Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2023, 15:29   #4966
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzen6 View Post
I see that the latest VIOFO models have been launched and are available in stock with the Starvis 2 lens (which seems to be a massive improvement)
Starvis 2 has been available for quite a while now but on Viofo it was available only on A139 Pro which is their flagship product. Now they've added it to A229 as well.

Quote:
I was impressed with 3channel vs the 2 channel (so kinda convinced with the 3ch ones)
You don't need a 3-CH one unless you want to make a vlog or are running a taxi. The 3-CH ones available in India don't have Front+Rear+Side setup. Instead they have Front+Rear+Interior setup. Not needed for private cars.

Quote:
I was not too impressed with the other budget brands such as Qubo or 70mai (or Am i missing something here?)
If you can spend over 10k then avoid Qubo & 70MAI. If you have the budget then go for Viofo. Otherwise look at DDPAI.

Quote:
Also I don't want any ugly wires dangling around my car - if I go for hardwiring will it void my BMW warranty? Clearly don't want that.
You don't need to hardwire to avoid dangling wires. Wires can easily be concealed behind panels & roof liner.

Hardwiring might void your warranty - unless you can get it in written form from BMW that it won't. So you might not want to risk it. Its not just warranty, insurance claims can also run into problems in such cases.
amitgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 18:35   #4967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have installed only one so far. I didn't have time to do the second one before I left for Udupi. Plus I need some extra tools from the rear one.
The footage from the front camera appears super useful. The number plates from a few placed I paused look clearly legible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
Please find below the video samples for both front and rear cam for night footage. Please set the video quality to 1440p.
Same observation for the front camera, but something is amiss about the rear footage. There seems to be excessive glare. Are you able to pause and read number plates of vehicles parked by the road side? Please see if you can add a CPL filter to reduce glare.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 19:06   #4968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
camera, but something is amiss about the rear footage. There seems to be excessive glare. Are you able to pause and read number plates of vehicles parked by the road side? Please see if you can add a CPL filter to reduce glare.
There is no cpl filter for the rear. Excess glare is unavoidable according to the supplier. I have been seeing the same issue. Its way more worse than other cameras however. Still i am trying to figure out how to fix this. The glare I have found is mostly caused by excessive overhead street lighting. Will try and post comparative videos soon.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 06:22   #4969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I have the "70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel" dashcam installed in my car. It has front and rear camera. The rear one seems to be broken due to the wire getting pulled.
How is your experience with this camera? How is the image quality? Is the battery based dash cam worse off than capacitor based?

I am looking to purchase either your model or the A810. But not sure whether the A810 is worth the extra price.

Also, if your car is park in the open under the sun do you face any issues with the camera overheating?

Regards,
Old 24th November 2023, 09:52   #4970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Same observation for the front camera, but something is amiss about the rear footage. There seems to be excessive glare. Are you able to pause and read number plates of vehicles parked by the road side? Please see if you can add a CPL filter to reduce glare.
So the glare is quite evident but the Sony starvis 2 sensor keeps the picture quality sharp. Uploading two more videos below pertaining to the rear cam day time footage. One was where the car is in motion and the other one where the car is parked temporarily roadside. I have enquired about the cpl filter with Vijay bhai. Let's say even if it's not available, if more number of users report about the glare from the rear camera, may be they will make one available.

Video 1 Captures 8 am footage. I had downloaded it particularly to capture a school bus breaking a signal early morning. I am even uploading the screenshot that I took to capture the number plate which was on the rear left side of the vehicle. The licence plate readability is good for the rear cam.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20231120_194528_gallery.jpg

The second video captures a passerby ogling at the car and taking a few snaps. This is around noon. May be he is smitten by the Lava Blue colour of the Slavia.

AlokSharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:34   #4971
BHPian

How did people resolve the always on issue when connected from cigarette lighter?

I recently bought a Nexdigitron dashcam and fitted it to the cigarette lighter slot. It is always on now. Afraid that it will drain the battery soon. Removing and reinserting the cig lighter for every drive is not an option.
Old 24th November 2023, 10:40   #4972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The second video captures a passerby ogling at the car and taking a few snaps. This is around noon. May be he is smitten by the Lava Blue colour of the Slavia.

https://Youtu.be/PaDixcK54U4?si=wuECwQlLSDwh2kfX
He seems to be focusing only on the number plate if you look closely, not so much the rest of the car.

I don’t know, maybe too much black coffee this morning lol.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:55   #4973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
How did people resolve the always on issue when connected from cigarette lighter?

I recently bought a Nexdigitron dashcam and fitted it to the cigarette lighter slot. It is always on now. Afraid that it will drain the battery soon. Removing and reinserting the cig lighter for every drive is not an option.
Not all cars have 'Always ON' cigarette lighter. If your car does, then you should not leave the dashcam connected when the car is off.

Hard wiring can help in your situation but not sure if it would interfere with warranty. May be you can mention which car you have and members could provide their specific feedback regarding hard wiring.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 13:26   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
He seems to be focusing only on the number plate if you look closely, not so much the rest of the car.

I don’t know, maybe too much black coffee this morning lol.
Lol. If you notice he later comes to take a side profile also.

I will be talking to Vijay bhai to may be put together a cpl filter for the rear camera. Even if this takes 2-3 months, it would be worth the wait and will significantly reduce the glare.
AlokSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 17:11   #4975
BHPian

I am using Wolfbox mirror based dual dashcam for a while now.

While I am happy with the video quality, I am facing one issue. The bulk of the mirror mounted screen on IRVM has loosened the ball joint and it does not hold the position. Which then results into front camera capturing sky footage

There is no screw or fastener in IRVM to fasten the ball joint. How do I fix this issue? I am thinking to use 3M tape.

I will post the dashcam review soon.
Old 24th November 2023, 17:57   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Lol. If you notice he later comes to take a side profile also.

I will be talking to Vijay bhai to may be put together a cpl filter for the rear camera. Even if this takes 2-3 months, it would be worth the wait and will significantly reduce the glare.
So I have spoken to Vijay bhai from Viofo who has confirmed that number of people have told him about the excessive glare from the rear camera and he has raised it with the parent company. In 1-1.5months, they will release a CPL filter for the same.
Old 25th November 2023, 00:39   #4977

Quote:
So I have spoken to Vijay bhai from Viofo who has confirmed that number of people have told him about the excessive glare from the rear camera and he has raised it with the parent company. In 1-1.5months, they will release a CPL filter for the same.
Hello Alok,

Thats a great news to hear if the company is heeding customer feedback. I noticed the A229 Plus is back in stock. Since we both have the same car, would you mind sharing the position of both your cameras in pictures for my reference? It would be very helpful as I can stick Fast tag accordingly then.

Regards
SpikeSpiegel26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 19:23   #4978

Update to all: I bought the VIOFO A229 Plus (3 Channel) and got it delivered today. I didn't go with Wolfbox because of lack of Starvis 2. Dealing with Vijay from Viofo was really smooth and a great experience.

I was going back and forth between the 4K vs 2K variant, but finally closed on 2K variant because it was already Starvis 2 and I felt 4K would become overkill, even for the SD card.
I was more keen on 3 channel instead of 2 channel because of ability to record moments within the car with my fellow passengers.

I got the hardwiring kit, but will wait and watch by first installing normally and then take a call on hard wiring after a few months.

I got the Sandisk Max Endurance card 128GB (256GB not available on stock).

PS: I got Vijay to activate the listing on Amazon as suggested by another member to gain an additional discount of around 4.5k through my amazon vouchers. Net price for the Dashcam unit was around 25.5K.

Thanks to fellow members who helped me make this decision, cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-viofo.jpg  

darkzen6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 00:59   #4979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeSpiegel26 View Post
Hello Alok,

Thats a great news to hear if the company is heeding customer feedback. I noticed the A229 Plus is back in stock. Since we both have the same car, would you mind sharing the position of both your cameras in pictures for my reference? It would be very helpful as I can stick Fast tag accordingly then.

Regards
Hi,

So I have put the fast tag in the top left corner of the windscreen. This is to accomodate the front dashcam. The fast tag works flawlessly and there is not even a single issue that I have faced in the last 10-15 days with it not being read at the toll booths.

Regarding the position, the front cam is put up behind the rear view mirror, slightly on the left side. This is the perfect position according to me and doesn't hamper any sort of visibility whatsoever. Attaching pictures below for your reference.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20231125_233345.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20231125_233302.jpg

The rear cam is exactly in the middle of the centre headrest when you see from inside. Again attaching a picture for your reference.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20231126_005531.jpg
Old 26th November 2023, 15:18   #4980
BHPian

I want to install a dash cam with 2 channels in my 2023 Verna. The dealer is not keen on installing since they want to sell their dash cam which I am not interested in.

If i get it done from a local installer, I am a bit concerned on how the cables will be routed for rear camera installation around the curtain airbags.

Don’t want to install the camera at the risk of damaging the airbags during installation.

Has someone with the Verna having side curtain airbags installed the dash cam? Hope have the cables been routed?

Regards,
gpagedar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks