Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 13:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Study: 50% of new car buyers won't buy a vehicle without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

Connected technology is increasingly becoming an essential part of modern vehicles. New car buyers now expect access to online streaming services, over-the-air updates and real-time navigation in their vehicles. Having said that, most car owners prefer using smartphone-integrated features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, instead of factory-installed apps & services.

The importance of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto has increased so much that a new study by McKinsey states that 50% of new car buyers won't even consider a vehicle without these connected features. However, carmakers are slowly moving away from offering Android Auto & Apple CarPlay support, which reports suggest doesn't look like a smart move.

Study: 50% of new car buyers won't buy a vehicle without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto-connectedtech.jpeg

As per the study, customers are used to having these smartphone-integrated interfaces, and an overwhelming 85% of them prefer it over the built-in OEM system. This could become a problem for carmakers who insist that customers use their built-in connectivity features.

Tesla started the trend of not offering Android Auto or Apple CarPlay in their EVs. However, owners unanimously state that the brand's navigation and apps are at least as good as the smartphone features, hence, most don't consider either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay a priority.

The same though can't be said about other carmakers. Rivian is refusing to offer Android Auto and AppleCarPLay despite desperate requests from owners. The EV maker's current interface is said to be patchy, but the company believes its software will improve, and in the near future its customers won't feel the need to have smartphone-projected apps.

The McKinsey study analyses the preference of both ICE & EV owners, which is said to differ significantly when it comes to software & connectivity issues.

Source: AutoEvolution

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 21st September 2023 at 13:13.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Study: 50% of new car buyers won't buy a vehicle without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

Of course! Why should we buy a daily commuter car without these features?

When I was trying to list down potential models to buy back in 2017, I rejected certain car models since they didn't have AA which was offered by Hyundai at that point in time.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Study: 50% of new car buyers won't buy a vehicle without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

Phones are a most ubiquitous part of life, and proper smartphone integration is nowadays taken for granted, as much as AC and power steering. I will not be happy considering a car which does not have CarPlay and Android Auto. The fact that these two provide for standardised, clean and clutter free interface across cars, and independent of the generally buggy stock UI is also a great thing in their favour.

I am yet to experience any car’s UI which is as clean and intuitive as CarPlay.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st September 2023 at 13:26.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:56   #4
BHPian

Could care less about Apple CarPlay, I’ve had it for years in one of my cars, never used it. I’d rather the mfg. make the same investment in better power/handling/suspension/tyres, things that actually matter when driving.

I never take calls while driving, even handsfree it’s mentally distracting and slows down reaction time. I also don’t use Bluetooth audio as it kills the sound quality, wired only.

Navigation is the only somewhat useful feature but it messes with the audio playback by turning down the music volume during voice directions, so again never used.
AJ56 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:19   #5
BHPian

I speculate that there is a 50% probability that this study could be completely disconnected with reality because (I guess) no one would buy a car just because it has android auto or apple play.
On4Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:32   #6
BHPian

On the contrary I have never bothered to use Android Auto and Car Play except for a few occasions and it doesn't really convince me that one has to have it. My Kodiaq has both wirelessly and My Volvo doensnt have any but I have never had an issue. I see the added convenience of getting your phone apps on the screen and honestly its google maps that one needs most of the time and may be Spotify or YT music. With Bluetooth, music playback is sorted so its the maps, that again one can access with their phone mounted in the car. If you ask me, its the OEMs who can offer superior UX which gets connected with their car in a better sense that what Google and Apple can deliver as third party Apps.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 11:09   #7
BHPian

I mainly use CarPlay for privacy reasons. I have a YouTube Premium account, and I don't feel comfortable using the default infotainment Android device to log in with my primary Gmail account. Some have suggested using an alternate email ID only for the car, but then my premium account wouldn't sync properly. For instance, when I search for a location or hotel and send it to my device, it's simple. If I had two accounts, the synchronization wouldn't work correctly. With CarPlay, I can connect and use all the features on the display, and once I disconnect, there's no trace of my data left in the car. So yes, CarPlay is a must for me.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:29   #8
BHPian

Recently started using carplay as I was on a 2012 rapid. I am totally sold on it's utility. The ease of use, the familiar UI and UX, it's so intuitive! Had replaced my stock stereo on the rapid with a cheap chinese one that did not support AA or carplay, and now, I feel I missed out on a convenience for years! I would definitely be put off if these are not available as a standard.
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:33   #9
BHPian

The most important advantage of having android auto over standalone ICE is that when you have paid accounts android auto is still treated as one device while logging in separately in the car will be treated as 2 and hence will get flagged, or you might have to pay up for a more premium plan.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:35   #10
BHPian

Be it Android Auto or Apple Car Play, except Navigation support, I believe they only add to more distraction (in my personal opinion). I never take a call while driving, Maps can still be used by your phone turning voice assistance ON and music can still be played using 3rd party/OOB Bluetooth device or Aux cable.

It may be good to have those features, but these are not the features at least for me which stops me to buy a car if not available.
Old 22nd September 2023, 16:09   #11
BHPian

I would definitely consider Apple Carplay as one of the mandatory boxes to tick if I am getting a new car. My current car, Hyundai NiOS 2022 does have it and we use extensively when going somewhere far and even if we know route, we keep it just to look at traffic and such.

Initially wife felt uncomfortable as she has to look at screen and in front both while navigating but she got used to it very quickly.
Old 22nd September 2023, 16:51   #12
BHPian

It wasn't that long ago that having a CD stacker in your car was considered high-tech, when the thought of switching seamlessly from Eminem to Green Day, with U2 and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers thrown in to the mix, had you jumping into the driver's seat at even the sniff of an opportunity.

Rapidly changing technology has brought with it shining new toys which is reflected in the homes in which we live, the jobs we do and the cars we choose to drive. And of course in our mobile phones, which have quickly become an extension of how we communicate in all aspects of our lives.

Such is our dependence on our phones that we can't be parted from them, even whilst driving. And being distracted by a text while in control of a vehicle can never be a good thing.

Enter Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, designed to allow you to stay connected with your world with your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

Put simply, they are third-party apps that mimic the functions of your phone and run on your car's computer interface. The idea is to access your favourite music, navigation, make calls and answer texts by using voice commands instead of your hands.

Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have been around since the end of 2014 or early 2015 but it is only in the last few years, with most manufacturers integrating them into new cars, that they have truly come into their own.

Both interfaces encourage voice commands with CarPlay using 'Siri' to do your bidding and Android Auto using 'Google Now'. You have to press the voice command button or microphone on your steering wheel to offer up your wishes, although in CarPlay you can just say "Hey Siri" to get her going. Of course, you can use manual commands but the systems do prompt you to verbalise your needs instead.

You can also use Apple maps (CarPlay) or Google maps (Android Auto) for directions which is handy in cars that don't have built-in sat nav.

Aside from the home screen it is a case of trying to achieve the same goal in different ways.

Both will lower the sound of the music when giving navigation instructions and pop the command on the top of the screen if you are in a music app for example and both are adept at making calls and reading texts.

Neither is perfect and in the end both accomplish the same thing. It simply comes down to whether you are an Apple or Android user. I like the functionality and ordered approach of Apple products whilst you may prefer the delights of Android, whatever they may be.
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:02   #13
BHPian

Wow! Another day and another McKinsey report, which highlights tech and maybe, just maybe subtly hinting to everyone that if it's tech, they should partner with them for consultancy. Even in my extended family (which I consider is at top 1 percentile of education and tech qualification) have many who don't give a damn about connected car tech! Streaming on cars? Other than Nexon, I don't know any other car which is giving this feature. Looks like they visited few colleges and surveyed the people hanging out in the cafeteria! (I know this is very biased reply, but having engaged with them and reading many of their so called in depth surveys, I don't expect much from them).
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:06   #14
BHPian

I am not a fan of all the connected technology and features in the modern cars. I would rather have a good car that connects with me due to its ride and handling. And then some convenience and safety features, one of which is Android Auto for maps. Find it a great help during my travels as I have my travel details planned in my phone. I will not consider a car without Android Auto.
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Android Auto / Car Play is a huge deal for me and I use it all the time with Google maps on monitoring traffic. Google assistant works so well to make handsfree calls, set reminders, etc. without having to take my hands off the wheel.

I don't like mounting my phone on a holder and hence this works very well for me and is a must have in my cars.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed