Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 11:34   #706
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Anshuman and Rohan, all those cameras look to have the correct specs. All you need to do is to make sure that the seller ships exactly what's mentioned in the ad and does not do a bait-and-switch of showing something and shipping something else.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 11:48   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi Ansuman,
Even, I was looking at following(under $100) dashcams which have similar specifications and good reviews
- Spy Tec A118-C Capacitor Edition
link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...h_gw_g422_i4_r
cost : $87
- Rexing V1 2.7"(mentioned by you)
link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...h_gw_g422_i3_r
cost : $100
- Black Box B40-C Capacitor + GPS Stealth Dash Cam
link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...h_gw_g422_i1_r
cost : $87
This has the GPS and capacitor(instead of battery), so I guess this is better than Rexing.
Thats very helpful, thank you Rohan. I am still more inclined to the Rexing V1, and my reasons are:
a) It has a battery. While a battery can be a negative, it can still be used if there is no vehicle power available - e.g., in an accident, or to just replay the footage. For this, the extra $13 seems ok.
b) The Rexing seems to have better customer support, and lot of internet coverage in terms of install ideas and so on. Gives me some added peace that it will actually work once I get it all the way to India from US.

Like you, my criteria for selecting were:
- Usable without a suction cup, does not take too much of eye space on the windshield
- G shock, auto recording, loop writing etc
- HD recording, wide angle coverage
- Long USB cable so it can be installed cleanly
- Lots of usage feedback, dont want to risk a faulty piece after going through the lengthy procurement from US

Thanks again!
anshuman_v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:29   #708
Senior - BHPian

Any views on the below stated dual lens dash cameras? Has anyone used these? Are these worth it?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dual-...501982208.html

I had a Mini0801 and started using it last week but looks like its not working properly. (Had bought and kept it inside for nearly a year and installed it only last week )

Last edited by Desmosedici : 11th February 2016 at 13:31.
Old 11th February 2016, 14:03   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Any views on the below stated dual lens dash cameras? Has anyone used these? Are these worth it?

I had a Mini0801 and started using it last week but looks like its not working properly. (Had bought and kept it inside for nearly a year and installed it only last week )
I have this in the i10. Try it out when we meet next week.
Old 11th February 2016, 14:17   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

The model you have shown is one with dual cam, and the screen that sits over the rear view mirror. While this is a very good premise, couple of practical points that I have gathered in my research so far:

- The LCD of this screen will typically not be as clear/bright as your rear view. Additionally, during night time driving - you might not be able to dim the reflection when some idiot puts a high beam glare while coming from behind you.
- Fitting over the rear view mirror again needs to be measured correctly, plus needs to be snug. You dont want a rattling piece right next to your ears while you drive.

Both these points can be taken care of if you get correct advise from someone who has used it; else its a bit of a hit-and-miss.

Also, in my humble opinion: dual cam setup is a bit of an overkill. You have to get a professional installer, cut a hole in your bumper, plus take care of overlaps with a reversing sensors (in case you have a reversing sensor already installed), and just have lots of wires running around. From a legal perspective, if you get read-ended, you are at an advantage already. So I wouldn't go for dual cam setup. Thats just my opinion, of course!

Last edited by anshuman_v : 11th February 2016 at 14:32.
Old 11th February 2016, 14:34   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
I have this in the i10. Try it out when we meet next week.
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post

- The LCD of this screen will typically not be as clear/bright as your rear view. Additionally, during night time driving - you might not be able to dim the reflection when some idiot puts a high beam glare while coming from behind you.
- Fitting over the rear view mirror again needs to be measured correctly, plus needs to be snug. You dont want a rattling piece right next to your ears while you drive.
Points Noted. Let me check the setup on latentpotential's car and i might have a better understanding.
Old 11th February 2016, 16:59   #712
Senior - BHPian

What are some options if the priority is that they be small and discreet, budget upto $100.
Old 11th February 2016, 19:09   #713
BHPian

1. Has anyone tried getting rid of the internal battery from GT300? The idea of keeping it inside the car all the time is making me restless as lithium ion batteries from China can't be trusted. Anyone here who keep the dashcam all the time in their car? Even during summers.

2. Where are the firmwares for the cameras available from? The chipset in this is not Novatek. It is General plus 1248 chipset.
Old 12th February 2016, 09:32   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What are some options if the priority is that they be small and discreet, budget upto $100.
There are plenty: Check out http://www.techmoan.com/ for some independent, detailed reviews on latest products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
1. Has anyone tried getting rid of the internal battery from GT300? The idea of keeping it inside the car all the time is making me restless as lithium ion batteries from China can't be trusted. Anyone here who keep the dashcam all the time in their car? Even during summers.

2. Where are the firmwares for the cameras available from? The chipset in this is not Novatek. It is General plus 1248 chipset.
Battery is mainly used for non-interruptive recording in case of car power failures. In situations like power from car power supply getting off, either accidently or manual switching off, the battery (or capacitor) aides the last clip getting recorded onto memory. In case of no battery or capacitor in some cases, the last clip gets corrupted or don't get recorded onto the memory.

Hence don't worry too much on Chinese batteries, but having that in the device is important to meet its real purpose.

Alternatively check out Dash Cams with Capacitor, that is an alternative to having battery on cams. Capacitors hold power for less than a minute and shuts down gracefully.

Cheers,
narayanang76
Old 12th February 2016, 13:51   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ended up ordering this fellow - http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Capaci...&keywords=a118

Its capacitor based so Delhi's high temperature wouldn't be a problem. Its got motion sensor also which was my secondary requirement when leaving my car parked.

Video quality in day is very good and night is about average. There really isn't any dashcam which can read license plates without adequate lighting in the night, unless looking at some BlackVue models retailing between $300-$500 which can really make good use of very low lighting condition and still give out Full HD zoomable output.

Its mounting on the windshield is one of the best things about it, absolutely discreet.

Will post a review once I use it for a few weeks.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 18:56   #716
BHPian

Quote:
I ended up ordering this fellow - http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Capaci...&keywords=a118

Its capacitor based so Delhi's high temperature wouldn't be a problem. Its got motion sensor also which was my secondary requirement when leaving my car parked.

Video quality in day is very good and night is about average. There really isn't any dashcam which can read license plates without adequate lighting in the night, unless looking at some BlackVue models retailing between $300-$500 which can really make good use of very low lighting condition and still give out Full HD zoomable output.

Its mounting on the windshield is one of the best things about it, absolutely discreet.

Will post a review once I use it for a few weeks.
This seems to be quite nice for the purpose and price is not hefty. Do post your review once you get it and I will also buy one soon. Thanks for finding this one!
Old 12th February 2016, 19:41   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Hence don't worry too much on Chinese batteries, but having that in the device is important to meet its real purpose.
narayanang76
So leaving it inside the car all the time is safe right?
Also noticed that when the camera points directly towards the sun, it shows a blackish dot on it.
Check it out
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-vlcsnap00002.png
Old 12th February 2016, 19:54   #718
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone tried Rexing V1 dash cam? It is highly rated in Amazon.com site.

http://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-R...ords=Mini+0806
Old 12th February 2016, 19:56   #719
BHPian

I had purchased this dual camera rear view mirror camera some time back and it's sweeeet. The LCD is quite nice and while it does get washed out in the sun, it's better than a lot of other LCDs available. For about 2 to 2.5k after cashback, it's an amazing deal.

It records in 1080p for the front cam and a much lower resolution for the rear. Both views are recorded simultaneously!
The rear camera is being used as a reversing camera.

Couple of downsides:

1) Huge file sizes - uses some old compression which results in 400 MB file size for 2 min video
2) Rear camera is not wide enough for using as a reversing camera. Should have used a wider angle lens

https://paytm.com/shop/p/crocon-disp...d%7CSearch%7C5
Old 12th February 2016, 23:20   #720
BHPian

Quote:
This looks very good. Where did you order from? Amazon doesn't seem to chip this to India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks