Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2016, 09:29   #856
BHPian

Anshuman, a word of advice, based on personal experience. Before using the stick-on clips, clean the area of any residual polish with something like the old Philips head cleaner we used in our cassette players. Else the double sided tape will come off very quickly. All the best.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 20:17   #857
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Thanks for offerig your help. If I cannot get this done through narayanang76 this weekend, then I will contact you and we can try to do it on a working day next week.
Meanwhile, please find the pictures that you had asked. Pardon me for the picture quality. If they are not useful, i will try to take it again and send it to you.
Kavensri, please take it to a friendly neighborhood accessories shop to install. It doesn't need a garage, any car accessories shop can fit it. I didn't do it myself, I was in the neighborhood of my fav accessories shop and the electrician installed my cam in 10 minutes flat, and all wires are completely hidden. They go from the dashcam on screen to the roof cover, run inside the A pillar, inside the glovebox, right at the 12 v socket. Not one wire visible anywhere. I stay in Marathalli, my accessory shop is in Sarjapur road. Am sure the Favara accessory shop in Tubarahalli in your neighborhood can do it too. Send me a pm, will share details of my Sarjapur road guy if you need. Trust me, its worth getting it done professionally cuz it can be done totally cleanly and in no time.

I will post pics of my install soon. Cheers.
Old 12th March 2016, 21:57   #858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
A 3 meter USB extender wire (http://www.flipkart.com/astrum-usb-2...CE5FYYM3HUZCZ8): Rs 150
That is a very good idea for a clean install. Even I had tapped the 12V signal from IRVM that is "ON", the moment the car is unlocked. But in practice, I am finding this to be not an ideal solution. Sometimes, I may open the car just to take out some materials inside the car. These times, the camera comes on and starts recording. There was once I had forgotten to lock the car and the camera was recording for almost 10 hours, overwriting all the videos. These issues will be solved if I connect the camera to the 12V socket, which is on only when the ignition switch is On.

I am thinking of ordering the USB extension cable and use this with the dual port charger to power the camera.

Can you please post some pictures of how the USB cable comes from behind the glove box to the 12V socket?
Old 13th March 2016, 12:29   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Kavensri, please take it to a friendly neighborhood accessories shop to install. It doesn't need a garage, any car accessories shop can fit it. I didn't do it myself, I was in the neighborhood of my fav accessories shop and the electrician installed my cam in 10 minutes flat, and all wires are completely hidden. They go from the dashcam on screen to the roof cover, run inside the A pillar, inside the glovebox, right at the 12 v socket. Not one wire visible anywhere. I stay in Marathalli, my accessory shop is in Sarjapur road. Am sure the Favara accessory shop in Tubarahalli in your neighborhood can do it too. Send me a pm, will share details of my Sarjapur road guy if you need. Trust me, its worth getting it done professionally cuz it can be done totally cleanly and in no time.

I will post pics of my install soon. Cheers.
Thanks for your suggestion. As I was not going for 'full invisible wiring'option, I took fellow bhpian narayanang76's help and got it done today morning. Special thanks to narayanang76. He got it done pretty neatly. I also had a look into his Scorpio where he has done the similiar thing at both front and rear. After seeing the rear camera setup in his scorpio, even I am planning to get it done in my car and I will be using my existing dashcam (Blaupunkt 2.0) at the rear.
I am yet to fix the new dashcam to the windshield screen. Once that is done, i will take some pictures and post them here.
Old 14th March 2016, 11:46   #860
BHPian

Quote:
I hope to install it over the weekend, will share updates soon.
I am looking forward to your updates. By the way, the link you have posted seems to be for A118 and not A118C. Can you verify ?
Old 14th March 2016, 12:45   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A 3 meter USB extender wire (http://www.flipkart.com/astrum-usb-2...CE5FYYM3HUZCZ8): Rs 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I am thinking of ordering the USB extension cable and use this with the dual port charger to power the camera.
The problem with extension cables is, they often eat up the input current/voltage and the output gets reduced. I had tried one such cable with 2.1 A charger, but I observed the output was reduced to less than 900mA while using this cable as against to 1.6 A when using a regular cable. The dashcam worked fine at the low amp current, but it wasn't getting charged and used to switch off abruptly, when the power was stopped. The last videos became corrupt.

Please share your finding with this cable.
Old 14th March 2016, 13:25   #862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The problem with extension cables is, they often eat up the input current/voltage and the output gets reduced. I had tried one such cable with 2.1 A charger, but I observed the output was reduced to less than 900mA while using this cable as against to 1.6 A when using a regular cable. The dashcam worked fine at the low amp current, but it wasn't getting charged and used to switch off abruptly, when the power was stopped. The last videos became corrupt.

Please share your finding with this cable.
Even I had the same doubt. The dashcam draws about 1A of current. If this results in high voltage drop in the cable, then this could affect the performance of the camera. As the cable was costing only 200 including shipping (the one Anshuman had used was out of stock in Flipkart), I have ordered one. I will do some tests with the extension cable and will update with the results. My camera is capacitor model and hence may not draw much charging current. So, I have a hope that it works fine.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 13:56   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
My camera is capacitor model and hence may not draw much charging current. So, I have a hope that it works fine.
+1. Capacitor model would work just fine even with the voltage drop. Just hope it doesn't drop too much. Upto 900 mA should be fine for the cam to operate normally.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 17:55   #864
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

I won this Dashcam in the ebay.com auction for $10.30
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-wdd50904283_20150904104541952.jpg
Full HD 1080P Car DVR Vehicle Camera Video Recorder Dash Cam G-sensor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371572946585

Is it worth the money?
Old 15th March 2016, 19:06   #865
BHPian

Finally something to share from my car's Dashcam- Flying helmet from a stupid rider could have landed anywhere and caused damage:
Old 15th March 2016, 22:04   #866
BHPian

Hi Friends. Looking forward to install dashcam in my Innova. One person suggested Blaupunkt 2.0. Need advise regarding dashcam. Pranxter the quality of your dashcam video is good.
Old 16th March 2016, 10:52   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I won this Dashcam in the ebay.com auction for $10.30
Attachment 1486077
Full HD 1080P Car DVR Vehicle Camera Video Recorder Dash Cam G-sensor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371572946585

Is it worth the money?
if possible to reject it or if not purchased already...DO NOT BUY THIS
My colleague bought this and we tested it extensively. Its a piece of crap.
  • They mention 1080p but the video looks like 180p.
  • They mention 170 dgree view angle but it must be half of that
  • Recorded audio is horrible
  • You can't recognise faces or registration plates of other vehicles

Its a waste of money-how much ever it might be. I wouldn't take it even if its for free!
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 13:11   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Its a waste of money-how much ever it might be. I wouldn't take it even if its for free!
You've reminded of me of something I used to say at management meetings: It doesn't matter how cheap it is, if it doesn't work, it's too expensive!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 15:27   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Hi Friends. Looking forward to install dashcam in my Innova. One person suggested Blaupunkt 2.0. Need advise regarding dashcam. Pranxter the quality of your dashcam video is good.
Though the 'day time' video quality is good, it is not the same for the videos taken at 'low light'. I brought it when there was an offer in snapdeal. After using it for more than 6 months or so, i decided to buy mini 0805. So, if your requirement is to get good quality videos under all conditions, then i suggest you to look for better ones.
Old 16th March 2016, 17:59   #870
BHPian

Kavensri you suggest which Dashcam for Innova. It should be good during day and night also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks