Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 10:12   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekanand005 View Post
It's got touch screen after reading this thread I thought to add Apple car play function officially . I enquired with Kun Motors Chennai for the official upgrade but they are saying it's not
Take mail ID of their service head and drop a mail with a copy to BMW India. You should get a positive answer. If in doubt, send me your VIN and I will get it validated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigr View Post
You could get it off people on bimmerpost forums or eBay or something like
I won’t get one unless it’s absolutely must and BMW refuses. Things can go bad, really bad. This is from my personal experience.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 10:22   #122
Team-BHP Support

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
I've got a BMW x5 f15 2018 August model PDE. It's got touch screen after reading this thread I thought to add Apple car play function officially . I enquired with Kun Motors Chennai for the official upgrade but they are saying it's not available for my model. Any suggestions and alternatives. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Get it coded, I think yours already has the hardware present for it. You could get it off people on bimmerpost forums or eBay or something like https://easyusbcoding.com/products/b...lay-activation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Take mail ID of their service head and drop a mail with a copy to BMW India. You should get a positive answer. If in doubt, send me your VIN and I will get it validated.

I won’t get one unless it’s absolutely must and BMW refuses. Things can go bad, really bad. This is from my personal experience.
+1 to Turbanator. Resort to coding only if all official channels fail. How much ever an expert the coder can be, there is still a probability of bricking the iDrive. Check out my below thread on the experiences I had while coding my friend's GT to enable CarPlay.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...w-3gt-f34.html (Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34))

I am still in talks with my dealer to get this officially done.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 10:50   #123
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the reply.Sure will try to connect with the service head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to Turbanator. Resort to coding only if all official channels fail. How much ever an expert the coder can be, there is still a probability of bricking the iDrive. Check out my below thread on the experiences I had while coding my friend's GT to enable CarPlay.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...w-3gt-f34.html (Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34))

I am still in talks with my dealer to get this officially done.
Any idea why they deny the service. in my case they are saying that my particular model is not supported but checking online forums with my VIN they say its possible.
Old 17th March 2020, 11:00   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea why they deny the service. in my case they are saying that my particular model is not supported but checking online forums with my VIN they say its possible.
It could mostly be lack of experience with the technician who is looking into this. Earlier, I think they were refusing this feature in cars that did not have WiFi antenna. But from posts from a few users in this thread shows that the WiFi antenna is also available as a spare part now.

An official mail to BMW may sort this out.

Last edited by graaja : 17th March 2020 at 11:01.
Old 17th March 2020, 13:37   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Only if you start messing with the VO (Vehicle Order). I know people end up messing with FSC + VO with experimental codings and getting their ECU toasted, but I don’t think CarPlay coding is anything risky.
Old 17th March 2020, 13:43   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only if you start messing with the VO (Vehicle Order). I know people end up messing with FSC + VO with experimental codings and getting their ECU toasted, but I don’t think CarPlay coding is anything risky.
On the contrary, it is very risky. I speak from experience. The simplest failure mechanism is when people did a USB based coding and BMW locked out code execution from USB after a particular firmware version. When the firmware is updated, all the FSC certificates coded from USB become invalid and it is not possible to do update through USB anymore.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:46   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unless you know what the other guy is going to do, it will be a risky affair. The thread by Graaja has many details. I have personally suffered and it was only due to some good guys at BMW who supported me that my losses were minimal. If you are comfortable, you can do multiple things and no one stops but for the normal joe like me, it's better to keep away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The simplest failure mechanism is when people did a USB based coding and BMW locked out code execution from USB after a particular firmware version. When the firmware is updated, all the FSC certificates coded from USB become invalid and it is not possible to do update through USB anymore.
Absolutely, the same thing happened to me. The India guy whom I had entrusted is a known figure in Mumbai and he had got the help of his friend in Goa who in turn got me hooked to someone in Ukraine. After a few hours, the guys simply vanished.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th March 2020 at 13:50.
Old 19th March 2020, 17:49   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey,

for benefits of others, I am posting the relevant Quote here. I will PM you details of the Service Advisor at Chandigarh. You can make your local SA speak to him. Or drive over & will get it done here..
Attached Thumbnails
Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade-screenshot-20200319-5.45.41-pm.png  

Old 19th March 2020, 19:45   #129
BHPian

Quote:
hey,

for benefits of others, I am posting the relevant Quote here. I will PM you details of the Service Advisor at Chandigarh. You can make your local SA speak to him. Or drive over & will get it done here..
Thank you very much for the help.
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:34   #130
BHPian

I’ve got it activated unofficially on my car and it’s fantastic. Been using it for over a year now. The only thing you need to be careful about is tell your service advisor to not update the software whenever you send it for service.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:58   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I've got a BMW x5 f15 2018 August model PDE. It's got touch screen after reading this thread I thought to add Apple car play function officially . I enquired with Kun Motors Chennai for the official upgrade but they are saying it's not available for my model. Any suggestions and alternatives. Thanks in advance.
I suggest you approach another dealership and request them to check again. If your car already has the required hardware, BMW will offer you Apple CarPlay for a fee. Its possible that the service station, you spoke with, may not have knowledgeable staff. Its worth checking with another service station.

Also, try writing directly to BMW India support team as well. They are always helpful.
aseemsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:17   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
I suggest you approach another dealership and request them to check again. If your car already has the required hardware, BMW will offer you Apple CarPlay for a fee. Its possible that the service station, you spoke with, may not have knowledgeable staff. Its worth checking with another service station.

Also, try writing directly to BMW India support team as well. They are always helpful.
Thank you for the suggestions. After showing them the quote acquired by @Turbanator now they are saying it's possible and they will do it. Only thing is they want to check wether wifi antenna is there in my model.Due to the current Corona situation I've not sent my vehicle and I will update once I get it fixed after the situation eases. And a special shout out to @Turbanator for helping me out by getting the quote using my VIN otherwise these guys would have been still bluffing.
vivekanand005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 14:35   #133
BHPian

So we got a 3GT Luxury Line in Dec'18. Been driving around for over a year without any Apple car play and really missing real time navigation, however the car went in for its first service about 3 months ago. incidentally I'd just switched to a new iPhone and when I paired it 3 days ago, it prompted the wireless car play option! Works like a charm, but I'm sort of confused now, did my previous device (iPhone 8) have an issue or did I just get a free upgrade when they updated the software during the service ?
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 14:44   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
So we got a 3GT Luxury Line in Dec'18.did I just get a free upgrade when they updated the software during the service ?
Most probably, your Iphone could be the culprit. You can decode VIN here and find out if it came equipped with Car Play, it should show- Preparation Apple CarPlay

https://www.mdecoder.com

BMW actually charges their dealerships for activating this, it's a complete process where a new VO is generated. So chances of getting it free with service are remote.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 18:47   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
So we got a 3GT Luxury Line in Dec'18. Been driving around for over a year without any Apple car play and really missing real time navigation, however the car went in for its first service about 3 months ago. incidentally I'd just switched to a new iPhone and when I paired it 3 days ago, it prompted the wireless car play option! Works like a charm, but I'm sort of confused now, did my previous device (iPhone 8) have an issue or did I just get a free upgrade when they updated the software during the service ?
Most likely, you car already had it (assuming it was not manufactured a long before you bought it in Dec '18). BMW added Carplay in 3 series sedan (Luxury Line) in 2018 model year. A friend of mine has a 320d he bought in August 2018, and that has Carplay already included. And it is most likely that they added this in 3GT too, when they added it is 3 sedan. In fact, the brochure of 3 sedan as of April 2018 already mentions CarPlay in Luxury Line.

So your car, assuming it was manufactured in later part of 2018, must have this feature too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks