Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 13:38   #1351
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Alright guys I'm in the market to buy the best dash cam money can buy. Will be great if it gives driver footage as well. Please recommend the very best.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:22   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Alright guys I'm in the market to buy the best dash cam money can buy. Will be great if it gives driver footage as well. Please recommend the very best.
I was in the same boat a couple of months back. Kept going through reviews after reviews and finally narrowed down to 2 dashcams.

1. Thinkware F770 - 2 Ch
2. Blackvue DR650GW - 2 Ch
Both are with front and rear cams as well as smartphone control.

Both are of Korean origin and the most preferred among premium dashcams in US. Have great reviews too.

Was confused between these two and finally ordered one of each. Installed Thinkware F770 in Yeti when I got some free time day before yesterday. Yet to install Blackvue in the bimmer. Both are feature rich and good in quality. Google these two cams and you have enough and more videos and reviews available out there.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 16:28   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
I'd recommend -

Without parking mode - SG9665GC V3 (front only)

With proper parking mode - Thinkware F770 (front + rear)

The bitrate on the Thinkware is on the lower side, especially for the rear camera.

If you want an in-cabin view, then only the Transcend 520 comes to mind.

Last edited by harsh79 : 19th December 2016 at 16:33.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 17:27   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post

The bitrate on the Thinkware is on the lower side, especially for the rear camera.
Thinkware F770, both front and rear cam are of same spec. That's what I remember.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:06   #1355
APV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
I am using DP220 which I bought very recently. Today morning on my way to office the display got struck (shows the snapshot taken in morning) & I could not switch it off as none of the switches (Power, settings etc) in the camera were working. I removed the power connection & still the display wouldn't go off. I guess it is running on inbuilt battery.

Anyone came across such issue & any hints to resolve this?

Typical Windows approach worked. Left it unattended for it to die down or switch off automatically & picked up & reconnected - works fine. Touch wood.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:27   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Typical Windows approach worked. Left it unattended for it to die down or switch off automatically & picked up & reconnected - works fine. Touch wood.
The behaviour you describe is quite reminiscent to the Mini series. Get it replaced under warranty if that's an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Thinkware F770, both front and rear cam are of same spec. That's what I remember.
Both are 1080p but the bitrate for the rear camera is lower compared to the front, hence the front camera performs better.

Overall if compared to other dash cams, the bitrate is on the lower side for both the front and rear.

Not saying the video quality isn't good, it's still right up there with the best.

Last edited by harsh79 : 19th December 2016 at 18:32.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 15:47   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
I'd recommend -

Without parking mode - SG9665GC V3 (front only)

If you want an in-cabin view, then only the Transcend 520 comes to mind.
Many thanks Harsh. I already have a reverse parking sensor installed. Just need the cams now.
Old 21st December 2016, 15:49   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I was in the same boat a couple of months back. Kept going through reviews after reviews and finally narrowed down to 2 dashcams.

1. Thinkware F770 - 2 Ch
2. Blackvue DR650GW - 2 Ch
Both are with front and rear cams as well as smartphone control.

Both are of Korean origin and the most preferred among premium dashcams in US. Have great reviews too.

Was confused between these two and finally ordered one of each. Installed Thinkware F770 in Yeti when I got some free time day before yesterday. Yet to install Blackvue in the bimmer. Both are feature rich and good in quality. Google these two cams and you have enough and more videos and reviews available out there.
Many thanks Ajay, shall look them up. Any idea on approximate pricing? Hearing a lot about the Transcend 520 as well.
Old 21st December 2016, 16:10   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks Ajay, shall look them up. Any idea on approximate pricing? Hearing a lot about the Transcend 520 as well.
Both cams costed me around 380 USD with the recommended hard wiring kits and specific CPL filters + shipping. Import duties not included. I got the kits shipped to my cousin abroad and got em hand carried.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 16:13   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks Harsh. I already have a reverse parking sensor installed. Just need the cams now.
The Thinkware is dual camera, it records the rear view via a second camera that connects to the front camera (main unit). Nothing to do with reverse cameras or sensors.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-f770.jpg
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 20:15   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
The Thinkware is dual camera, it records the rear view via a second camera that connects to the front camera (main unit). Nothing to do with reverse cameras or sensors.

Attachment 1587313
Alright. Which is a better buy out of these then? Transcend 520/ Thinkware or the Blackvue? Also do these cams keep recording when the cars parked away? I don't mind a cabin view along with this awesome rear view. All this feels like turning the car into a Batmobile! Only side views missing.

Last edited by coolmel : 21st December 2016 at 20:17.
Old 21st December 2016, 20:28   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Alright. Which is a better buy out of these then? Transcend 520/ Thinkware or the Blackvue? Also do these cams keep recording when the cars parked away?
The Transcend has the second lens on the main unit; which faces the cabin, a big hit with taxi drivers abroad.

If you want the camera to record when parked or start recording on sensing movement in its field of view, or if the G-sensor is triggered due to vandalism, then look at the F770 (It needs to be hardwired to the fuse box). If you want the rear view also recorded without buying two separate dash cams, then again the F770. If you're looking for just a front camera, then I would suggest you take a look at the Street Guardian SG9665GC V3 or the newly released Viofo A119S.

Two separate cameras for the front and rear could also be an option (more flexibility).
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:32   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just bought a 0805 mini, still waiting for it to be delivered. It had the night videos to match the $200 recorders.
I am planning to buy the following cam
Mini-0805-Car-DVR-Dash-Cam-Ambarella-A7LA50-Chip-Super-Hd-1296p
from Aliexpress.

Did you hardwire this camera or are you using the 12V socket ?

I would like to know your feedback Samurai since you have been using it from quite a long time.
Old 13th January 2017, 12:23   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

A highway compilation from my Viofo A118C:

The quality of video makes the camera sound pretty VFM. Good coverage of the front, good sharpness and consistent recordings. The only downside is that the night coverage is a little okayish and number plates cannot be read so easily in dark. They are either underexposed or over exposed.

In other news, I got a GPS antenna for the same camera. Though the speed reading is displayed on the camera LCD, there is no overlay on the video nor can I view the data on Registrator Viewer either. Anyone has faced this problem or any fix to this?
Old 17th January 2017, 13:00   #1365
Distinguished - BHPian

Helmet friendly action camera

Guys, need suggestion for action cam that is compact and can be mounted to the helmet easily. I am not a fan of cameras protruding too much from the side or top of the helmet, looks weird and also affects windflow causing the helmet to sway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks