Integrated Infotainment Head-Unit 233 72.59%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 15:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
And now gets some kid's skateboard stowed away behind the steering wheel of the W223
Wasn't this trend started by the erstwhile Chevrolet Beat? And also adopted by the Mini Cooper?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 15:10   #17

What would one call the unit in the IGNIS? It is floating, Tab like but still intergrated & in-line of sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-marutiignisandroidsystem500x500.jpg  

Numb_Locked is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:31   #18
BHPian

I would go for Integrated displays anyday for the very reason they are named- "Integrated"

Just look at Creta vs Seltos with the same screen placed differently. I hate it on the Seltos with a corner protruding on left (personal preference. no offense)

Another slightly tangential reason:
Coming from a poor engine+a/c combo in an old hatchback (with no rear a/c vents), I believe the front center vents have to be as high as possible to provide cooling for the rear seat. Even when you have rear vents, that is just an air outlet and sometimes with a fan and some degree of control on air flow. The real cooling will most likely happen via the front vents. In case of floating displays, the vents are mostly pushed down or sideways on the console and may not be sufficiently utilized (while making the front passengers uncomfortably cold).
Totoro11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

I had thought a few days back that why don't we have a thread on this new trend of floating screens so that I could vent out my feeling for them. But I was too lazy to start one. So thank you Aditya for starting it. I hate the floating screens from the bottom of my heart and frankly I had no idea that they could have anything positive in their favour before I went through the opening post. Still, I hate them. I like integrated screens that are not too big, 5 or 6 inches should be the maximum I feel. But what I liked most till quite recently was this -

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-img_1981.jpg

Then a few days back I saw these online (https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com) and have fallen in love -

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-landroverradioblack.jpeg

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-landroverradio.jpeg

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-jaguarradioblack.jpeg

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-xjaguarclassicblackfront03.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rdnn06ptm.jpg

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-reborn_etype_0111retouched.jpeg

But these are very costly

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th June 2021 at 21:16.
BlackPearl is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 00:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted Floating Displays because I like the fact that they are generally higher than the integrated HU displays.

Integrated HUs are by no means a dealbreaker for me though.
Old 18th June 2021, 10:20   #21
BHPian

We had a Polo & Passat which had integrated displays at a lower level.

Fortunately, basic functions on the Passat were accessible with the steering wheel mounted controls. In the Polo, one had to take their eyes off the road to access functions.

We now have an Ecosport & 520d with floating displays, which I absolutely love - also most commonly used functions are accessible with the steering wheel mounted controls. Voted for floating displays - they are usually larger and look classy.

We also have a Jazz, which has an integrated display at a reasonably high level, and basic functions can be accessed with the steering wheel mounted controls
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 10:36   #22
BHPian

I feel the Audi A6 was the car to come with a first Floating display (which was retractable too) back in 2011. When I saw it retracting itself automatically, I was so impressed that you could get a minimalist dashboard on a touch of a button. However, I voted for integrated display because I like my dashboard to be cohesive and not something jutting out in your face design, it kind of spoils the fluidity.

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-c98e6d4410604824aafbc4542676096a.jpeg
sachin_cs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 10:47   #23
BHPian

I prefer the floating display.

They are not as bad as made out to be interms if looks and the functionality and high mounted position makes it second nature to refer to the navigation.

Really found it useful in my Nexon vs other cars I had a chance to drive.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 11:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Voted for floating display and for me the benchmark is Tesla ��

I like the touch based ac blower controls too through the display..

Last edited by myavu : 18th June 2021 at 11:29.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 11:29   #25
BHPian

Voted for floating displays.

Aesthetics-wise I like the integrated ones. But the safety advantage on a floating display is more important to me. Experienced it first hand in my Altroz vs my friend's Amaze.

So I would prefer the floating.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As many have already stated, execution matters more to me.

I currently have a Ford Ecosport S, and I am happy with it's floating unit. It's in the line of sight, has all the necessary buttons and the screen in general rarely suffers from any issues.

However, I have been in some Tata Nexon's (primarily for test drives), but hated the floating touchscreen here, merely due to the unresponsive and laggy unit.

But if asked for a preference- I will take the floating unit. One more pro that I have with these screens is the visibility of the screen. Since they are free standing, no amount of sunlight can cause any glare in these.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:34   #27
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Voted for floating type due to their intuitive (in field of vision) design.

However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I feel the Audi A6 was the car to come with a first Floating display (which was retractable too) back in 2011. When I saw it retracting itself automatically, I was so impressed that you could get a minimalist dashboard on a touch of a button.
This is how I would like to have it. Its not everyday that we need the big screen. I hate the screens at night for the lighting they add to the cabin during night drives.

Neatly tucked away when not required.

As a kid, I once drooled over a stereo installed in a Pajero which looked like this:
Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-retract.jpg

Still dig them.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 11:41   #28
BHPian

Didn't vote because it depends on the way it's integrated. In some cars like the Polo, i20 and Creta, the display is integrated onto the dash and one does not need to look down to see the song name or navigation. Whereas in the EcoSport, it's a floating unit and this too does the job really well and is at the eye level itself.

Basically, it depends in the way it's executed, be it floating or integrated into the dash, but not too low like the one in Duster where one has to look down to change something in the HU
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 12:03   #29
BHPian

On my Mini it was integrated in the dash but the placement was exactly in the middle and I didn’t care about the unit at all. I rarely used the screen and handled most of my stuff from the phone.

On the other hand, my Mazda has a floating screen but it’s neatly integrated and designed away from the driver so it doesn’t come in the way. It’s a non-touchscreen unit far away from the driver so he can focus solely on driving. I love the placement and the size and been using it a lot. Thanks to CarPlay, I don’t have to look at my phone now at all.

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-a082b1c81f69442bbdbfe840ff1e21a0.jpeg
turbowhistle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 12:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

I found it difficult to vote because as much as I love the functionality of floating touch screens, I equally love the integrated ones from an aesthetic standpoint.

But some floating touchscreens that do not have physical buttons are an absolute no-no for me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks