Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2024, 17:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Study: 1/3 of new car buyers won't purchase a car without Apple CarPlay & Android Auto integration

According to a new study, one-third of new car buyers refuse to purchase a car which doesn't feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration.

The reports state that globally, 30% of EV buyers and 35% of internal combustion buyers view the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in cars as a deal-breaker in their purchase process. The survey was conducted high on the heels of General Motors' announcement last year, where they said their future EVs won't get Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Study: 1/3 of new car buyers won't purchase a car without Apple CarPlay & Android Auto integration-applecarplay.jpg

Kevin Laczkowski, Automotive & Assembly Practice Global Co-lead, McKinsey, stated, "If an OEM moves away from seamless smartphone integration, obviously that’s a risk."

The study showed that 17% of ICE-powered vehicle buyers and almost 30% of new EV buyers would be willing to pay for the smartphone integration tech if it doesn't come standard in a vehicle.

Also, 35% of respondents stated they would switch to using a brand's native system, while a majority 52% said they would only use their smartphones.

Looking at the demand, Aston Martin & Porsche will become the first brands to feature the next-generation Apple CarPlay. The new-gen iteration will allow it to expand over multiple screens and control certain vehicle functions as well.

Source: AutomotiveNews

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 24th June 2024 at 17:12.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 18:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Study: 1/3 of new car buyers won't purchase a car without Apple CarPlay & Android Auto integrati

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
According to a new study, one-third of new car buyers refuse to purchase a car which doesn't feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration.
Are there any companies studying Indian market and its behavior?

I'm pretty sure with the cellphone and data usage, the above numbers might be more for our market!

Study: 1/3 of new car buyers won't purchase a car without Apple CarPlay & Android Auto integration-carplayandandroidautologose1684275885358.png

Last edited by The Pianist : 24th June 2024 at 18:08.
Old 24th June 2024, 18:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Study: 1/3 of new car buyers won't purchase a car without Apple CarPlay & Android Auto integrati

I'm surprised the number is not higher!

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto have brought about massive convenience, be it with the integrated Maps, or the way music can be controlled. As an owner of two cars that don't have it, and one that does, I see the value and find it extremely helpful.

Having this feature also eliminates the hassle of mounting your phone at odd places on the windshield, dashboard or even over the a/c vents. Factory-fitted/OEM solutions are generally the best integrated, and this is no less.

That said, I'm wary of just how intrusive and hence, distracting, this will eventually become.

Eg. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...-screen-2.html (Microsoft Teams coming to Android Auto; Attend meetings via car's infotainment screen)
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 20:07   #4
BHPian

Does it mean, rest of 65-70% customers doesn't really care much about AA and Carplay? Glad to know I'm part of the majority. While these are useful features, given the size of current smartphone screens, it's manageable without AA and Carplay.

I've been telling for a while, these car companies are investing heavily on something that is hardly useful. We do not need new OS, we do not need new cloud for cars, we do not need connectivity features, we do not need payment gateways and eCommerce apps in a car. We need reliability, we need safety features, we need power(not a single V6 is made in India), we need better OEM tyres, we need better NVH, we need better AC(yeah Skoda, I'm talking about you!), we need better build quality(I'm looking at you Hyundai/Kia/Maruti) and so on.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 20:22   #5
BHPian

In my opinion, Wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto should be offered as standard if the car comes equipped with touchscreen infotainment unit.
While driving I don't fiddle much with the touchscreen. My major usecase is using gMaps via Android Auto.
vzvish91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 21:10   #6
BHPian

I would not as well, considering my primary device is an iPhone 13. Androids can be integrated easily into aftermarket units but not Apple devices. I would use it for Maps and quick calls. That and ventilated seats are too much of a convenience to ignore like the earlier me would.
Old 24th June 2024, 23:17   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I wouldn’t buy any car without CarPlay/android auto:

* Navigation IMO is absolutely necessary, and just makes travelling easier. This can be somehow circumvented by using your phone with those phone mounts.

* Another important aspect is music playback. Bluetooth is just 2 channel audio, that too heavily compressed and hence a massive disservice to the fancy 5.1 or above audio systems in cars.

There are workarounds, but it takes more work and are a downgrade in experience.

The only car on which I’ve not missed android auto/carplay is the Tesla. They have Google maps integrated into their system and also support music streaming.
Old 25th June 2024, 03:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgamer View Post
The only car on which I’ve not missed android auto/carplay is the Tesla. They have Google maps integrated into their system and also support music streaming.
And charges $9.99/month for some basic features such as traffic information and traffic aware routing which otherwise would have been free if they had android auto/CarPlay enabled. And yet, people seem to be okay with it.
Pontiac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 07:11   #9
BHPian

I'll be part of the 35% crowd. It is high time Apple CarPlay & Android Auto be standard even in the base variant. It is super convenient to see the map, play music or take a call.
Rest of the features are only good to have like reading or sending messages etc.

The dependancy on the map is also on the rise now a days. Unless you drive to a nearby know location, you will refer to the map at least once. If nothing you would check your ETA or want to know the traffic situation.
Old 25th June 2024, 13:39   #10
RMN
BHPian

Same here. Lack of AA is a deal breaker for me. I find it really convenient to stream music and follow maps without even having to take the phone out of the pocket.
Old 25th June 2024, 13:55   #11
BHPian

Not one-third, but I think two-thirds of people will refuse a car that doesn't have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration.

Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have become the norm these days, which everyone expects their new car to have. They are super useful for maps or music. Otherwise, you would have to mount your phone and use it while driving for maps.
Old 25th June 2024, 14:18   #12
BHPian

My experience is that the Audio quality is better with Apple carplay (both in Apple music and youtube music) when compared to Bluetooth connectivity.
Also maps are extremely convinient.

I have installed Sensairy bluetooth TPMS , the Apple carplay has the ability to dislay the tyre pressure when needed.

Hence, I am not going to buy any car without Carpay/Auto
Old 25th June 2024, 15:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

There must be a better solution than AA /CP, for example they simply use the phone to detect the user and then stream their personalized interface+ data from the internet through vehicle's own internet connection rather than relying on the phone to provide data.

Ofcourse the intent of Google /Apple would be to use the AA/CP data for various other things and for them it's beneficial that Phone remains the brain of this operation.

And for that reason alone - you won't see any change in this situation, the phone companies will have an upper hand as they are investing a lot of money on that ecosystem.

It is just a matter of time that Google maps with navigation for cars will become a subscription service.
Old 26th June 2024, 15:05   #14
jpm
BHPian

Forget about non AA integrated cars, even wired AA is a hassle for me after enjoying wireless AA/Carplay.

The third party solutions such as carlinkit don't work reliably all the time so much so that these days, I tend to leave my Jeep home when the trip involves maps.
Old 26th June 2024, 16:27   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

We can't deny how convenient it is to drive when using features like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This is the primary reason why smart phone users always demand such technologies in their infotainment systems. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connect to our car's main infotainment units with the smart phone interface, bringing them together and allowing us to use the main unit as easily as our smart phone.

Navigation is another significant factor contributing to these technologies' convenience. When the phone is linked, looking at maps is quite simple on the infotainment head unit's large screen. Aside from the hands-free use of a mobile phone and the use of voice commands, driving has become extremely safe with the use of these technologies.

This is the reason why buyers of new cars are actively looking for this new technology in their cars.
inner_roadster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks