Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2023, 10:56   #4951
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Great! Could you please post night footage from both cams as well?
Please find below the video samples for both front and rear cam for night footage. Please set the video quality to 1440p.

Front Cam Night Footage

Rear cam night footage
AlokSharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 11:30   #4952
BHPian

I have a Nexdigitron A3 dashcam. It's not recording anymore. The red light that's at the back of the device, it's not lit. But there is a constant blue light at front side that ON. I tried resetting the device, but that's not helping.
Anybody faced the same issue? Any suggestions to overcome the problem other than contacting the customer care? Pls let me know
Old 19th November 2023, 14:52   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitnair View Post
I have a Nexdigitron A3 dashcam. It's not recording anymore. The red light that's at the back of the device, it's not lit. But there is a constant blue light at front side that ON. I tried resetting the device, but that's not helping.
Anybody faced the same issue? Any suggestions to overcome the problem other than contacting the customer care? Pls let me know
Could it be due to memory card gone bad. Try using another card and check.
Old 19th November 2023, 17:03   #4954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Great! Could you please post night footage from both cams as well?
I have installed only one so far. I didn't have time to do the second one before I left for Udupi. Plus I need some extra tools from the rear one.

Here is the night video from from A229Plus front camera. Waiting for Sony Starvis 2 sensor was worth it.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th November 2023 at 17:05.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 20:40   #4955

I am planning to get one from the US for my Seltos 2023 GTX+. Confused between these two:
1. Viofo 229 Plus 2Ch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKX14L34
2. Vantrue S1 Pro: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL4FQBQV

Almost decided on the Vantrue, as I prefer better visibility on the front camera, given that both come with a Starvis 2 sensor.

Also, I went through the thread and found out that Viofo does not give any warranty for the dashcams bought in the US - hence, I am more inclined towards Vantrue at this time. I know Vantrue has no presence in India, but I have heard good things on online forums about the brand.

Any suggestions/opinions would be great.
Old 22nd November 2023, 12:59   #4956
BHPian

I have been wanting to get a Dashcam for my 6 year old Nexon for years but never really got to it. Every year for its anniversary (Nov 21), I investigate for couple of hours but never get to make the purchase. This year I forgot its birthday and only realized it while typing this message. ��

My kids turned 18 and have started driving the car occasionally and I need to get it done now.

Can you recommend 2-3 good dual dashcams on offer today?

Budget is 15k all inclusive.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 22nd November 2023 at 13:00. Reason: Grammar
Old 22nd November 2023, 15:13   #4957

I have been planning to install the Dashcam in my XUV700. After going through the reviews on the forum Viofo looks like a preferred choice. I had shortlisted the Viofo A139 Pro which is listed at Rs 33,999 on the India Website. As my brother is flying down from US in the December i casually checked the same model on Amazon US and its listed for $207 (Black Friday Deal). I understand that i will not get the warranty in India but I am really tempted to order it from US looking at the price which is almost half compared to the price in India.

Is it worth taking the risk of not having the warranty?

Thanks
khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 15:55   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Can you recommend 2-3 good dual dashcams on offer today?

Budget is 15k all inclusive.
Nexdigitron is having a sale right now. Check out DDPAI Z50 - https://www.nexdigitron.com/collecti...s/z50-dual-gps

Its available for 15k right now & is a pretty good deal for that price. You can install it yourself or pay 1000-1200 for installation.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 22:56   #4959

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
I have been planning to install the Dashcam in my XUV700. After going through the reviews on the forum Viofo looks like a preferred choice. I had shortlisted the Viofo A139 Pro which is listed at Rs 33,999 on the India Website. As my brother is flying down from US in the December i casually checked the same model on Amazon US and its listed for $207 (Black Friday Deal). I understand that i will not get the warranty in India but I am really tempted to order it from US looking at the price which is almost half compared to the price in India.

Is it worth taking the risk of not having the warranty?

Thanks
I am in the same boat. I had finalized A229 Plus 2CH which is ~USD200 including CPL vs 27k here. I chatted with Mr. Vijay and he indicated that viofo.in prices were inflexible (contrary to what I had read elsewhere on this thread).

I am wondering whether it's a better idea to buy a pair of A119 Mini 2 which will be like extra USD40 but with almost a guarantee that both devices will not fail simultaneously.

Solicit advice on pros and cons of 2CH vs 2x1CH, especially considering the specific devices A229 plus and A119 Mini 2, since the viofos seems to be quite sturdy and reliable
Old 23rd November 2023, 07:56   #4960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklucky View Post
I am in the same boat. I had finalized A229 Plus 2CH which is ~USD200 including CPL vs 27k here. I chatted with Mr. Vijay and he indicated that viofo.in prices were inflexible (contrary to what I had read elsewhere on this thread).
No, ita better to buy a single A229 plus as if you have a separate rear cam you will need an additional power source as well.

Secondly, look for the unit on amazon or ask Vijay to activate the listing there for you. You can use various discounts offered by banks, cards or vouchers to bring the price down. He usually only discounts end of life products.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 10:40   #4961

Hey Guys,

Went through this entire post over several hours, but still not having clarity on what dashcam I should be buying for my car.

I have a BMW 3 Series [330 Li] which is about 11 months old. I realized the importance of the dashcam and have been researching since yest.

My initial budget was very low but then as I kept researching, I understood the importance of having a good device - you rather have a good device that protects you during mishap than have something that is ineffective. So I am okay to spend what is necessary for a flagship product as a one time investment.

I see that the latest VIOFO models have been launched and are available in stock with the Starvis 2 lens (which seems to be a massive improvement)

So I am confused between VIOFO A229 Pro / Plus (4k vs 2k models)
I was impressed with 3channel vs the 2 channel (so kinda convinced with the 3ch ones)
I also heard some decent reviews about Wolfbox [3ch model number is the G890]
I was not too impressed with the other budget brands such as Qubo or 70mai (or Am i missing something here?)

Also I don't want any ugly wires dangling around my car - if I go for hardwiring will it void my BMW warranty? Clearly don't want that. I checked with BMW dealer and he mentioned their dashcam is around 65K (which is kinda crazy)

Given these, kindly recommend the best model / brand that I should go with - I need to take a decision ASAP - I am driving to Goa on Dec 1 for couple of weeks and would love to have the dashcam installed before that.

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd November 2023, 11:30   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzen6 View Post
Given these, kindly recommend the best model / brand that I should go with - I need to take a decision ASAP - I am driving to Goa on Dec 1 for couple of weeks and would love to have the dashcam installed before that.

Thanks in advance!
I suggest you decide on the following:

2 Channel vs 3 Channels: Do you really need a 3 Channel? What reasons? Issue with 3 Channels is the video quality from other channels will be compromised for the 3rd additional channel. Also, you will be needing a higher capacity memory card which will be going through multiple read writes and need to be aware of its impacts on video quality/availability. I would suggest go for a 3CH dashcam option, but leave the 3rd channel as a future option that could be added (Viofo has such 3Ch options)

Hardwiring: Check with BMW reg any warranty issues for tapping the fuse box for dashcam. If its ok, then best to go for hardwiring. Your 12V socket/USB port will be free and also wiring will be completely hidden. Usage of parking modes if needed is an additional benefit from hardwiring, but it can be optional and you can turn it off, if that mode is not needed. If you plan to decide to wire it from 12V socket (is also fine), the wiring is more or less a DIY job, and can be done much neatly.

4K vs 2K resolution: Do you need 4K resolution for Front camera or ok with 2K resolution for both front and back? I believe you need HDR and going for cameras with Starvis 2 sensor is much beneficial for HDR and low light recording conditions.

Accessories included/available: Having CPL filters, cables, installation tools and hardwiring kits being available from manufacturer. Viofo flares well in this category (some of these accessories are optional across various Viofo models available). Otherwise, you will end up spending more for such items sometimes or they may not be available also.

I would suggest either of the following:
Viofo A 139 Pro 3CH (get as 2 channel)
Viofo A 229 Pro 3CH (get as 2 channel, latest with Starvis 2 sensor)

I have got the Viofo 139 Pro, which is actually a 3CH dashcam, but I am only using 2 CH currently and I can upgrade to 3rd channel in future, if needed. Also the camera came with CPL filters, cables, etc in the box. I only bought the SDcard and hardwiring kit extra for this and did the installation as DIY. Check this post for more info: Link (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 11:51   #4963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzen6 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I suggest you decide on the following:

[

Cheers,
narayanang76
I will help summarise Narayans brilliant response.

1. Buy the A229 Pro 2 Ch if you have the money for it. Else buy the A229 Plus 2 Ch if on a budget.

2. Do not hardwire. Instead wait for viofo india to launch OBD cables compatible to wire the dash cam. Until then wire it to the lighter port. Simple and effective. Wires CAN be hidden subject to car inspection and a smart guy at it.

3. Avoid hardwiring to protect your BMW warranty since BMW sells their own dashcam and will try and scare you. The OBD cable can be disconnected whenever you want by yourself. No warranty loss.

Enjoy your goa drive!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 12:18   #4964

Thanks a ton @narayanang76 and @Red Liner for your prompt response and help!

I was keen on 3ch mainly because I wanted to capture some moments with my fellow passengers while driving the car - safety of course as well on those rare situations of some incident happening inside. You are suggesting I skip this?

On the hardwiring, I spoke to Mr Vijay - he said you can do that and just disconnect it before giving it to service.[He didn't mention about the OBD] You guys are suggesting that I just do it through the lighter port - are you sure there won't be wires dangling around because of this? Will ask Vijay to recommend some good mechanic in Bangalore who can do this.

You guys don't believe the 4k model is worth the extra 10k in terms of the overall quality? Because I was wondering if this is crucial to capture details during an unforeseen event or even while driving through scenic places [given that I usually travel at higher speeds predominantly in the highways]
Old 23rd November 2023, 12:48   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklucky View Post
I am wondering whether it's a better idea to buy a pair of A119 Mini 2 which will be like extra USD40 but with almost a guarantee that both devices will not fail simultaneously
In my previous vehicle I was using A139 Starvis1 3Ch (now listed in classifieds) with a 512GB card. And before the A139 3Ch I was using two A129 Duo's in same vehicle which could take 256GB card each for a total combined storage of 512GB.

Powering the rear camera is as easy or as difficult as pulling the video cable to the rear cam and sometimes powering the rear camera separately is infact easier than pulling the video cable to the rear. I have hardwired the rear camera when running separates.

In the current vehicle I did not want to re-use the A139 so I bought two Mini2's for the front and the rear. Sort of going back to the old setup I had with two A129 Duo's. I chose two Mini2's over the A139 Pro 4K due to the following reasons. The rear Mini2 is hardwired.
  1. Total 1TB storage, 512GB each, will not get overwritten when recording 2K, high bitrate, 60FPS.
  2. 2K, high bitrate and 60FPS both channels with less heat (as observed).
  3. Redundancy, can swap cameras (or cards) but VIOFOs are generally reliable.
  4. Same FOV front and rear, personal preference.
  5. 2K Starvis2 of Mini2 is better at night than 4K Starvis2 of A139 Pro.
  6. 2K Front and 2K rear, instead of 4K front and FHD rear of A139 Pro.
Note: A229 was not launched then, but it would not met points 1, 2, 3.

Cons: Not as easy for syncing/retrieving files or starting locked recording but can be done using bluetooth button (which I have) if needed but haven't used the button since storage is abundant.

Generally with VIOFO what I have observed is that if they say the camera can take 128GB card it will reliably work with 256GB (eg. was using my A129Duo with 256GB) and if they say it will take 256GB card it will reliably work with 512GB (eg. was using my A139 with 512GB). Now they are saying the Mini2 works with 512GB card and I am wondering if it would take 1TB I don't have 1TB card to check.

Last edited by Sankar : 23rd November 2023 at 13:14.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks