Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 15:29   #256
Senior - BHPian

So much hoo-haa over a simple name

I was visiting my sister at her in-laws' place yesterday. We were watching cricket, and on one of the TV channels they announced a prize (for winning some cricket related contest) won by some dude called "Ashok from Hyderabad". I was totally in splits, and my sis's in-laws were giving me long looks

Really, you guys need to be given more work at office *shaking head* <smiley>

HU not installed yet. I tried to get them to do it today, but they're full-up today. Audition & install of HU tomorrow (I don't seem to have a lot of options to check out anyway). Will post pics tomorrow or the day after.

Last edited by hydrashok : 21st September 2007 at 15:35.
Old 21st September 2007, 16:15   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
So much hoo-haa over a simple name

I was visiting my sister at her in-laws' place yesterday. We were watching cricket, and on one of the TV channels they announced a prize (for winning some cricket related contest) won by some dude called "Ashok from Hyderabad". I was totally in splits, and my sis's in-laws were giving me long looks

Really, you guys need to be given more work at office *shaking head* <smiley>

HU not installed yet. I tried to get them to do it today, but they're full-up today. Audition & install of HU tomorrow (I don't seem to have a lot of options to check out anyway). Will post pics tomorrow or the day after.
hi anoop a.k.a. hydrashok a.k.a. ashok from hyderabad a.k.a. hydrash ok?(i know you are anoop from cochin)

are you going to do an ABX comparo? i was thinking of upgrading the HU so would like to know how it sounds. please give a detailed report of the sq and features one you have it installed.

thanks
clip
Old 21st September 2007, 18:48   #258
BHPian

wow,anup,so finally you are upgrading your H.U.let me know how good it sounds!!feeling really sad i wont be there for the 'first t-bhp performance' on saturday!!
Old 21st September 2007, 19:10   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post

are you going to do an ABX comparo? i was thinking of upgrading the HU so would like to know how it sounds. please give a detailed report of the sq and features one you have it installed.

Hiyah, Clip! It looks as though an ABX (with other brands) may not work out. Nothing much to compare with at my dealer :( I'm kinda tight for time now, and if I don't get the install done tomorrow, it will be a long time before I'll be able to do it. But I will be able to see if it sounds good to me or not, anyhow.

I will put up a initial impressions post on Sunday for sure.

@ Carfreak, hiyah, buddy! Where had you disappeared to? Long time! And thanks When are you in Kerala next?
Old 21st September 2007, 19:40   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Hiyah, Clip! It looks as though an ABX (with other brands) may not work out.
Hey, thats sad... was hoping to hear from you on the comparo. Still have my P-80 intact you see

Can't wait to hear from you after the new HU goes in. Knowing the way Zuhemi works, I am sure it will be a MAJOR improvement...

Wishing you even more leaky eyes tomorrow.
Old 21st September 2007, 20:09   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Hey, thats sad... was hoping to hear from you on the comparo. Still have my P-80 intact you see

Can't wait to hear from you after the new HU goes in. Knowing the way Zuhemi works, I am sure it will be a MAJOR improvement...

Wishing you even more leaky eyes tomorrow.
Thanks, buddy! You just wished me exactly what I'm looking forward to
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:35   #262
BHPian

So, what do you think of the 9887?
Old 22nd September 2007, 23:15   #263
BHPian

wow wow wow!!

Just back after a looooooong audition! All I can say is WOW!!!AMAZING SOUND!
Old 23rd September 2007, 07:14   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Just back after a looooooong audition! All I can say is WOW!!!AMAZING SOUND!
Am coming soon , by the way your avatar pic is looking too good .
Old 23rd September 2007, 07:25   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Am coming soon , by the way your avatar pic is looking too good .
you are tooooooo late dude! We had our ICE treat y'day itself! aaaaaaa.... relax... your sub is with me! so come... call me... treat me!
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:10   #266
Senior - BHPian

HU Upgrade completed!

What went in: Alpine 9887 & KCE-422i full-speed iPod cable. (And the HU came with a remote).
What went out: Blaupunkt Casablanca MP54 & Blaupunkt CDC-A03 10-CD Changer. (And MX aux-in EP to RCA cable for iPod connectivity).

Folks, I just love this HU (Alpine 9887). Upgrade got done yesterday, and the initial tuning was done by evening. I was at the installer's by 5.30PM, and started listening from then, till about 9.00PM. I just couldn't stop. I kept listening till 1.00AM after I got back home after driving around a bit with Zak and Nikki. I got up early today (6.00AM on a SUNDAY) and was listening to music till now.

I did not get to check-out any other comparable HU (nothing available). But I doubt if I'd have chosen any other one, after having listened o what this one can do.

I love the way the whole system sounds different now. The speakers (esp. the fronts), the amps, and the sub now have an all new life and music. Earlier, with the Blau, the sound-stage wasn't as high as it should be, and in some bits of music, the source of bits of vocals could be identified as coming from the mid-door level. Now the music is very very open, airy & detailed. The sound-stage is high and up-front, and wiiiiiiiiiiide! The music actually seems to be coming from outside the car, and if I close my eyes, it does not feel as though I'm sitting in an enclosed space.

If I'm playing a CD, the music sounds as good at very high volumes as it does at medium volumes. I found myself listening at much higher volumes than I usually do.

The mid-basses kick really meanly now. The sub kicks in only when needed, and then, only when the music needs it to support the fronts. The mids and highs are much, much smoother than with the old Blau.

Vocals come out much better. In some tracks where the vocals are in the foreground, it really does feel as though the singer is singing live, right into the car.

This is a bit controversial, but the difference between a CD and an MP3 (all were 256kbps) is crystal clear when played. MP3s lose out significantly in the midrange, and the highs sound uncomfortably shrill. This is the case of MP3s played on a CD. When I play the same MP3 from an iPod, the difference becomes even more clear. Tracks that can be listened to very comfortably when played from CD at very high volumes make me squirm in the seat (in discomfort) when played from the iPod. I dunno if this is that good a thing :(

It is funny, but the rears have also taken on a whole new life of their own. They do NOT disturb the front stage, but the rear-seat gives a wholly new & different listening experience. Nikki will attest to this. He preferred the rear-seat sound a whole lot, to the front seat experience. The difference (improvement) was quite clear to me too. It actually feels as though the rear seat & front seat are two totally different walled-off sound-zones.

I was listening straight to the system from 5.30PM to 9.00PM. Nikki got to the installer by about 6.30PM and Zak got there by about 8.30PM. I couldn't tear myself away and go say hi to Zak (who was talking to Zuheimi then).

I'm sure the system can sound even better I love the way its been set now, but a couple more tuning sessions will make it sound even better, I'm sure.

I'm changing the sub-box to a smaller one (.75 cuft) this weekend. The sub kicks really fast and hard now, but Zuheimi feels it will integrate even better with the midbasses and kick wayyyy tighter if we reduce the box volume a bit more. Definitely worth a try.

There is a bit of cosmetic work remaining in the boot to fill-up the gaping hole left by the changer that was taken out. That will also get done by this weekend.

I'll put up pics of the HU in the car taken in the daylight today. Pics of finished boot etc. by the weekend.

The stupid and ever-present grin is back on my face. And yes, I did have quite a few leaky-body-fluid-moments (see older posts during previous upgrade for details) while listening to the music yesterday & today.

And I'm closing the book on more upgrades. My ICE has come a full circle now. With this, every bit of ICE equipment in the car has been upgraded. This is the third and final version of my ICE (yes, now two full upgrades have been done since I bought the car).

No more. I'm a happy (albeit poorer) man.
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:35   #267
Senior - BHPian

Ah! enjoying ur new setup eh hydra?? Cant wait to hear it! Missed the 'icing' yesterday!!
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:43   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[b]And I'm closing the book on more upgrades. My ICE has come a full circle now. With this, every bit of ICE equipment in the car has been upgraded. This is the third and final version of my ICE (yes, now two full upgrades have been done since I bought the car).
even though i dont understand the head or tail of sound stage etc etc, one thing i can assure you, that you will not follow the above quote for long............... u will soon add something or the other

am placing a bet and if mods wants please add a poll, will hydra upgrade?

just matter of time he he.. anyways happy that you happy with ya ICE !!!

Old 23rd September 2007, 10:12   #269
BHPian

Quote:
HU Upgrade completed!

It is funny, but the rears have also taken on a whole new life of their own. They do NOT disturb the front stage,

(1) but the "rear-seat" gives a wholly new & different listening experience. Nikki will attest to this. He preferred the rear-seat sound a whole lot, to the front seat experience. The difference (improvement) was quite clear to me too.

(2) It actually feels as though the rear seat & front seat are two totally different walled-off sound-zones.
YES dudes! (1) Am still wondering about this! The sound improvement, quality, and the way the sub comliments the 'rear' music is AMAZING! We were playing at a sound level between 23-33..... not even a single instance did the sub irritated me! I never experienced this magic in any other installs.... usually the rear passengers go a bit uncomforatble whenever the sub kicks in high levels in these kinda high end SQ installs!
You really get to hear WHAT a music director contributed to his project. Really WONDER-FULL ICE!!

(2) This is the second wonder that happened after the upgrade! Now the sound at front and rear are totally differant! You easily get this differance when you swap the seats! Its like there is a clear partition exists between the front and rear seats!
Front is more "detailed" and the rear is "clear and pure" music!!

Nobody will expect such a 'day-night' differance only by changing the HU!!! This is a "magic install" to me and it haunted me the whole night and it still continues when I type this!

Great effort hydra... and the "mathai" spent is worth for an audiophile like you!

Last edited by nikkibike : 23rd September 2007 at 10:14.
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:25   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done Ashok!! I'm happy that you're happy.

Will wait for the next upgrade!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks