Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2023, 10:40   #4846
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Hi everyone, I want to get a dashcam for my Hector but I'm currently clueless about the options. I understand it can either be powered to the USB/ 12V socket or hardwired to the fuse box. What are the pros and cons of both? If USB/ 12V is the better choice, how can I conceal the wiring without impacting airbag function?
In terms of installation, is there any brand that has its own installation team? I don't have a reliable FNG as of now so I'm conscious of ending up with shoddy installation.
Old 4th October 2023, 16:20   #4847
BHPian

I just got the Venue Knight Edition. It has a factory fitted dashcam. However since it is a newly released model, the dealership technician has no clue about it other than switching it on or off. He could not even tell about the capacity of the microSD card or the manufacturer of the dashcam. Even the manual is of old “New Venue” with no mention of the dashcam. When i switched it on I immediately saw that it has become a hotspot. I want to switch off the WiFi. Any idea how to do this? Also a link to any manual for Hyundai dash am would be very useful. Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 18:01   #4848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post

Front and rear video sample footage for members reference:

Cheers,
narayanang76
So far, I am very happy with the Viofo A139 Pro 2 Channel dashcam experience, the front camera is crystal clear, even two wheeler number plates can be taken mostly, if needed. Rear camera is okayish, FHD quality video is clear enough so far.

Additionally sharing few night time videos, one rainy night video from the dashcam, for reference.

Front Camera - Night (watch in 4K):

Rear Camera - Night (watch in FHD):

Front Camera - Rainy Night - drizzling (watch in 4K):

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post

One query, on your front dashcam. Since it is exactly behind the IRVM, did you check if during rains front wiper will clear the view of the dashcam? .
SRVM, I checked it after you mentioned this and I was glad that the camera was installed well within the wiper clearance field, for both front and rear cameras. I also got to test the camera during last weekend, when it started raining during a night drive.

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 22:03   #4849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek.vnit View Post

Also, can I connect this camera to a USB port instead of a 12 Volt socket?

Thanks for your help,
Best Regards,
I don't think there will be a problem connecting it to USB. Just make sure the USB isn't always on (meaning it should shut off when you turn off the engine) to avoid draining the battery.
RGCST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:43   #4850

After going through a lot of the messages in this forum, I’m trying to narrow down to a mirror dashcam.

Need some advice from the experts in the group on two aspects:
  • Power connection: I don’t want to hard wire the dash cam. And I believe the 12v socket in the Virtus stays on even after the car is switched off. Can the dashcam be connected to the usb type c port? Are there any issues in doing that?
  • Wolfbox G840H vs. 70 MAI - which one would be better? Any other mirror dashcams that you’d recommend?
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Old 6th October 2023, 02:31   #4851
BHPian

Very informative thread. I am looking for a dashcam for my car and this thread has been immensely helpful. Viofo seems to be well recommended. I was looking up about the 129 pro 2ch and there are many stories of it overheating? I am wondering how it'd perform in our scorching hot summers? Has anyone had it through the summer?

Also, do we really need 4k to capture number plates? I think 4k mode generates too much heat and, in most cases, 2k should suffice?
Old 6th October 2023, 09:08   #4852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Also, do we really need 4k to capture number plates? I think 4k mode generates too much heat and, in most cases, 2k should suffice?
To be honest, 2k resolution is sufficient for clear visibility of the number plate, while 4k is just an extra peace of mind.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 20:13   #4853
BHPian

Is it worth to buy the dashcam from USA? The viofo A139 pro is retailing at ~330$ there whereas its cost in India is 38k.
has anyone bought it from united states?
Old 9th October 2023, 08:03   #4854

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
Hello, I have the AX7 but I still did not connect the dashcam to the USB ports and I suggest to you also to connect it to the fuse box.
You can check out nexdigitron.com for dashcams. 70mai has been chosen by a lot of people and seems to be the most reliable of them all with good video quality. I bought the 70mai A500s(front and rear), which is more than sufficient.
I got it done at https://goo.gl/maps/q3tMmJ75SqPUkit39 , for 1000 rupees (all the wiring done to the fusebox).
No issues till now but it's just been little over a month. If you are going ahead with connection to the fuse buy the fuse adapters if compatible with your dashcam of choice. Feel free to PM me if you want any other answers.
I bought the new Kia Seltos facelift and am planning to install the 70mai dual-channel dashcam. Would you recommend hardwiring it? Does it void warranty?
aakashsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 10:19   #4855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakashsood View Post
I bought the new Kia Seltos facelift and am planning to install the 70mai dual-channel dashcam. Would you recommend hardwiring it? Does it void warranty?
If you are buying the dashcam from the dealer and its in the Kia accessories list, hardwiring the same would not void warranty. If you are buying dashcam from outside and installing it outside then hardwiring the same would void warranty. One of the arm twisting tactics by the OEM generally.

Which 70mai model are you planning to install? Suggest to use one of the USB or the cigarette lighter points to power up the dashcam unless you need the parking surveillance option.
Old 9th October 2023, 11:18   #4856

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you are buying the dashcam from the dealer and its in the Kia accessories list, hardwiring the same would not void warranty. If you are buying dashcam from outside and installing it outside then hardwiring the same would void warranty. One of the arm twisting tactics by the OEM generally.

Which 70mai model are you planning to install? Suggest to use one of the USB or the cigarette lighter points to power up the dashcam unless you need the parking surveillance option.
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for A400, but I read some folks complaining about the glare issue, so I might switch to 500s pro+. Also, I don't think I'll need the parking surveillance as I live an a society, but I thought having an additional feature never hurts.
Do you think it drains battery at a rapid pace? I read somewhere that if you don't use your car for 2 consecutive days, battery gets drained completely.
Old 9th October 2023, 11:41   #4857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakashsood View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for A400, but I read some folks complaining about the glare issue, so I might switch to 500s pro+. Also, I don't think I'll need the parking surveillance as I live an a society, but I thought having an additional feature never hurts.
Do you think it drains battery at a rapid pace? I read somewhere that if you don't use your car for 2 consecutive days, battery gets drained completely.
I do have the A400 installed in my car and till date the performance has been flawless. Yes there is a glare of the dashboard in the videos/pics but nothing which will be a deal breaker. Unfortunately there isnt any CPL filter either for this model.

Reg the battery drain, I havent till date experienced any. Even after the car was unused for 15 days, the dashcam sprung to life at the start of the car and worked seamlessly.

I have used the USB slot to power the dashcam rather than hard wiring.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:15   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Hardwiring a dashcam using fuse box and not involving any wire cut/splicing does not void warranty.
Old 9th October 2023, 13:59   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Hardwiring a dashcam using fuse box and not involving any wire cut/splicing does not void warranty.
I was told by Tata that it does void warranty if any external device is connected to the fuse box during my discussions for dashcam installation as it interferes with the distribution of power. Tata's don't even entertain installing the dashcams bought from outside.
Old 10th October 2023, 00:02   #4860
BHPian

Was looking for a Dashcam for quite some time now. However, I never got a chance nor interest to buy one as spending 5-6k on a Dashcam didn't make sense to me, until recently when a lot of road rage incidents started to come into light being caught on Dashcam. This is when I started to look for one seriously.

Come september 2023, a random conversation with my cousin who was also looking for a Dashcam influenced me to look for one in the USA. As my parents were supposed to travel back, I thought this to be a good opportunity to get one. I took to Amazon.com and all of a sudden I see this Dashcam from DDPAI, the mini pro, available for just 25$ plus taxes which came up to around 2.3k INR.
DDPAI Mini Pro on Amazon.com
DDPAI Mini Pro on Amazon India
The deal was too good to leave, so I immediately ordered one. This Dashcam costs 3.8k at it's least during a sale here in India. So I saved a good 45-50% on this.

Further I didn't feel the need for parking monitoring and so just went ahead with regular installation. The wire is router through the A pillar trim and below the dashboard into the charging socket and is concealed well enough.

Coming to the camera itself, I can't see it's great, but what can one expect for under 2.5k. But still, it does a decent job. I am using a 128gb sd card as of now.

The Dashcam in place.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20231009_172255114.jpg

A look from inside.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20231009_171511050.jpg

Easter egg:
The US version gets BIS Certification too😅
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20231009_1728168732.jpg
vishal21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed