Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: Sony XAV-AX7000 Head Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Does your front parking cam that you installed previously work with this head unit?

The 45.5 amp seems pretty capable going by what you said, but especially in a single DIN chassis, I don't reckon it's going to that good.
How much amplification can you really put in a head unit, especially in a SINGLE DIN chassis.

It would always be recommended to use a standalone amp.

Also, what are the 5 channels for specifically,
I've only heard of 6 channels till now 2 front 2 back and 2sub
I'm not using the internal amp, so I can't comment on that.

5th channel is the subwoofer channel. Only thing is you need a RCA Y cable. If it had 6 channels then no need for Y cable.

This has only one camera input, so I had to use a front camera switcher.
Old 18th July 2020, 00:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
The Sony XAV-AX7000 has been launched in India a little time ago. I have installed this head unit in my Honda City and here is a brief review of the unit.
Awesome review of an unique product, never knew such a HU even existed. I have a 06 Swift ZXi with a Sony single DIN BT HU, have Avatar components (Avatar CBR-620) at the front & Avatar coaxials at the back. The current sound output is satisfactory enough, but these speakers would surely perform better if supplied with an amplified signal. I was planning to fit an entry level 4 channel amplifier to power the speakers & a small active sub woofer. But the issue with this upgrade is the wiring & tuning hassle that comes with it, in Guwahati most car accessories stores are still only comfortable in powering a Sub woofer/ base tube with a 2 channel amplifier.

If the Sony XAV-AX7000 has an inbuilt amplifier, I needn't worry about the wiring & tuning part. Of course a dedicated amplifier would be better, but this should be sufficient for me. On the positive side I will gain a touchscreen 2 DIN HU with Android Auto & Apple CarPlay. Some questions for you:
  1. If I have understood properly, I can power the speakers with the stock wiring?
  2. I would only need to connect the coupler to the back of the HU?
  3. If I plan to fit a sub woofer, I would need a RCA cable that will go from the HU to the sub-woofer?

Last edited by chiranjitp : 18th July 2020 at 00:39.
Old 18th July 2020, 01:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Some questions for you:
  1. If I have understood properly, I can power the speakers with the stock wiring?
  2. I would only need to connect the coupler to the back of the HU?
  3. If I plan to fit a sub woofer, I would need a RCA cable that will go from the HU to the sub-woofer?
Happy to answer all your questions:
  • Yes, stock wiring is sufficient for 45W RMS
  • You need a vehicle specific harness, steering wheel control interface(if equipped), antenna adapter, camera adapter(if equipped), and most importantly your Dash kit.
    Then you also need to connect your specific harness, to the sony's harness. Pretty basic, just match all colours)
  • There are 2 ways to install a subwoofer with this unit. Using the front channels, you can power 4 speakers, and using any one rear channel, power the subwoofer using the subwoofer direct mode.
    From Sony's website:
    Review: Sony XAV-AX7000 Head Unit-screenshot-20200718-1.14.33-am.png
    Or you could traditionally use the pre-amp output (5V) to send the audio signal from an RCA cable to the subwoofer amplifier or active enclosure.

Review and power testing reveals this unit does send out 45W RMS. They have also shown the subwoofer direct mode along with power testing. Reliable source, can be trusted:

Link to video by QMV

Last edited by city2491 : 18th July 2020 at 01:23.
city2491 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 17:59   #19
BHPian

Hi city2491,

Came up on this thread right when I needed it. I am confused between this and Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT. Inclined towards Pioneer because it has wireless carplay and Android Auto. The only gripe with Sony is that USB port is in the rear. How have you placed the pigtail usb cable for connecting your phone for carplay or using USB for playing music? can you share a picture?

Also, would be great if you can share the price you got it at.

I have Philadelphia 845 in my skoda Rapid and I am looking to upgrade the HU as well as upgrade to components.

Thanks
Raj
raaj.bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 18:33   #20
BHPian

I'm very new to car audio so I wanted to ask what connectors does the Honda city system have for speakers?

If I were to change to a Sony Ax-7000 or Pioneer 5290 then how are the speakers connected to it because they have rca inputs?
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 03:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Very nice review. I have a similar City (mine is SV though) and I was getting fed up of the stock head unit.

Considered a lot of headunits and finally got the Blaupunkt New York 750.
I was looking at the same one to replace the HU in my Elite i20. Couple questions -

1. Does it work with the current microphone already in the car? I don't want some microphone dangling.

2. Can I use the reverse webcam that is already installed in the car or do I need to install this one?

3. Does it work the steering mounted controls?
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:30   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
1. Does it work with the current microphone already in the car? I don't want some microphone dangling.
You'll need to use the microphone provided in the package. IIRC when we had installed the Sony XAV-AX3000 in the Grand i10, neither did the OEM microphone work nor the OEM USB port.

Quote:
2. Can I use the reverse webcam that is already installed in the car or do I need to install this one?
I presume you meant the OEM reverse camera or do you have a dashcam mounted on the rear windshield apart from the OEM reverse camera??

Quote:
Yes. Easy to make the HU learn those controls.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You'll need to use the microphone provided in the package. IIRC when we had installed the Sony XAV-AX3000 in the Grand i10, neither did the OEM microphone work nor the OEM USB port.

I presume you meant the OEM reverse camera or do you have a dashcam mounted on the rear windshield apart from the OEM reverse camera??

Yes. Easy to make the HU learn those controls.

First up, thanks.

1. Is the mic obtrusive? If you get the chance/time please post a pic.

2. Yes, I mean the OEM reverse cam. Will that work? Tbh, it's quality isn't very good.

3. Good to know about the USB port.
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:49   #24
BANNED

Quote:
1. Is the mic obtrusive? If you get the chance/time please post a pic.

2. Yes, I mean the OEM reverse cam. Will that work? Tbh, it's quality isn't very good.

3. Good to know about the USB port.
The install was in a fellow BHPian's car, not mine. Apologies, don't have any picture with me currently.

1. Mic is not obtrusive, you can fit it on the sunshade or A-Pillar trim panel. It comes with a hook from factory for easy mounting.

2. OEM reverse camera will work, not an issue. I like the OEM camera on my Creta. Great picture quality even at night.
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:55   #25
BHPian

I recently installed the lower version Sony XAV AX5000 in my wife's 2010 Honda Civic (non-nav/non-premium sound) here in US.

The main reason for me to go for Sony was because of the physical buttons for volume control. I was debating whether to select AX5000 or AX5500 (which costs $50 more) but decided to stick with AX5000 because I felt I don't need the higher RMS output. I'm not an audiophile but upgraded the HU because I wanted to add blue-tooth and back-up camera. So far this HU has performed very well. I was planning to replace the stock factory speakers but for now I'm happy with the sound output so will stick with factory speakers.

Only issue I see is when I connect my phone to the HU, Android Auto takes a while to load.
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking at the same one to replace the HU in my Elite i20. Couple questions -

1) Nope, the microphone in the City SV was placed in the headunit panel itself and since that is removed now, using the microphone provided by Blaupunkt. Have placed it near the IRVM.

2) You can connect existing your reverse camera to this.

3) Yes, you need to configure the steering controls in the headunit's menu once you've installed it. All the controls on my City are working fine.
Old 24th September 2020, 18:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:

The sound quality from the stock speakers has improved but I'm still not 100% satisfied so I'll get new speakers in a few weeks. My car doesn't have tweeters. As for the headunit, it is a great upgrade over the stock one and no wires were cut too. I have driven my car just a couple of times after getting it fitted so I'll share a detailed review in a few days once I check out all the features properly. I really miss the volume control knob though.
How were the RCA outputs connected to the stock speakers?
Old 29th September 2020, 15:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:

I have installed a XAV-AX5000 in my Verna Fluidic. Let me answer the questions for you.

1. Yes it works. I have hooked up the OEM Microphone to my radio. Works flawlessly.

2. You mean OEM Camera ??? You’ll have to tap into certain wires of the harness to make it work. OEM cameras use a proprietary port. Aftermarket camera’s use an RCA Video cable.

3. Yes, Steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

You can refer to my installation guide for more info. Typing this from my phone, so I can’t link it here.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
features properly. I really miss the volume control knob though.
Do the steering wheel controls not work for you? I can see that your steering has some controls.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
How were the RCA outputs connected to the stock speakers?
The RCA outputs are different from speaker level outputs. You don't need the RCA outputs unless you are going to use an aftermarket amplifier. Your stock speakers can be connected directly to the headunit from the existing wiring harness.
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks