Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 12:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner ICED - Sounds of Infinity

That's a very nice ice setup you've got! How's the experience after the damping? Has the outside noice reduced dramatically or is it a minor change? Have you tried driving without the music system on to check the quietness levels?
Old 21st May 2014, 14:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Did you order to sub from Snapdeal?

Can you list the items which you purchased online?
Yes I did, The SubWoofer,Mono Amp & the Components were sourced from Snapdeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
That's a very nice ice setup you've got! How's the experience after the damping? Has the outside noice reduced dramatically or is it a minor change? Have you tried driving without the music system on to check the quietness levels?
Thanks nishanth.I have felt that the music has become more clear and the sound from outside has reduced pretty well.

However to be honest ,I have not tried with the music system off so would be hard to judge,but I feel a small reduction in the engine noise outside than I used to hear earlier.
BIBIN004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
Yes I did, The SubWoofer,Mono Amp & the Components were sourced from Snapdeal.
Congrats BIBIN, What type of music do you listen to ? do you have more pictures taken on the electricals side how power is extracted from the LA battery leads directly to power the Sub Woofer Amplifier.

Have you confirmed once on the factory warranty part, though we are all aware that as long as we don't touch cut or strip any part of the factory wiring harness we are good, but again the power extraction from battery can in fact put a load on the alternator directly or indriectly, will that not be a point for the SA to complain breach of warranty as part of 3rd party ICE install
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 15:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Congrats BIBIN, What type of music do you listen to ? do you have more pictures taken on the electricals side how power is extracted from the LA battery leads directly to power the Sub Woofer Amplifier.

Have you confirmed once on the factory warranty part, though we are all aware that as long as we don't touch cut or strip any part of the factory wiring harness we are good, but again the power extraction from battery can in fact put a load on the alternator directly or indriectly, will that not be a point for the SA to complain breach of warranty as part of 3rd party ICE install
As far as I know, wiring harnesses were used and no wires cut and hence this should not void warranty. However I have not checked with Toyota dealership on this and hence I'm not sure on that.But I have seen quite a lot of vehicles in the SC for regular service who have got high end installs along with headrest monitor etc. I believe even some of the showrooms do ICE installation.Never heard of any SA complaining against a void warranty till time though.
BIBIN004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 09:39   #20

Sir, I just noticed that the sub is rated 350W RMS and the amp is 500W RMS.
I think it is bad to overpower, please correct me if I am wrong?
199SAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199SAM View Post
I'm not an expert in this matter. However I think if the amp is rated higher, the gains need to be turn down to limit the output on the amp so that the sub is not overpowered.

Last edited by BIBIN004 : 25th May 2014 at 14:44. Reason: typos
BIBIN004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 23:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199SAM View Post
Speakers draw the power they need, so it is always better to have a amp rated higher than the speaker's power rating. If the amp is underrated and the speakers are loaded, then it could make the amp to either trip if it has a safety mode or burn. With a higher rated amp you just need to set the gains low which again is good as it will reduse the chances of bringing in floor noise.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
... the gains need to be turn down to limit the output on the amp so that the sub is not overpowered.
The absence of the sub should be felt more than it's presence. If one tunes it like that, there is a massive headroom available to handle low bass. It depends on sensitivity of sub, or how loud the sub sounds. One needs to reduce gain only if one hears slapping (sub reaching end of travel) in the sub at high volume. Otherwise, under normal listening conditions one doesn't have to worry about gain. The amp usually pushes 100-130W through sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
Speakers draw the power they need, so it is always better to have a amp rated higher than the speaker's power rating. If the amp is underrated and the speakers are loaded, then it could make the amp to either trip if it has a safety mode or burn. With a higher rated amp you just need to set the gains low which again is good as it will reduse the chances of bringing in floor noise.
Incorrect - that is a non-technical explanation. A speaker is a *passive* element, and doesn't *draw* any more or less power. It is the amp which pushes current through the speaker coil based on the impedance of the coil, and the volume level set at HU (in effect, signal level at Pre-out). This current passing through the coil gets converted into sound, with loudness based on sensitivity of the speaker

* It doesn't matter if the speaker power rating is less or more than amp, or even if the amp is rated much more than the speaker

* Amp trips *only* if the device temperature at heat sink exceeds a set value (harmful for the device if it is exceeded). This tripping is reversible, and the amp comes back on after the temperature comes down. This can happen even if the heat sink is dirty, and not necessarily if the power pushed through speakers exceeds a limit

* Whether one has to set gain low or high depends on the Pre-out signal of the HU. It has nothing to do with the amp power rating

* There are 2 ratings of an amp. One where the ouput severely distorts, and another where the device can blow. At the first limit, the output is so bad that one would wish to jump out of the car. The second limit is associated with the thermal cutout - assumes you have not already jumped out of the car when the first limit was crossed

* If the speaker is rated higher than the amp, neither the amp not the speakers will suffer. The listener will, since the amp output will severely distort at it's max rating. The amp will only push current to whatever level it can. No one listens to a system at that condition - it is a guidance value

* If the amp is rated much higher than a speaker, one stands the chance of hearing speaker distortion (reaching end of travel of cone, non-linear cone excursion, etc.) if the power being pushed by amp is too much for speaker to handle. Amp will never distort or trip in this condition

* "Floor noise" in the output is inaudible in a car, which is inherently a very noisy environment. One need not worry about it. The floor and door surface of the car makes much more noise on the road
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 13:06   #24
BHPian

I don't want to get into an argument.
You have detailed what I have summarised.
Speaker is loaded through the amplifier is what I have mentioned in the post and not vice versa as you have deciphered.
Amps that are rated higher than the speakers are always a safer bet as it leaves a lot of headroom.
Every amp has a SNR ratio, the higher the better, by floor noise I did not mean the physical noise generated in a running car but exceeding the SNR in higher than optimal gain setting which is likely to be set when the RMS rating of the speakers exceed the amplifier RMS rating.
Old 15th June 2014, 21:29   #25

Bibin - congrats on your upgrade. As music aficionado, and one who listens to music in his car most of the time, I would love to do what you have done. However, I do not think I would be able to bear the sight of someone stripping down my Fortuner like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Incorrect - that is a non-technical explanation.
Well Der Alter and GKannan - Your posts transport me back to my physics class!

My question, if the amp is rated higher than the speakers what is the risk of blowing the speakers?
Old 16th June 2014, 14:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knganapathy View Post
... if the amp is rated higher than the speakers what is the risk of blowing the speakers?
That is governed by your ears, and what is in between.

In the region where the amp can overextend the speaker (drive so much power that the cone excursion is more than what it was designed for), the music is no longer music - it is a cacophony of distorted sound. The speaker would still be some time away from the point that the voice coil would be burnt. But, by that time - if you are a keen listener of music - your mind will be fried by the noise!

If one's mind is not affected by this noise, a short while later one can hear the speaker say "He Raaaaaam" and silence after that (it is actually a loud Phut ).
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the install.
I'm looking to upgrade my audio on the fortuner.

Questions

1)XAV-712BT -> was this considered ? looks enticing with its sensitive touch and decent display.

2)AXESSS interface, will it work with the above Sony head unit to enable connectivity with the steering wheels interface.

Also I don't mind using the factory head unit , as I'm not particular about video on the HU and serves my purpose.

would it be possible to have a similar setup as yours minus the head unit with the existing head unit.
vinaydas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 11:16   #28
BHPian

Fortuner 2019 Audio Unit Upgrade

Hi.
I find it extremely sad that after spending 40 lacs on a car I get an audio system of the early 2000s. when i got the car in 2019 i was like, chalo koi nahien dekh lenge. But now when my wife swift has android auto and i have to use a mobile holder for maps and Spotify with a very poor sound system, it hurts.

I need some help, which audio head unit with android auto can i replace the stock unit with? which speakers can i replace with stock. I do not want an amp set up, just component speakers at best of superior quality. I am also thinking of getting some dampening done so that the sound is better.

Any recommendations of where i can get this done in Delhi? I had visited a few outlets but could not get the confidence of the right audio head unit which will fit exact. Also someone tried to palm off a used one as new. SO please can you give RELIABLE people in Delhi. Also it would be great if people could let me know which is the brand and model that can be used in place of the stock unit. Also any recommendations on component speaker brands and models. Many thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 11:56   #29
BHPian

Re: Fortuner 2019 Audio Unit Upgrade

Try motor concept in delhi, quite reliable. The speakers depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 9th March 2022, 13:38   #30
BHPian

Re: Fortuner 2019 Audio Unit Upgrade

Mine is a 2019 Crysta and I believe the Fortuner came with similar head unit. So until you figure out the best replacement, you can experiment on the existing head unit, here is my previous post on this forum which states how to leverage mirrorlink for pretty much similar functions. Of course it has limitations which are stated there in some subsequent posts.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th March 2022 at 08:46. Reason: Link corrected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks