my god...is this a auto forum or was i wrong? i joined team-bhp to get away from audio. but there's just no escaping this damn thing!!!

in any case, have fun - welcome to 2 guys whom i know well - sure you'll remember me too. anyways - can u believe, this is probably the longest thread in any of the team-bhp forum threads...and it's on audio - somebody get me outta here...
cream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2005, 19:15   #167
Team-BHP Support

sure let us know were you wanna go :-) what about this place?
http://www.vexrobotics.com/

Last edited by navin : 22nd July 2005 at 19:16.
Old 22nd July 2005, 21:32   #168
BHPian

hey, i'm a simple man - still trying to figure out the basics...
Old 22nd July 2005, 23:27   #169
BHPian

Hi Sam, so Singapore is wet. Picked up anything from there?

I too think the buzzing is a simple case of grounding. It happens to me while building amps at home, this ground loop thing.
Old 23rd July 2005, 02:02   #170
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sam/Navin, needed some help with my Wagon-R.

3 months back i installed a JVC XC838 with Soomuku 4 inchers in the enclosures on the dashboard and CS 3360 JBLs on a rear tray fixed to the hatch. Since i just went thru the thread and saw that you were against something of this sort on a Wagon-R, i can't help but agree.

The mid-range volume is actually sounding jarring. And it isn't because of the speakers, but the whole rear MDF vibrating. Even the rear windscreen and hatch judder when my volume is between 18 and 25 (max possible is 48), especially when i listen to some trance and techno music. And its quite loud, drowning the music in the process.

I showed it to my fitter, but he also said that no sound deadening material is possible between the tray and the body which i found a bit hard to fathom. Is there any solution for this problem? I don't want to fit boxes since they eat up space and rear parcel trays will only compound the problem further. What is the solution... help!!

Revv
Old 23rd July 2005, 09:04   #171
Team-BHP Support

i have not seen a wagon R maybe Sam has. try this.

what i am visualizing is this. the parcel tray is vibrating as it is not tightly clamped against the rear hatch and/or the sides.

that some rubber strip and run it around the edge of the parcel tray. depending onteh thinckness of the strip you might need to add several layers to get a tight fit.

I dont think this calls for sound deadning material what you need to assure is that the MDF panel is not loose. If the panel is tight and you still have judder (shudder?) you might some frequncies in your music that has the same natual resonance of the rear glass (only the front glass can technically be called a windscreen). If this is case your only sensible option is to turn it down.
Old 23rd July 2005, 10:02   #172
BHPian

That is exactly the reason I don't believe in parcel trays. If the thing is not fitted properly, the whole thing will create a racket.
I am not sure how this is fitted. But if the parcel tray is in physical contact with the hatch/glass, then the vibration of the tray might be getting transferred to the hatch. My friend had a parcel tray which was not fitted properly. He put his 6x9s in a box and it's smooth sailing all along.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 23rd July 2005 at 10:04.
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:16   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
Sam,

Any alternative to the Boss equalizer? and Is it a bad idea to have put the sub on the rear tray?

Appreciate your thoughts.
Hey Ajay,
Primarily, the fewer components you have before your amplifier, the better it is. Equalisers were created to, well equalise, but somewhere along the way, they started doing quite the opposite. Navin will tell you why in great detail I suspect.
In particular, that eq you have offers unnatural boost to the lows and highs. While this may sound exciting to some, it can only create listening fatigue. I NEVER recommend an eq in the car, bad idea. Always better to use the milder and better sound eq settings provided in all good head units.
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:19   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
a-ha my guess is the voice coil of the woofer has gotten mis-aligned or you got dust between the voice coil and magnet. Either way I fear you'd have to get the woofer repaired son. The good guys I knew in this area are dead or retired. Sam can you help?
I can help. Ajay, Please let me know what brand woofer it is and what area of Mumbai you live in. I will suggest a person who will painstakingly open up the woofer and repair it without changing the cone or the spider. However if the voice coil is damaged, my sincere suggestion is to get a new woofer.
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:26   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
navin advani and sam kapasi in 1 thread - my god...is this a auto forum or was i wrong? i joined team-bhp to get away from audio. but there's just no escaping this damn thing!!!

in any case, have fun - welcome to 2 guys whom i know well - sure you'll remember me too. anyways - can u believe, this is probably the longest thread in any of the team-bhp forum threads...and it's on audio - somebody get me outta here...
Buss kya cream

It's just 2 guys doing what they love best. And 1 getting paid for being in audio. heh heh heh. & then ofcourse i pull in the occasional plug for JBL too.

Somehow the team of two just happened. One practical and commercial and the other out and out loony. Mark my words boys, the "Navin and Sam" TV show will be on one day. I can see it now, just like RT sees this thread as the longest Team BHP thread EVER EVER EVER

"N & S - The Audio agony uncles"
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:38   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Hi Sam, so Singapore is wet. Picked up anything from there?
A pair of Martin Logan Vignettes, a Sony Projector, a really nice toaster
some music and the super duper 12 DVD box set of LOTR & a whole lotta Sh*t for the girlfriend (all the usual, wow so nice stuff) thats all
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:52   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Hey Sam/Navin, needed some help with my Wagon-R.

3 months back i installed a JVC XC838 with Soomuku 4 inchers in the enclosures on the dashboard and CS 3360 JBLs on a rear tray fixed to the hatch. Since i just went thru the thread and saw that you were against something of this sort on a Wagon-R, i can't help but agree.

The mid-range volume is actually sounding jarring. And it isn't because of the speakers, but the whole rear MDF vibrating. Even the rear windscreen and hatch judder when my volume is between 18 and 25 (max possible is 48), especially when i listen to some trance and techno music. And its quite loud, drowning the music in the process.

I showed it to my fitter, but he also said that no sound deadening material is possible between the tray and the body which i found a bit hard to fathom. Is there any solution for this problem? I don't want to fit boxes since they eat up space and rear parcel trays will only compound the problem further. What is the solution... help!!

Revv
Hi Revv,
Parcel shelves are stupid. Wagon Rs have wonderful push back seats in the rear, perfect for a snooze or to make out.
Once you fit the parcel shelf in, you cant make out in the rear anymore.

So of course Revv you've done the clever thing and not fit that stupid parcel shelf.

Navin, you've misunderstood he doesnt have a PARCEL shelf, his tray is attached to the hatch! It goes up and down with the hatch rear door.

Revv, this is what you do. Undo the MDF board first, with the speakers etc. Now in the air sandwich between the inner metal panel and outer metal panel, fit some rubber. You know, use an old cut up tyre or those lugs of black rubber used for packing. Navin will tell you where to get exotic materials. Push a few pieces, wedge them in tight. This will greatly reduce the metallic resonance caused inside the hatch door (Which obviously wasn't designed for this). Then take a layer of Heatlon and line the MDF board rear with it. Glue it on with fevicol 989 (AKA jhat-pat)

Fit the board back on. This will definitely improve the ...umm... judder.

Cheers
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2005, 15:40   #178
BHPian

Hey wanted to ask something to all you experts - sam,navin,car touch,vivek,and all others..
Well,it might be stupid question..but please forgive me..I really wanna know this -
Everyone knows that sub woofers are fitted in the trunk..and many also fit them in the rear parcel trays..
Ok..now -the question -
I thought for the subwoofer bass sounds to be heard,there shouldn't be any mechanical physical barrier to the flow of the bass sound..well,if we fit in the sub in the trunk in sedans,there are the rear seats,and the woofer is actually totally in the trunk space,while the cabin is with the mids/tweeters speakers..so,how does the subwoofer bass get transmitted to the actual cabin ?!..please excuse me..but I really wanted to ask this question !!..so,if the sub is fitted in the cabin(rear parcel),will the sub sound better?..since it's directly pumpin the bass in the cabin itself?..
I'm sure you experts have an answer to this !..
Thanks guys,
sr
Old 23rd July 2005, 21:39   #179
lancer_mania

urgent help required i need a setup for the zen and after reading many threads on audio on tbhp i have narrowed down upon this.

rear speaker : pioneer 6990

front speaker : pionner 1610

head unit : not really decided.

so please tell me if this is good enough and the approx proce of each and suggest a good hu but the total should not exceed 11k.

please help.

Old 23rd July 2005, 23:18   #180
BHPian

srasania, Low frequency drivers do not be directed towards the listener. Higher frequencies are directional i.e the tweeter needs to be aimed at the listener.
As for the subs inside the boot, I have hardly seen the insides of sedans. So I dont know. sam, navin, car touch and all others.. over to you guys.

lancer_mania, please, please please don't buy Pioneer speakers. Get yourself Blaupunkt/Alpine/JBL.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 23rd July 2005 at 23:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks