Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2023, 19:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Study: 50% of new car buyers won't buy a vehicle without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

For the usability perspective, iOS 17 allows people to control the songs playing on the car with driver authorisation (SharePlay). The interface of CarPlay is also better. Android Auto is getting redesigned periodically. Hopefully, they settle on an interface that works for everyone.

I won't buy a car that doesn't allow Apple CarPlay.

----For the maps-----

I am unwilling to rely solely on one mapping solution. Apple Maps and MapMyIndia earn my preference as they adhere to well-established routes.

Google Auto can sometimes provide misleading directions for car travel as it often registers routes primarily intended for motorbikes as regular roads. Navigating through a congested, narrow lane in a city can be manageable, but there have been situations where Google Maps has directed me onto farm access paths strictly meant for bicycles and motorbikes. Retracing my route from the field was inconvenient, especially with the absence of a cellular network. However, Google excels in locating addresses.

Given its foundation on MapMyIndia data, Apple Maps is more advantageous for inter-city travel.

Mappls by MapMyIndia is a valuable addition; however, its utility is restricted without offline support.

The Navi3D from MapMyIndia supports complete offline navigation. However, it's interface is very basic and route management is poor (lacks support for Waypoints and the like). It is also incompatible with CarPlay and Android Auto. What’s truly needed is an enhanced Navi3D application, one that supports CarPlay, Android Auto, and offers improved route planning.

Using Google maps in offline mode is of limited use.
Old 23rd September 2023, 06:46   #17
BHPian

Re: Study: 50% of new car buyers won't buy a vehicle without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

Looking at all the comments till now, I'd say we are also at the 50% mark and the report isn't incorrect or way off. I, myself, fall in the 50%, and would never buy a car without AA. It came factory installed in my 6 year old Dzire top model, and although I never knew what it was when I bought it, everyday I'm grateful that I bought the top model for this and other conveniences. Have been using AA since then everyday on daily commutes. The convenience it offers means that I don't get distracted looking at the phone answering calls or messages or maps, which I would regularly need to do as part of my job. If i stopped by the side of the road to answer every call and text, I'd never reach office. Having it is much safer than having to fumble around with the phone especially to answer whatsapp and MS teams messages. The AA just reads it aloud, and the google assistant takes down short replies perfectly, without me having to touch a single button or having to look at the screen.
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:02   #18

I am using wireless car play for over a year now. It's really a must have feature in any car. My 2016 model city was not having this feature previously, so I added this feature from canblo. They are providing 2-year warranty. Now it's a part of my life. The only downside is it is using Wi-Fi for connectivity which results in quick discharge if my phone's battery.
Old 2nd October 2023, 23:45   #19

In the market for a new EV. Have totally written off Tesla and Rivian due to the lack of Carplay.

Have driven Teslas quite a bit and even though the information system is good, it does not hold a candle against Carplay.

My partner wont touch a car without Carplay, so will be narrowing down on Volvo or Genesis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks