Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 21:14   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity

After listening to the stock ICE for sometime, I was sure that an upgrade was going to happen. So, as a first step, thought of upgrading the HU and also started a discussion on the speakers etc. in parallel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post3273088

Courtesy

First of all, a big thanks to the 2 main BHPians who helped me out.

amolpol - He was kind enough to help me audition the ICE setup on his Fortuner. Also gave me some important tips from his experience.

DerAlte - He was patient enough to help me out with my silly doubts which helped quite a lot.

unni.ak - My good friend & fellow BHPian who helped me a lot and spent almost 1 whole day with me for the installation, and later helped tune the HU settings to my likes & finally making the happiness visible on my face.

Thanks to all my fellow BHPians who contributed to the thread and made my decision easy.

Decision on the Components

First of all, I wasn't an audiophile and all I knew is that I wanted to hear good music with decent bass. So started off hearing an ICE setup on a Swift which had Ground Zero components installed. Though I liked the loudness, I wasn't that happy with the clarity of sound.

Then came the invitation from amolpol to try audition the ICE Setup in his Fortuner (Infinity Kappa components, along with Ground Zero Sub & Blaupunkt Amp or so).

However, I wanted to audition the Focals as well, but could not get an opportunity. So started going through the threads in the audio section.

Finally, I was sure Infinity Kappa series is going top on my list, as I didn't want to go with something I could not audition.

Decision on the buy & the installer

So the hunt & price check on components starts with some of the recommended retailers/installers in Bangalore. Prices just went over my head. So here comes to my rescue a website www.snapdeal.com . The experience was pleasant and also got some good discounts on some of the components.

Once I decided on the components, the next question was the installer.

Though there were a couple of recommended shops in Bangalore and I have had good experiences with them in the past, I thought of trying Evo managed by Satya (I had read mixed reviews from the threads).

ICE Components

Head Unit : Pioneer AVH X8590BT - Rs 35,000/-
Front & Rear Components : Infinity Kappa 60.11cs -270W-Rs 13,873/- [2 pairs]
4 Channel Amplifier : Infinity Kappa 4 Channel Class D -1200W-Rs 11,000/- [Ordered from Delhi]
Mono Channel Amplifier : Infinity Kappa 1 Channel Class D -1600W-Rs 11,467/-

Sub Woofer : Infinity Kappa 120.9W -1400W -Rs 10,042/-
Damping : American Damping -6 pcs -Rs 15,000/-

Wiring :

Acustika 4 Gauge Amp Kit -Rs 4,000/-
Acustika - A-VH5M -Rs 6,00/-

MDF Speaker Rings : 4 Nos -Rs 6,00/-
MDF Subwoofer Box: -Rs 1,500/-
Labour Charge: -Rs 1,250/-

TOTAL COST - Rs 1,04,332/-

Installation experience - Based on my discussion with Satya, he had asked me to come over to his shop by 12:00 pm on 26th April 2014. Myself along with BHPian unni.ak reached the shop on time.

However, since Satya was busy with some other engagement, he got delayed by an hour.

Finally the installation started at around 1:30 pm and went on till 09:30 pm, as there was only a single guy who was concentrating on my car and just another person to help him. After the installation was 80% complete, it was understood that the guys installing had used 2-4 Gauge Kits from the battery. On finding that, Satya had asked the guys to get a single connection from the battery and use a distribution block which took another 20-30 minutes.

Overall, I would give 4/5 for the installation and 3.5/5 for my dealership experience mainly due to the attention on the work.

Listening experience - After the installation was over at around 09:00 pm , Satya had tuned the Amps etc. and there was some issue with the components in the front door. Finally on inspection, it was found that there was some problem with one of the crossovers when the box was tightened with 2 screws, so finally had to have it installed with one screw and fix it tight with some damping material.

I was sitting at the back when the sound was played and things seemed to look fine. Since we were tired by that time, did not want to spend more time. Sitting on the front seat and listening, it was somehow felt that the sound was coming from the rear which made me feel awkward after spending a bomb shell.

Later, I spent a day with bhpian unni.ak, downloaded a set of songs and he helped me tuning it to my preferenace. Finally, we understood why that ‘sound from back’ sensation was being felt. It was the front tweeters which were the culprit. The tweeter in itself had a mesh - followed by the custom mesh which comes with the vehicle - almost leaving no sound outside. This was later fixed by the guys at Satya's shop itself, though had to face a couple of hurdles since I lost the flush mount in the shop and had to keep searching for alternatives.

Finally, I'm really happy now and feel that the setup is worth every penny, making it so pleasing to the ears.... hearing minute details as well. Needless to say, the subwoofer digs really deep and sounds perfect with a perfectly tight bass.

Let the pictures speak -

At Satya's shop 'EVO' .
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_153317.jpg

The Audio Components going in.
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140417_113752.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_172025.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_160335.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_172217.jpg

The Stock Speaker [20 W, 4 Ohms] & tweeters with plastic sheet damping
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_141129.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-untitled.jpg

The damping & the wire pull out process
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_154324.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_160318.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_180247.jpg

unni.ak overlooking the install.
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_180232.jpg

And the final click for the installation day
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140426_213423.jpg

The ICE in action
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-20140427_140117.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3210.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3218.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3217.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3223.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3225.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3230.jpg
Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity-img_3241.jpg

Here you go with some videos

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2014 at 12:11. Reason: Typos
BIBIN004 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 22:23   #2
BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity

Honestly, holy grail.
This setup sounds amazing, love the clarity too. I could hear it clear from hear!
Congratulations again. And all the best for future upgrades, because they will come soon too
devilwearsprada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the setup, Enjoy the music.

The rear components appear to be very low in height. My guess is that those at the rear would feel the singer is sitting on their lap. Did you experience the same?
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 09:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the setup. I can imagine how good it must be inside the car, considering the sound is pretty crisp in the video itself.

BTW, that gear level can be seen vibrating!
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 10:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bibin,

Super upgrade! I like the clarity and the depth from the video.

So the rear passenger door pads are cut to install the tweeters?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:33   #6
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity

Mod Note : Post deleted. Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2014 at 12:18.
lone_driver is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2014, 19:04   #7
P76
BHPian

Hi Bibin, good comprehensive install for the Fortuner. Have you linked the Steering mounted controls, please post details of hardware used.

BTW, are you satisfied about the products obtained online? (no offence intended, as I had a bitter experience with a seller in an online purchase)
P76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 21:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congratulations on the setup, Enjoy the music.

The rear components appear to be very low in height. My guess is that those at the rear would feel the singer is sitting on their lap. Did you experience the same?
Thanks a bunch Abhinav. Well, to be frank I feel that the tweeters are well placed and gives the correct sound since it's a flush mount pointed upwards, unless I look downwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Congratulations on the setup. I can imagine how good it must be inside the car, considering the sound is pretty crisp in the video itself.

BTW, that gear level can be seen vibrating!
Thanks Shreyans, The gear lever vibrating is Toyota's unique feature wherein the same doubles up as a hand massager

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Bibin,

Super upgrade! I like the clarity and the depth from the video.

So the rear passenger door pads are cut to install the tweeters?
Yes Sri, the door pads had to be pierced slightly to take the tweeters in, but the guys did a pretty decent job that it does not look like an aftermarket fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
Hi Bibin, good comprehensive install for the Fortuner. Have you linked the Steering mounted controls, please post details of hardware used.

BTW, are you satisfied about the products obtained online? (no offence intended, as I had a bitter experience with a seller in an online purchase)
Thanks my friend. The steering mounted control did not work on its own and I had to install an adapter AXXESS [http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...oducts_id=197] which costed somewhere around Rs 4500/- or so.

Regarding the products obtained online, I'm pretty much satisfied except for that cross over which anyway can be rectified over warranty. Most of my stuffs came from the same dealer itself.
BIBIN004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 07:25   #9
BHPian

I've listened to the set up Bibin has in his TFort, and it really does sound awesome. Easily the best I've heard in recent times. There is no boomy bass that has come to characterize most audio installs now a days, and the high notes are crystal clear. Money well spent! :-)
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 09:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sri, the door pads had to be pierced slightly to take the tweeters in, but the guys did a pretty decent job that it does not look like an aftermarket fitment
I agree, the finish is perfect. The infinity stickers do the branding job, well too
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 10:14   #11

Congratulations for the rocking setup!
Please let me know how do you like the sub, since it is on my list for the next ICE.
Enjoy!!
199SAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 11:12   #12
BHPian

That's quite a premium list of hardware BIBIN04! The job done looks neat especially the tweeter placement. I understand the installation day pressure as after spending a good amount (which is usually above our initial ICE budget) we have a fear of "what if" the system does not sound the I want it to be.

As most of the installers goof up the work with full of confidence and conviction and it becomes difficult to deal with them and make them understand your expectations. I hope you are fully satisfied with the outcome.
Cheers!
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 11:44   #13
BHPian

Nice Install. Congratulations!!! Must be sounding great. Mate but BT8590 at 35k is too much. Does this came with IPOD cables as well? If not then have you fixed the IPOD cable? What is the cost of the cable?
I fixed the same in the month of Nov 2013 at the cost of 29k here in mumbai. And now one of my friend fixed the same at 27k.
Achilless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 22:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199SAM View Post
Congratulations for the rocking setup!
Please let me know how do you like the sub, since it is on my list for the next ICE.
Enjoy!!
Thanks mate. The Sub is a good one if you are looking for tight bass. However I would recommend you check out a couple of others and select the one which suits your taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
That's quite a premium list of hardware BIBIN04! The job done looks neat especially the tweeter placement. I understand the installation day pressure as after spending a good amount (which is usually above our initial ICE budget) we have a fear of "what if" the system does not sound the I want it to be.

As most of the installers goof up the work with full of confidence and conviction and it becomes difficult to deal with them and make them understand your expectations. I hope you are fully satisfied with the outcome.
Cheers!
Thanks Sudeep. You are totally right. The smile on you face and happiness in your heart only comes once you get to hear stuffs playing upright. Yes I'm completely satisfied till time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
Nice Install. Congratulations!!! Must be sounding great. Mate but BT8590 at 35k is too much. Does this came with IPOD cables as well? If not then have you fixed the IPOD cable? What is the cost of the cable?
I fixed the same in the month of Nov 2013 at the cost of 29k here in mumbai. And now one of my friend fixed the same at 27k.
Many thanks. The breakdown of prices for the HU are is as follows which I wanted to put across but the 'edit' button disappeared by then.

HU :- Rs 28,500 [purchased in October 2013]
AXXESS Steering interface control :- Rs 4,500
Headunit Panel adapator - Rs 1,200
Reverse Camera Adapter - Rs 8,00

Total cost Rs 35,000/

No, I donot have an interface cable. This would cost somewhere around Rs 6,500/- or so in India. Better to get it from US or so.
Old 21st May 2014, 10:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
Thanks mate. The Sub is a good one if you are looking for tight bass. However I would recommend you check out a couple of others and select the one which suits your taste.
Did you order to sub from Snapdeal?

Can you list the items which you purchased online?

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 21st May 2014 at 10:41. Reason: Removing repetitive ques

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks