Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 11:03   #2251
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
... Got some weird idea after seeing 6.5 inch Ground Zero Sub-woofers. ...
Will the above set-up give good tight bass with clear audio clarity?
What was your objective? Considering that 2 of these subs are going to cost you twice a conventional 12" sub, what were you trying to gain?

Tight bass, I doubt. That is because the rear doors are not hermetically sealed, as a good sub box should be. Look carefully, there are plenty of vents around the door, so at best it will be somewhere between a sealed and a ported enclosure.

What you would save would be probably ~1K for a box; what you would lose is controlled bass. And all that the rear seat passengers (if and when) will get to hear is bass, or you will be forced to switch the subs off.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 13:32   #2252
BHPian

^^
Thanks, The main objective is not to minimize the already smaller boot by installing a subwoofer. Went to the installer he suggested for different type of speaker from Sinuslive(6*9). Not sure how will be the overall sound quality as i have not auditioned the similar setup.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:56   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
... The main objective is not to minimize the already smaller boot by installing a subwoofer. Went to the installer he suggested for different type of speaker from Sinuslive(6*9). ...
1. You can consider either an 8" sub (Polk has one in a small box) below the passenger seat, or a 10" sub in a custom fiber-glass enclosure on one side of the boot. Neither will use boot floor space, and give decent bass

2. Quite obviously he is trying to push what he has. 6x9s are no match for a sub for the thump and low-end it gives, no matter what any installer says. Mounted on an MDF parcel shelf, it does give a 'feeling' of bass - and even a Pioneer 6x9 costing 2800 will give you that. Go for a known regular brand like JBL, Infinity, Pioneer, Polk, Bull, etc. - at least you have someone to turn to in case something goes wrong.
Old 12th January 2013, 16:26   #2254
BHPian

I am getting a 4ch amp for my speakers now. The front is Illusion Electra components and the rear is MTX 6x9 co-axials. Just a question here. Recently a friend of mine mentioned to me that while adding an amp for components, it helps if you drive only the mid bass (4" in my case, so its probably better to call is a mid range than mid bass) from the amp, and the tweeters from the HU. This way the sound is more balanced.

What do the gurus have to say about this?
Old 12th January 2013, 17:27   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
... friend of mine mentioned to me that while adding an amp for components, it helps if you drive only the mid bass (4" in my case, so its probably better to call is a mid range than mid bass) from the amp, and the tweeters from the HU. This way the sound is more balanced. ...
Funny suggestion! No. That would be like having 2 cows at home but buying milk from Amul / Mother Dairy. Or holding one's nose with arm going around behind the head.

Far from producing balanced sound, it will make it extremely difficult to tune the system. Please connect the amp to the XO and the XO to the mid-bass and tweeter, as is done normally.
Old 13th January 2013, 19:48   #2256
KRN
BHPian

Mid Life ICE makeover for my Swift

My 7 year old Swift's Sony CDX-M8815x is acting up with the display dead and CDs not getting ejected out. I am looking for a replacement

Budget: 10k +/- 2k

Current Setup:
1. Head unit - Sony CDX-M8815x - Love this, bought for $350, but forced to replace now
2. Front speakers (door mounted) - 6 inch, Sony 2 way speakers - Sounds mediocre
3. Rear speakers (MDF tray mounted) - 6x9, Sony 4 way speakers (co-axial??) - Still sounds great, bass is excellent

Need advice on:
1. Headunit - My preferences are
a. 2 Din preferred (though open for 1 Din if there is a huge price variance for same SQ)
b. Good SQ and bass
c. Bluetooth for phone pairing, iPod and USB pen drive support
d. Looks

2. Would like to retain the rear speakers. Open to replacing front speakers if it wouldn't break the bank and I would get much better SQ

3. Good installer/shop in chennai where I can get a good value deal

4. Can't compromise boot space by adding sub etc.

Please help!
Old 14th January 2013, 11:03   #2257
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mid Life ICE makeover for my Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
Current Setup:
1. Head unit - Sony CDX-M8815x - Love this, bought for $350, but forced to replace now
2. Front speakers (door mounted) - 6 inch, Sony 2 way speakers - Sounds mediocre

Need advice on:
1. Headunit - My preferences are
a. 2 Din preferred (though open for 1 Din if there is a huge price variance for same SQ)
b. Good SQ and bass
c. Bluetooth for phone pairing, iPod and USB pen drive support

2. Would like to retain the rear speakers. Open to replacing front speakers if it wouldn't break the bank and I would get much better SQ
For the HU consider Kenwood, Pioneer or JVC. They all have models around 6-7K which have USB but for bluetooth you might have to pay a bit more.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 17:07   #2258
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

For the HU consider Kenwood, Pioneer or JVC. They all have models around 6-7K which have USB but for bluetooth you might have to pay a bit more.
Thanks Navin for the suggestions.

Can you please guide me on specific HU models among these that would give the best sound quality?

Also any suggestions on the proposed setup, especially the front speakers?
Old 14th January 2013, 21:57   #2259
Senior - BHPian

I rencently got the Kenwood KDC x966 and a basic infinity components in front installed, the SQ is very good.

Thanks to mods and other for giving me the right suggestion.

Would recommend the head unit to any one interested in a good sq system.
Old 14th January 2013, 23:35   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
... Can you please guide me on specific HU models among these that would give the best sound quality? ...
Search the ICE sections. Someone here had bought a JVC set recently for around that price WITH BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I rencently got the Kenwood KDC x966 ...
x966 or x996? How much did it cost? Where did you buy it from?
Old 15th January 2013, 07:59   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte

x966 or x996? How much did it cost? Where did you buy it from?
Oh sorry about wrong model no. I paid inr 13500 for it and was bought in US.
Old 7th February 2013, 01:38   #2262
Distinguished - BHPian

OK. I have a crazy query.

My current set up is as follows:

Kenwood 6539U
JBL 608c components in the front (stock location)
4 channel amp - JBL (1004?) - 2 channels power the comps & other 2 power the sub.
JBL GT5 S-12 sub.

I did this set up basically because I wanted the "punch" / shortage of cash for rear comps / driving alone for 90% of the time.

Now the problem is, When I have 2 rows of people traveling + luggage, I need to remove my sub & keep it at home. Obviously, there is hardly any good music that comes out of just a pair of comps. Another problem is with the sub in trunk, people at the back can NOT hear a thing other than boom boom.

I am thinking that I would add a pair of 6x9s on the rear parcel tray so that even if I keep my sub at home, I can get decent bass from these (I really need that bass ).

The question is, can I have the 6x9s powered by the same wires that powers the subwoofer so as to utilize the 2 channels connected to it?

Right now, the two wires (to subwoofer) have the insulation on the tips removed & the copper part is kept into the terminal slots & screws tightened. If this same wire can power the 6x9s, what do we need to do?

Note:: When I am driving alone, I will switch back to comps + subwoofer. 6x9s will get in ONLY when subwoofer is taken out. So the rear set up should be portable! I have seen one of the installer using a pin type stuff which can be plugged into the 6x9s slot and can be removed by pulling the wires out. I am looking for something like that. Plug in & Plug out in 5 seconds, with just one wire to each speakers!

On the other front, the JBLs satisfy me very well when I play the English tracks, but when it comes to regional songs (Hindi / Malayalam / Tamil etc), I do NOT enjoy to the same level as I feel the voice becomes shrill and I have to bring down the volume to almost half of what I use for English songs.

Which brand of 6x9s should I go for? I want the whole set up to sound nice & NOT harsh as people will be there at the back when I use the 6x9s.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th February 2013 at 01:43.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:00   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
OK. I have a crazy query. ...
The question is, can I have the 6x9s powered by the same wires that powers the subwoofer so as to utilize the 2 channels connected to it?
Which brand of 6x9s should I go for? ...
No, you shouldn't do that.

Best would be to connect the 6x9s to the HU rear channels. If your system is tuned well, it will sound good without the sub (but you will feel the absence of the sub).

Try JBL / Infinity / Pio - decent bass and not shrill otherwise. There are other brands too - audition whatever you can get conveniently & affordably - you should like the sound before buying.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:07   #2264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
...Try JBL / Infinity / Pio - decent bass and not shrill otherwise. There are other brands too - audition whatever you can get conveniently & affordably - you should like the sound before buying.
Going by the front components' sound signature, I am NOT sure whether JBL fits me. Doesn't Infinity also feature a similar signature? Had Pio 6x9s in our previous car, don't like the projected "tweeter" sound it gives. I was wondering whether a Polk will fit my taste, had heard a car playing it (could NOT audition it though).

As you said, I shall try & audition it before taking the plunge.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:13   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... Doesn't Infinity also feature a similar signature? ... wondering whether a Polk will fit my taste, ...
No, Infinity is comparatively more neutral sounding. Polk - not sure, not heard their 6x9. Anyhow, audition and decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks