Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 16:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Intermittent sound loss from the speakers

Hello everyone,

I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6 and love the car to bits. I had installed an aftermarket audio set up in 2012 - 2013 itself and its details can be found https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...olo-1-6-a.html (ICEing my VW Polo 1.6)

The set up consists of the following:

Headunit : Alpine ICS-X8
Fr Comps : Gladen Zero 165
Rr Coaxials : Audio Systems CO 165 G Plus
4ch Amp : Mosconi One 120.4
RCAs X 02 : Gladen Zero Cinch 5
Speaker wires (15 AWG) : 25m
Single Amp Kit : Monster MPC P400 BAP1500

Lately, I had the mid bass of the front right component not produce sound intermittently especially at low volumes. Sometime I would get an itchy sound like as it the speaker has a loose connection. If the volume was increased, the speaker would play. In time this started to become worse. It started on the right hand side speaker as well. On examining the mid bass, we found that the cones of both the front mid bass were stiff. My installer recommended to have the coils changed. We did so and the speakers started to work perfectly.

It has been around 02 months post the repair and the issue has cropped up again. I have also found this to now start on the rear coaxials as well. The quality of sound also decreases a bit sometimes and at other times it plays like it should. My installer says that it seems the amplifier may have collected carbon deposits and needs to be serviced.

Added Problems
This may or may not be related to the above but thought it was necessary to mention.

1. I had travelled abroad in December 2019 for a good 15 days. During this time, both my cars - Polo and Jetta were parked in my basement without use. On my return, I found the Polo's battery to be completely flat where as the Jetta started in one crank. I found this a bit odd. Got the Polo's battery recharged and all was fine.

Now during the current lock down, the Polo's battery is flat again and the Jetta is absolutely fine. This points clearly to a current leak in the Polo which is draining the battery. However, is this related to the audio issue?

2. I have also noticed that whenever I start the the Polo, I sometimes hear a sparking kind of sound for split second. Like as if something is shorting. I cannot figure out whether I am hearing this through the speaker or from the amp, but it appear to come from the rear of the car.
Again, could this be related to the audio issue?

Awaiting your valuable comments.

Last edited by Epic : 14th April 2020 at 16:20.
Old 15th April 2020, 13:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Intermittent sound loss from the speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6
The set up consists of the following:

Headunit : Alpine ICS-X8
Fr Comps : Gladen Zero 165
Rr Coaxials : Audio Systems CO 165 G Plus
4ch Amp : Mosconi One 120.4

Sometime I would get an itchy sound like as it the speaker has a loose connection. y installer recommended to have the coils changed. We did so and the speakers started to work perfectly.

It has been around 02 months post the repair and the issue has cropped up again.

My installer says that it seems the amplifier may have collected carbon deposits and needs to be serviced.

2. I have also noticed that whenever I start the Polo, I sometimes hear a sparking kind of sound for split second.
1. Is the head unit and amplifier on when you start the car? If the stereo is NOT on then the "sparking sound" you are hearing cannot be coming from the system. While you are at it, check if the amplifier goes on and off when you turn the head unit on and off. Sometimes this "remote" connection fails and the amplifier might be on even if the head unit is off. It might also be the cause of why the battery drained.

2. As far as the itchy sounds are concerned. I suspect these have little to do with the amplifier. As you can see from the image below the GAP between the voice coil and the magnet's pole pieces/backplate is very small. The car is not a clean environment. Dust and fine dirt particles are omnipresent and some of these particles may be magnetic (ferrous) in nature and adhere to the magnet and pole pieces. This dirt will then interfere with the voice coil's free movement and you will get that itchy scraping sound.

Given the tight manufacturing tolerances involved, it is very difficult to repair a speaker and return it to its original performance. Post repair, you can get some sound but not the original performance of the speaker.

Your best bet is to take another speaker (not from your car) that you know is functioning well and check each channel individually. This will give a clearer picture.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Intermittent sound loss from the speakers-drawingofanelectrodynamicloudspeakermidrangewoofer.png  

Last edited by navin : 15th April 2020 at 13:17.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Navin,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Is the head unit and amplifier on when you start the car? If the stereo is NOT on then the "sparking sound" you are hearing cannot be coming from the system. While you are at it, check if the amplifier goes on and off when you turn the head unit on and off. Sometimes this "remote" connection fails and the amplifier might be on even if the head unit is off. It might also be the cause of why the battery drained.
As a practice, I always turn the volume off and switch off the headunit before I shut off the car. So the headunit is never on when I start the car.

Also, even if the headunit is 'ON', should it not turn off by default when I turn off the ignition and remove the key? I have tried this and it does.

I need to check if the amplifier is shutting off once I turn off the headunit and / or the ignition. Will check this and report.

Quote:
2. As far as the itchy sounds are concerned. I suspect these have little to do with the amplifier. As you can see from the image below the GAP between the voice coil and the magnet's pole pieces/backplate is very small. The car is not a clean environment. Dust and fine dirt particles are omnipresent and some of these particles may be magnetic (ferrous) in nature and adhere to the magnet and pole pieces. This dirt will then interfere with the voice coil's free movement and you will get that itchy scraping sound.
If this is the case, it is odd that this is happening to almost all speakers and in a car like the Polo which has well packed doors. I never faced this issue in my 05 year old Swift with a similar set up but different brands of amps and speakers. Are the Gladen equipment not tolerant to Indian conditions?

Quote:
Given the tight manufacturing tolerances involved, it is very difficult to repair a speaker and return it to its original performance. Post repair, you can get some sound but not the original performance of the speaker.
I didn't expect them to perform like original post repair, but definitely did not expect them to have the same problem with in 03 months post repair.

Quote:
Your best bet is to take another speaker (not from your car) that you know is functioning well and check each channel individually. This will give a clearer picture.
I will do a through check on trying to identify the problem by using a different set of speakers.

I have almost made up my mind to buy a new set of speakers but unsure of the best match for the Mosconi amp. What is your suggestion here.

Last edited by navin : 15th April 2020 at 18:46.
Old 15th April 2020, 18:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, even if the headunit is 'ON', should it not turn off by default when I turn off the ignition and remove the key? I have tried this and it does.

If this is the case, it is odd that this is happening to almost all speakers and in a car like the Polo which has well packed doors.

I have almost made up my mind to buy a new set of speakers but unsure of the best match for the Mosconi amp. What is your suggestion here.
In my old Opel Sail (2003) the ignition switch was not connected to the stereo. In short, you could use the stereo without turning the ignition on so I wanted to ensure the same is not true in your car.

Both front speakers in my wife's Honda City had the issue around the same time. So these things happen. I took the speaker apart and saw the dust all stuck to the pole pieces. I tried to wipe it off but it was an uphill task.

There are plenty of good speaker brands in the market. Morel, DLS, and Focal come most readily to mind.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 19:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
In my old Opel Sail (2003) the ignition switch was not connected to the stereo. In short, you could use the stereo without turning the ignition on so I wanted to ensure the same is not true in your car.
The Volkswagen head units can be switched on with out turning on the ignition as what you have mentioned sir. But the switch off option will work from the head unit manually/or turning off the ignition. I am not sure of it's the same with all models.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 15th April 2020 at 19:26.
Old 17th April 2020, 15:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intermittent sound loss from the speakers

Quote:
I need to check if the amplifier is shutting off once I turn off the headunit and / or the ignition. Will check this and report.
So I have got this checked and the amplifier switches ON and OFF when the headunit is turned ON and OFF respectively. So I don't think the power draw is due to the music system.

Quote:
There are plenty of good speaker brands in the market. Morel, DLS, and Focal come most readily to mind.
I have used the Morel Tempos before and loved them. However, they were hooked on to a JBL 75.4 amp and sourced through a Pioneer P80RSII. I don't mind looking at Morels again as I love the way they sound but will they sound the same on the Mosconi Amp and Alpine source?

I have also heard good reviews of the Focal Polyglass 165 V30 components.

What is your recommendation on the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
The Volkswagen head units can be switched on with out turning on the ignition as what you have mentioned sir. But the switch off option will work from the head unit manually/or turning off the ignition. I am not sure of it's the same with all models.
Volkswagen stock head units switch off completely once the key is removed from the ignition.

I have an aftermarket system in my car and so, once the ignition is turned OFF, the entire audio system shuts OFF as well.
Old 18th April 2020, 12:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have used the Morel Tempos before and loved them.
I have also heard good reviews of the Focal Polyglass 165 V30 components.
Personally, I prefer the Polyglass to the Tempos. So that's what I would go with. Morel has another line that is a step up from the Tempos (forget the name) that I have.
Old 18th April 2020, 16:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

I am just back after getting my Polo started and switched on the audio to have a check. The rear coaxials seem to be playing perfectly but the front components are absolutely silent.

I moved the fader to the front and increased the volume to 20 and both components came to life and played perfectly. When the sound is lowered to around 15, they tend to intermittently switch ON and OFF. The issue seems to be with the amp.

I think I will first have to get the amp checked before thinking of changing the speakers.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I prefer the Polyglass to the Tempos. So that's what I would go with. Morel has another line that is a step up from the Tempos (forget the name) that I have.
I have been also recommended 02 more brands:

- Audible Physics AP 1.6
- Eton POW 172.2

Heard rave reviews of the Audible Physics products. Never heard of Eton though.
Old 18th April 2020, 20:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
UPDATE
I moved the fader to the front and increased the volume to 20 and both components came to life and played perfectly. When the sound is lowered to around 15, they tend to intermittently switch ON and OFF. The issue seems to be with the amp.
Yes, this looks like an amplifier issue.

Do this. Connect the front speakers to the rear channels on the amp and the rear speakers to the front channel on the amp and see if the problem is then in the rear speakers.
Old 21st April 2020, 01:24   #11
BHPian

I had a similar issue in my car. What you need to do is take a can of WD40 or electrical contact cleaner and spray it on the potentiometers (knobs -Gain and filters) and switches (LPF/HPF etc) of your amp. Do remember to fiddle with the switches and knobs as you liberally spray it. This problem occurs due to moisture in the air and deposit buildup in the contacts of the pots/switches.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 12:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
I had a similar issue in my car. What you need to do is take a can of WD40 or electrical contact cleaner and spray it on the potentiometers (knobs -Gain and filters) and switches (LPF/HPF etc) of your amp. Do remember to fiddle with the switches and knobs as you liberally spray it. This problem occurs due to moisture in the air and deposit buildup in the contacts of the pots/switches.
Hello HimuraKenshin,

Thank you for the suggestion. Will definitely try it out and update.
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Do remember to fiddle with the switches and knobs as you liberally spray it. This problem occurs due to moisture in the air and deposit buildup in the contacts of the pots/switches.
WD40 is conductive. I would not use it on electronics. You can try a contact cleaner instead. Both CRC and Deoxit are available locally (at least in Mumbai)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-1...30-6/202262505
https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-Laborato.../dp/B01L2JB18M
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE

I think I will first have to get the amp checked before thinking of changing the speakers.
I have exactly the same issue with the ICE setup in my Civic. The front left components does not play in low volume and as soon as I increase the volume, it starts playing as if nothings happened.

My current setup is:
Audison LRX 4.1 Amplifier
Rainbow Soundline Components - Front
Rainbow Dreamline Components - Rear

I have some Isopropyl Alcohol at home. I will try what Himura suggested and see if that works.
Old 26th June 2020, 18:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I had travelled abroad in December 2019 for a good 15 days. During this time, both my cars - Polo and Jetta were parked in my basement without use. On my return, I found the Polo's battery to be completely flat where as the Jetta started in one crank. I found this a bit odd. Got the Polo's battery recharged and all was fine.

Now during the current lock down, the Polo's battery is flat again and the Jetta is absolutely fine. This points clearly to a current leak in the Polo which is draining the battery. However, is this related to the audio issue?
So I sorted out the battery drain which was not the music system but funnily the instrument cluster of the car. I have got this changed. Apparently this is pretty common with German cars.

Quote:
2. I have also noticed that whenever I start the the Polo, I sometimes hear a sparking kind of sound for split second. Like as if something is shorting. I cannot figure out whether I am hearing this through the speaker or from the amp, but it appears to come from the rear of the car.
This sound is still being heard and I am at my wits end trying to identify the same.

Quote:
Lately, I had the mid bass of the front right component not produce sound intermittently especially at low volumes. Sometime I would get an itchy sound like as it the speaker has a loose connection. If the volume was increased, the speaker would play. In time this started to become worse. It started on the right hand side speaker as well. On examining the mid bass, we found that the cones of both the front mid bass were stiff. My installer recommended to have the coils changed. We did so and the speakers started to work perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I have exactly the same issue with the ICE setup in my Civic. The front left components does not play in low volume and as soon as I increase the volume, it starts playing as if nothings happened
I think our amplifiers need to be serviced.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks