Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Android Auto - How to stop Google Voice Assist dialing numbers from the internet

I am facing a concern while using Google Voice Asst on AA for making calls. The concern happens in the scenario it is unable to correctly recognize the called name in the contact list. The Assistant searches the called name on the internet and auto-dials the number for the similar sounding web-search (usually a business listing).

What to stop this behaviour by restricting the search in contact list only. If the search fails, it should simply indicate the same and not auto-dial some random number.

Tried searching for settings in Google app, AA but couldn't find anything that could stop this. 'Device & Call Settings' turn up blank. So, request guidance here.
AutoNoob is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 09:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Auto - How to stop Google Voice Assist dialing numbers from the internet

Great timing!! Experienced this yesterday and it's an absolutely ridiculous & senseless behaviour on Android Auto's part.

Me:
Quote:
Call Mum
Android Auto text on screen:
Quote:
Call mum
Android Auto voice says:
Quote:
Calling mum-mum
And then, instead of calling my Mum - who is in my contacts and also has a "nickname" saved as 'Mom' precisely for voice-to-text phonetic reasons...
Android Auto - How to stop Google Voice Assist dialing numbers from the internet-screenshot_20230517094344.png

... it instead proceeds to call this person!! Who I don't even have in my contacts and have never called before in my life
Android Auto - How to stop Google Voice Assist dialing numbers from the internet-screenshot_20230517094417.png

This happens repeatedly.

-------------

One possible solution:

(I am yet to try this)

Name:  Screenshot 20230517 095933.png
Views: 1177
Size:  48.5 KB

Source: (Nov 2021) Calling on Assistant Smart Displays, speakers will soon be limited to your Google Contacts

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2023 at 10:01.
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 08:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Auto - How to stop Google Voice Assist dialing numbers from the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Great timing!! Experienced this yesterday and it's an absolutely ridiculous & senseless behaviour on Android Auto's part.

One possible solution:

(I am yet to try this)
Do share your experience.

However, I do think this 'Set up Voice Match' is not going to yield accurate results for all contacts.

I fail to understand, why can't Google give an option to simply restrict the search only to contacts in my phone/ account.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
What to stop this behaviour by restricting the search in contact list only.
Here's a question for you in the interim:

Do you use multiple Google accounts on your phone?

In my case, my "primary" google account on the phone is used for Gmail, Maps, etc -- but I have a secondard google account where my contacts are stored.

I think perhaps Android Auto is only accessing contacts from the primary account? The way I see it there's no way to switch accounts(?) - eg. If i want to access saved places on my secondary account's Google Maps.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 15:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

So bloody apt scenarios ive faced nd ridiculous of this nonsense Android Auto to call randoms as against the command provided. Carplay / Siri is extremely accurate and refined.

AA called a random salon when I asked to call a friend! It was so idiotic for a smartphone or the feature It has to behave erratically!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 19:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Solved!

So as per my earlier post, the proposed solution was to:
1) Set up voice match
2) Turn on Personal results

So...
1) I set up voice match
2) Personal results was already turned on in my case - so no changes there

And it went like this...

Me:
Quote:
Call Mum
Android Auto text on screen:
Quote:
Call mum
Android Auto voice says:
Quote:
Would that be mum mobile?
Me, humouring AA, despite there being no other Mum contact or any numbers other than 'Mobile' listed in her contact:
Quote:
Yes
And then, Android Auto successfully calls my Mum!

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2023 at 19:47.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:55   #7
BHPian

I am having a different kind of issue with AA.

The system suddenly gets in listening mode (normally, I have to press the key on the steering wheel controls to activate it), picks up random conversations, and starts dialing some random number basis what it picks up!!

I thought that the voice activation on my mobile has been going crazy. But, the trigger is set as OK Google, which I never use in normal conversations in the car (actually, rarely speak in english in the car when with spouseo r friends!!) so it should not get activated!
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you use multiple Google accounts on your phone?
Yes.

Quote:
In my case, my "primary" google account on the phone is used for Gmail, Maps, etc -- but I have a secondard google account where my contacts are stored.
You may call me old school, but I store contacts on phone-only and not sync with any of the Google accounts. Though I regularly back-up my contacts and upload the CSV file on email.

The reason is from past experience. In the beginning years, used to sync contacts but :
  • it messed up the contact description/details
  • contacts with only email field or in some cases blank contacts (with just name) were also synced.
  • Phone list ballooned in size.
In the end the contact list was messed up and it was pain to set right again.

So, contacts are stored on phone only. It was close to 10yrs back, may be now there is improvement the way contacts are handled.

May share your experience.

Quote:
I think perhaps Android Auto is only accessing contacts from the primary account? The way I see it there's no way to switch accounts(?) - eg. If i want to access saved places on my secondary account's Google Maps.
In my case, on voice command, AA is accessing contacts from my phone. Though in some cases, it goes to internet and dials random numbers.

Quote:

Solved!

So as per my earlier post, the proposed solution was to:
1) Set up voice match
2) Turn on Personal results

So...
1) I set up voice match
2) Personal results was already turned on in my case - so no changes there
Thanks a lot for the solution . Seems like, I need to bite the bullet and sync my contacts with either of the google account.

Though my concern remains, why can't google provide simple toggle option to disable/enable internet search/dial for contacts.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks