Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2006, 16:12   #271
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there is lots of stuff involved, S/N ratios, THD, quality of the amp stage, etc.

There may be a way, but you would need the tech. details. Typically it may all be one big IC to save on costs.
Old 29th September 2006, 16:17   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Does the HU output quality deteriorates at a higher volume (the internal amp can't handle it) or at lower volume also?

If at higher volume, Is it ok if I use say fixed lower volume on HU and high gain on amp and use a remote volume control on amp???

Is there a way to (disect the HU and) extract the signal from the CD player before it reaches the internal amp?
you dont have to worry about this. the speaker level to line level adapter will ensure that even at full volume your HU will not be stressed (atleast it wont be wanting for more power).

the higher the gain on the amp the more the noise you can induce so keep the gain level below 70% fo full gain.

you have to very adept at electronics to make a line level out from the OE HU. besides to do this you have to remove the HU from the car and my fer is that you might not be able to install it back again properly.
Old 29th September 2006, 16:37   #273
BANNED

I doublely agree what NavinJi had to say.

You should get the HU out of the car with the help from Honda Service. Take it to a nice Alpine service guy, tell them to make 3 pre-outs in it. And pay whatever it may cost.
There goes!!!! You're sitting with an Alpine HU with 3 pre-outs. Bingo!!!!!

And get back to Honda Service and tell them to fix the HU back. And enjoy the sound.
Old 29th September 2006, 16:57   #274
Senior - BHPian

Lol... Honda service guys... you must be kidding...
Anyway, I can take the HU out myself, have been reading a lot of DIY lately

Is there any Alpine service center in Bangalore...? (Honda guys say that for any thing related to Audio system they will have to send the unit to Delhi)!

Speedzak, This is a good idea. Do the DIY experts feel it (removing RCAs out of the OEM HU) is doable & worth it (as compared to using RCA convertors)???
Old 29th September 2006, 17:14   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Speedzak, This is a good idea. Do the DIY experts feel it (removing RCAs out of the OEM HU) is doable & worth it (as compared to using RCA convertors)???
I had done this with a clarion HU which cam along the maruti 800 (model 1986) it had a radio in the dash and a casstte player in the console....I opened the hu to use the amp inside the hu to connect the discman to it....the result was very good at that time......

every thing is possible but one need time and patience to achive it....DIY is not everyone's bread.....and is not easy as it sounds.....
Old 29th September 2006, 17:26   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
you dont have to worry about this. the speaker level to line level adapter will ensure that even at full volume your HU will not be stressed (atleast it wont be wanting for more power).
Most speaker to line level converters don't have very high power input capacity. Some use a pot to vary the reistance based on the input power, these are better suited. However, it is still always possible for a line-out converter to get a clipped signal from the HU based on how loud the HU has been turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
the higher the gain on the amp the more the noise you can induce so keep the gain level below 70% fo full gain.
In my opinion, it is better to leave the head unit level a bit lower than normal and increase the gain a bit to avoid clipping and/ or distortion due to the inability of the line out converter to handle that much power considering they're just passive resistive devices. Increasing the gain has no direct effect on sound quality, except that the S/N ratio is more vulnerable, but this can be avoided/ minimized by using good quality signal cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Take it to a nice Alpine service guy, tell them to make 3 pre-outs in it.
Nice Alpine Service Guy = David Blaine?

Just kidding, could be possible. Although not sure it'll take an Alpine guy to do it. Should try it with the next Civic I get my hands on.
Old 29th September 2006, 18:33   #277
Senior - BHPian

http://www.scosche.com/press_room.aspx

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/index.php

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...lName=Civic+Si

Last edited by binz : 29th September 2006 at 18:40.
Old 29th September 2006, 18:59   #278
Senior - BHPian

HOlly mother of god!!
St-If you love your car take it to jb\bungir\sam\navin\etc and get this done...Imo,worth any anount spent!

Hell it was all done by some highly experienced,jobless guy but look at the quality!!

Pls have a look at this thread on the following forum

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67759

I took a lot of trouble in looking for ways to help you out.So please thank me and show your appriciation by taking me for a spin

Binz
Old 29th September 2006, 19:30   #279
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys sorry for this but just could resist.Since this thread is about civic audio,might as well post the pics as direct future reference.

Old 29th September 2006, 19:34   #280
Senior - BHPian

Boogie on!!!!
Old 29th September 2006, 19:49   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
St-If you love your car take it to jb\bungir\sam\navin\etc and get this done...Imo,worth any anount spent!
IMO

1) Who is bungir? If you are trying to think of a slightly heavy-built sardarji from new delhi, you'd better hide.
2) Navin does not install car audio, not even for himself. He is too busy working out ways to baffle the world.
3) I do not install car audio (anymore)
4) JB only helps his dealers install car audio

So if he does take his car to any of the above, it would sure be priceless lol because it would never be done.

P.S> Excellent pictures, please give credit to the source immediately.
Old 29th September 2006, 20:07   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
IMO

1) Who is bungir? If you are trying to think of a slightly heavy-built sardarji from new delhi, you'd better hide.
2) Navin does not install car audio, not even for himself. He is too busy working out ways to baffle the world.
3) I do not install car audio (anymore)
4) JB only helps his dealers install car audio

P.S> Excellent pictures, please give credit to the source immediately.
Hmm....all that i didnt know...why dont you guys do a one off for a t-bhpian?

Anway,already gave credit to the source i think its in the first post of mine.

Sam...wait wait...you had to find some fault noe;be it a typo or whatever..you'll get whats coming to you for not coming for the meet.

edit:ok credit-Tha dude who did this from the forum linky below
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67759

Hats off to you man!

Last edited by binz : 29th September 2006 at 20:10.
Old 29th September 2006, 20:37   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
So if he does take his car to any of the above, it would sure be priceless lol because it would never be done.
Double

You are priceless, Sam!
Old 29th September 2006, 22:57   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2) Navin does not install car audio, not even for himself. He is too busy working out ways to baffle the world..
actually it is the world that is baffling me!
Old 30th September 2006, 00:34   #285
BANNED

The installers' list you have presented is very much an ICEy bunch of audio gurus. They're not installers by profession. Some of them may do it once in a while for their friends/Girlfriends etc.. And Sam is the one who lived to tell the tale of his girlfriend's install experience. And that's one of the reason why we call him the Distinguished ICE guru!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks