Old 11th December 2023, 21:31   #4996
mxx
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Has anyone tried Izi drive dashcam?
https://www.izicart.com/collections/...47278399455516
Old 12th December 2023, 15:06   #4997

I finally ordered two units of A119 Mini 2 with a CPL each. With 2 Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB cards, the total cost was about USD 300, same as price of A229 Plus 2CH on viofo.in. I could have got A229 Plus 2CH + CPL + 256GB card for USD 225 but there was no support available from viofo.in. So, decided to compensate that risk with having redundancy. Not sure if it was a good decision but I hope to have better rear recording quality with CPL and 18+ hours of driving time before videos get overwritten.

Need inputs from people who have tried this or similar combination about installation (I am not hardwiring). Does the length of original cable suffice for the rear camera? If not, what is a better option: (a) power both from the main 12V source at dashboard (b) power the rear one with 12V source present in the middle row of my car (Innova Crysta)?

Option B may not look elegant, but option A requires purchasing USB-C extender cable and dealing with the uncertainty that current flow from 12V socket is insufficient to power to independent cameras (or the risk that electrical overheating causes damages).
Old 13th December 2023, 15:02   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklucky View Post

Need inputs from people who have tried this or similar combination about installation (I am not hardwiring). Does the length of original cable suffice for the rear camera? If not, what is a better option: (a) power both from the main 12V source at dashboard (b) power the rear one with 12V source present in the middle row of my car (Innova Crysta)?
Congratulations on A119 Mini purchase.

Since these are single channel dashcams, your original cables wont have enough length to power the rear camera from front 12V socket. And to pull it from middle row 12v socket also you will need a lengthy cable to hide them properly. You will need to buy a typical 6 meters longer cable for this. A dual channel dashcam would have made it easier in my view.

Cheers,
narayanang76
Old 14th December 2023, 02:30   #4999
BHPian

Review of 70mai Rearview Mirror Dual Dashcam (Midrive D07)

Product link: Amazon.in
Car: Mahindra Thar (Feb 2021)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Review ~ 1.5 years of ownership (18 months)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros:
  • I appreciate the good reversing camera with a wide field of view.
  • The big screen is a plus.
  • Both the on-screen UI and the app are relatively easy for me to use.
  • The dashcam recording quality is satisfactory.
Cons:
  • I disabled the emergency recording feature because it's triggered easily by India's rumble speed breakers and patched-up pothole bumps.
  • Lane departure warnings are not useful in India, so I disabled them as well.
  • Parking surveillance doesn't serve its purpose, so I disabled that too.
  • After about a year (outside the warranty period), the internal battery died. If I don't drive the car for an hour in the last 24 hours, the dashcam's internal clock resets upon the next ignition. I have to either manually set the time or use the time sync feature on my phone over WiFi. It would have been better if 70mai used a replaceable coin cell for its time controller. 😑 (The time sync issue is irritating enough to make me consider buying a different one.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Update after ~ 3 years of ownership (142 months)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I sourced a replacement battery from Nexdigitron, the official reseller for 70mai in India, but they initially sent me the wrong battery (HMC 1450) meant for the older Midrive D04 model. The correct battery is a flat Micro LiPo battery (FT582535P) with specifications 1.7Wh, 3.7V, and 470mAh.

Around the same time as the battery replacement, my dashcam started randomly rebooting. It would happen within a few minutes of the car starting and at other random times. I considered the possibility of the SD card wearing out quickly, so I replaced it, but that didn't resolve the issue.

Next, I examined the power supply. I use the dashcam in hardwired mode with the official hardwire kit using a fuse tap (I chose hardwiring to clean up the area around my center console). The fuses were intact (they had failed earlier, but I replaced them with new ones). When I connected the dashcam to a 20W Apple charger via a Micro-USB cable, there were no reboots. This made me suspect that the power supply to the dashcam was faulty.

However, I wondered why the inbuilt battery didn't kick in if there was a momentary power supply failure. It's supposed to work for a few minutes after the car is turned off. Maybe it is just the replacement battery being faulty. Maybe it doesn't function like a UPS. At this point, I've given up on finding a solution and am hesitant to replace the power supply and wiring to fix the reboots.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0142-large.jpeg
strawmUnkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 08:27   #5000
BHPian

Does anyone know to start audio recording adhoc (whenever I need, mostly may be in case of an incident) on 70mai dual channel A500s ? I thought the emergency video recording will have audio but it does not.

Without the rear camera connected, the 1st button has an option to start recording audio. It changes to show rear camera view with rear connected. Is there any way to enable this option? I don't want to always record audio, that can be enabled through the settings
Old 15th December 2023, 13:22   #5001
BHPian

Initial impression/review of 70mai Dashcam

Model name: A800s Front & Rear
Car: Virtus GT

Ever since the purchase of our Virtus GT, I want to install the dashcam. I did not want to void warranty. So I checked with VW for the Blaupunkt dashcam. Though it doesn't have multiple features compared to other brands, I wanted to go hardwire installation done by VW itself. Dealership told me that they have ordered it and waiting for the stocks to be arrived. I kept checking every week. But then no positive response from their side. Therefore I decided to check the accessories shops in Chennai physically to see the models available. Since there are so many positive reviews on Thinkware, I decided to go with that. But it looks like only hardwiring is available with Thinkware dashcam. Eventually the warranty will get void if hardwiring is done. So I looked for other options and finalised installing 70mai A800s connecting with 12V socket.

Front Camera

The Front camera is installed behind the rear view mirror, so that it doesn't distract the driver.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_2010.jpg

Rear Camera

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_2011.jpg
I have purchased & done the installation in a shop called Carspark, OMR. He took about 30 to 40 mins approx for the installation. Bought 128gb card along with the dashcam.

Observations/Feedback
  • Initially the voice assist was bit disturbing while changing lanes. So disabled the voice.
  • I have changed the emergency video sensitivity setting to low, as the voice assist kept announcing that during B2B traffic
  • Wifi connection to dashcam is slightly an issue when connected with VW carplay. In order to access the album we need to go to wifi option in our phone and connect the 70mai wifi to access or download the album without any hassles
  • I changed the setting of screen time to 30 secs to turn off. The passenger felt better this way.
  • The clarity of the front cam with 4k option is impressive. Rear camera clarity is good as well. nothing to complain about. You can check the videos below.
  • The duration of videos setting I preferred to opt is 1 minute. Once the album is accessed, it works flawless. Based on the internet connection the videos download faster.
  • App is pretty much easy to use.
  • I disconnect the 12v connection only when I park in my home. And also I turn off the dashcam wifi connection off except when I want to download the videos.
  • The recording has all the data includes time, date, speed, location.
  • The emergency video recording album is almost useful.
Been using this dashcam for a month. I found it pretty useful and I feel secure while driving in traffic. I will keep update on the same in the upcoming days.

Attached the videos below for quality reference.

Front Camera view - Evening

Front Camera view - Night

Front Camera view - Rain
The rain was much intense than it was recorded. This was the start of the recent storm rain happened in Chennai. We were lucky enough to reach Chennai before the rain turned much stronger.

Rear Camera - Evening

Rear Camera - Night

Photo taken using the 70mai App option

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-70mai.jpg
Cheers
Shiva

Last edited by shiv4747 : 15th December 2023 at 13:30.
shiv4747 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 18:09   #5002
BHPian

I recently bought and installed a new Viofo A229 pro in my car and wrote an initial review for the same. Cross-posting the link and not making a duplicate post. Read the review herehttps://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...am-review.html (Viofo A229 Pro 4K Car Dash Cam Review).
drive.helios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 17:02   #5003

I am using a Qubo 4k dual channel dashcam. I have two issues that i am facing and wanted to see, if anyone from this group can help.
I am not able to update the Qubo dashcam software but everytime, there is a pop up saying that there is an update available for the device.
Not sure, if i need to be connected to the device using wifi, which means the 4g or 5g connection should be stable while attempting to do the software update. I tried to check on this with the support - their only advice is to clear the cache and reinstall the application and then try!
If anyone know the step by step instructions to do the software update to the Qubo dashcam, it would be helpful.

Secondly, I removed the sd card from the device and tried to view the files in my desktop. There are files that starts with M (each file is only 20 mb) and it works fine with audio in VLC player, but there are files that starts with H (each file is 160 mb or so) and it plays in VLC but the video isn't clear but looks washed / white pixels only are visible.

Anyone who knows to resolve the above, please share your inputs. Thanks very much.
Old 19th December 2023, 17:41   #5004
BHPian

Cross posting from the Alcazar review thread.

I bought a Viofo A229 for the Dark Knight.

A little report is as below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5682922 (Hyundai Alcazar Review)
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:11   #5005

Hi, can anyone please suggest a good dashcam (front and back) installation person in Mumbai? Around Andheri East - Powai would be great!

Also, I'm getting a 70MAI A810 for my XUV 4OO.
1) Will it void warranty if we do a direct fuse box connection?

2) What is the risk of 12V battery drainage if a fuse box connection is done?

3) How long does the backup battery last in parking mode if powered through the 12V lighter socket? Couldn't find any info online
Old 24th December 2023, 14:30   #5006
BHPian

hi Team-BHP,

I am trying to buy Viofo A119 from US, either on Amazon or on Viofo website.

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/318-viofo...nsibility.html
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-viofo-a119-optional-accessories-1.png
Please look at the link above, there are several optional accessory options available. I am naive and not knowledgeable on dashcams and their installations and hence I am unable to choose the right accessory kit. Can you please guide me to choose the right accessory kit?

regards,
Rajesh

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 24th December 2023 at 14:31.
Old 24th December 2023, 14:42   #5007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
hi Team-BHP,

I am trying to buy Viofo A119 from US, either on Amazon or on Viofo website.
Hello, I would avoid all the accessories other than the CPL filter and just get the camera.

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th December 2023 at 14:45.
Old 26th December 2023, 09:48   #5008

Hi, I'm new here.
Installed the 70mai A500S dual Dashcam on my car.
Got the hard wiring kit as well
Got a reasonably rated local installer to do the job

Had a few questions regarding the unit. But I'll get to that later.

There is banding on the screen.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img20231225wa0012.jpeg

Do you think this is a problem with the unit or an incorrect installation problem?

On a side note the app is prompting me to update the Dashcam software. Could this be a solution?

Thanks in advance
Old 27th December 2023, 18:42   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv4747 View Post

Initial impression/review of 70mai Dashcam

Since there are so many positive reviews on Thinkware, I decided to go with that. But it looks like only hardwiring is available with Thinkware dashcam. Eventually the warranty will get void if hardwiring is done. So I looked for other options and finalised installing 70mai A800s connecting with 12V socket.
I spoke to Thinkware person and he says that only if we want to install the parking monitoring feature hardwiring and connectivity from fuse box is needed. For just the front/rear cam functionality, its simple plug and play using the 12v socket is what he says. I am not aware of the technicalities on this and hence it would be helpful if you can opine on this.
Old 28th December 2023, 10:28   #5010

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
I spoke to Thinkware person and he says that only if we want to install the parking monitoring feature hardwiring and connectivity from fuse box is needed. For just the front/rear cam functionality, its simple plug and play using the 12v socket is what he says. I am not aware of the technicalities on this and hence it would be helpful if you can opine on this.
For Active Parking monitoring system, camera would need to be on even when ignition/ car electricals are off, which would require constant power supply. In Most cars 12V socket turns off when ignition is off and hence connecting Dash cam would work only when ignition is on.

In some cars/ models 12V socket remains on even when ignition is off and dash cam would get constant supply even when off. However, there are 3 issues with that.
1. Cam would not know when car was turned off and would continue in continous recording mode.
2. Dash cam would drain car battery if car is left unused for few days. There's no fail safe auto cam shutdown if car battery voltage drops below certain level (Unaware if any cam offers this feature)
3. Your 12V socket is permanently engaged which could be avoided.

Hence, the hardwiring. Handles all of the above 3 points. Downside is complexity of installation and tinkering with electricals.
lord_almighty is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks