Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 13:00   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
DONT TOUCH THE MUSIC SYSTEM ITS DANGERUOUS.
Prash - I truly believe in this statement & wanted to mention it at very beginning. But refrained after seeing your enthusiasm for enhanced audio.

Somehow, I always have this belief - do "jugaad" with things which are made in that manner (i.e. rough n tough desi types), & Don't mess up with "original" things which are made with high-level of technical expertise & finnesse.

Linea stock system is not that bad. While its not great, its doable/ok. May be I feel so because I'm not a demanding music freak. I can understand the enthusiasm of music freaks in finding a way around to do this.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:41   #47
BHPian

@VAHANPUJARI JI: i am personally not a music freak. if it entails going crazy on ice but i do believe that a certain quality or standard is necessary when it comes to audio. in this case a lot of stock systems just do not cut it. a good example here are systems like the tavera and corrola. though that is a personal opinion the point i am making is that sometimes they need that little extra to get the best out. like i remember seeing an article of a few guys who upgraded IS-F'S & BMW and even a LEXUS system in a similar fashion. they needed to retain the original HU'S as those cars carry a lot of gizmos not available to us. but those are some fab HU'S. here in india we get a slightly raw deal due to cost factor a truly unfortunate thing.
SOME of these HU'S need a kick in the backside and i don't think the linea is an exception.
Old 25th April 2009, 17:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Have gone in for (finally) an sony 4 channel amp, two front compos of 6 inches and a woofer in the boot. Rear door speakers are as it is.
Prash,

How easy/difficult was it to fix 6" speakers in the front? Any cutting or modification of the door panels required? Do you think the same can be fixed in the rear as well?

Thanks,
Red-One.
Old 26th April 2009, 23:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns666 View Post
Hi pranava. congrats & welcome to the fiat club

wow!! 30 k without a HU is an awesome budget, you can do wonders. i listen to similar music (floyd) and then some more (very heavy metal)

from my experience with ICEing fiats, let me tell you that any electrical changes in the fiat is very risky (warranty as well as complexity) and needs to be done by someone who knows fiats (more important) than someone who can do very good ICE installs
Thanks Guns will keep that in mind. BTW do you know any good installers who have experience working with fiats?

Yes I definitely plan on auditioning a few clean speakers and appreciate the options provided by you.

@prash thanks a lot for updating the thread with your experience will definitely be useful for me and other Linea owners who intend to ice their cars. also any issues with fitting the front compos in terms of space and what size coaxials can the stock space take?

Last edited by pranava999 : 27th April 2009 at 00:00.
Old 8th May 2009, 10:42   #50
BANNED

Prash

Pls share your experience with ICE. How is the modified ICE performing?
Old 8th May 2009, 11:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns666 View Post
Hi pranava. congrats & welcome to the fiat club

wow!! 30 k without a HU is an awesome budget, you can do wonders. i listen to similar music (floyd) and then some more (very heavy metal)

from my experience with ICEing fiats, let me tell you that any electrical changes in the fiat is very risky (warranty as well as complexity) and needs to be done by someone who knows fiats (more important) than someone who can do very good ICE installs

that said, you can install come clean compos in the front, clean coaxs in the back (or leave the one you have) put a sub and power them all with amps that have crossover adjustment (some actually dont - just gains)

i recommend you audition clean speakers like bostons (my fav), JLs, rainbows, hertz or audisons. JBLs are popular because they are loud (though in my opinion - not clean)
I'll go with Guns here on pretty much every point. Fiats are very special and they need to be treated right.

My $.02 on the setup.

First off, 30k is a decent budget but will eventually fall short. Unfortunate, but true
I'd do the ICEing in phases saving up every month and buying components as and when I have the cash (Incidentally, this is what I'm doing on my Palio right now). I'd suggest you should start with a front component speakers + 4ch amp + sub configuration and upgrade later.

And another word of caution, do not commit to anything without sufficient research beforehand with respect to Warranty and the various choices available in brands. My first system was a disaster because I listened to an inexperienced installer rather than my ears and did not do enough research. Google is your best friend here.

If I were you, this is how I'd tackle ICEing a brilliant car like the Linea.

HU: You could leave the Factory fitted HU the way it is and run line level inputs to the Amp. I'm not sure about how much control the HU offers on various parameters like fader etc but it will never ever satisfy the music lover in you. Every audio component has a sound signature specific to it. So, if you run the HU off an aftermarket amp, you'll be feeding a heavily proccessed signal into the amp which has another signature (read EQ. Gurus pleas correct if I'm wrong) altogether. IMO, this is not a done thing.
Budget 5k -10k. Choices: Kenwood 5039/5539, 6039/6539, 7529/8529, Clarion 785DXZ(IMO, the best in this price range), and various Pioneers and Alpines.

Front compos: I'm not sure about the stock speaker sizes in the front, but knowing FIAT, it should be 5 1/4". You can easily fit in 6 1/2" compos with a spacer ring. A 6 1/2" is always better as the speaker can produce more frequencies due to the larger diameter and cone area. I also recommend you take a long hard look at 3-way component speaker systems. Audition as many different speakers as you can before you decide on what you want to buy.
Budget 6k - 12k. Choices: Boston s60 (what I have. 6k and absolutely brilliant performance), Hertz, JL, Rainbow. Can't say about Bulls or Illusions as I haven't heard them.

Amp: The heart of your system. Never ever skimp on this part. For your needs I'd say that pick up a 4 channel amp that puts out between 60-100w RMS per channel.
Budget: 9k-15k. choices: Soundstream li'l wonder (mates really really well with the Bostons. 10.5k), Kenwood 8401 (what I have. 5k and very clean amp but not very powerful), JBL 1004(never heard it myself but a lot of people seem to like this. definitely worth a listen).

Sub: A nice sub in a well designed sealed box will do wonders to your system. A good installer who knows box design parameters is a must. Subs are expensive so you might wanna wait for a couple of months and get a good one. I have a JBL CS1204 (2.2k) and it's just about ok.

You can run the rear speakers off the HU or even put in the stock front speakers at the back if they fit. It's also a great idea to do some window shopping so you get a feel of the products available and the price range. You can audition my system over the weekend and I also know a couple of good installers who can tell you more. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Whew, that was a long post. Happy ICEing.

Just for the record, I'm not commercially associated with brand.
Old 8th May 2009, 13:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe loser View Post

HU: You could leave the Factory fitted HU the way it is and run line level inputs to the Amp. I'm not sure about how much control the HU offers on various parameters like fader etc but it will never ever satisfy the music lover in you. Every audio component has a sound signature specific to it. So, if you run the HU off an aftermarket amp, you'll be feeding a heavily proccessed signal into the amp which has another signature (read EQ. Gurus pleas correct if I'm wrong) altogether. IMO, this is not a done thing.
Budget 5k -10k. Choices: Kenwood 5039/5539, 6039/6539, 7529/8529, Clarion 785DXZ(IMO, the best in this price range), and various Pioneers and Alpines.

I also recommend you take a long hard look at 3-way component speaker systems. Audition as many different speakers as you can before you decide on what you want to buy.
Thanks for the wonderful post mate. However, won't be tampering with replacing the stock HU as its integrated with the Media Player, Blue and Me and the steering audio controls. Replacing the HU and retaining the other features mentioned above,would unnecessarily complicate the process.
Will have to compromise with the stock HU and hopefully work around its limitation with a compatible amplifier. The very thought of matching them sounds daunting and technically challenging for my limited audiophile ears as my objective is SQ to listen mainly to classic rock, blues and a smattering of house, jazz,and lounge.

Like the idea of 3 way components, have been mulling over them for a while now and it's very enticing. However, creating space for the 3 ways and the crossovers are a concern and would entail quite a lot of work on the door panels

Ultimately it all boils down to finding a good technically competent installer (which is easier said than done), who understands how to bring out the best SQ for the budget, but is also competent with the electrical setup.

Last edited by pranava999 : 8th May 2009 at 13:14.
Old 8th May 2009, 13:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Prash

Pls share your experience with ICE. How is the modified ICE performing?

have installed a sony 4 ch amp and that plays the speakers in the front doors. They are of earthquake brand. I had a tight budget so bought a sony amp for 3900 and the compos from earthquake for 3000. In the rear doors its the company fitted speakers that i am using right now. Had a 12 inch pioneer woofer which i had bought in 08. So now that is in the boot of my linea. Plus bought a woofer box for 550, a wiring kit for 550, 2 wooden rings for the 6 inch size for the front compos and paid 850 to the installer. Plus a wire for Rs 300 which runs from the amplifier in the boot till the front doors.
Now the wiring part. The inputs that i am using in the amp is from the line level thing as ther is no RC out from the HU. The front compos are played on the 'b' channel from the amp and the woofer is wired on the 'A' channel. The rear doors speakers are powered from the HU directly.
The system sounds much better than what was provided by fiat. Dont have many options on the HU apart from fading and adjusting the bass. Treble does not need to be adjusted as i have kept it on the max. The reason is that dont have much of a mid range from the existing set up.
All in all i am happy with the sound but feel the vocals to do better. So for that i am planning to install speakers on the rear doors as well.

Can gurus suggest on this please. I need to better the vocals as i am getting the base. Also it would be better if i would be able to increase the treble a bit.
Things I can do :-
1) Get some normal 6-7 inch speakers and replace it in the rear doors. The existing wires will be used. So will the HU take the speakers well? Pls suggest on which speakers i should go in for. I dont wanna spend more than 4k for these speakers.
2) Go in for compos for the rear doors as well. But am afraid wont get vocals from it. Also i wont be able to power them from the amp as all 4 channels are being used. Can i go in for compos and wire it up from the channel from wher the front speakers are being played? Will the amp be able to take load of 4 compos speakers from 2 channel? And if yes than which brand compos should i go in for in which i will get good vocals?
3) I have one more spare amp and can use that for the rear door compos but the problem is that there is no pre out in the sony amp. And this amp does not have line level input. So i am stuck and cannot use the 2nd amp which clould have played the compos on the rear door. So is there any way i can use the 2nd amp??? Can i get a pre out from the 1st sony amp???

WILL WAIT FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.
AND A WORD OF CAUTION. THE AMP REMAINS ON ALL THE TIME CAR IS USED. IT DOES NOT SWITCHES ITSELF OFF ALONG WITH THE HU. I GUESS ITS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BLUE AND ME THING. MY AMP SWITCHES ITSELF OFF WHEN I PULL THE LINE LEVEL INPUT PLUG FROM THE AMP AND MIND YOU THEY ARE NOT THE POWER CABLES BUT JUST THE NORMAL SPEAKER WIRES. AND I HAVE NOT CONNECTED THE REMOTE (POWER) WIRE WHICH USUALLY SWITCHES AMP ON AND OFF ALONG WITH THE HU BUT STILL AM USING THE AMP.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:36   #54
BHPian

Request mods to edit the title of this thread and re-title it 'ICE for my Linea' . The request is because the posts here are more to do with technical difficulties (more important and helpful) with ICEing the Linea and less to do with the budget or brand recommendations. Thanks
Old 9th May 2009, 11:02   #55
BHPian

A BIG THANK You to the mods.Appreciate it. Was not sure if posting the request here was the right method.
Old 9th May 2009, 11:38   #56
BHPian

What are the 3 way component speakers available in India with bill and warranty?
Old 10th May 2009, 12:23   #57
BHPian

Expert/Gurus opinions,advice,recommendations needed

Met an installer yesterday and auditioned some Boston speakers. Sounded good no doubt. Was speaking to him about a set up and this is an option he recommended

Front Components: Boston S60 or Hertz component ESK 165
Rear Coaxials: Boston S65 or Hertz Coaxial ESK 130
Amplifier: Soundstream LW 4.480 - 4 channel
Line output converter: Tsunami Line output converter
Speaker wiring kit
: Audision Connection
Miscellaneous:Spacer rings, 50 feet of wiring and grounding, remote wiring to switch off the amp

Quote - Rs.40,000/- (excluding a subwoofer and is for the setup with Boston speakers) add another 3000/- if I opted for Hertz

What are your views?

My Budget is a maximum 35k and am looking for Sound Quality and would prefer a tight sounding sub preferably a single 10"

Last edited by pranava999 : 10th May 2009 at 12:27.
Old 10th May 2009, 13:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

40k JUST for this????
I think you're getting a RAW deal here, my friend!
boston and soundstream are not very popular brands in india, and that could point at efforts at 'stock clearance' by the installer.
i suggest you rethink the entire setup. i read your pms, and from what I fathom, you need to go to Blueraven316 on this forum (evo).
You cant just buy the first set of speakers you listen to! please call mr satya or pm him and take an appointment.
DO not buy the stuff mentioned above without another opinion.
cheers!

PS: illusion audio speaker owners please meet pm pranava, he is looking for you'll!
Old 10th May 2009, 23:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Met an installer yesterday and auditioned some Boston speakers. Sounded good no doubt. Was speaking to him about a set up and this is an option he recommended

Front Components: Boston S60 or Hertz component ESK 165
Rear Coaxials: Boston S65 or Hertz Coaxial ESK 130
Amplifier: Soundstream LW 4.480 - 4 channel
Line output converter: Tsunami Line output converter
Speaker wiring kit: Audision Connection
Miscellaneous:Spacer rings, 50 feet of wiring and grounding, remote wiring to switch off the amp

Quote - Rs.40,000/- (excluding a subwoofer and is for the setup with Boston speakers) add another 3000/- if I opted for Hertz

What are your views?

My Budget is a maximum 35k and am looking for Sound Quality and would prefer a tight sounding sub preferably a single 10"

hey buddy do let me know when u r done with all this. I have done my installation and there is a problem with the amp which does not switches off itself with the HU. Do let me know how does your amp work.
And also let me know which Linea u using. I have a emotion pack one and it seems the problem is related to the Blue n me in it.

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (u = you, r = are, etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2009 at 02:16. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
40k JUST for this????
I think you're getting a RAW deal here, my friend!
boston and soundstream are not very popular brands in india, and that could point at efforts at 'stock clearance' by the installer.i suggest you rethink the entire setup. i read your pms, and from what I fathom, you need to go to Blueraven316 on this forum (evo).
DO not buy the stuff mentioned above without another opinion.
cheers!
PS: illusion audio speaker owners please meet pm pranava, he is looking for you'll!
thanks frank. don't worry am not buying this set up. Was just looking around to get an idea of whats available and a chance to audition Boston. Am in no hurry to take the plunge. Still shoring up the moolah! WIll also be talking to Satya sometime soon.

Last edited by pranava999 : 11th May 2009 at 10:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks