Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 11:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Land Rover Defender gets first dual-SIM infotainment system

Land Rover has showcased what is claimed to be the first infotainment system with two embedded SIM cards at CES 2020.

Land Rover Defender gets first dual-SIM infotainment system-land-rover-defender-ces-2020-1.jpg

According to Land Rover, the dual-SIM setup enhances connectivity. It enables the Pivi Pro system to install over-the-air updates while it's connected to apps and streaming music. The Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) technology can run in the background using a designated LTE model and eSIM. Additionally, users can connect two mobile devices to the infotainment head unit at once using Bluetooth.

Land Rover Defender gets first dual-SIM infotainment system-land-rover-defender-ces-2020-2.jpg

The Pivi Pro system is powered by two Qualcomm Snapdragon 820Am Automotive platforms, each with integrated Snapdragon X12 modem.

Land Rover claims that production versions will come with 16 electronic modules that can be updated anywhere using cloud-based technology from CloudCar. It also gets driver assistance systems developed with Bosch. These include a 3D surround camera.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 07:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover Defender gets first dual-SIM infotainment system

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It enables the Pivi Pro system to install over-the-air updates while it's connected to apps and streaming music. The Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) technology can run in the background using a designated LTE model and eSIM. Additionally, users can connect two mobile devices to the infotainment head unit at once using Bluetooth.
Another advantage = you can have two SIMs from different providers. E.g. my smartphone has a Vodafone SIM, while my laptop has an Airtel SIM. This ensures that no matter where in the country I am, I always have internet connectivity.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another advantage = you can have two SIMs from different providers.
True. I believe we have seen that most players even in India have been sticking to Vodafone (Hector, Venue & Seltos runs on Vodafone IIRC) - but their network is far from perfect in cities like Bangalore. Not that the competition is way better, but still!

Since the customers are generally not provided with the option of choosing their own network carrier, at least providing dual options would go a great deal in customer satisfaction. Good initiative from Land Rover!

As connectivity becomes more mainstream - we may even get the option to swap network carriers!
Old 14th January 2020, 09:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sorry but I don’t think this particular model deserves accolades for having a particularly fancy or a different audio.

Hope they have preserved some of the off-road capabilities that this names carries. I understand that its a technology show, maybe they could have picked an electric vehicle or promoted the electronic 4*4 gadgetry used in this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks