Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:25   #1006
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Usually the output on the OE USB port or the head unit's USB port is 500 mAh, ideally you need an Amp or more, plus on some USB ports the dashcam will go into USB mass storage mode, as the ports are designed to do, in order to read flash drives.

Hard-wiring is safe if done correctly.

Last edited by harsh79 : 23rd May 2016 at 16:47. Reason: add.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:30   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
The Transcend models and Blaupunkt are the only dashcams available with Indian manufacturer warranty. The Blaupunkt one is around 4k.

http://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-DVR20...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Do check other sites for the lowest price.
I will not recommend blaupunkt model. The video quality is ordinary, especially the night ones. Almost impossible to read the number plate of a distant vehicle. Initially i had brought this one thinking that it is of less price, but later i had to upgrade to MINI-0805.
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:13   #1008
BHPian

Contributing something from my side...

Have setup 2 dashcams in my car. One for the front and another for the rear. The front is powered using the front cigarette lighter port. For the read, I had already setup a USB port for back set using a car charger I have which has an extension which I have permanently placed in the back of the seat so my wife can charge her phone when she is sitting behind. It is a 2 Port USB extension and one port was unoccupied. I used that port to power the rear facing camera. The wire was routed from under the back seat mats and sides of the seats and such.

Here are 2-3 pictures, notice that in the first picture, you can see the main front facing dashcam and the rear facing one as well in the RVM.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20160523-08.19.32.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20160523-08.19.58.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20160523-08.20.36.jpg  

raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:50   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Usually the output on the OE USB port or the head unit's USB port is 500 mAh, ideally you need an Amp or more, plus on some USB ports the dashcam will go into USB mass storage mode, as the ports are designed to do, in order to read flash drives.

Hard-wiring is safe if done correctly.
Ok cool harsh makes sense. Will stick to the 12v connection for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I will not recommend blaupunkt model. The video quality is ordinary, especially the night ones. Almost impossible to read the number plate of a distant vehicle. Initially i had brought this one thinking that it is of less price, but later i had to upgrade to MINI-0805.
Hey kavensri I agree because during the reviews I did notice many comments indicating the video quality of the transcend being far better than the blaupunkt. So will stick to the transcend. Meanwhile was also considering the Mini 805/806 which also really rock. How much time/ effort is required to finally have it delivered home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Contributing something from my side...

Have setup 2 dashcams in my car. One for the front and another for the rear. The front is powered using the front cigarette lighter port. For the read, I had already setup a USB port for back set using a car charger I have which has an extension which I have permanently placed in the back of the seat so my wife can charge her phone when she is sitting behind. It is a 2 Port USB extension and one port was unoccupied. I used that port to power the rear facing camera. The wire was routed from under the back seat mats and sides of the seats and such.

Here are 2-3 pictures, notice that in the first picture, you can see the main front facing dashcam and the rear facing one as well in the RVM.
That's a sweet setup your have there. Just for my information how useful has the rear dashcam been. There aren't too many who have opted for it so was just wondering.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:59   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
That's a sweet setup your have there. Just for my information how useful has the rear dashcam been. There aren't too many who have opted for it so was just wondering.
It has been just couple of days I set this up. So not sure if this will even be useful. But I have to test whether the camera will start on its own if my car is banged from back when it is stationary in parking. I have had an incident wherein my car was hit in parking lot when I was not around. Have to check the camera's settings for this. I know that it has Park Mode for sure. Have to fiddle with it. For actual driving, it may be useful if someone rear ended me.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:38   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Meanwhile was also considering the Mini 805/806 which also really rock. How much time/ effort is required to finally have it delivered home.
Takes 3 weeks to Delhi for most parcels. Wouldn't recommend the Mini series, they are not reliable.

Using one currently, which is a replaced piece. First got fried as soon as I connected it to a hard-wire kit meant for the Mini models. The replacement started acting up after I unplugged the camera without turning it off, from a HDMI connection.

For more on the Mini, read these posts

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3960454

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3974559

If you still want to go for the Mini series, 0826 is the one to go for.

If you are open to ordering from China, go for the A118C/B40 Pro type, super discreet compared to the Transcend and Blaupunkt models. These do not have a battery, they work with a super capacitor, good for operation up to 60-65° temperatures. The video quality is almost equivelant to the Mini series. These have been around for a while and have proved to be quite reliable. I've ordered one from Gearbest to go on the rear windscreen.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html

If you are willing to spend more, you could look at the Street Guardian SG9665GC, same look and form factor as the A118 but better internals, video quality and overall kit. Not available in India though. You'll have to order from eBay US. Cheaper on the eBay AU website but the sellers don't ship to India. I am planning to get one to replace the Mini 0805 for the front, when my friend travels back from Perth in June.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Street-Gu.../262407687705?

Some other things you'll require if you plan on hard-wiring.

Fuse tap, type will depend on the fuses in your car - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add-A...225438279.html

As I'm unable to find a good hard-wire kit, plan on using this -

An alternative hard-wire where the add-on socket sits in the glove box.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1M-1-...272214179.html

Extra length of wire, if required for the rear install

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...775134318.html

An easier alternate to hard-wiring but I'm little skeptical after reading around a bit.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...593086091.html
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 00:13   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Takes 3 weeks to Delhi for most parcels. Wouldn't recommend the Mini series, they are not reliable.

Using one currently, which is a replaced piece. First got fried as soon as I connected it to a hard-wire kit meant for the Mini models. The replacement started acting up after I unplugged the camera without turning it off, from a HDMI connection.

For more on the Mini, read these posts

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...593086091.html

Wow harsh that's an absolute treasure trove of information as regards anything and everything there is to do with respect to dashcams. 3-weeks seems a reasonable time for the cam to arrive assuming it takes same time as Delhi to Mumbai.
I have everything I need for making the dashcam decision including the DIY section and will go through the above post in full detail before making my decision.
Absolutely brilliant thanks again.
Old 24th May 2016, 06:32   #1013
BANNED

Quote:
I have everything I need for making the dashcam decision including the DIY section and will go through the above post in full detail before making my decision.
Absolutely brilliant thanks again.
I am currently using the MINI 0806 dashcam in my Swift.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...sh-camera.html

I am not sure about the rest but I am very happy with this dashcam and choice az compared to the rest. I am using a hardwire kit that is working reliably and functioning as it should.

Check the thread for details.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 10:48   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am currently using the MINI 0806 dashcam in my Swift.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...sh-camera.html

I am not sure about the rest but I am very happy with this dashcam and choice az compared to the rest. I am using a hardwire kit that is working reliably and functioning as it should.

Check the thread for details.
hii anurag thanks for the information. I had gone through your well detailed thread earlier and thats where i came to know about the mini series of dashcams. The best thing about the mini series is that true to its name it is compact and very inconspicuous which is really important in India and makes it a very strong contender. However the stretched out delivery periods is the only downer in this case.
Old 26th May 2016, 22:33   #1015
BHPian

Team,

What is the cheap and best dashcam which can be bought from US? One of my close friend coming to India next week? Please suggest the good options. I'm unable to conclude the good one.
Old 30th May 2016, 18:01   #1016
BHPian

Though a lot has been said about the Blaupunkt DVR20 has anyone tried the one from Transcned yet?

DrivePro 200
Old 30th May 2016, 18:23   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact.nitin7 View Post
Though a lot has been said about the Blaupunkt DVR20 has anyone tried the one from Transcned yet?

DrivePro 200
I have been using DP200 since more than a year and am extremely satisfied. You can see sample videos and reviews. This one does not have the GPS though.
Old 30th May 2016, 20:25   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact.nitin7 View Post

DrivePro 200
You can find reviews about DrivePro 200 here,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...h-cam-dvr.html
Old 30th May 2016, 20:53   #1019
BHPian

Had been looking at picking up the transcend drivepro 220 since a couple of days. The GPS seems like a really good addition especially when you have the option to backtrack a new route on the laptop. The price on amazon has been shooting up by the day with the starting price at 9999/_ a few days back to crossing 11000/_ today.
I also wonder how useful the WiFi feature would be though.
Old 31st May 2016, 08:20   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
I also wonder how useful the WiFi feature would be though.
I specifically went for DP200 for the WiFi (and wide angle) but it turns out to be sore thumb. The connection is not consistent. Even when connected, the transfer is very slow.
The biggest headache is, if the connection drops in-between, you cannot reconnect and the cam stuck in connection-acceptance mode. You cannot restart it as well. It stuck there until all the capacitor power is drowned, resetting the settings and date to initial configuration.

I'm using the cable to transfer the files now.
iamswift is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks