Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2023, 13:14   #4816
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCST View Post
If number plate visibility is your main concern, you need Starvis 2 sensor based Dashcams. In USA, Viofo has A229 plus which has 2k front + rear cam, both with Starvis 2. Check it out on the Viofo.com website. Otherwise even Starvis 1 sensors like the ones in the other Viofo dashcams can give you good video though they may struggle reading licence plates in low light. Check out reviews on Youtube on Vortex radar, Blackboxmycar and Safe drive solutions. They give detailed reviews with footage samples
Viofo has something with the starvis 2 sensor in India as well but its a 4k + 1080 unit https://viofo.in/product/viofo-a139-...imx678-sensor/

But its only the front which is starvis 2. Rear is starvis 1.

Was also just informed by Viofo that the 229 is launching here in 25 days. 229 is starvis 2 all around and comes with a screen to view footage without the app/phone thing.

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th September 2023 at 13:17.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 18:08   #4817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Viofo has something with the starvis 2 sensor in India as well but its a 4k + 1080 unit https://viofo.in/product/viofo-a139-...imx678-sensor/
I got this Viofo A139 Pro dual channel dashcam recently and I have shared my initial experience along with sample footage. Post (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Like you mentioned, front camera has Starvis 2 sensor and does 4K recording. Rear can record only 1080P, in this dashcam.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 19:04   #4818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I got this Viofo A139 Pro dual channel dashcam recently and I have shared my initial experience along with sample footage. Post (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Like you mentioned, front camera has Starvis 2 sensor and does 4K recording. Rear can record only 1080P, in this dashcam.
Superb. Just read your user review. I watched both videos. Front is crystal clear. But the rear looks boggy. I tried to see if I could read the number plates on the rear but I wasnt able to on my phone. Is it visible on your laptop?

That said, would a starvis 2 based rear cam on 1080p provide better visibility both at night and day than the starvis 1 based 1080 that comes on the 139? Wonder if there are any YouTube videos comparing the both.
Old 28th September 2023, 04:30   #4819
BHPian

Hi..

Noob question.. But question nonetheless.. and lots are 70mai dashcam owners, so does the ADAS work well? Is it really useful? Does one prioritise this feature to buy a 70mai or should one stick to (the generally much more expensive) Viofo? Any feedback/opinions between 70mai A810 vs Viofo A129 Pro Duo ultra?

Thank you soo much!!

Vikram
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 07:20   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Hi..

Noob question.. But question nonetheless.. and lots are 70mai dashcam owners, so does the ADAS work well? Is it really useful? Does one prioritise this feature to buy a 70mai or should one stick to (the generally much more expensive) Viofo? Any feedback/opinions between 70mai A810 vs Viofo A129 Pro Duo ultra?

Thank you soo much!!

Vikram
I had a 70mai dash cam with ADAS feature. Let me tell you that it is purely a gimmick. It works so slow that a vehicle will pass you closely, you will see it react to it and after the vehicle is clear the camera will warn you about it. It works better when stationary for when a vehicle in front starts moving and it gives you an audible warning that the vehicle in front is moving otherwise in a moving vehicle it is too slow to be useful.
cryptarchy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 07:49   #4821
Distinguished - BHPian

How important is a super capacitor? Looks like none of the 70mai cameras have this?
Old 28th September 2023, 10:00   #4822

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have a 70mai A400 dashcam installed in my Harrier which is of same length as the Safari. The dashcam consists of front and rear cams and the rear cam is powered by front cam. The length of the cable was approx 10 mtrs and sufficient to run till the rear cam location.

Generally the units offering rear cams do have the cable lengths sufficient enough for an SUV.
Thanks. I have ordered the Z40 finally. Will post again with my installation experience in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If the internal battery has failed and you will not replace it, better to connect it to the fuse for continuous power supply (I feel)
Would that not drain the car battery fully since this dashcam model most likely does not support a parking mode with power connected?
Also, in my specific case, the car is parked in a closed compound, so parking monitoring isn't a strong requirement most of the time. I understand that parked on the street, I am vulnerable.
I do intend to change the battery inside the dashcam eventually. I am just being lazy there.

Quote:
Hi..

Noob question.. But question nonetheless.. and lots are 70mai dashcam owners, so does the ADAS work well? Is it really useful? Does one prioritise this feature to buy a 70mai or should one stick to (the generally much more expensive) Viofo?
Vikram
The ADAS feature is a joke atleast on my 70MAI Pro. The only time it may help is when you are distracted looking at your phone on a traffic sign and the vehicle ahead of you moves when the traffic sign turns green. But again, the vehicle behind you will alert you anyway if you are in India.
The lane departure warning doesn't always work and the "beware of the vehicle ahead" warning will be heard after the crash if you don't break looking at the vehicle yourself.
I would not bother about the ADAS features in a dashcam. Not connected to the car (engine/breaks), it does not add much value.

Thanks,
abhishek.vnit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 10:48   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How important is a super capacitor? Looks like none of the 70mai cameras have this?
The biggest advantage of Capacitor based dashcams as they are said is their ability to operate in extreme weather conditions i.e high temperatures which the Li-on battery dashcam supposedly cannot operate. Other than that capacitor dashcams don't offer any significant feature which Li-on battery operated provide.

If living in metros or Tier 2/3 cities where the operating temperature are within the design temp of battery operated dashcams, its fair to use them. Plus they are quite low priced when compared to capacitor based dashcams. 70mai dashcams are no different in this.

I had Yi dashcam in my previous car and it worked well being a battery operated unit.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 12:51   #4824
BHPian

Hi All, I have finally ordered one ROVE R3 from US for $199 while same was at Amazon US approx ~ $300.
Key features: ROVE R3, 3 Channel Touch Screen Dash Cam with Built-in Dual-Band 5GHz WiFi, Built-in GPS, 24 Hr Parking Monitor, Super Capacitor, WDR, G-Sensor, Night Vision.

What I feel now, all the dash cam are more or less and rebadging being done.
Old 28th September 2023, 14:10   #4825

The local VW dealer in Pune is offering the DHC C01 dashcam ( front and rear) for Around Rs 17.5k including fitting.

Tried to find reviews about this product but not much luck. Also their website does not say if the product has Li-ion or capacitor type batteries. Anyone heard about this brand?
http://www.dhcindia.com/dhc-dashcam.html
hemya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:16   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Generally the units offering rear cams do have the cable lengths sufficient enough for an SUV.
For Viofo A139 Pro 2CH Dashcam, the rear camera comes with 6M cable. It was more than sufficient for installation. I had to even fold a good extra length of cable to be hidden away. Cable routing was done on the top side of the car, in my case (Fortuner).

Quote:
I tried to see if I could read the number plates on the rear but I wasnt able to on my phone. Is it visible on your laptop?

That said, would a starvis 2 based rear cam on 1080p provide better visibility both at night and day than the Starvis 1 based 1080 that comes on the 139? Wonder if there are any YouTube videos comparing the both.
Watching from laptop, I can see the number plates at 2-3 places only during that video I shared from my rear camera. Number plate reading isn't easy from this rear camera, due to sensor, and having lower resolution.

What I read about Starvis 2 sensor it is highlighted as ' better low light sensor', so night vision is expected be better with that sensor. And there are some Viofo models A119 Mini, that has Starvis 2 sensor, offering 2K resolutions, do check them out. https://viofo.in/product/viofo-a119-...ge-sensor-hdr/

Quote:
How important is a super capacitor?
My previous Dashcam was having Li batteries, I used 2 of them for 8+ years without issues. However the environment we are using if its extreme temperatures, then better to stay away from batteries. Also batteries can fail, expand and damage the cameras in those cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemya View Post
Also their website does not say if the product has Li-ion or capacitor type batteries. Anyone heard about this brand?
http://www.dhcindia.com/dhc-dashcam.html
Check with contact number mentioned on their site to confirm. On Amazon, the camera specifications says Battery Required as No. it must be capacitor based I assume.

cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:52   #4827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post

Watching from laptop, I can see the number plates at 2-3 places only during that video I shared from my rear camera. Number plate reading isn't easy from this rear camera, due to sensor, and having lower resolution.

What I read about Starvis 2 sensor it is highlighted as ' better low light sensor', so night vision is expected be better with that sensor. And there are some Viofo models A119 Mini, that has Starvis 2 sensor, offering 2K resolutions, do check them out. https://viofo.in/product/viofo-a119-...ge-sensor-hdr/

cheers,
narayanang76
Thank you for writing back. One more follow on. Between a 4k resolution and starvis 1 and a 2k res and starvis 2, which combo would you pick?
Old 28th September 2023, 16:15   #4828
BHPian

Viofo A139 Pro comes with 2 electrostatic stickers. Can we use one of the sticker on the rear windshield which has defogger lines. Is it safe to use the sticker on rear windshield. Thanks.
Old 28th September 2023, 16:19   #4829
BHPian

Any feedback/opinions between 70mai A810 vs Viofo A129 Pro Duo ultra? Is the Viofo worth the extra bucks?
Old 28th September 2023, 16:37   #4830
BHPian

Quote:
Hi..

Thank you soo much!!

Vikram
Using the 70mai dash cam or a month now. there are 3 main "ADAS" features:
1. Lane departure (works ok on highways)
2. Vehicle ahead motion (useful but can get annoying in traffic)
3. Vehicle ahead detection (too slow to be useful)

You can surely live without these features. M300 + rear cam will do most of the job.
Shrek8421 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks