Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What orientation do you prefer for your touchscreen head-unit?
Horizontal (Landscape) 120 68.18%
Vertical (Portrait) 20 11.36%
It doesn't matter 36 20.45%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2024, 10:29   #1
Team-BHP Support

Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation

Touchscreen infotainment head-units have been a norm in cars for a while now. Traditionally, these used to be mounted with a horizontal (landscape) orientation along the dashboard or just above it.

Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2023_tata_safari_facelift_interior_01.jpg

Most horizontally oriented touchscreens are integrated into the dashboard:
Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2021landroverdefender02.jpg

In some cars like the BMW X1 and Kia Seltos, the horizontally oriented touchscreen looks like an extension of the instrument cluster:
Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2023_kia_seltos_facelift_01.jpg

Some manufacturers have also experimented with a vertical (portrait) orientation. We have been seeing this for quite a while in Volvos and MGs. Now, other manufacturers such as Mercedes have started adopting this vertical orientation as well.

Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2018volvoxc4001-1.jpg

Some manufacturers have integrated the touchscreens into the dashboard...
Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-mghector86.jpg

...while others have adopted a tablet-like approach:
Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2022mercedescclass01.jpg

Some of us, who are used to the horizontal orientation of touchscreens in cars find the vertical setup loathsome. However, many prefer vertical orientation.

BYD has attempted to keep both parties happy. In the Atto3 and Seal, they provide a touchscreen head-unit that can be rotated at the touch of a button:
Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2022bydatto3ev19.jpg

Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-2022bydatto3ev20.jpg

So, which way would you want a touchscreen head-unit to be oriented and why?
Aditya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the real estate is available on the dashboard, then I'd prefer the Portrait / Vertical mode because that is what 99% of us use on our smartphones too. Just feels so much better to use.

Of course, now you have OEMs like BYD who allow you to flip it on the go:
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:54   #4
BHPian

Touchscreen Head-units | Horizontal Vs Vertical Orientation-screenshot-20240314-105741.png

- Horizontal touchscreens are definitely my preference . I find vertical ones out of place and distracting, and they somehow make the interior look cheaper. Horizontal screens offer a clearer view and are positioned higher up, so they're less distracting while driving.

Last edited by MotorDev : 14th March 2024 at 10:58.
MotorDev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:07   #5
BHPian

I always liked these touchscreen head units in the landscape orientation (just like how I usually use my tablets), however, I don't find anything wrong with the Portrait orientation either, but the landscape orientation helps keep the touchscreen within eye level and you don't have to look down at the bottom (which you might have to) in case some functions in the portrait orientation screens are located there.
bijims is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post

- Horizontal touchscreens are definitely my preference . I find vertical ones out of place and distracting, and they somehow make the interior look cheaper. Horizontal screens offer a clearer view and are positioned higher up, so they're less distracting while driving.
More than distraction, I think it is the fact the we are so used to having touchscreens in the landscape orientation. When vertical screens first came out, I found them novel and interesting, but soon my interest in them died down. As you said, they look cheap, and dare I say, Chinese. I think BYD does this fantastically; they give you the choice. These are purely personal opinions guys; please don't bash me if you own a car with vertical screens
CentreOfGravity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Given a choice Portrait / Vertical, so much easier to look at maps and have multiple windows. Yes they become a bigger finger print irritant but compared to the advantage of more screen area, I can live with that.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 13:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Personally I feel the Horizontal Head units are better for visibility as it allows a natural reading stance for more information to be read or viewed. In addition I find the maps better viewed in horizontal than vertical. Plus the finger prints are lesser in a horizontal HU than vertical.

So voted for Horizontal.
Old 14th March 2024, 13:27   #9
BHPian

Horizontal for me gels with the dashboard flow much better than vertical.

The usage of phone in portrait mode has more to do with the convenience of holding which is not needed for a car infotainment screen which is fixed. The left right swipes are much easier to handle due to relatively larger breadth of screen in a horizontal layout.
Old 14th March 2024, 13:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Don't really care about orientation as long as its within reach easily and otherwise ergonomic, quick responsive, good resolution etc. It should aesthetically also gel well with the surrounding design and layout - which can mean different orientation may work better in different cars.

What matters more to me is the balance between touch screen and physical buttons with the right amount of critical controls remaining via knobs / buttons / similar.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th March 2024 at 13:48.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 15:13   #11
BHPian

Horizontal anyday, let it be touch or display screens. Have used phones that way only for reading or typing. They are very distracting especially when they bulge out from the dash or to see. One of the reasons I went for the 390 rather than a RR310 was the display was vertical.
Old 14th March 2024, 15:55   #12
BHPian

Initially, I was considering voting for 'doesn't matter,' but upon reflection, I see potential in the ability to watch content on the HU say while charging the car or taking a break. For this purpose, I'd prefer a horizontal layout. Additionally, I've become quite accustomed to this layout, so switching would likely cause some inconvenience.
Old 15th March 2024, 09:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

The horizontal setup on most cars now are just to be part of the band wagon types. Although they look good, taking 7OO's setup as an example, it's a screen that extends making it an impression as if it's got a lot of areas on the screen to play with. However, it's a smart gimmick by OEM to make it seem so. In reality, they're 2 different screens. Instead, I'd prefer having 2 independent screens anyday on dashboard.
Old 15th March 2024, 09:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Do anyone of us have vertically oriented TVs at home?

Same. Prefer horizontally oriented screens anyday. Our eyes are side by side, not stacked on top of the other. The reason why smartphone interface are designed so is for ease of one hand operation.

IMO, companies that go for vertically oriented screens are doing for two reasons.

1. They want to integrate most controls and do away with any physical buttons/knobs/dials. Vertical allows them to have something like climate control at a fixed position in the bottom, while others are on top.

2. Their core values are now for designing a computer on wheels instead of a mobile vehicle that is to be piloted by human beings.

I am kinda okayish with the vertical ones in Subarus and Volvos that still retain some physical controls, but otherwise vertical screens put me off IRL so much that in my eyes, the desirability of Mercedes Benz has gone real down for their present generation. Those fingerprint marks on the screens on a bright sunlight day. Ugh...

Last edited by DicKy : 15th March 2024 at 10:06.
DicKy is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:49   #15
BHPian

I prefer vertical because 99% of my usage is for navigation and that is where I find vertical to be more useful
Mohitkumaar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks