Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2024, 17:55   #1

Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees

Looks like we could use Rpi Zero for wireless Android auto.
There even is a GitHub project: https://github.com/nisargjhaveri/Wir...roidAutoDongle.

Considering a Pi zero 2 w plus case costs less than 2000₹, this is significantly cheaper than commercial adapters.

Will probably try this sometime over the weekend.
anandjm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 15:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjm View Post
There even is a GitHub project: https://github.com/nisargjhaveri/Wir...roidAutoDongle.

Considering a Pi zero 2 w plus case costs less than 2000₹, this is significantly cheaper than commercial adapters.

Will probably try this sometime over the weekend.
Many many thanks for the post.

Excellent find and I could not wait but to try out ASAP; as many of my friends always asks me for wireless android dongle but most of them do not want to tryout spending 5~6k or more for Carlinkit or other Chinese brands. So wanted to check as soon as possible after I saw your post yesterday evening; if this works. Hence just tried out today. It works flawlessly with Seltos 10.25" head unit and Samsung Galaxy (s21). Here is what your need and I did

1. Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W (RPi zero W also works)
2. 4gb SD card
3. USB to Micro USB data wire
4. A PC or Mac for obvious reasons (I used windows PC)
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-20240823_142327.jpg

Now
1. head to https://github.com/nisargjhaveri/Wir...roidAutoDongle
2. download prebuild image from this location https://github.com/nisargjhaveri/Wir...ongle/releases
- make sure you download appropriate image for your Rpi model, like for Pi Zero W download raspberrypi0w-sdcard.img.xz; for Pi zero 2 W download raspberrypizero2w-sdcard.img.xz
3. I used Raspberry PI Imager, open the app
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-piimager.jpg

4. Select Device, for me it was Raspberry PI Zero 2 W.
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-piimager1.jpg

5. Then in "Choose OS" select custom, browse the image you downloaded and open
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-piimager2.jpg
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-piimager3.jpg

6. Inset the SD card in your PC/Mac and then click on "Choose Storage" and select the SD card. Make sure you are selecting correct one if there are multiple connected to your laptop/PC.
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-piimager4.jpg

7. Now click Next, it would ask to apply some custom setting select "No" and then you would see an warning that data would be erased from the SD card, select "Yes"; it would start writing the image into the SD card. Once the software say it is done, remove the SD card.
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-piimager5.jpg

8. Insert the SD card in RPi SD card slot. Head to your car. Switch on. Connect the micro USB cable to RPi OTG USB (marked as USB, not PWR IN) and USB A side to your car's AA USB Port.
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-20240823_144128.jpg

Make sure in your mobile both Bluetooth and WIFI is enabled and "Wireless AA" is enabled in Android Auto settings.

9. First time it takes around a minute and you would see "AA Wireless Dongle" available in your Bluetooth devices list on your mobile. Pair with it.
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-screenshot_20240823_144414_one-ui-home.jpg

Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-20240823_134345.jpg

10. Rest of the things happens automatically, from now on communication is on WIFI and it takes around 30~35sec to connect from ignition to display AA.

Here is a video showing how it is working, from power on to boot up, to show up on screen and maps and YouTube music, it was lag free

As the developer of the project says, it is not tested for all mobile or many head units, there is a possibility it would not work for you. Also for my use one limitation I found is it does not auto shutdown like AA Wireless a dedicated dongle. So it would drain your battery if stays powered on. However with proper collaboration with developer I hope things would be sorted out and new features implemented. Also I did not try all functions nor I used it for long enough, so long term usability is yet to be seen. But a nice project for DIY fans.

------------------

Note from Mod

Cross-linking to another Wireless Android Auto DIY Thread.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th August 2024 at 22:02. Reason: Cross-linking to another related thread :)
dipdawiz is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 15:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees

This project looks promising. My Punch being a weekend driver, I was wondering about other use cases of Raspberry Pi Zero 2W while not being used in the car.

Additionally, how is the power consumption of this device - it would be more than a phone, right?
Old 24th August 2024, 17:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjm View Post

This is indeed a very interesting proposition. How does a non technical average Joe go about getting it done for his car? Would the local FNG be able to manage the installation?
Old 24th August 2024, 18:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
This is indeed a very interesting proposition. How does a non technical average Joe go about getting it done for his car? Would the local FNG be able to manage the installation?
I don't think letting FNGs handle this would be a good idea, especially I don't think most of them know what a Raspberry Pi is.

You can do this on your own itself, it's mostly a plug and play solution. You just have to flash the AA Image onto the RPi using a SD Card with a laptop, and boom, you're done. All you have to do now is to plug it into your car.

It's a fairly simple process!
nova.19_exe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 21:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

OP, why don't you make it and sell it for 2.5/3k? Many non technical users would gladly buy it.
Old 26th August 2024, 00:04   #7
BHPian

Just for reference here are the links to get Raspberry PI Zero W or 2 W and a case

Pi Zero W
PI Zero 2 W
PI Zero W or PI Zero 2 W case

I buy my DIY components from Robu.in for many years now and they are reliable and ships fast and secure.

Micro USB cable and micro SD card can be of any brand - a generic one would do. Project Image size to write for this is just ~32MB, so SD card size can be as small as 4GB or that is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
This project looks promising. My Punch being a weekend driver, I was wondering about other use cases of Raspberry Pi Zero 2W while not being used in the car.
There would be couple of use-cases; I use couple of PI Zero W, but not multipurpose - each used dedicatedly - 1. making my old printer WIFI enabled, 2. use for Ambient light for my TV using hyperion, 3. using MotionEye OS to stream PI cam footage as a security cam.

I also use a PI 4 as Little Backup Box while on the go and at home use as RetroPi arcade gamming console. Another one runs as pi-hole adv blocker and some other network apps along with Motion to save the streams for any motion detection.

There are many many more use cases.

Quote:
Additionally, how is the power consumption of this device - it would be more than a phone, right?
PI Zero W or PI Zero 2 W works perfectly with 5V 1A current, that is 5W max. Without any accessories or device attached, it would be lower than 5W only. So it is definitely lower than a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
FNG may not be able to manage setting up the SD card, which is the main thing about this DIY. So if one is confident enough to use a PC and download install applications and handle SD card, follow instruction - this DIY can be done. Once SD card is prepared, this PI Zero (2) W is just a dongle, put it in a cover or case. Just connect it with car's AA USB port and pair your mobile with it using Bluetooth. There is no tinkering with electronics or it's settings or software and there is no modification or change required in car - mechanically, electrically or in head unit settings (considering compatibility is not an issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
OP, why don't you make it and sell it for 2.5/3k? Many non technical users would gladly buy it.
Issue would be the compatibility, it may not work with some head unit and mobile combination. There could be issue of bootloop for some cases (rebooting in loop without connecting with head unit's AA successfully) etc. And in any of these cases getting the log file, debugging and/or collaborating with developer to fix the issue would take time. It is yet not a sellable product as it is.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 26th August 2024 at 00:08.
dipdawiz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 12:17   #8

For the non technical users who prefer to not do this themselves, carlinkit aoocci etc have products that do the same and they work mostly well. costs 2-3k.
Old 30th August 2024, 12:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
There would be couple of use-cases; I use couple of PI Zero W, but not multipurpose - each used dedicatedly - 1. making my old printer WIFI enabled, 2. use for Ambient light for my TV using hyperion, 3. using MotionEye OS to stream PI cam footage as a security cam.

PI Zero W or PI Zero 2 W works perfectly with 5V 1A current, that is 5W max. Without any accessories or device attached, it would be lower than 5W only. So it is definitely lower than a phone.
Thank you, Dipayan for the input. I took the plunge and ordered the following items on 26 August from different portals as not all the items were in stock at one place -
  1. RPI Zero 2W, RPI camera, heatsinks from Silverline Electronics
  2. RPI Zero case from Robocraze
  3. Card reader from Amazon

Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-20240829_165748.jpg
Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-20240829_212614.jpg

All the items were delivered yesterday and I first set out to build the camera project. It was a flop as even the board did not turn on. I did not realize it until the light on the board gleaned on plugging into my Punch's USB port. I did not know that an indicator light existed on the board. I later realized that the charger I used and my desktop's USB port was insufficient to power it on.

I then focused on getting the Android Auto right. Raspberry Pi Imager was easy to set up on my Ubuntu 24.04 and I got the image written onto the memory card. Quickly inserted the board onto the case and stepped on to the car to test things out. The Bluetooth kept disconnecting and the WiFi stayed connected. Started wondering if Punch's default Bluetooth connection was causing this. The default one would get added on using Wired Android Auto even if unpaired. The plug/unplug, using a different cable cycle ensued to no avail. I re-read the GitHub documentation and noticed this line -

Quote:
On Raspberry Pi Zero W and Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W: Use the second micro-USB port marked "USB" and not "PWR".
and that was my mistake. I went back to the car, used the USB port on the board this time and the phone successfully stayed connected.

Use Rpi Zero as a cheaper alternative for Wireless Android Auto | Cost under 2,000 rupees-20240829_211950.jpg
gischethans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 13:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Issue would be the compatibility, it may not work with some head unit and mobile combination. There could be issue of bootloop for some cases (rebooting in loop without connecting with head unit's AA successfully) etc. And in any of these cases getting the log file, debugging and/or collaborating with developer to fix the issue would take time. It is yet not a sellable product as it is.
I think I am stuck with this now. I ordered zero 2w from silverline. I flashed the corresponding file into a 4GB memory card and tried this with a Sony XAV AX100 HU. This supports wired carplay and AA. When I plugged it in for the first time, it connects to bluetooth first and then wifi. Once the zero 2w connects to wifi, it disconnects from bluetooth immediately. It pairs and disconnects from bluetooth instantaneously. Is there any solution for this? I was praying for it to work but IDK somehow all of my DIY projects are always failures

I wish it works on the stock Honda headunit. Need to try it out in my dad's Amaze and see.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 14:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I re-read the GitHub documentation and noticed this line -
Quote:
8. Insert the SD card in RPi SD card slot. Head to your car. Switch on. Connect the micro USB cable to RPi OTG USB (marked as USB, not PWR IN) and USB A side to your car's AA USB Port.
Attachment 2645342
I have mentioned about it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
When I plugged it in for the first time, it connects to bluetooth first and then wifi. Once the zero 2w connects to wifi, it disconnects from bluetooth immediately. It pairs and disconnects from bluetooth instantaneously. Is there any solution for this?
Similar issue as gischethans mentioned above. Have you checked the usb connection as mentioned -

Quote:
Connect the micro USB cable to RPi OTG USB (marked as USB, not PWR IN)
Please see the image Attachment 2645342
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 14:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have mentioned about it also.

Similar issue as gischethans mentioned above. Have you checked the usb connection as mentioned -

Please see the image Attachment 2645342
Yes I connected it to the correct port. I ordered 2 devices, flashed the image in both. Both are not working lol
I tried connecting it to power and it didnt work then also. I will try with a different cable later. If it doesnt work then too, then I guess money wasted experience gained!
Old 30th August 2024, 14:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Yes I connected it to the correct port. I ordered 2 devices, flashed the image in both. Both are not working lol
I tried connecting it to power and it didnt work then also. I will try with a different cable later. If it doesnt work then too, then I guess money wasted experience gained!
Your mobile bluetooth will use RPi dongle's bluetooth for initial connection, once it is connected with wi-fi, your mobile would show that is it connected with car's head unit and stay connected with your car's head unit only for rest of the time.

Here is a link where the issue is with Sony AA head unit (though different model); developer asked to check some steps, but the person did not pursue the issue, you may like to take it forward.

And of course try with a different data cable.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Your mobile bluetooth will use RPi dongle's bluetooth for initial connection, once it is connected with wi-fi, your mobile would show that is it connected with car's head unit and stay connected with your car's head unit only for rest of the time.

Here is a link where the issue is with Sony AA head unit (though different model); developer asked to check some steps, but the person did not pursue the issue, you may like to take it forward.

And of course try with a different data cable.

If it works that way then it should be fine. Like before my mobile connects to the dongle's wifi, it first connects to the dongle's bluetooth. Once it is connected to the dongle's wifi, the bluetooth disconnects and automatically shifts to the headunit's bluetooth. But android auto does not start, it shows looking for android auto on mobile.

Need to see if it is sony specific. Unrelated but my headunit hangs a lot once someone cuts a call.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks