Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 11:40   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. B40/A118 - This is a very discreet design and is not easily visible from outside. This also has excellent daytime video, but average night time video. Has optional GPS. Go for capacitor version for better reliablity. This model is available from many manufacturers. Here are a few links. Costs $60 to $75

VIOFO A118C
SpyTec A118C
IMAX A118C
Auto VOX B40C
Checked the links for A118 from your post. The prices between gearbest and amazon have huge variations. Any idea whether the products sold on Gearbest are of good quality?
Old 4th March 2016, 12:33   #827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Checked the links for A118 from your post. The prices between gearbest and amazon have huge variations. Any idea whether the products sold on Gearbest are of good quality?
Not sure about the quality. If you notice, all these products have different brand names, but the same form factor, mechanical accessories etc. I did some searching and came across this web page.

https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/#St...uardian_Models

The B40/A118 model is manufactured by a Chinese company called Tiesfong. I believe Tiesfong is the single supplier to all these various brands who just rebrand it and sell it locally. In this case, I think the quality should be same. The difference should be in the after sales support offered by these brands.

Or there is a possibility that Tiesfong makes minor changes to the cameras as required by these brands.

Check this forum post at dashcamtalk.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...-reddit.16126/

This is an altercation between two suppliers Pier28 (who supplies StreetGuardian SG9665) and DriveWatch who imported from the same dashcam manufacturer in China.

Conclusion (not a helpful one though): I really do not know if there is quality difference between these cameras or just price difference But one thing for sure is that all these cameras come from one source!
Old 5th March 2016, 01:17   #828
BHPian

After two weeks of using the Mini 0805, faced the first issue yesterday.

Since its a Li-ion based cam, I've been careful not to leave it out exposed to the sun much.When parked I generally slide it out of its base in the morning, wrap it in a micro fibre and drop it into the glove box where it can stay cool.

Yesterday, I ended up being lazy and forgot to do that. At 2 PM I decided to go out and the cam powered on as usual when I connected the power. I reached my destination and I made things worse by leaving it connected when parked out in the sun since it was just for 30 minutes. I returned to notice nothing but steady red. Pressed the power button, no changes tried a reset by holding the power button. Still the same behavior. The camera hot to touch too due to its prolonged exposure to the sun. I decided to keep it unplugged at home for the rest of the night. The next morning I reconnected and it flashed back to life!

My take away from this: Don't leave it exposed to the sun for long. Ever.
If it freezes this way and a reset doesn't work, leave it unplugged for several hours. This should drain out the battery and finally cause it power off internally.
mukundz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 18:11   #829
Senior - BHPian

Those looking out for A118C, it is available on gearbest at http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html, at a deal of $50.19 right now using a coupon code of EA118CAM.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 21:09   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundz View Post
After two weeks of using the Mini 0805, faced the first issue yesterday.

My take away from this: Don't leave it exposed to the sun for long. Ever.
If it freezes this way and a reset doesn't work, leave it unplugged for several hours. This should drain out the battery and finally cause it power off internally.
That's scary. If Bangalore sun (assuming by your location) can do that, I am sure the Delhi summers will kill it completely! Will have to be careful. As of now though, I have covered parking at both work and home so it wont be out in direct sunlight, but gotta keep this in mind while parking elsewhere. Thanks for sharing! Till now, I was only worried about the base losing its adhesive in the sun and dropping!
Old 5th March 2016, 22:50   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Those looking out for A118C, it is available on gearbest at http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html, at a deal of $50.19 right now using a coupon code of EA118CAM.
Have you ordered from gearbest before? Is there any issue with customs and shipping if we order from gearbest? I really like the form factor of A118C and reviews seem to be good too but a bit apprehensive about buying from foreign sites.
Old 5th March 2016, 23:13   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Have you ordered from gearbest before? Is there any issue with customs and shipping if we order from gearbest? I really like the form factor of A118C and reviews seem to be good too but a bit apprehensive about buying from foreign sites.
No, I haven't of this value before, but quite a few have and don't think anybody faced any issues on these aspects. Guess there are recent buys on forum from gearbest, they should be able to answer. Just check in past few pages if any feedback on same too. Its a nifty camera for sure as I have seen.
Old 8th March 2016, 16:24   #833
BHPian

To the experts: do dashcams with no battery but capacitor power lose their date & time settings if the car is not started for a few days? I read somewhere that this is true; this will be a problem for me. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2016, 16:56   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
To the experts: do dashcams with no battery but capacitor power lose their date & time settings if the car is not started for a few days? I read somewhere that this is true; this will be a problem for me. Thanks.
This is true for non GPS models. GPS models sync with satellites within few minutes after long stand.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 17:51   #835
BHPian

Off late I see many people buying different brands. SJ4000 and its subsequent versions, which were once widely recommended are no longer bought (at least from the updates here). I too like many others is on the lookout for a dash-cam and was toggling with the idea of SJ4000 WiFi from quite sometime. My budget is around 7K - 8K and I would request fellow forum members to advice better brands if any at that price point apart from SJ.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 8th March 2016, 18:33   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I use Transcend Drive Pro 200 which has a capacitor. From my experience even with upto 10 days of non usage, date & time settings were unaffected. After the initial setup, so far I have not had to set it again. I take out my car only on weekends.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:18   #837
BANNED

I was using SJ1000 but after getting Android Chinese system installed in my car, I started using USB based car cam, supplied by the same manufacturer and it starts recording the moment the system boots up, recording in 8GB map card provided by them and it keeps on deleting old recordings while capturing new ones.
Old 8th March 2016, 22:47   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
.. after getting Android Chinese system installed in my car ..
I know it's OT here, please do post a review of sorts. Any links to the headunit you picked up? And how much did it cost you?
Old 9th March 2016, 01:06   #839
BHPian

Parsh: how much time does this take for delivery ?

has anyone here purchased from them, any first hand experiences ?
Old 9th March 2016, 01:20   #840
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Parsh: how much time does this take for delivery ?

has anyone here purchased from them, any first hand experiences ?
I have just bought a MINI 0806 from GearBest.com. You look at my purchase post a few pages back. I had paid $19 for Standard Shipping via EMS but it got shipped through Sweden Post Registered.

Furious, I raised a Ticket and asked why was it shipped through registered post. They replied saying the item is such that it is best if shipped through post rather than EMS. Also at the email, they have refunded the $19 to my account.

Delivery time seems to be between 11 - 25 days.

I hope there is no customs duty that I have to pay when I receive it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks