Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2023, 03:44   #1
AYP
Senior - BHPian

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT

Hello everyone,

The purpose of this thread is to take you through my journey of ICEing my Figo and to also serve as a guide for the Figo and the Aspire owners who want to upgrade their infotainment system(non-Android).

Prologue-

The itch to upgrade the ICE started back in 2019 with all the new cars coming with huge screens with support for Android Auto and Carplay. Even the Aspire and the Freestyle had got the updated Sync3 systems. I remember coming across various Android systems during this time but I was concerned with their long-term performance and cheap-looking UI.

And then COVID hit us all and the thoughts of an upgrade quickly left my mind. Of course, the extended warranty also made me wary of such an upgrade.

June 2023-

I came across these 'Woodman' Android systems and started to search more about them and Android stereos in general. While the cheap looking UI was still an issue, there were a lot of positives. However, the deeper I went into this, the more I realised why Androids weren't the way forward for me. My reasons for not going for Android are as follows-

1. Cheap-looking UI. No offense to the Android users but I really hate the generic Android HU UIs. I tried to come up with a different word to substitute the word 'cheap' but none could quite deliver the message more appropriately.

2. Long-term reliability and performance- Most of us are Android users and even with 6, 8, or 12 gigs of RAM, more often than not, in a matter of 2-3 years, our phones do slow down and after 5-6 years, they start to become unusable. Most of these Androids have 2 gigs or 4 gigs of RAM. There are 8GB options available as well but they cost more than 30-35k and even then, with 8 gigs of RAM, the long-term reliability is still a question mark.

3. Updating the apps- Since an Android HU is nothing but an Android tablet adapted to function like an HU, it needs to be updated just like an Android phone. In contrast, the HUs from Sony and Pioneer rarely require updates and when it comes to AA and CP, it is your phone that does all the heavy lifting, and all the apps are updated as long as you update these apps on your phone.

4. Size of the HU- Unless you go for an ancient Android HU, you only get 9'' and 10'' Android HUs. 9'' and 10'' have become the standard size for Android HUs now but the centre console of the Figo is clearly not suited for these sizes. This is how a 9-inch Android HU looks in the Figo-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-hqdefault.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-maxresdefault-1.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see, a 9-inch HU looks quite out of place in a Figo or an Aspire. Also, the hazard button switch does not fit properly in the frame.

July 2023-

I got the RCD 360 Pro for my Father's Jetta which comes with wired AA and CP.

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-img20230726wa0014.jpg

This made the itch to upgrade even harder not to scratch.

August 2023-

The itch to upgrade was ever-growing, but a few things kept holding me back.

1. Extended warranty-

My car was and is still under extended warranty. Ford has in fact introduced EW for the 8th year as well. So I can, if I want, have EW until August 2025. Currently, my car is covered until August 2024. And while coupler-to-coupler fitting does not generally void warranty, but you never know. There is always a chance.

2. Stage 2 Remap-

At a lesser cost than an ICE upgrade, I could get my car remapped to Stage 2 from the current Stage 1. However, since my car is under EW, I was hesitant to take this route. And thus, I was caught in this never-ending cycle.

Itch to upgrade ICE- Warranty concerns- Thinking of spending the money for a stage 2 remap- Warranty concerns- Back to square one.

To be very honest, the trigger for me was the introduction of the 8th year EW by Ford. Yes, instead of being a deterrent, it acted as a catalyst since I was quite sure that I didn't wanna wait that long for an upgrade. And thus, started a rather painful journey of ICEing my Figo.

The first step towards getting an ICE was to get a frame suitable for a 7 inch HU. I had posted about it here on my ownership thread-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5604700 (Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd)

BHPian SaiSW responded and suggested me to approach Wavehertz, Delhi for the frame. I did message him for the same but was put off by the high quoted price of 4k. They only had 1 frame in stock. So at the end of August, I ordered, a 7 inch Frame suitable for my car from these links on Amazon-

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the final product which came was actually a 9-inch frame. This is what it looked like-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230829_091031.jpg

I reached out again to Wavehertz and by the time I was ready to order, the frame had gone out of stock. Throughout the next couple of days, I contacted at least 15 car accessory vendors throughout India for a 7-inch frame without any success. I was left perplexed and frustrated that my ICE upgrade may not proceed ahead due to the lack of availability of the 7-inch frame. These are the perks of owning a non-popular car from a non-popular brand that has shut shop in India. Call it my luck or whatever, but an accessory shop very close to me in Vashi(Navi Mumbai) had 1 frame in stock and offered the same for 150 bucks. However, this frame was in very poor condition. Pretty sure that this was at least 3-4 years old. This is how it looked-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230830_203507.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230830_203515.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230830_203528.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230830_203536.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230830_203545.jpg

And with this, I thought that my troubles were over. Oh, how wrong was I?

September 2023-

I was contemplating the HU to go for and had almost finalised the Sony XAV-AX6000. It comes with wireless AA and CP and wired AA. It also comes with HDMI and a single camera input. But then, I saw this post by BHPian Yesterdaysnews-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...a-etios-5.html (ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios)

The above post made me contemplate between the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT and the Sony XAV-AX6000 but the price at which the Pioneer was being offered made me go for it. I got in touch with BHPian Yesterdaysnews and we agreed on a price of 26k for the HU. I did though also procure an amp and sub from him and paid 31k in total. Meanwhile, I had got the frame Hydro dipped at H20 Graphix in Dadar. Paid 1800 for the same. This is how the frame looked after-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230913_134555.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230913_134604.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230913_134616.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230913_134625.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230913_214005.jpg

I had also ordered the required accessories to go with the HU, namely, the micro HDMI to HDMI male cable, the USB C cable(male to female, USB OTG cable, the HDMI male to USB C adapter, the aux cable and the front and rear cameras. I have provided the links to all the accessories that I ordered in a later post.

After getting the HU and the frame, I was all excited and went to get the HU fitted on 16th September(Saturday) at Paras Car Decor in Vashi. As soon as the existing HU was opened up, I was told that wire cutting would be required to enable the steering controls. This was not acceptable to me. I asked the fitter as to how we can avoid wire cutting and I was suggested to order a suitable coupler from Delhi. Post this, I was running from pillar to post and going to various other installers and also contacting some others over Whatsapp to get a solution to this. Out of desperation, I went to an installer who wasn't very good and he ended up damaging my HDMI cable. Lesson learned- never make a major decision when you are either very happy or very desperate.

I got in touch with BHPian VWALLstar and he suggested me to get in touch with a different installer in Vashi.

After going to this installer, I got to know that there is a separate wiring harness that is required to get steering controls working in a Pioneer. This is what that harness looks like-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-9fdd697ed6613da5ad9e9024df80e4aa.jpg

This was missing from the package which was sent to me. The owner at Paras Car Decor had 1 such harness with him but even he wasn't sure if this was the right one. Anyway, I went back to him straight away and got the harness for 500 bucks as a failsafe.

I contacted Wavehertz again and ordered the coupler along with the radio coupler. However, I was told even by Wavehertz that wire cutting shall be needed for Pioneer. Post this, I waited for the harness to arrive patiently.

October 2023-

As they say, An idle mind is the devil's workshop , during my wait for the harness to arrive, I started to think of my upgrade more holistically. I was concerned about the wiring and its positioning. Putting them in the glovebox was the safe route. However, 2 factors made me reconsider this-

1. Putting wires in the glovebox is as good as not having wires in the first place. They never get used.

2. As per the feedback from BHPian SaiSW, the wires in the glovebox get squished when the glovebox is closed.

These factors made me think of an alternate positioning for the wires and this trim in my car caught my attention-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230925_003547.jpg

I was initially thinking of ordering this trim which used to come with the Titanium+ trim-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-screenshot_20230920150148_whatsapp.jpg

But since I also needed to have an outlet for the HDMI cable, I quickly realised that this shall not work. Finally, I decided to make use of the current trim itself. I ordered this rectangular grommet-

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The idea was to make a cut in the existing trim and fit the grommet inside that opening from which the wires shall be routed out-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230925_003514.jpg

However, this turned out to be a size too big for the trim. I then ordered this circular grommet(19mm open grommet is out of stock)-

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

I got the trim laser cut and fit this grommet inside the hole(the hole was 21mm in Diameter)-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230929_131646.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230929_131855.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230929_131900.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20230929_131904.jpg

What I also discovered during this time was that the USB C cable that I had ordered had gone bad, the male part of the cable had gone loose and wouldn't stay put inside any female slot. So I ordered another cable of UGREEN make.

In the meantime, the coupler from Wavehertz had also arrived-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-screenshot_20230920235756_whatsapp.jpg

Finally, armed with all the accessories, I headed to the accessory shop to get the fitment done.
AYP is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 04:09   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT

Installation-

Some random pics during installation-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_122059.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_122121.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_122123.jpg

I was expecting the wires to be cut to enable the steering controls but the installer Javed was willing to give the steering control wiring a try first before taking that step. It took almost an hour before he could figure out how to connect the steering control wiring to the Wavehertz harness which then connects to the car harness. This is the steering control wiring harness that has been hooked up to the Wavehertz harness-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_133530.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_133536.jpg

The steering harness gets connected to the W/R port in the HU-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_142646.jpg

These elements within the highlighted area had to be cut for the frame to fit-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_195910.jpg

Some pics post installation-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231004_002712.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231113_192553.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231113_192606.jpg

The quality and the fit of the frame leaves a lot to be desired-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_182935.jpg

This is how the wires have been routed-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_182957.jpg

I have installed a splitter like this to pertain to all my power demands-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231101_023640.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231101_100538.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231101_100701.jpg

Mic placement-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_183534.jpg

The system supports dual cameras. Front camera placement-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_183602.jpg

Rear camera placement-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_004257.jpg

We can switch between the camera views by going into the camera menu-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231003_183505.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231113_192530.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231113_192537.jpg

I have routed the wiring such that the cameras turn on when I give ignition and I can have the camera feed on at all times. It would have been better though if there was an option to have the feed from the 2nd camera come up for a few seconds after the reverse gear is disengaged. Currently, the reverse camera comes up when engaging the reverse gear but then the system goes back to the main menu once the reverse gear is disengaged. To negate this to an extent, I use the camera widget on the main menu so that I can have the front camera feed in the minimised view-

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231113_192606.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	2531538

While I was thinking that all my troubles were over, that wasn't meant to be. The USB cable wasn't working-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231005_195448.jpg

I got to know that Pioneer HUs come with their own USB male to female cable and that is required to enable AA and CP but even this cable wasn't available with the HU. BHPian Yesterdaysnews had already conveyed the same to me prior to shipping. Lacking options, I got the cable replaced and used the original Samsung cable and the Android Auto was working fine. I am using an adapter like this to hook up a USB device to the system-

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also tried the Carlinkit AI BOX and it worked with my unit. The Android UI-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231006_140039.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231007_182314.jpg

I did return the AI Box though since HDMI is good enough for me as it enables me to project my phone to the HU. All the OTT apps work fine via HDMI except for Amazon Prime which shows a blue screen. I also enabled VIM(video in motion for the HU by following the steps in this video-

AYP is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 04:15   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT

Here are a few thoughts to sum up my journey-

1. The Pioneer HU is quite nice and I am quite happy with it. I really like the widget option which is available on HU main screen and the fact that it has support for a secondary camera and wired CarPlay over the Sony XAV-AX6000. While I am not an IOS user, the wired CarPlay option enabled me to use the AI Box since it required Wired Carplay in order to work.

2. The HDMI option is a boon for me since my drives often involve long idling periods.

3. I did not hook up the amp and the sub. I do plan to get these done in the future along with a speaker upgrade. However, the HU itself has improved the sound quality by a fair margin.

4. As I have mentioned earlier, the integration/usability of the 2nd camera could have been better.

5. To the Figo and the Aspire owners who are looking for an upgrade to a non-Android system, beg, borrow or steal but get that 7 inch frame. Since 9 and 10 inch units are the norm now, it is gonna get even more difficult to source the frame. Pretty sure that any 7 inch frame(if available) is atleast 3-4 years old. Of course, the exit of Ford and the low sales of the Figo and the Aspire haven't helped. You can use a reducer in that 9 inch frame to install a 7 inch unit but then, it covers the AC vents partially and does not look good. The housing for the hazard button is also not proper and the hazard button sticks out like a sore thumb.

6. The 9 inch frame is quite slim in its design and I am not sure if a normal 2 din system of Sony or Pioneer make can fit in that frame. The Android stereos are much slimmer in comparison.

7. Getting the steering controls to work is easy peasy with an Android stereo but not so easy with a Sony or a Pioneer. It took the fitter almost an hour to map the steering controls. It was by a stroke of luck that I found the steering control harness wire. A casual online search made it very clear that it is not easily available in India. Would I have gone for the HU if I knew that the steering harness wire wasn't being made available with it? Most probably not. But as they say, all's well that ends well.

8. The MRP of the HU is 58k though it is available for around 40-45k in the local accessory shops. I got mine used for 26k.

9. Some specs of the HU-

i. 17.3 cm (6.8) Capacitive Type WVGA Display Screen.

ii. Wired and Wireless AA/CP.

iii. In-built web browser(not usable for all practical purpose)

iv. In-built Alexa support(needs Wi-Fi access to work)

v. Has in-built parking assistance guidelines.

vi. Dual Camera Inputs

vii. Can play Full HD Video from USB Devices(though in my experience, most of the Full HD videos don't work. 720p videos do work though).

viii. Micro HDMI input.

ix. 4V pre-amp output(3 channel)

x. It has a short 2 din chassis.

xi. It comes with an A/V in(the 2nd camera is enabled via this A/V in). The A/V in in this stereo can also be used to have a 360 camera setup if one desires. Here is one video of such a system being installed in a Pioneer-

10. Pros of the HU-

i. The UI looks quite nice.

ii. Widget support which makes the UI even better and makes the secondary camera useful.

iii. Improved sound output over the stock unit.

iv. HDMI support.

v. Wired and wireless AA and CP- During long journeys, I end up using wired AA as it is more stable and reliable. This brings me to a question I have in mind. Almost all modern cars now come equipped with wireless AA and CP. A few examples that come to my mind are the VW Virtus, Skoda Slavia, XUV 7OO, Harrier, the lower variants of Hyundai and Kia etc. Do these models also support wired AA and CP?

vi. Comes equipped with TA(Time alignment) feature. It does make a difference for sure.

vii. A/V in.

viii. Steering mounted controls-

Now you may be wondering why I am writing this as a pro for this system especially since it took almost an hour to get the steering controls working and almost all stereos do support steering-mounted controls. Well, the Figo, the Aspire, the Freestyle, the 2nd gen Fiesta, and the pre-facelift Ecosport have multifunction buttons. The same buttons are used to change tracks and also to receive or reject a call. In my conversation with BHPian SaiSW, I came to realise that aftermaket stereos don't support multifuction steering buttons. Atleast this is the case with Sony XAV-AX5600 and the Pioneer DMH-A5450BT. This was definitely not ideal but I decided to make peace with it. I have to say that the call accept/reject icons on the HU are quite big and it's not much of an issue to accept or reject calls via them.

One fine morning though on my journey to my workplace, out of habit, I used the steering button to accept the call and it worked. I didn't realise what had happened until it hit me after a few minutes. The multifunction buttons work even though there is no option to map 1 button to multiple functions. I also gained another feature on the steering controls. Long pressing on the 'M' button(mode change button) turns off the audio(source off). Long pressing it again resumes the music. I use it as a de facto mute button.

Cons-

i. Wireless AA-

While wireless AA is a good feature to have, it isn't the most stable. 1 out of every 2 times, I notice at least 1 disconnection every 30 minutes or so. I tried to alter a few settings on my phone after going through some Reddit threads but it didn't really help. I do use a 4 year old Note 10+ so my phone is definitely not the fastest one around. It is indeed possible that this has more to do with my phone than the HU.

However, this other problem definitely doesn't have anything to do with my phone(Samsung maybe?). My phone connects to the HU via wireless AA automatically even if I turn off Wi-Fi auto connect in the settings. There are many times when I only want to play music via Bluetooth but this makes it very difficult. To get over this, I have enabled a routine on my phone that disables Wi-Fi when my phone connects to the HU. However, this means that I have to manually turn on Wi-Fi every time I want to use Wireless AA. Even selecting the AA icon on the HU doesn't enable Wi-Fi because of my routine. This does take away a bit from the wireless experience.

ii. AVassist app-

Via the help of this app, one can change the widgets on the HU, import images(to be used as wallpaper), update the HU etc. However, after trying multiple times to update the HU firmware, I had to give up and had to take the USB route for the update. This is a known issue and is quite frustrating to say the least. Also, the HU only supports USB 2.0, so I had to buy a separate USB stick for use with the system.

iii. 2nd camera usability-

Pioneer could have tweaked their UI to make the 2nd camera feed more usable.

11. Some other random points-

i. The HU charges my phone by 35%-40% every hour. Not fast by any means, but not too slow either.

ii. When I first connected to the HU via wireless AA and was using the maps, I started to get this message- 'Irregular speed pulse detected' at regular intervals. Representative image-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-post1219150562769001453055762.jpg

I did some research on this and apparently, a pink wire of the HU needs to be connected to the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) wire. I saw a few posts and videos on this-

https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comme...error_message/

https://www.elementownersclub.com/th...20that%20error.

The error never came up after that first drive. When I go into the settings and check the connectivity settings, I get an error message stating Speed Pulse is Not OK. This means that the GPS in my car is not as accurate as it can be.

If someone knows more about this, especially with regards to the Figo or the Aspire, do let me know.

12. My total expenditure-

i. HU- 26K (from BHPian Yesterdaysnews)

ii. Frame- 1.5k (at Laxman Car Decor, Sector-17 Vashi)

iii. Frame Hydrodipping- 1.8k (at H20 Graphix Dadar)

iv. HDMI Micro to HDMI Male cable(BlueRigger)- 569+569(one of my cables was damaged by a different installer)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

v. HDMI male to USB C adapter(Belkin)- 2600

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

vi. USB C Male to USB A Female(Belkin)- 950

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vii. USB C male to female cable(Hoss and UGREEN)- 1000+1200(both didn't work)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

viii. USB C male to male cable(Samsung)- 500

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ix. Blaupunkt front and rear cameras(3.1 and 2.4)- 2000+ 2000

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

x. Aux cable- 269

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

xi. Square and circular rubber grommets- 600

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

xii. USB C female to female adapter- 479

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

xiii. Cable organiser- 200

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

xiii. Sandisk USB 2.0 Pen Drive 32gb- 300

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

xiv. 12V Splitter 150w- 1100(ordered from Alibaba)

xv. Installation charge- 3000 (at Paras Car Decor, Sector 17 Vashi)

Thus, other than the HU, I spent almost 20k. The total expenditure was almost 46k. Could I have saved some money? Yes, I could have. However, I wanted to experience each and every feature of the HU and thus the related expenditure. The only thing that really pinches me are the 2 USB cables which didn't work and to some extent, the damaged HDMI cable. I could have saved 3k here for sure.
AYP is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 04:43   #4
AYP
Senior - BHPian

A collection of pics of the HU and the centre console-

The capacitive button on the top right brings up the main home screen. The one below that activates either Alexa(if an internet connection is made available to the HU via Wi-Fi) or Google Assistant (if AA is connected). The buttons at the bottom are for volume.

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010504.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010521.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010533.jpg

Bluetooth playback screen-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010346.jpg

However, I prefer to stay on the home screen. This way, I can see the camera view. The Bluetooth playback is shown on the big widget. I also prefer the home screen UI to the Vanilla Bluetooth UI-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010415.jpg

The same goes for AA unless I am using maps-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010754.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_010821.jpg

This is how I use HDMI-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_014457.jpg

We can have multiple widgets on the home screen-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015823.jpg

A few more pics-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015852.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015903.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015944.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015952.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020016.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020023.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020036.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020047.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020127.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020139.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020155.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020219.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020227.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_020237.jpg
AYP is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 04:51   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

A few other pics-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015324.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015333.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015348.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015406.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015413.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015422.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015455.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015509.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015518.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015530.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015536.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015547.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015558.jpg

When you swipe left on the home screen, you get the notification page. When you swipe up, you get suggested radio stations. When you swipe down, you get your favourite radio stations. When you swipe to the right, you get your main menu.

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015628.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015636.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231115_015644.jpg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-20231113_192553.jpg

And that my friends, brings me to the end of my frustrating yet fruitful journey of upgrading my car's HU. Thanks to BHPians SaiSW, Yesterdaysnews, and VWALLstar for helping me out in this journey.
AYP is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 04:54   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Epilogue-

I research a lot before buying anything. And during my search for Android HUs, I came across these HUs which are available globally but not so much in India because of our 'unique' situation.

Joying-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-joying_qualcomm_snapdragon_ultrathin_15.1_screen_with_high_resolution_19201080_1_.jpg

Dasaita-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-71yqhlislzl._ac_sy355_.jpg

Atoto-

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-01.jpg

These products with their nice looking UIs and high res screens would definitely entice me to go for them. Being in India though, getting support from the manufacturer will be an issue. However, if they were to be easily available in India, would I have gone for them over a Sony or a Pioneer? Most probably not.
AYP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 07:32   #7
BHPian

Did you explored something like this?
I guess it's a fine compromise for Figo and aspire owners.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 10:20   #8
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Did you explored something like this? https://Youtu.be/Gm9QrJvJfyI?si=YwiQclc2ySVn1CAu
I guess it's a fine compromise for Figo and aspire owners.
Nope. I did not consider this at all. While this has many advantages, the compromises are just too many. It does not gel well with the interiors, stands out quite a lot, you need to use either aux or radio to play sounds via Bluetooth etc.

IMO, this make sense for vintage car owners or for those who absolutely who do not want to change their original ICE. In fact if given a choice between this and a 9 inch Android HU, I'd rather get an Android. However, it's nice to see such unique products and there are indeed many who will find value in them.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 11:30   #9
VMG
BHPian

Re: My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT

I have done both floating HU with SYNC3 (supports both ACP & AA ), reverse camera and cruise control for 2016 Ecosport. All Works fine.
Suggest you contact Kumar ( ex Ford employee )
Very techie person. He installed all the above for me.
His contact no 99400 60908
VMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 11:50   #10
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I have done both floating HU with SYNC3 (supports both ACP & AA ), reverse camera and cruise control for 2016 Ecosport. All Works fine.
Suggest you contact Kumar ( ex Ford employee )
Very techie person. He installed all the above for me.
His contact no 99400 60908
Yup, I do know about Idumbkumar. However, the tentative cost of these upgrades is around 65k(excluding cruise control). Add to that, an expenditure of around 20-25k to go to Chennai or at least 15k if he agrees to meet somewhere in the middle, made me drop the plan.

How much did the upgrade cost you?
Old 15th November 2023, 12:49   #11
VMG
BHPian

Yes, I know it is slightly expensive but it worth it from my view.
63+9.5 = 72.5
Old 15th November 2023, 12:55   #12
VMG
BHPian

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-img_8995.jpeg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-img_8994.jpeg

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-img_8993.jpeg
VMG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 15:04   #13
BHPian

A rollercoaster jouney AYP no doubt ! I'm glad at that it all ended well.

With regarding the Steering audio controls, its fairly easy. The adapter which you purchased in reality is just a mono aux cord split into two. A mono Aux cord has just 3 wires. Left,Right and Ground. Left and Right wire act as Key 1, Key 2. Each button has different unique resistance values.

The stock Head-Unit is already programmed to take in the OEM resistance values from the keys hence it needs no pairing. The aftermarket Head-Units need to learn the resistance values for each key, hence the pairing process. Fairly easy.

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-auxcable.jpg
Here's a pictorial representation of a mono aux cord cut in half

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 16:05   #14
BHPian

Where did you get the RCD 360 pro in Delhi? I tried VW dealership but they don’t have it in stock and said it is discontinued.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 16:37   #15
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
Where did you get the RCD 360 pro in Delhi? I tried VW dealership but they don’t have it in stock and said it is discontinued.
I got it from Durvient, Pune. They import at regular intervals. You can get in touch with them here at this number- +91 70209 35643.

You can also import the HU through Alibaba-

https://x.alibaba.com/15j8zD

Download their app and you will get a 'sample' option.

My frustrating, yet fruitful journey of ICE'ing up my Ford Figo with the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT-screenshot_20231115163101_alibabacom.jpg

Pretty sure that Indian traders also import via a similar route.

Just to be clear, Alibaba is not banned in India. Do get in touch with the seller though to confirm India shipping before placing the order.

I got 3 parcels delivered of mine delivered via Alibaba.

1st package was shipped via Aramex. Value was 6 usd plus 12 usd shipping. So 18 usd. Had to pay 744 rs custom. This came to Delhi then came to me via Delhivery

2nd was shipped via 4px(Chinese company). Value was 8 usd plus 6 usd shipping. Total 14 usd. Was delivered by India post. No duty.

Third item was 60 usd plus 10 usd shipping and was shipped via Yanwen(Chinese company). Was delivered via Indiapost. Custom duty was 1800.

The last 2 came via Mumbai. Avoid DHL or Fedex unless you want to pay a higher duty.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks