Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2007, 23:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Well folks, I got a small upgrade done on my ICE today.

What went in:
1) IDQ12 D2V2 12" Sub in a sealed box.
2) Audison LRx 1.4 Mono Amp.

What went out:
1) Kenwood KFC-WF305 12" Sub in a ported Box (AZ Audiocomp Flared Port).
2) Blaupunkt GTA 250 (2-channel amp) which was driving the sub in bridged mode.

The install was completed only late evening today (9.00PM) so only the gains were set in the amp and the sub and amp have not been tuned as yet. The rest of the setup also (esp. the 3-ways in the front) needs to be tuned so everything works/sounds as a unit. I'll be getting that done next week, before Wednesday.

The stuff has been installed in the car. Some finishing work remains to be done to make it the usual neat-n-clean install. That also will be done by Wednesday, along with the tuning.

It already sounds really, really good. The bass response is simply awesome, with tight, clean, hard-hitting bass, with quite a bit of low frequency extension. As I mentioned to a friend, the feeling is almost orgasmic

I'll be breaking the sub in well tomorrow and Monday with some exxxxxxtended listening sessions

Some unboxing pics (I'll upload pics of finished setup after it is "finished"):

Sorry for mobile-cam pics. I'm too much of a miser to get a digicam when that money can be spent elsewhere heh, heh!

Last edited by hydrashok : 14th April 2007 at 23:46.
Old 15th April 2007, 09:27   #92
BANNED

Wow!!
It seems as if your install never gets finalised. It gets upgraded to something better always.

Nice to hear that you have got your dream SUB doing duty in your car. And that Amp is a great piece too.
Would like to see some pics of how the amp is fitted in.

It's high time you get a basic digicam to click all the great ICE you've got.
Old 15th April 2007, 09:29   #93
Team-BHP Support

Small upgrade!! LOL!!!! Hydra looking good. Cant wait for the install pics. You really need to consider the drive to banaglore now.
Old 15th April 2007, 10:25   #94
BHPian

Congratualtions Hydra for the amazing sub section.

There are some points i would like to mention. Set the gain on the amp carefully for 4 ohm and 1 ohm load and also try and experiment box tunning by putting polyfill / glass wool in the box. Start by 400gms / cuft and see where it sounds the best by changing the quantity of polyfill / glass wool.

Also you will get better bass in sealed enclosure with subsonic filter off.

Last edited by Autophile : 15th April 2007 at 10:26.
Old 15th April 2007, 11:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, folks!

@ Zak, full pics by Wednesday for sure. Its a bit messy now with wires all 'round, so I don't want to post pics yet.

@ Vid, a drive to Bangy is something I'd really enjoy (the drive and meeting you guys), but my work won't let me grrrrr...

@ JB, thanks for all the help and the tips. It sounded great right after the amp was hooked up and the sub wired in I've already got polyfill in the box, but I don't know how much. I saw it being filled and I handled a bit of it, so I guess at least 300gms must have gone in (very approximate estimate). I'll check how much and do some experiment-giri.

The sub is running on 4 ohms now. I actually didn't try it on 1 ohm -- right now, I'm a little apprehensive about how the sub will handle 900w RMS at 1 ohm. But I will try it under uh, safe conditions, with my installer standing by.

I'm not sure how the subsonic filter is set. I'll check & turn it off if its on.

We double-checked the electricals after the new amp went in and I couldn't believe that they were real healthy (I'm always apprehensive of my battery -- I drive very little). Lights don't dim at full volume even with groundshaking numbers playing. I thank my stars (again) that I spent that extra money on good wiring 3 months ago.

It now seems I may need to do some more damping in the rear-most areas of roof (the old sub was just uhhh... f@rting compared to this one). But overall the car is holding up quite well to the abuse the sub is subjecting it to.

BTW, he (the installer) couldn't believe how great the sub was sounding. He's this big (as in HUGE) Alpine fan, (esp. the X types as far as subs are concerned). But no more after yesterday. He loved the way the sub kicks (He's an SQ guy at heart too), and he now wants to tune the entire system to perfection and that's why we didn't spend too much time yesterday night on the tuning. He was all pissed and stressed-out with 3 full scale from-scratch installs (not mine) yesterday. We started on mine only in the late evening. He was in no mood to run through his test CDs and finish the tuning work, spending an additional 2 hours or so. So I also felt it would be an intelligent thing to get him to do it first thing in the morning on Mon or Tue.

I also want to thank Gunbir for all his help. I pestered him quite a bit over the last month and he was quite patient with my stupid questions -- including changing plans in between and then changing them back

Last edited by hydrashok : 15th April 2007 at 11:36.
Old 15th April 2007, 14:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I also want to thank Gunbir for all his help. I pestered him quite a bit over the last month and he was quite patient with my stupid questions -- including changing plans in between and then changing them back
Arrey kya rey... Anup, you don't have to thank me for anything. Thats what I'm here for. The smile on your face when you play your music in your car is my reward.

And now, lets discuss the only thing that stands between you and a competition grade SQ system... the HU!!! Hmm... I know of an HX-D2 going cheap...

Old 15th April 2007, 15:18   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Arrey kya rey... Anup, you don't have to thank me for anything. Thats what I'm here for. The smile on your face when you play your music in your car is my reward.
Well, the smile is very much there -- ear to ear, and a bit more And a wide, stupid grin all the time now even when I'm out of the car (like I'm on speed or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
And now, lets discuss the only thing that stands between you and a competition grade SQ system... the HU!!! Hmm... I know of an HX-D2 going cheap...
No temptations please *shutting eyes tiiiiiggght* The next (and last) stage is definitely the HU. But not for another 5-6 months (I need time to recover), and then I need to sell my current HU & CD Changer.
Old 15th April 2007, 15:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

I cleaned up the boot a bit so I could take some snaps.

How the boot looks now:

[Once I sell the CD changer with the HU, I'll get the SRx4 (on the left) installed in the same height as the LRx1.4 (on the right). More floor area in the bottom of the boot helps give my family members an illusion of more space and that gives me more peace of mind when I have to open the boot for one of them ]

The IDQ & the LRx1.4:

The IDQ in its sealed box:

Last edited by hydrashok : 15th April 2007 at 15:58.
Old 15th April 2007, 16:01   #99
Senior - BHPian

hmmmmm....nice install neat and clean.....but I think one more upgrade is also required...it is just my suggestion do it if you like it.....the speaker amp.....you have installed a very good amp for the sub section.....when compared to the speaker one....the SRx is a good amp but when compared to the LRx it is a bit lower than that......

Other wise nice setup.........

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 15th April 2007 at 16:02.
Old 15th April 2007, 16:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

small eh? its a large dude!

some specs abt the amp pls.

#$%^&* damn! i envy u! jsut saw teh pic!

Last edited by jkdas : 15th April 2007 at 16:05.
Old 15th April 2007, 16:06   #101
Senior - BHPian

Right now running at 4 ohms.......
Old 15th April 2007, 16:17   #102
BHPian

I have a palio back in india.
Can u tell me why u picked up that particular sub over anything else.
I read somewhere its ur dream sub.
Incase i missed the point elsewhere, please point me to the right direction.

Overall ur installation looks neat and the tight bass, thanx to the solid build of the palio...
Only worried about the CD changer housed on the speaker column... the vibration in long run can really hurt them....
Good luck wit the next changes....

Back to ur sub decision, from the looks its not a high excursion sub...
So why Image dynamics

I am into custom audio been working on small scale projects hence the question...

Thankx
Old 15th April 2007, 16:41   #103
BHPian

Small, Hydra?? LOL
thats a very sweet upgrade you got there. Congrats! The IDQs are some of the best SQ subs.
Old 15th April 2007, 17:05   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done! So you finally got rid of that crappy kenwood sub and upgraded yourself. Well done indeed!
Old 15th April 2007, 18:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

Hydra: Many congratulations on the upgrade! I really hated the thought of a Kenwood sub in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
I also want to thank Gunbir for all his help
Congrats on the sticky underpants also, glad to know that long distance phone calls work for you.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks