Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2016, 20:15   #1186
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I have bought and tested at least 5-6 higher-priced units, and have found this one to be the best in low-light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually, it's picture quality is so impressive - it blows me away as a photographer.

I would upload samples if I had the time - will try in a later post.

However, the backup battery has already gone after a few months (only a few weeks of using it within those few months) - but that doesn't affect the operation too much. Sometimes it doesn't start up automatically, but the video quality is just awesome.
This is nothing but Shenzhen Dome technologies D201 model. One can get it from Ali express/gearbest for around $100. It is the only DVR model based on Ambarella A12 chip and OV4689 sensor
http://www.szdome.com/product-detail-229.html
Old 15th September 2016, 22:58   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
This is nothing but Shenzhen Dome technologies D201 model. One can get it from Ali express/gearbest for around $100. It is the only DVR model based on Ambarella A12 chip and OV4689 sensor
http://www.szdome.com/product-detail-229.html
Still, I'd rather pay the extra $29.00 to get it on my (US) doorstep within 2 days from Amazon USA.

Plus, if I had any problems, no questions asked on any return for a week or two... (normally free shipping back when there is a problem)

Also, no possible Customs duties to bear and/or missing consignments...
Old 16th September 2016, 18:34   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
SJCAM is very good. Go for the wireless one. I am using one for the past three years. Under USD 70 I believe
Is it the SJCAM 4000 Wifi series you are using ? Is the night view decent ?

I was quite sold on the Yi, night videos looked good but after reading up I saw the focus issues it was having.
Old 19th September 2016, 10:36   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Is it the SJCAM 4000 Wifi series you are using ? Is the night view decent ?

I was quite sold on the Yi, night videos looked good but after reading up I saw the focus issues it was having.
I have had zero issues. Night view is as good as it can get.
Old 19th September 2016, 10:55   #1190
Senior - BHPian

What extra accessories would be needed to convert a SJ Cam 4000 into a dash cam ? Will the camera be able to bear the heat of a parked car since the SJ cam seems to be more of a action cam device.
Old 20th September 2016, 10:03   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What extra accessories would be needed to convert a SJ Cam 4000 into a dash cam ? Will the camera be able to bear the heat of a parked car since the SJ cam seems to be more of a action cam device.
Not much actually - a windshield mount and 12v charger is all that is required. Under settings, configure the auto switch on/off on power and loop recording. That should take care of it. As for surviving the heat, I would say remove it when parking the car anywhere unknown. Better to be safe since it is a battery based cam. Plus, it is not that discreet and may attract unwanted attention.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 10:03   #1192
BANNED

How do we get power supply for a rear windshield mounted dashcam? I don't think the accompanying charging cable will be long enough to reach the front charging ports.

Is dual dashcams useful? I'm skeptical about the ability of dual dashcam to capture number plates. What should be considered if one is looking for high quality night video? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 20th September 2016 at 10:13.
Old 20th September 2016, 10:25   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
How do we get power supply for a rear windshield mounted dashcam? I don't think the accompanying charging cable will be long enough to reach the front charging ports.
You've got a few options and variations based on those:
  • One option is to tap into the wiring (wiper motor, etc.) located in the hatch, provided you're able to confirm it is powered on when the car is on, not just when that item is running. That wiring is 12V, so use a hard-wiring kit to convert it to 5V.
  • The other option is to run a lengthy wire along the floor (like how installers put an amp in the boot) from the fuse box to carry the 12V current, and then convert it to the 5V for the dashcam there (using either a cigarette lighter socket + the original charging cable, or by using a hardwiring kit). You can also run the wire along the headliner, provided you don't have curtain airbags.
  • Else, consider a lengthy cigarette lighter extension socket like this one (overpriced, but you get the idea). You don't have to buy it, you can even make it with soldering skills.
I'd personally prefer the wire from the fuse box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Is dual dashcams useful?
A rearward-facing dashcam is definitely useful to capture evidence for rear-endings and hit-and-runs where you're the victim. Most of us are rational drivers, so the risk of being hit from behind is greater (at signals, toll booths, etc.). Any camera that you find satisfactory for forward use should be fine for use at the rear. No point getting an inferior camera for the rear. There are also a few dual-camera kits that offer synchronization between cameras (e.g. for timestamps). I've no personal experience of these kits, but you can check out this page if you're interested in those: 5 Best Front/Rear Dash Cams, and the tabular comparison.

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th September 2016 at 10:27.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:30   #1194
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The clock on the video is 30 minutes behind since I can't pick IST (+5.5) on it.
Is your dashcam a mini series one- 0805/0806 etc.? I got a mini 0826 and face the same problem. In conversation with the tech support team at Gearbest (from where I purchased the cam), and we are going around in circles. I have connected with a few other mini 0826 users via dashcam forum, and it looks like they too are facing a similar issue.

Wondering what happens if the time-stamp is a little off- especially if u have to use the video as evidence or report a traffic violation. This is the only reason why I am concerned and in talks with the manufacturer (via Gearbest).
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:10   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I got my viofo a119 dash cam delivered in 3 weeks from gearbest via NL Post. The cam quality is simply outstanding. I'm in love!

Here is a sample night video.
http://sendvid.com/y3hy4a36

The video was simply trimmed and compressed with whatsapp.
Thanks. I have ordered one A119 from AliExpress, and was just wondering about the quality (both the cam and the video) after reading a recent review of (almost double priced) Street Guardian V2 on this forum.

I have already lost one Transcent DrivePro 200 to thieves in Delhi Metro Car Parking lot, and the other SJCAM type is more of a trouble than utility. Hopefully, A119 will do a justice to its price, can't spend close to 20k on a dashcam now.
Old 24th September 2016, 14:11   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
I purchased it from Aliexpress. The delivery was free, although it took about 3 weeks to reach me.
I am using the same dash cam purchased from aliexpress. Total cost was Rs. 1297, which includes a 32 GB memory card.

Here are some photos of unboxing and installation.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-100_9561.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-100_9564.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-100_9566.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-100_9567.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-100_9576.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-100_9578.jpg  

Old 24th September 2016, 21:35   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I am using the same dash cam purchased from aliexpress. Total cost was Rs. 1297, which includes a 32 GB memory card.

Here are some photos of unboxing and installation.

I got the same model, with same memory card brand from Ali Express - delivery in 13 days!

I was about to post installation pics, but since you have already done that, here is what it looks from outside >

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-1.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-2.jpg

And it is indeed making large files in full resolution ...about 2GB of file for 8mins of video !

Any freeware someone can recommend to cut the video file ? SO that I can share about 30 seconds of video ?
ptaneja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 22:16   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Any freeware someone can recommend to cut the video file ? SO that I can share about 30 seconds of video?
I have earlier used Movie Maker that came along with Windows7. I am currently using Windows10 and just downloaded Windows Essentials 2012 from Microsoft site, which includes Movie Maker. You may read this article for guidance.

Last edited by airbus : 24th September 2016 at 22:18. Reason: Added URL Link.
Old 24th September 2016, 22:23   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
I have had zero issues. Night view is as good as it can get.
As per user reviews, the 4000 has the best night quality out of all the in the series. Can you share some night-time footage if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

And it is indeed making large files in full resolution ...about 2GB of file for 8mins of video !

Any freeware someone can recommend to cut the video file ? SO that I can share about 30 seconds of video ?
Quicktime player has the trim feature.

Last edited by harsh79 : 24th September 2016 at 22:27.
Old 24th September 2016, 22:38   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManishSoni View Post
Thanks. I have ordered one A119 from AliExpress, and was just wondering about the quality (both the cam and the video) after reading a recent review of (almost double priced) Street Guardian V2 on this forum.

I have already lost one Transcent DrivePro 200 to thieves in Delhi Metro Car Parking lot, and the other SJCAM type is more of a trouble than utility. Hopefully, A119 will do a justice to its price, can't spend close to 20k on a dashcam now.
That's a good point. I've left it in Gurgaon metro parking lots a handful of times and didn't think anyone would want to filch the cam! Helps to buy stuff no one knows anything about!

Do you think it makes sense to put a sunfilm strip on the windscreen to camouflage the dash cam? Any other ideas?

The quality is fantastic. I'll post more videos soon. I love it - its been with me now for ~2000km and a lot of bumpy roads - no audible rattling or loosening yet. Will keep you posted.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks