Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 19:34   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Guys, need help and suggestions for a new dashcam(or two).

I have had a previous stint with dashcams with the GT300(or whatever it is) in my WagonR. I was satisfied with the camera for the price paid. After selling the car, and removing the camera before that I seem to have lost it somewhere. Since I was out of country immediately after that, I cant find it anymore.

Now that I need a dashcam for both cars at home, I am looking at the following criteria:

1. GT300 was sticking out like a huge contraption and visible to everyone. Now I want something more compact and possibly stealth. Hence, GT300 is out of my list.
2. Something that wont blow my money, meaning I cant cross 4-5k since I need to get two of them.
3. I was considering a dual camera setup for those nasty tailgating fellows. But I want something that can record two separate files instead of overlaying two videos into one file. Doesnt matter if the rear camera resolution will be lesser.
4. Clarity of the GT300 was average, and met the needs. Would prefer something similar or better.

So please give some suggestions. Currently looking at Aliexpress and DX. Products are more or less the same. Not sure about clarity.
Old 9th October 2016, 20:01   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, need help and suggestions for a new dashcam(or two)....
I think this one fits your requirement to the T.

I had bookmarked it from a Safari Storme ownership report here.

1) It is put over your IRVM, so that takes care of its looks in the inside,
2) Budget
3) Dual Camera
4) MUCH clearer front camera, rear camera has lower resolution.

The member had listed fuse-taps & fitment pics & details too. I'll try to search & post the link here.

Rgds
Old 10th October 2016, 11:27   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I think this one fits your requirement to the T.

I had bookmarked it from a Safari Storme ownership report here.

1) It is put over your IRVM, so that takes care of its looks in the inside,
2) Budget
3) Dual Camera
4) MUCH clearer front camera, rear camera has lower resolution.

The member had listed fuse-taps & fitment pics & details too. I'll try to search & post the link here.

Rgds
Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to be a good option. The only issue is the add on mirror which does not come with day/night setting. I am not a fan of additions over the stock mirror and would be fine with a direct swap compared to this. Anyways, have added this into the cart along with a few other options.
Old 10th October 2016, 12:48   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need help and suggestions for a new dashcam(or two).

I have had a previous stint with dashcams with the GT300(or whatever it is) in my WagonR. I was satisfied with the camera for the price paid. After selling the car, and removing the camera before that I seem to have lost it somewhere. Since I was out of country immediately after that, I cant find it anymore.

Now that I need a dashcam for both cars at home, I am looking at the following criteria:

1. GT300 was sticking out like a huge contraption and visible to everyone. Now I want something more compact and possibly stealth. Hence, GT300 is out of my list.
2. Something that wont blow my money, meaning I cant cross 4-5k since I need to get two of them.
3. I was considering a dual camera setup for those nasty tailgating fellows. But I want something that can record two separate files instead of overlaying two videos into one file. Doesnt matter if the rear camera resolution will be lesser.
4. Clarity of the GT300 was average, and met the needs. Would prefer something similar or better.

So please give some suggestions. Currently looking at Aliexpress and DX. Products are more or less the same. Not sure about clarity.
Go for the Mini series (0803/0805) or the Viofo ones (A118/119). They should fit in your budget and are pretty discreet. For the rear cam, check out this thread by Harish - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...actioncam.html

Typically, an all in one solution with the front+rear cam at less than 5k will not give you good video quality. The better ones are around $200 I believe. Best compromise could be 2 Mini 0805 or 2 A118. These are the previous gen models but still offer great video quality and thus are VFM. Or you could wait a bit and fit out one car at a time.

Be careful of fakes though, on AE.
Old 10th October 2016, 13:03   #1235
BHPian

Quote:

Have a look at my earlier post #1066 and some more before that. This one is a pretty neat unit and records two separate files. The only negative point I have found about this cam is in this post 1066 but apart from that I just fit it and forget it, apart from unclipping it and putting it in the glovebox when its parked at my workplace.
Old 14th October 2016, 22:40   #1236
BHPian

Just received and unboxed my hp f800x car camcorder. Looks pretty neat. Installed a 32 GB class 10 sandisk card.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1234.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1235.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-fullsizerender-1.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-fullsizerender.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-fullsizerender-3.jpg  

dr_anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 15:03   #1237
BHPian

I have ordered a Viofo A119 dashcam from Aliexpress. Today when I logged in, I saw my order flagged as "unsuccessful delivery". They have shipped it though Singapore post.

2016-10-10 12:43:37 【India】Send item out for physical delivery (Inb),Air,MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2016-10-10 12:43:37 【India】Unsuccessful item delivery attempt (Inb),Air,MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2016-10-10 12:43:00 【8】Attempted/Failed Delivery (Country code: IN)
2016-10-10 10:38:36 【India】Receive item at delivery office (Inb),Air,MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE

The shipping address given by me is of Hyderabad. I'm not sure why the attempt is being made to deliver at Mumbai.

Did anyone face a similar situation?
Old 16th October 2016, 15:34   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
I have ordered a Viofo A119 dashcam from Aliexpress. Today when I logged in, I saw my order flagged as "unsuccessful delivery". They have shipped it though Singapore post.

2016-10-10 12:43:37 【India】Send item out for physical delivery (Inb),Air,MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2016-10-10 12:43:37 【India】Unsuccessful item delivery attempt (Inb),Air,MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2016-10-10 12:43:00 【8】Attempted/Failed Delivery (Country code: IN)
2016-10-10 10:38:36 【India】Receive item at delivery office (Inb),Air,MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE

The shipping address given by me is of Hyderabad. I'm not sure why the attempt is being made to deliver at Mumbai.

Did anyone face a similar situation?
Can you share the tracking number if thats not an issue? The location shown here is not the location of the package. Its the default 'Next location' which is either Mumbai or Kolkata sorting office most of the times.

Here is how the tracking status looks like for a previous order of mine:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture1.jpg
You could wait for a day on monday, else visit the post office personally. Either they need you to pay customs, or the postman is lazy to deliver.

In other news, I too ended up buying Viofo A118 from Gearbest and chose expedited shipping. Felt this camera was a good deal and integrates well without standing out. Due to the expedited shipping by DHL, here is how the status stands. Ordered on Thursday and its already in Bangalore on Saturday. KYC is complete and I expect delivery by Tuesday

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 16th October 2016 at 15:36.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 23:21   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I recently bought a Transcend DP220

..it seems that the camera is deleting old files in some random fashion.

..File names seem to be reused, which is also an inconvenience.

I have today updated the firmware to the latest version. Let me see in few days time if it changes anything.
The firmware update seems to have solved both the issues.

In general, I am quite satisfied with the camera so far. My main features I was looking for were decent video quality and GPS. It can be considered a little bit overpriced, because it comes from a known brand and hence carries a bit of a premium. But, I was lucky to get the camera for only 90 euros during a sale, and for a sub-100 euro price it delivers adequate video quality and peace of mind (brand + I bought it from the local store).

Among the other features:
- WiFi works as advertised, but I haven't found much use for it so far
- No idea about front collision warning as I have turned it off (my car has the feature already)
- The camera is mounted behind the rear-view mirror, slightly towards the passenger side. So the lane departure warning works fairly well if I am moving towards the passenger side, but is too late to sound the warning if I'm moving to the driver side.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 19:44   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share the tracking number if thats not an issue? The location shown here is not the location of the package. Its the default 'Next location' which is either Mumbai or Kolkata sorting office most of the times.

Here is how the tracking status looks like for a previous order of mine:
You could wait for a day on monday, else visit the post office personally. Either they need you to pay customs, or the postman is lazy to deliver.
Hello Audioholic,

Thanks for the information. Here is the tracking number RP344757640SG.

In your case, I see that there is a column location. In my case, there is no such column. All I see is Mumbai Sorting office. I do not know whether the item has reached Hyderabad or not. The customs is cleared as is mentioned in the log. One more question--how do I follow up with India Post guys since the tracking number is of Singapore Post, and if it all I need to pay custom, where should I do it?

Thanks in advance!
Sanjay
Old 17th October 2016, 21:30   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Audioholic,

Thanks for the information. Here is the tracking number RP344757640SG.

In your case, I see that there is a column location. In my case, there is no such column. All I see is Mumbai Sorting office. I do not know whether the item has reached Hyderabad or not. The customs is cleared as is mentioned in the log. One more question--how do I follow up with India Post guys since the tracking number is of Singapore Post, and if it all I need to pay custom, where should I do it?

Thanks in advance!
Sanjay

Hi,

Your package is sitting at the post office, Please go there and check.

Quote:
016 10:45:00 AM Singapore SINGAPORE S01 Send item abroad (EDI-received) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
10/4/2016 1:38:50 PM India MUMBAI AIR Receive item at office of exchange (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
10/4/2016 1:50:03 PM India MUMBAI AIR Transfer from office of exchange (Inb) Air MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
10/6/2016 2:47:20 PM India MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Send item to domestic location (Inb) Air CRC MUMBAI (NON TD)
10/8/2016 7:31:46 PM India HYDERABAD SORTING Receive item at sorting centre (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
10/9/2016 12:16:20 AM India HYDERABAD SORTING Send item out of sorting centre (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
10/10/2016 10:38:36 AM India CYBERABAD Receive item at delivery office (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
10/10/2016 12:43:37 PM India CYBERABAD Unsuccessful item delivery attempt (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
10/10/2016 12:43:37 PM India CYBERABAD Send item out for physical delivery (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
Old 17th October 2016, 21:32   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Received the A118 today and ultra quick delivery from DHL. They tried delivering in the morning and since I had to pay customs they repeated the delivery at 7:30PM which is very prompt. The downside is that their customs clearance is the most horrible thing ever. The breakup is as follows:

Customs - 340(similar to my last order of Fog lights)
Clearance fee - 490
Handling fee - 500
Tax1
Tax2
what not. Totally it was Rs. 1575

How stealth is this?

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1170.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1174.jpg

Idea was taken from my field of work, and I was in love with such a mounting position. However this is just the prototype and I will design something similar to this:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-volvo_v40_intellisafe_frontview_camera100021814large.jpg
Source - From the Volvo Intellisafe Ad. (no, I DONT work for Volvo)

Quote:
Hello Audioholic,

All I see is Mumbai Sorting office. I do not know whether the item has reached Hyderabad or not. The customs is cleared as is mentioned in the log. One more question--how do I follow up with India Post guys since the tracking number is of Singapore Post, and if it all I need to pay custom, where should I do it?
This is the status of your item:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture.jpg

Check with this Cyberabad post office. They will definitely give it to you once you go there. If you need to pay customs, the parcel will have a receipt attached with the breakup and payable. You need to pay the customs duty amount to the postman.

EDIT: @Captain Slow sorry for the simultaneous post.

Last edited by audioholic : 17th October 2016 at 21:37.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 23:34   #1243
BHPian

Quote:

I will design something similar to this:

Attachment 1567281
Source - From the Volvo Intellisafe Ad. (no, I DONT work for Volvo)
That's interesting. AFAIK only the 2015 Corvette comes with an integrated dash cam, which does 720p.

A Chinese manufacturer has attempted this design where the baffle should help eliminate reflections and glare; negating the need for a CPL.

Specs don't look bad either.

http://www.akenori.com

They start shipping in November.
Old 18th October 2016, 07:20   #1244
BHPian

Harsh79, checked out the link. The promo video also shows good clarity in different light settings. Any idea on what would be the price?
Old 18th October 2016, 10:23   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone using Rexing V1 over here?

It looks great based on review from Amazon.com. A very discreet and compact unit with excellent design.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-81wfwcjvoql._sl1500_.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-91udi1tgkxl._sl1500_.jpg

I am mainly worried about heat as the whole unit is mounted directly on the windshield. The manufacturer recommends to remove the dash cam from the windshield when parking, which is not practical at all. The operating temperature as per the spec is between -12°C to 60°C.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks