Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 18:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Hey y'all

Many a time we have seen folks not going in for a sub cuz they need the boot space. Well here is a solution I have often written about but nobody has tried it yet on the forum.
Hey Gunbir,

Well..thats exactly What I'd done way back in 02 in my Indica. The difference was that I had to invert my stepney mounting position and also the sub was made to "snug fit" inside the wheel well.

Good pictures from you, to help the uninitiated.

Last edited by headers : 1st June 2008 at 19:02.
Old 1st June 2008, 20:08   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No reason why not. The Pio is a free air sub (the F suffix). The JBL sub seems to be an all rounder - there are sealed, ported, tube and even IB installs of this one.

But, first check the space that you have and cross-check with the speaker drawing. BTW, which car were you trying to put this in?
Thank you Der Alte ji

heres what i have found out

sealed pioneer subs 10inch
TS W252R/251R - Mounting depth 5-3/8 "(137mm-top mount) and 6-3/16"(158mm- bottom mount-the way gunbir has done)
cut out dia 9-3/16"

pioneer free air type 10incher
- TS-W257F - Mounting depth 131mm(top mount) and 150mm (bottom mount)
cut out dia 238mm

JBL GT4 - 10
Mounting depth 150mm
Cutout dia 232mm

well B&T has the perfect sub for this (i.e the Nd 10i i think or even the 12incher) but the price- woah!! not for this poor bloke
Anyone want to get rid of their old one?

im gonna try this in the i10 (the stepney is very similar to the Santro used in this thread even the nylon bolt head is the same size)
Though i am thinking of going for the top mount method and then using circular spacer and a grill - so what if the dicky base is not flat; i dont think 2 inches in a circle wont make so much of a difference

now i need to find an installer that stocks all these 3 subs and will be willing to give me a demo so i can see which sub sounds the best in the SWW.

Also i would be grateful if anyone could offer their inputs or suggestions on how i may be able to install my second amp(sub amp)
i was thinking of installing this one on the boot "sides" rather than on the rear bench ( i need part of the rear bench clear so i can stuff in my childs pram and hopefully tricyle later on)

the problem here is that the car has fibre glass sides. Now i dont think they are strong enough to screw on an amp directly onto.
cant quite figure out how to bring in an mdf board which can rest on the boot floor and is also supported by the rear bench (then i can screw on the amp onto this board)

Any ideas?
Old 1st June 2008, 21:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Just curious , how does an IB sub sound compared to a boxed sub? I remember reading that it sounds quite vague and boomy. I'm thinking of doing this in my indica, as i'd like to have a stealth install, but i dont want it at the cost of SQ though. i want to be able to make out the notes on a bass guitar !
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:05   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atease View Post
I would want to go for 8" subs like how Gunbir installed in the Innova, I waiting for Gunbir to respond to my query. lets hope he replies.
He will not, unless you call him. He is no longer active here. Banned, don't know temporary or permanent. :(
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

I don't think an IB setup is possible/recommended in a two-box car. In a three-box car they sound pretty nice though & do not take up too much space.

EDIT: It is possible of course! Free air sub on the parcel shelf is a form of IB setup only! Sorry for the silly mistake!

Last edited by iraghava : 2nd June 2008 at 02:43. Reason: Edited incorrect info.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:57   #81
Senior - BHPian

Nice concept and well executed Gunbir! How ever I have a few doubts:

1. Is it ok to put heavy luggage etc (occasionally) on the boot floor? Will that not damage the sub and/or muffle the sound?

2. How would you rate the bass from SWWS install? Is it tight and fast? Slow and boomy? IMO, it would be the latter right?

3. Could you recommend a good sub for Getz SWWS (preferably 12 inch) that could run off 2 bridged channels of Blau GT4 (~160-180 WRMS)?
Old 17th June 2008, 13:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Nice concept and well executed Gunbir! How ever I have a few doubts:

1. Is it ok to put heavy luggage etc (occasionally) on the boot floor? Will that not damage the sub and/or muffle the sound?

2. How would you rate the bass from SWWS install? Is it tight and fast? Slow and boomy? IMO, it would be the latter right?

3. Could you recommend a good sub for Getz SWWS (preferably 12 inch) that could run off 2 bridged channels of Blau GT4 (~160-180 WRMS)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
He will not, unless you call him. He is no longer active here. Banned, don't know temporary or permanent. :(

Sad, Gunbir is banned.

@ nishantgandhi: am attempting to answer your queries.

1. If you put a grill on top of the sub, you can load it with heavy stuff. It will not muffle the sound as bass is non directional. I have done it in my previous cars!

2 & 3: The kind of bass you want depends on your type of sub as well as your amp connections as well as tuning the setup. IMO, A slow and boomy as well as a fast a tight bass can be obtained from the same setup.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sad, Gunbir is banned.

@ nishantgandhi: am attempting to answer your queries.

1. If you put a grill on top of the sub, you can load it with heavy stuff. It will not muffle the sound as bass is non directional. I have done it in my previous cars!

2 & 3: The kind of bass you want depends on your type of sub as well as your amp connections as well as tuning the setup. IMO, A slow and boomy as well as a fast a tight bass can be obtained from the same setup.
I think gunbir is 'unbanned' now.

I somehow do not completely agree with your point 2&3. I think, and from what I have read and heard:
- a sealed box is better suited for a SQ bass
- A ported box goes well for SPL bass
- Tubes generally give out boomy bass
Old 17th June 2008, 13:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I somehow do not completely agree with your point 2&3. I think, and from what I have read and heard:
- a sealed box is better suited for a SQ bass
- A ported box goes well for SPL bass
- Tubes generally give out boomy bass

Sir, I dont read the forum much. But I have experienced the same in many setups where you get both tight and fast as well as slow and boomy bass.

I dont know much about SQ / SPL etc. I just like my music to sound GREAT!

Ofcourse, it is up to you to agree / disagree with my ideas. But also, please be aware that the forum is only a media for knowledge sharing and is not the bible for anything / everything automotive!

Ofcourse, I dont want to sound too critical, but there exists a world outside the keyboard, which is the real life!

No offense to anyone though!

I agree that tubes give a boomy bass, thats why they are called bass tubes.

A sealed or a ported box depends upon the sub configuration and also the vehicle.

Two identical setups will NOT sound the same in two different cars!
Old 17th June 2008, 13:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Two identical setups will NOT sound the same in two different cars!
Agreed 100% , since the car is itself part of the setup. The volume of free space and the material used in the interior finishing will change the way the same equipment-setup sounds in different cars.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I dont read the forum much. But I have experienced the same in many setups where you get both tight and fast as well as slow and boomy bass.

I dont know much about SQ / SPL etc. I just like my music to sound GREAT!

Ofcourse, it is up to you to agree / disagree with my ideas. But also, please be aware that the forum is only a media for knowledge sharing and is not the bible for anything / everything automotive!

Ofcourse, I dont want to sound too critical, but there exists a world outside the keyboard, which is the real life!

No offense to anyone though!

I agree that tubes give a boomy bass, thats why they are called bass tubes.

A sealed or a ported box depends upon the sub configuration and also the vehicle.

Two identical setups will NOT sound the same in two different cars!
Yes I agree with you here. I have heard well damped free air sub installs that give out tight bass, whereas it is perceived that such installs would be vague and boomy.

What I had stated was based on what I read on TBHP and also a few installs that I heard. In my general understanding, sealed boxes give out relatively tighter and fast bass compared to other installs.

Of course, the type of car body and its metal construction would have a major effect on the sound reproduction inside the cabin.

So whats your setup and kind of bass in your car at present?
Old 18th June 2008, 09:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gunbir, nice idea. Space saver solution. The Pics and narration were truely interesting. Wiring pictures would be useful.
It resembled Home Shop 18 DIY solutions!!! kiddin.

Let me speak to my mech next-time regarding inverting the spare wheel on my palio.
Old 19th June 2008, 15:45   #88
BANNED

It's been long since we saw something innovative like this here. Ain't it??
What about putting up similar things and make this section more interesting???
Old 19th June 2008, 20:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So whats your setup and kind of bass in your car at present?
My CRDi Accent has: Kenwood HU some 6 series..2 years old, Blau comp speakers up front with Kenwood 6 x 9s at the rear parcel MDF tray with a bass vent. I have a Kenwood 4 Channel Amp with a Kenwood 12" sub.

Aint I a kenwood guy? lol

The front comps play off the HU whereas the 4 channel amp does the Sub and the Rear 6x9s. My install was carried out by Bala of Technocrat in Chennai.

I manage to get fast tight bass as well as slow boomy ones.
Old 20th June 2008, 09:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My CRDi Accent has: Kenwood HU some 6 series..2 years old, Blau comp speakers up front with Kenwood 6 x 9s at the rear parcel MDF tray with a bass vent. I have a Kenwood 4 Channel Amp with a Kenwood 12" sub.

Aint I a kenwood guy? lol

The front comps play off the HU whereas the 4 channel amp does the Sub and the Rear 6x9s. My install was carried out by Bala of Technocrat in Chennai.

I manage to get fast tight bass as well as slow boomy ones.
Dude, no offense, but I think this setup is mixed up and not giving out its full potential. The front comps should play via the amp and the rear 6x9s off the HU. Change it and witness the difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks