Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 14:06   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishhm74 View Post
Just received a mail from Aliexpress that my order of this item at 6$ is now frozen due to suspicious nature and until the seller provides surety it will hold and refund if it finds an issue here.
Yup i got the same mail too today. Well it was an eye opener for all of us i guess. Lets see when we would get our refund.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:14   #647
BHPian

Very disappointed to get the same email. Now will have to order another one. Any suggestions?
Old 1st February 2016, 14:15   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Very disappointed to get the same email. Now will have to order another one. Any suggestions?
The same GT300. For 20$. Worth it IMO.
Old 1st February 2016, 16:03   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The same GT300. For 20$. Worth it IMO.
Seems Novatek G30 can also be considered. Size seems to be bit bigger, Technical specification and price seems similar and have more IR LED's. 6 IR LED's, where as the GT300 has only 1.
Old 1st February 2016, 16:11   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yup i got the same mail too today. Well it was an eye opener for all of us i guess. Lets see when we would get our refund.
I too received such a mail from AliExpress informing that the order for Dashcam is frozen .
Old 1st February 2016, 17:13   #651
Senior - BHPian

I too have received the same mail.

I wonder why'd a seller with >97% credibility commit fraud for such a small amount. I don't think he's paid by the website till he ships the product, so it can't be a way to source working capital.

I somehow feel that the seller could've been planning to honor the orders from the next batch of cameras. Maybe that's why he would've extended the processing time.

Anyway, it could be anything, let's see.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:45   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
Seems Novatek G30 can also be considered. Size seems to be bit bigger, Technical specification and price seems similar and have more IR LED's. 6 IR LED's, where as the GT300 has only 1.
Don't shortlist based on IR LEDs, they are mostly useless (any number) on the budget dashcams. Check for the processor and sensor.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 17:49   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Don't shortlist based on IR LEDs, they are mostly useless (any number) on the budget dashcams. Check for the processor and sensor.
+1. Along with those, one needs to consider the file size for a given duration. Dashcams need to improve a lot on this front.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:56   #654
BHPian

Similar to many others order here with that particular vendor, my order is also frozen which I ordered on 22nd Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I somehow feel that the seller could've been planning to honor the orders from the next batch of cameras. Maybe that's why he would've extended the processing time.
I am doubtful of the above statement as the same vendor has re-listed the same model for about $40 in the website. The number of pieces of the model available with the vendor as noticed yesterday, was around 470. So we can conclude that he was not interested to honour our orders for the same at $5.6.

Moreover, our messages to him regarding shipping of our orders evoked no response and also to my knowledge, he never requested for extension of processing time
batman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 18:13   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
+1. Along with those, one needs to consider the file size for a given duration. Dashcams need to improve a lot on this front.
You said it. Dash cams need to improve a lot! These economic models don't have any video compression, don't have a proven night vision, don't have auto exposure settings. They should be able to read the number plates of vehicles at least within 9-10 meters.

But we couldn't expect much from a dash cam that's cost less than 20$.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:15   #656
BHPian

Hey guys ordered the Mini 0805 on GearBest for 62$.

Anyone who's recently ordered, any estimate on the shipping time to Bangalore? I selected SingPost for shipping options. Received an email yesterday that its been shipped out.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:54   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
You said it. Dash cams need to improve a lot! These economic models don't have any video compression, don't have a proven night vision, don't have auto exposure settings. They should be able to read the number plates of vehicles at least within 9-10 meters.

But we couldn't expect much from a dash cam that's cost less than 20$.
Serious question - if I can get a cheap dashcam in 20$ to confirm that it was not my fault, then any such cam should be fine enough, no?

If one has higher expectations as you have outlined, then i am agreeable to spend $100-150. As of now, I think my limited needs are okay with an inexpensive dashcam.

Am I thinking about it wrong? Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:44   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Serious question - if I can get a cheap dashcam in 20$ to confirm that it was not my fault, then any such cam should be fine enough, no?

If one has higher expectations as you have outlined, then i am agreeable to spend $100-150. As of now, I think my limited needs are okay with an inexpensive dashcam.
A "good" dashcam should be able to:

1) In case of an untoward incident, record a wide angle video (>140 degrees) of the entire incident with clear shot of the number plates, and that too during low light conditions e.g. during night.

2) To successfully implement point (1), the firmware have to be of excellent quality. It has to withstand temperatures exceeding 55-60 degree Celsius (which the inside of any car parked in summer time attains easily), and still function with the same precision. Not only while being driven around after a long time in the parking under sunlight, but while being parked as well (Motion sensor).

If this could be attained by a dashcam, however cheap it is, then its worth the deal.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:55   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
A "good" dashcam should be able to:

1) In case of an untoward incident, record a wide angle video (>140 degrees) of the entire incident with clear shot of the number plates, and that too during low light conditions e.g. during night.

2) To successfully implement point (1), the firmware have to be of excellent quality. It has to withstand temperatures exceeding 55-60 degree Celsius (which the inside of any car parked in summer time attains easily), and still function with the same precision. Not only while being driven around after a long time in the parking under sunlight, but while being parked as well (Motion sensor).

If this could be attained by a dashcam, however cheap it is, then its worth the deal.
Along with that, It should easily record at decent resolution 12-14 hours of video on a single card.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:57   #660
Senior - BHPian

I have been stalking dashcam's these days.
Recently on Goa trip in the year end, I saw quite some road rage on the Goa streets what with zooming loud cars and bikes (though they were a very few) and the same guys holding up traffic and later tormenting a car driver unnecessarily. Not that I have not seen it earlier anywhere else, but this was happening to a tourist car that was entering the Goa and those very few rugs behaving so with the tourist. So that sealed the thought of getting one.

Objectives are simple:
1. Capture any nuisance, indiscipline on road, traffic issues for self or others, decently usable in case needed
2. Capture our touring for own collection, so decent video capture is needed in daytime and sometimes night. I so much regret NOT-CAPTURING Ladakh moments last time in 2013. But will surely capture next time.
3. Dashcam should be as small as possible, inconspicuous by its presence, but not necessarily if it comes to price, as do not want to spend a hell lot on it. A118 is total stealth in that sense.

Definitely a complete high end one is not desired but a decently usable.

I have been checking out a lot of dashcams on YouTube and sites. There are quite a few options in varied ranges.

GT300 is definitely worthy to consider given its capture and videos seen so far, at the price range it retails, decent screen and form factor. It is also sold as some other brand (Monkon or something like that) in some other parts. It was highly on radar until this seller suddenly ramped up price to $40 from $6 which triggered alarm. Now it seems AliExpress is withholding the transactions. Not to worry guys, all should get their refunds. I have had good experience with AliExpress so far.

So off I went raising the budget limitation to $17-20 at which it is retailing on AliExpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-s...591474839.html

At the same time, GT300 is available for $15.20 on GearBest if anybody wants to grab quickly before deal runs out in few days.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_294480.html

I have seen videos of G30 which has same chipset of Novatek 96220, which also seems to have decent quality. The same is available below $10 on AliExpress. But problem with it for me is the bigger size and so many unnecessary LEDs visible from front, which I believe are useless for the webcam capture.

For me, I am now thinking a bit more.
I am now thinking of SJCAM SJ4000 rip-off SJ7000, which is available at a decent price on both sites, quality is good as per YouTube videos, nice small form factor, 2" screen, all nice accessories including bicycle and motorcycle mount, control available via wifi apps available on Google Store, SJCAM app supposedly works too (hopefully). However, that will need a car windshield suction mount and a car charger to be bought separately.

Last edited by parsh : 2nd February 2016 at 19:18.

Most Viewed