Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 15:51   #2371
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

The front are Blau 402HPs firing at the driver's face, that's me. I'll level it off a bit.

New HU purchased. Turns out, and this is a warning to everyone, please take caution.

A lot of Pioneer head units in reality output a different RMS even though all of them are 50Wx4 PMPO.

The 1690UB ( quite popular and cheap) is 14Wx4 RMS.
The top end models vary between 17 and 20 W RMS.

If driving a unit off the head unit, I think going from 14W - 20W makes a noticeable difference as one would like to keep things a peg below max RMS, avoiding distortion in the process.

To answer your question DerAlte, the Infinity Reference and GTO series were a little too sharp. Reminds me of my Sennheiser HD 238 which said PRECISION when they were simply too bright. I can't stand high pitch voices especially with my constant high RPM music So I tend to tone down the treble everywhere. The current head unit has a 5 band EQ so I'm grateful.
Old 7th March 2014, 18:46   #2372
BHPian

How are rainbow speakers in terms of brightness?
Old 10th March 2014, 12:44   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
How are rainbow speakers in terms of brightness?
You will have to audition them yourself to answer that. They are generally not bright, but then your perception of 'brightness' may be different from others'.
Old 27th July 2014, 12:23   #2374
BHPian

How are rainbow soundline SL-C6.2 in comparison with focal 165 v30
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:47   #2375
BHPian

Bumping this up after a long time. Looking to upgrade the ICE in upcoming Swift Zxi. Typically want to upgrade in 2-3 phrases. Will be retaining the stock HU.

I listen to all genres, but love classic rock, house and some Bollywood music at times. Hate those bright ear-piercing sound. I do love bass, but clarity is imp as well. Please dont kill me for coming across as naive!

1) Front component

Budget = Rs.5-7k for the components

# Infinity Reference 6500 CX
# Polk Audio - DB 6501 - 6.5 Inch 2-Way Component System (300 W)

Any other options in the price range that I may consider?

2) Subwoofer

Budget = Rs.5-7k

# Infinity-Kappa 100.9w - 10 inch High Performance Selectable Impedance Subwoofer (1400W)

# JBL - GTX 1150W - 12'' Subwoofer

Any other options?

3) Rear coax (anything better to consider?)

Budget = Rs.5-7k

# Infinity - Kappa 693.11i - 6 inch x 9 inch 3-way Co-axial Speaker (330W)
# Infinity - Kappa 52.11i - 5.5 inch Coaxial Speaker (165 W)
# Infinity - Reference 6502ix - 6.5 inch 2-Way Coaxial Speaker (180 W)
# Infinity - Reference 9603ix - 6 inch x 9 inch Speaker (300 W)
# JBL - GTO S959 - 6 inch x 9 inch 3 Way Coaxial Speakers (440 W)

I will be driving alone mostly, and if required I can let go of the rears.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:40   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
... 1) Front component
Any other options in the price range that I may consider? ...
I would prefer the Infinity Reference, but that is me. I find the Polk a tad too bright for my taste, and again that is me. The best way is to actually audition the components before you buy, if possible in a car. There are a lot of others in this price bracket: JBL, Morel, Auditor, Bull etc.

Quote:
... 2) Subwoofer
Any other options? ...
If you are getting the Kappa sub in this budget, nothing like it. You will need a smaller than normal box for it. Even the 10" goes much lower than the JBL 12". Other options are Infinity Ref, Polk etc.

Quote:
... 3) Rear coax (anything better to consider?)
It is good to have rear fills, and you don't really save much by not having them. Since you are planning a sub, put the Infinity Ref 6.5" round coaxes in the rear doors. 6x9s will not give you any additional advantage with the sub.
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:47   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Front component

Budget = Rs.5-7k for the components

Any other options in the price range that I may consider?

3) Rear coax (anything better to consider?)

Budget = Rs.5-7k

If you are willing to let go of the rear coax that means you have a budget of 10-14k for front components.
IMO you would be better off getting better front components than a set of ok front components and rear coax.

I would recommend B2 audio es6.1 or morel maximo for the front sound stage. Both are known to be neutral and laid back.

I see that you are planning to install a sub also. What about the amp ?

Edit: If you need to buy one I would recommend Ground Zero IRIDIUM SERIES GZIA 4115HPX. Retails for less than 5k on snapdeal. You should be able to power your front components and sub with this amp.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 3rd December 2014 at 15:50.
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:57   #2378
BHPian

Hi all, need suggestions from audio experts here.

Have to replace my rear jbl gto 849 (6X9) on MDF as one of the speakers is not working. The front compos are jbl 809c. No sub, only a sony amp powering the front compos.

Below are the probable ones listed. Any new additions which will compliment the front compos would be very welcome. Budget around 4k

1. Ground zero GZIF 6904X
2. JBL GTO S959
3. JBL GTO 950SI
4. Infinity - Reference 9603ix
5. JBL GTO 949
6. Infinity - Kappa 693.11i
Old 5th December 2014, 16:05   #2379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
... Have to replace my rear jbl gto 849 (6X9) on MDF as one of the speakers is not working. ...
Before replacing, perhaps you should get the faulty speaker checked. The malfunction could be due to a simple openciruit in the speaker, or a bad / loose connection in the wiring. Shouldn't be difficult to diagnose and repair.

Quote:
... Below are the probable ones listed. Any new additions which will compliment the front compos would be very welcome. Budget around 4k ...
Infinity - Reference 9603ix or JBL GTO 949
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 17:47   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Before replacing, perhaps you should get the faulty speaker checked. The malfunction could be due to a simple openciruit in the speaker, or a bad / loose connection in the wiring. Shouldn't be difficult to diagnose and repair.

Infinity - Reference 9603ix or JBL GTO 949
One of the local audio guys gave me a reason saying the coil had to be replaced. Not sure what that means.

Thanks for your inputs. Will try to get it checked at a good audio store before replacing. I also see a lot of wining noise from the tweeters as well.
Old 5th December 2014, 18:15   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the local audio guys gave me a reason saying the coil had to be replaced. Not sure what that means.

Thanks for your inputs. Will try to get it checked at a good audio store before replacing. I also see a lot of wining noise from the tweeters as well.
He was taking a potshot in the dark, probably without even doing a continuity check. He surmised that the coil is burnt or has opened out (coil is the the coil of copper wire that moves in the magnet, and drives the cone in and out). It is highly unlikely that the coil was burnt out or opened out under normal, even sometimes loud, music listening.

Yes, please go to an authorized JBL dealer or ASS (check their website).

Last edited by DerAlte : 5th December 2014 at 18:17.
Old 5th December 2014, 18:24   #2382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
He was taking a potshot in the dark, probably without even doing a continuity check. He surmised that the coil is burnt or has opened out (coil is the the coil of copper wire that moves in the magnet, and drives the cone in and out). It is highly unlikely that the coil was burnt out or opened out under normal, even sometimes loud, music listening.

Yes, please go to an authorized JBL dealer or ASS (check their website).
Thanks again. I believe once when the vehicle was given for service, they have messed up the wiring. Now the fader on the head-unit is reversed, front moves the sound stage to back and vice-versa.

I will try out a good audio shop, i believe "Top Gear" in kormangala is a reputed one, will try out one of these if so.
Old 5th December 2014, 22:42   #2383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

for a woofer's voice coil to burn it has to be subject to some degree of abuse. At the worst. What might happen is that the voice coil detaches from the tinsel lead due to excessive motion (again a sign of over use or abuse). Please ask them to check the woofer before passing such judgements.

Tweeter whining is usually engine noise, also pretty easily solved today.
Old 1st May 2015, 23:15   #2384
BHPian

Hi all, my swift is 2012 model zdi. my stock system is not playing all audio files from pen drive. I use a sandisk 16 gb pendrive. when the same is used in my colleagues dezire 2013 model, it was playing fine. Checked with MASS on any firmware update and they are clueless. SE suggested me to use 4 GB pen drive, but i don't think it will make any difference. Anyone else have same issue?
Old 12th May 2015, 16:55   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Hi all, my swift is 2012 model zdi. my stock system is not playing all audio files from pen drive. I use a sandisk 16 gb pendrive. when the same is used in my colleagues dezire 2013 model, it was playing fine. Checked with MASS on any firmware update and they are clueless. SE suggested me to use 4 GB pen drive, but i don't think it will make any difference. Anyone else have same issue?
Did it never play any audio files from any pendrive? Was it playing files from this particular pendrive earlier, and stopped all of a sudden? What does the HU indicate when you try to play?

This is a hardware issue, and no firmware update is associated with such things.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks