Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2024, 16:36   #5281
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am using 70mai A500S pro plus+ dual channel cam which I ordered online via Amazon. It is also available directly at the seller website. I took help from accessories shop near my place for concealed wire routing. Please note that you need to be careful for wire routing in case your car has side/curtain airbags. Mine has only 2 front airbags so it was straightforward.

There are other dascams from 70mai, Viofo, DDPAI, Qubo etc depending on your budget, features, battery type etc.
Thanks for the suggestions and inputs, I ended up ordering Viofo A229 Plus 2ch with CPL filters, let us see how it goes. Will have to look or find for a reliable place to install it without hardwiring but make sure side and curtain airbags are not affected while concealing wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
I recently got a Viofo A229 Plus 2ch Dashcam for my Kia Seltos.
Just curious...is there a way to install the Viofo App on the Car Infotainment System, so i can connect to the Camera and view the Recorded Videos on the 10 inch screen?
Did you figure this out? How is the cam working?
Ays7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 11:08   #5282

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsingh70 View Post
Hi,
I own a Safari XZA+ 2021 model. Recently I installed a VIOFO 229 pro dashcam in my vehicle. I connected the dashcam to front USB port . I observed that the dashcam is on even when the car is shut down and locked. Does the front USB port supply continuous power even when the car is shut ? If so then it takes away major hassle of hardwiring Dashcam.

Also i observed a strange thing. If i connect the dashcam to USB ports via a extension cable then for a moment the dashcam powers on then it shuts down. This is true for front USB or any other USB port including the 12 V socket . I tried with multiple extension cables but the result is the same. Any thoughts on it pls ?
Pls take a look at the voltage and current rating requirements of the dashcam. In my case, I managed this one ( SRS ABSOLUTE 4G AI Android13 Gen3 DashCam 24x7 Remote video/Parking Monitor ADAS GPS Bluetooth WiFi SIM MicroSD Map Youtube NightVision(2 Channel S12Ultra 12" 4G ADAS 4GB+64GB SRS Gen3 1TB Expandable) https://amzn.in/d/0cLRkQX) with the help of a new car charger with a high current rating and a fast charging cable
Ashishkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 11:47   #5283
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is the view from my Viofo A229 Plus 2ch Dashcam. Though I have got the CPL filter installed, the LED lights from my dashboard and also my Car Centre Console still do reflect on the windscreen. The LED lights can be switched off, but how do I get rid of the Car Centre Console glare??

Apart from that, something truly fantastic is that the machine is able to catch your voice instructions without fail with respect to wifi on/off, etc.

Old 2nd June 2024, 13:17   #5284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
This is the view from my Viofo A229 Plus 2ch Dashcam. Though I have got the CPL filter installed, the LED lights from my dashboard and also my Car Centre Console still do reflect on the windscreen. The LED lights can be switched off, but how do I get rid of the Car Centre Console glare??
CPL filter should help. While putting filter on the dascam (and before pushing it in place), it has to be rotated and positioned such that glare is eliminated or minimized as much as possible. Did it not work for you?
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:24   #5285
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
CPL filter should help. While putting filter on the dascam (and before pushing it in place), it has to be rotated and positioned such that glare is eliminated or minimized as much as possible. Did it not work for you?
Thanks, I had followed installation of CPL on the video to the tee as provided by VIOFO. I think its best if people do their installation during evening/nighttime as during the daytime there is no glare at all!! Changing the angle actually does work to get rid of the Centre Console glare, but I have installed the dashcam for the most optimum view, so it just wouldn't do to now have it facing the bonnet of the car.

VIOFO contacted me and gave me a workaround, I placed a napkin on top of the console and lo behold the problem got solved! I think it is a Renault Kiger specific problem with the way our Centre Console is placed. Attached is a video showcasing the same:

Before buying the Viofo A229 Plus 2ch Dashcam, I was contemplating whether to buy only the front facing camera as anything happening behind my back was not really my concern, but thankfully sane heads prevailed. People say speed kills, but last night, whilst traveling at speeds less than 10 kmph, we had a totally oblivious Zomato guy dashing into our car and falling onto the fast lane of the road. It's only god's grace that saved him; were there any speeding heavy vehicle instead of an auto and the guy would have been history.

I would be surprised if Raveena Tandon and the likes do not have the same installed on their car and I wonder why she wouldn't put the video out to absolve them of any blame.
Old 4th June 2024, 09:38   #5286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
Thanks, I had followed installation of CPL on the video to the tee as provided by VIOFO. I think its best if people do their installation during evening/nighttime as during the daytime there is no glare at all!! Changing the angle actually does work to get rid of the Centre Console glare, but I have installed the dashcam for the most optimum view, so it just wouldn't do to now have it facing the bonnet of the car.
Glad it worked for you. I was referring to the cpl filter rotation on its own axis when it is put on the lense and not the angle of the camera. You can have the camera pointing whichever way you like but while putting the cpl filter, rotate filter with your finger on its own axis and keep checking the glare. Once optimum view is achieved, filter can be pushed firmly in place. You can refer to part of this video which shows how to orient the filter. Please ignore if you have already tried and it didn't work for you.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 4th June 2024 at 09:55.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 18:07   #5287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post

Did you figure this out? How is the cam working?
No, have not got around it yet. I think the Infotainment should have support Google Playstore or install via Apk, if it supports it. Will have to check further on it.

Cam is working great and as expected. Faced issue with Dash reflection, which got sorted for the most part by fitting CPL Filters. It's more like one time setup, apply correct settings and then forget it and let it do it's job.
abhi3284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 19:03   #5288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
No, have not got around it yet. I think the Infotainment should have support Google Playstore or install via Apk, if it supports it. Will have to check further on it.

Cam is working great and as expected. Faced issue with Dash reflection, which got sorted for the most part by fitting CPL Filters. It's more like one time setup, apply correct settings and then forget it and let it do it's job.
Thanks, I have also gotten a dash cam installed on Sunday, but have barely driven 2 kms after that so haven't had a chance to fiddle with it much, will see how it goes once I use it on a proper drive.
Old 4th June 2024, 21:31   #5289

Which is a good type of dashcam?

New chap

Hey everyone, I'm a new teambhp member, although I don't drive I still am very much of an enthusiast. Recently I had an itch to install a dashcam in a car for safety purposes.

Confusion

Now there are a ton of options in the market but which one is the most vfm is still a question unanswered. I also needed to see if the options I have are compatible with the car or not(as camera angles differ from one windshield to another). I found a rearview mirror / dual channel dashcam made by a company called Aoocci. Here's the dashcam: https://aoocci.com/products/wireless...irror-dash-cam.

Alternatives

Apart from this I also checked out the DDPAI mola E3 and 70mai S5
00, but none of them come with wireless android auto/ carplay and I was thinking if I can get one with dashcam then why not.
The other option was getting a decent android car stereo and pair it to a dual channel dashcam and install the dashcam app on stereo to use rear camera as a parking camera.

I also checked out a review of the aoocci dashcam on youtube and it seems pretty good, however I feel its better to get a different perspective or opinion in this matter.

The dashcam will be installed on a 2009 Mahindra Xylo, and as you know Xylo never got a Android stereo even in the later versions, aftermarket ones are not suitable as the positioning of the display will be distracting.
The only Xylo-based car to ever get it was the Nuvosport but so far no luck in sourcing it from websites and mahindra dealerships. And I feel that it shouldn't be too expensive, anything under 15k is fine =) .

Hope to get a good resolution and I'm open to any ideas/suggestions anyone has. Thanks in advance.
veyron_music is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 16:52   #5290
BHPian

I recently replaced my 7 year old Yi Smart Dashcam with an ‘Viofo A119 mini 2’. I wasn’t happy with the details my old cam could capture, especially after a recent incident where I couldn’t get the number plate of a Brezza that was driving wrong side on the Bangalore Mysore Expressway. I did a lot of research and narrowed down to Viofo A119 mini 2 as this was the cheapest one with a 2K Starvis 2 sensor. There were a lot of credible reviews from US based reviewers who are usually more technical and are not doing marketing gimmicks unlike many Indian reviewers.

Most of the other dashcams in this price range had starvis 1 or are were not specific about sensors. Many had upscaled resolution advertised too.

I didn’t go for a dual camera as I already have a basic but decent rear cam and want excited about routing a cable all the way back. Also, it helps in ASCs 🙂.

Camera is wonderful except for the dashboard glare. I will live with it than going for a 2.5k CPL filter. I installed it on the black ceramic painted area of the glass on driver side and routed the cable perfectly concealed around the passenger side. This meant I couldn’t use the static sticker too. I couldn’t install it on the passenger side as I wouldn’t be able to install it high enough to be concealed as the power cable wouldn’t fit due to the ADAS module which is towards the passenger side. This in a way helped as I can reach the camera when needed and, it being small, doesn’t cause much obstruction.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_4289.jpeg

I purchased from Viofo.in where the seller was giving an additional 1000 off on UPI payment. You can contact them from the site using chat.

A few tips while choosing Dashcam.
  • Look for Dashcam with Starvis 2 sensors. Their detail capturing ability and WDR are a class better than any other sensors, including Starvis 1.
  • A lot of cameras in Indian market doesn’t advertise true resolution but upscaled resolution. Verify against the sensor spec. In most of the cases, you just need a 2K camera with a good sensor.
  • Avoid cameras with Li ion battery and choose those with super capacitors.
  • Many dual dashcams comes with 1080p rear camera. A separate rear cam may be economical, better quality and gives you redundancy, better if you have provision to install it separately.
  • Try to assess the reviewers based on the technical details they share. Many reviewers are just influencers looking for affiliates commission.
impala is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 08:44   #5291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamship View Post
Has anyone ordered DDPAI dashcams directly from ddpai store. I found the DDPAI MOLA N3 PRO DUAL DASHCAM on their site, and it looks like they ship to India.

https://store.ddpai.com/en-in/produc...39858124783689

Do they ship from outside India and I have to pay custom duty or do they maintain stock in India?

I recently ordered DDPAI Mola N5 from ddpai website and they shipped it perfectly fine without any hassle of import duty etc.
Further trick is to add the product and then leave and they gave another $10 discount on the product

The product reached in about 15 days at my location and they revert back quickly in case of any concerns.

Looking forward to getting it installed for peace of mind.
n13tzsche is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 18:19   #5292
BHPian

I am currently running the Wolfbox 840H rear view mirror cam mounted with the rubber bands on the existing OEM IRVM of the Mahindra Thar 2021. However, I recently procured the hardwire kit and also the mounting bracket sold by Wolfbox.

This mounting bracket is supposed to replace the OEM IRVM and should slide-fit onto the OEM mounting wedge that's glued to the windshield. So far so good!

However, when I took off the Thar's OEM IRVM, I noticed that the OEM wedge mount is a different shape than Wolfboxs' supposedly universal mounting bracket. Following are some pictures.

This is the mounting wedge glued to the windshield.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-thar_oem_mount.jpg

This is the OEM IRVM rear that fits onto the wedge shown above.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-thar_oem_irvm.jpg

This is the Wolfbox mounting bracket which refuses to slide onto the OEM wedge.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mount.jpg

So now am looking for that little wedge thingamajig that is compatible with the Wolfbox bracket. And am hoping there's a way to take out the OEM wedge off of the windshield, glue the new one (which I don't have yet) in its place, slide on the Wolfbox bracket onto it, and finally mount the dashcam onto the bracket; just writing all that makes me sweat! Help me out please. Where can I find that wedge thingy? Or is there an alternate solution to my predicament?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 9th June 2024, 19:25   #5293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
So now am looking for that little wedge thingamajig that is compatible with the Wolfbox bracket. And am hoping there's a way to take out the OEM wedge off of the windshield, glue the new one (which I don't have yet) in its place, slide on the Wolfbox bracket onto it, and finally mount the dashcam onto the bracket; just writing all that makes me sweat! Help me out please. Where can I find that wedge thingy? Or is there an alternate solution to my predicament?

Any help is much appreciated.
Find windshield experts nearest to your home. Go and ask the technician/installer to remove this for you. Will take less than 5 minutes to remove it.

You can yourself do it too, you just need to apply little heat to loosen up the butyl. Then you can clean off the glass and apply the new one with butyl.

Have done this number of times. Always better when done by a professional.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 19:30   #5294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Find windshield experts nearest to your home.
Thanks, and yes, I actually did visit a couple of those installers and they would do the job, but the bigger problem is finding the wedge thingy that fits! They didnt have it nor could provide any meaningful leads to procure it. If I had that little part, a large part of my problem is solved.
Old 9th June 2024, 19:55   #5295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Thanks, and yes, I actually did visit a couple of those installers and they would do the job, but the bigger problem is finding the wedge thingy that fits! They didnt have it nor could provide any meaningful leads to procure it. If I had that little part, a large part of my problem is solved.
It's just a regular mount used in Hyundai cars. IIRC, even Toyota uses the same ones as per your picture. Any good windshield replacement will have these in plenty. *PLENTY*

If not, then wait a couple of minutes. Whenever any car comes in for replacement ask the installer to save the mount for you. Tip him something. He'll do it for you.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks