Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 08:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: R340G head-unit in my Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Thank you so much for this thread. Very interesting move by VW to omit Reverse camera feature which was present in 330G. Can't understand the logic. What happens when you reverse the car? Do you get any optical parking display mentioning distance to object etc?
Even with the earlier RCD330G on the GT TSI, there was no reverse camera. Ameo with the same HU had a reverse camera. Same is the case with this new HU.

When we reverse, we just get the audio feedback
Old 15th September 2017, 10:04   #17
BHPian

Re: Android Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by genopv View Post
Music: by default opens Google Music. Possibly Android Auto doesn't support iTunes now. It supports Spotify, but Spotify doesn't work in India and I don't find the app too in Play Store. Would be good to have Saavn / Gaana available.
Gaana is available on Android Auto. Its one of the only streaming apps other than Google Play Music available for Android Auto.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 20:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by genopv View Post
Looks like another fantastic player. But I use iTunes / Saavn to stream and this too doesn't seem to support them?
Apple CarPlay shiould work with iTunes - Saavn isnt supported by both Android or Apple though. I think Gaana works with Android Auto
Old 15th September 2017, 21:53   #19
BHPian

Took delivery of my Vento TSI today. Reverse camera works fine along with this head unit. Also Android auto rocks. I took my car delivery in Coimbatore and had a hotel booking in Salem. Moment I turned on android auto it showed me the route to Salem. Agree with genopv. Need saavn here.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 17:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can we play music from SD card while using Maps through Android Auto? Will the system pause the music when Maps gives instructions?

Also is it possible to install it in the older cars? Like 2014 and before? If yes, can we do it in the SC?

Noob here.
Old 17th September 2017, 19:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can we play music from SD card while using Maps through Android Auto? Will the system pause the music when Maps gives instructions?

Also is it possible to install it in the older cars? Like 2014 and before? If yes, can we do it in the SC?

Noob here.

As far i know System will pause music (or at least will reduce) when Maps Give Instructions. I have the older model for my GT TSI (2016)
and for that song volume used to reduce whenever we make or take calls through Bluetooth.So same Should be applicable with the maps also.

I am not sure as my model did not have Apple car play and Android one.

Only Mirror Link Was there, Which i have never used till date

More Experienced Bhpians please correct me if this is wrong.

Anyways Congrats on the your Polo GT TSI. Its the best Hatch back in terms of performance which is available in India (Period) within that segment.

Its really a fun Car for car enthusiasts, (Hatchback).I just love the sound of the turbo spooling when we drive in Sports mode.

If Possible please share the exterior pics of the car (Mine is Red colour)

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 17th September 2017 at 19:30.
Old 18th September 2017, 18:49   #22
BHPian

Got my Vento TSI last friday with this Head unit. Few observations.

Reverse camera works flawlessly. Picture clarity is good and you get the green and red lines for marking.

Android Auto is integrated very well. I had a reservation in GRT Salem and the reservation details from booking.com were on my Gmail. The moment I fired up the HU from the dealership in coimbatore it straight showed 3 hrs to Salem (you have a reservation here). I was like

Ok Google rocks. Recognizes, Indian, voice commands very well.

Google play music is very bad. Counter intuitive. Too complicated to use. I downloaded a 'station' for the drive but had no idea how to choose that from the HU. I had to stop the car, unplug the phone, start the music station manually and then replug the USB cable. Phew! Too much work. And when I stop the car and pull the phone out it blares out the music for a second and then stops.

Apple carplay is good too but without Google maps it is like yet another HU which can play music from your phone. Music part is sorted out on iPhone but navigation is not. Google maps is not compatible. One work around is open the map on the iPhone and then play music. The music volume reduces whenever there is a navigation call out. Not an ideal solution but better than nothing. And lesser said about 'Hey Siri' better it is. Just does not recognize my accent. Though Saavn is not supported, yet, the music does play on the car stereo. One can use the steering wheel controls to navigate the playlist, play, pause etc. I had a webex call and tried streaming the audio but it did not work. Since I was in a hurry did not try via bluetooth. This used to work on my previous HU Blaupunkt 845. Need to explore further on this, skype, whatsapp audio call etc.

Best would be google enabling iTunes on Android Auto or Apple allowing Google maps on Carplay. I tried connecting iPhone via bluetooth and Android device via USB. To see if music can be played via bluetooth and navigation via Android Auto. Does not work. Should try with the SD card next.

But overall for bringing this HU to cars like Polo and Vento. The issues I listed are platform specific and nothing specific to the HU.

Last edited by prabhuferrari : 18th September 2017 at 18:52. Reason: Missed out webex
prabhuferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 12:20   #23
BHPian

Interesting, looks like it's an improved version of the 330G. Wondering if we can swap the units directly with the existing wiring harness for those of us who want to upgrade?
Old 21st September 2017, 13:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Vento TSI last friday with this Head unit. Few observations.

Reverse camera works flawlessly. Picture clarity is good and you get the green and red lines for marking.

Android Auto is integrated very well. I had a reservation in GRT Salem and the reservation details from booking.com were on my Gmail. The moment I fired up the HU from the dealership in coimbatore it straight showed 3 hrs to Salem (you have a reservation here). I was like

Ok Google rocks. Recognizes, Indian, voice commands very well.

Google play music is very bad. Counter intuitive. Too complicated to use. I downloaded a 'station' for the drive but had no idea how to choose that from the HU. I had to stop the car, unplug the phone, start the music station manually and then replug the USB cable. Phew! Too much work. And when I stop the car and pull the phone out it blares out the music for a second and then stops.

Apple carplay is good too but without Google maps it is like yet another HU which can play music from your phone. Music part is sorted out on iPhone but navigation is not. Google maps is not compatible. One work around is open the map on the iPhone and then play music. The music volume reduces whenever there is a navigation call out. Not an ideal solution but better than nothing. And lesser said about 'Hey Siri' better it is. Just does not recognize my accent. Though Saavn is not supported, yet, the music does play on the car stereo. One can use the steering wheel controls to navigate the playlist, play, pause etc. I had a webex call and tried streaming the audio but it did not work. Since I was in a hurry did not try via bluetooth. This used to work on my previous HU Blaupunkt 845. Need to explore further on this, skype, whatsapp audio call etc.

Best would be google enabling iTunes on Android Auto or Apple allowing Google maps on Carplay. I tried connecting iPhone via bluetooth and Android device via USB. To see if music can be played via bluetooth and navigation via Android Auto. Does not work. Should try with the SD card next.

But overall for bringing this HU to cars like Polo and Vento. The issues I listed are platform specific and nothing specific to the HU.

Try Gaana on Android Auto, pretty good.
Old 27th September 2017, 17:22   #25
BHPian

Booked a Ameo DSG highline plus on 9th September and vehicle has reached stock yard today.

It was a May 2017 manufactured one and has old 330G, which really pissed me off.
Even the new brochure has pictures of RCD 340G and the specs read Android Auto.

I've put the delivery on hold and the dealership insists, VW has not started production of Ameo with new player. Mails to VW are useless, as they are in turn redirected to dealership asking me to deal with them.

Last edited by sriharsha_m87 : 27th September 2017 at 17:37.
Old 27th September 2017, 23:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
I've put the delivery on hold and the dealership insists, VW has not started production of Ameo with new player. Mails to VW are useless, as they are in turn redirected to dealership asking me to deal with them.
Hi,

This is really disappointing. If you are not in a hurry you should cancel booking and try again later.

Are you sure this vehicle came from factory? Its already three months old.

Regards.
Old 28th September 2017, 00:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

This is really disappointing. If you are not in a hurry you should cancel booking and try again later.

Are you sure this vehicle came from factory? Its already three months old.

Regards.
Not 100% sure about it, but it did come in a container from Chennai and the factory paint protection sheets are still on. I'm assuming it's probably sitting in their inventory for long.

I ideally wanted my dad to pickup either Vento DSG or GT TSI, but since I already have a Vento TSI, he thought of getting either the GT TSI or the Ameo DSG. Dad liked Ameo more and so we booked it. Had it been a Polo or Vento even they are 100% sure about it coming with RCD 340G.

Sales manager keeps saying that the Ameo with RCD 340G is not yet into production. On giving an ultimatum that I'm going to cancel the booking, they shot mails to VW sales team regarding my concern, but no response from them either.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
Booked a Ameo DSG highline plus on 9th September and vehicle has reached stock yard today.

It was a May 2017 manufactured one and has old 330G, which really pissed me off.
Even the new brochure has pictures of RCD 340G and the specs read Android Auto.

Hey I faved same situation with Sundaram for my Vento TSI. They were trying to push old model. I canceled booking and spoke to Ramani volkswagen in Coimbatore. They had the car and I got a new one right away. Drove down from Coimbatore with temporary registration. Check it out. If you need more details PM me. Please don't get old one. New HU is worth it just for the android auto and CarPlay.
Old 28th September 2017, 11:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I faved same situation with Sundaram for my Vento TSI. They were trying to push old model. I canceled booking and spoke to Ramani volkswagen in Coimbatore. They had the car and I got a new one right away. Drove down from Coimbatore with temporary registration. Check it out. If you need more details PM me. Please don't get old one. New HU is worth it just for the android auto and CarPlay.
Ah, I fought it out with them but my dad was keen on having the car for Dussera. So all the efforts were in vain.

I was adamant even if my dad wasn't keen because I'd have at least swapped in onto my Vento.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:40   #30
BHPian

I have an April 2016 GT TSI. I do not get the option of Apple car play in the car. I remember the dealer telling me that the system didn’t have Apple support at time of purchase but was expected. Do I need to upgrade the software on the head unit ? Can that be done by self ? Pls advise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks