Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 16:43   #2356
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

@derAlte,the problem is my PC is out of business and so I'm on my phone and can't make a picture..

Think of it as a table with two square-ish boxes on it, and then invert the table. So the co-axes get a sealed box effect (vent if need be) , the drivers don't provide above the tray, and the box prevents damage to the magnet and/or connectors when moving things about in the already confined boot (with a CNG fitment you're bound to hit the parcel tray with minimum baggage in the trunk, and by doing so, disturb the speaker assembly)

Something like this :

===============mdf tray
\____/ \____/ speaker boxes attached to the mdf tray but below and not above the tray
Old 20th February 2014, 18:44   #2357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post

Something like this :

===============mdf tray
\____/ \____/ speaker boxes attached to the mdf tray but below and not above the tray
Ah if i may.. i get your point but what Deralte suggests is that Coaxes are best left with maximum exposure . Sir quoteth in previos post as
Quote:
It is better that 6x9s are allowed to play free air (they are designed to do so), instead of cloistering them in enclosures. Unless one has the Thiele Small parameters of the speaker and one uses a good software to calculate the enclosure volume, the results are unpredictable at best if one just creates an enclosure without calculating.
So what you say may provide some physical protection but may have ill effects on accoustics. IMO. DerAlte to clarify
Old 20th February 2014, 22:51   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Ah if i may.. i get your point but what Deralte suggests is that Coaxes are best left with maximum exposure . Sir quoteth in previos post as

So what you say may provide some physical protection but may have ill effects on accoustics. IMO. DerAlte to clarify
Yeah, the PC's back on line so alas no squinting on a phone display.

I don't mean seal it off.. vent the box ! Get some good bass out of it. Furthermore, one could try simply leaving one side to the box open to allow free flow of air.

Acoustics, well, we're better off doing it and then seeing how the drivers sound , as the pros stack up:
No protrusion above the panel
Protection below the panel
Depending on the speakers, SQ modification as need be.

A simple metallic grill will serve the same protective purpose and eliminate any air flow issues.
Old 21st February 2014, 15:53   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I don't mean seal it off.. vent the box ...
What box? Where box? It is just a spacer with both ends open. The spacer is stuck around the hole in the parcel shelf on one end, and the speaker is mounted on the other end!!!

If one raises the speaker on, say, wooden dowels, it will lead to mutual cancellation of low & mid frequencies of the front and rear waves. The spacer is preventing that (along with the parcel tray) by isolating them - yet raising the speaker at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
... may provide some physical protection but may have ill effects on accoustics ...
Well, yes, it will mess with the sound characteristics of a speaker designed for free air / infinite baffle mounting.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 17:06   #2360
BHPian

Ahhh thanks =) I'm going to use my creative imagination for PC cabinet modding, things I'm good at.

I had a smart idea that people like to box their ovals depending on power output and whether they are event to sound better once Boxed.. It's just that the boxes could, in theory it looked fine, be made a part of the parcel tray.

Still, I am totally in favor of a protective metallic grill below the speakers and I'm probably going to get it done. Once I get my speakers this week.
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:33   #2361
BHPian

Deralte sir, I want to upgrade front speakers in my Red swift. I have shortlisted the following:
1. Polk MM6501
2. Hertz HCK 165
3. Focal PS 165 v30
Please let me know your recommendations. Also I am inclined towards FPP 4100 focal amp. How much performance gain would be there in comparison to JBL-X646.
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:15   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
... sir, ...
Who? Where?

Quote:
... 1. Polk MM6501
2. Hertz HCK 165
3. Focal PS 165 v30 ...
I would go for the Focal, but that is me. What matters is how YOU like these, not others. Please audition them before buying - the Hertz and Polk are a bit too bright for me, I don't know about your preference.

Quote:
... Also I am inclined towards FPP 4100 focal amp. How much performance gain would be there in comparison to JBL-X646.
Difficult to quantify 'performance gain', perception is subjective. Listen to it, perhaps you may find something to justify the higher price.
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:26   #2363
BHPian

If these are too bright then please suggest speakers that are not bright.
Old 5th March 2014, 19:21   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

I would go for the Focal, but that is me. What matters is how YOU like these, not others. Please audition them before buying - the Hertz and Polk are a bit too bright for me, I don't know about your preference.
Hello DerAlte Sir (read Expert)

I own a Swift Dzire. I am planning to upgrade the front speakers mainly because the current setup is not giving much in the front. Mom & Dad do not prefer listening to a lot of music when they are seated at the backseat. And I love to listen to music. I was wondering what could I do the least to make sure the front speakers get me more juice.

The current setup: JVC Double Din HU
Front Speakers: JBL 5" Co-ax (I guess the guy who installed them said that 6" wont fit. Not sure how true is that though)
Rear Speakers: Infinity Co-ax. Good enough in my opinion.
I do not plan to change the HU and rear. I am thinking of getting a 4-channel amp (suggestions welcome) and front comps.

Please help me. My budget would be around 8k-10k(max).
Old 5th March 2014, 19:39   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If these are too bright then please suggest speakers that are not bright.
Infinity, Focal, Morel, Bull etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
... Front Speakers: JBL 5" Co-ax (I guess the guy who installed them said that 6" wont fit. Not sure how true is that though) ...
Standard size for Swift / DZire is 6.5". How DID he fit 5.25" there?

Quote:
... My budget would be around 8k-10k(max).
Get Infinity Reference components for the fronts, along with a Kenwood / Pioneer / Sony 4-channel amp. This should fit within your budget. Well, almost - since you would need to buy RCA and speaker cables. Power cable can be teflon-coated 4 sq.mm. domestic wiring cable - Finolex, Havell etc.
Old 5th March 2014, 20:22   #2366
BHPian

Quote:

Get Infinity Reference components for the fronts, along with a Kenwood / Pioneer / Sony 4-channel amp. This should fit within your budget. Well, almost - since you would need to buy RCA and speaker cables. Power cable can be teflon-coated 4 sq.mm. domestic wiring cable - Finolex, Havell etc.
Thank you so much. Can you suggest the specific model that I should go with? Reading a lot of options confuse me. If you tell me a model that you have come across or used and has been good, I am fine to go with your recommendation without applying a lot of Ifs and Buts.

So can you please give me the model and price if you can?
Also, where in Mumbai can I procure the genuine ones and also a good place to install them? Can I do a DIY for this work?
Regarding the wiring, thank you so much for the details. My dad knows about wire qualities in and out. So that thing, I will leave to him to procure.

Last edited by DipakDZireLover : 5th March 2014 at 20:34. Reason: Added a question rather than posting a new thread.
Old 6th March 2014, 12:49   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... can you please give me the model and price if you can? ...
* Infinity Reference 6500cx components
* Kenwood KAC-M846 amplifier

Quote:
... Also, where in Mumbai can I procure the genuine ones and also a good place to install them? Can I do a DIY for this work? ...
You could do DIY if you have a knack & desire for it. However, it won't cost you much to get it done from an experienced installers like Ajay (Bass&Trouble on TBHP) or Ramie-paji (ramie2400 on TBHP). The advantage in going to them is that they can show you how it sounds in your car, and also tune the system well.
Old 6th March 2014, 14:54   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
However, it won't cost you much to get it done from an experienced installers like Ajay (Bass&Trouble on TBHP) or Ramie-paji (ramie2400 on TBHP). The advantage in going to them is that they can show you how it sounds in your car, and also tune the system well.
Thank you so much. I am PMing both of them to check who lives closer to my place (Goregaon West). Being TBHPians, I feel so assured that I am gonna get the right advice and the right work done.

Thank you once again for such a prompt response.
Old 6th March 2014, 20:19   #2369
BHPian

If this helps i pulled the Primus 9603is off ebay for 2950 a steal really. Rear Coax.

They're nice but I had to tone down the treble from the EQ. Good construction but really need amping if you're going to push them.

Solid output @ 94 dB
Old 7th March 2014, 14:43   #2370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Primus 9603is ... Rear Coax. ... but I had to tone down the treble from the EQ ...
Err... why take a bright speaker for Rear, and then bring down the high frequencies even for the front? Better to buy a neutral sounding speaker, no? At least the fronts, which matter the most, will play to their true abilities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks